Das Busts

JohanLitvisk

Aug 28, 2015
Seeing as how issues about the accuracy between busts and in-game descriptions has suddenly cropped up, I've made this thread for people that want to talk about these things outside of "just turn off busts lol". It should prevent necro'd threads from being re-necro'd.

Reactions: CloudStriker

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
For some characters, there are multiple busts to choose from, so there you can always choose the ones that fit the description best. On the other hand, it's an extra expense for Fen to get Shou/Adjatha/whoever is the "official" artist now to go redo a number of pictures, unless they are simple edits.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wish the artists would at least TRY to be accurate with the characters when it comes to body part sizes like they're portrayed in the game. I mean really if I suddenly wanted to commission some artist to do an artwork bust of a character for a game I'd want it to be as accurate as possible with their in game physical description to the sized and look of their body parts. Sure I'd give a little creative leeway but keep it as accurate to the ingame look as possible, it's what I'd be paying for and not something else.

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
Sometimes I feel like the artists should take time to read through the scenes instead of just a quick, sometimes lacking, character bio sheet. Prime example, Ceria's nude bust is missing her "gloves" (and full version her "socks") even though they are skin mods. This wasn't properly conveyed in the character sheet. Another example, one that I actually was able to catch during production, Jacques' Liliana was missing her right arm instead of her left.

I know going through the scenes takes more time, but it also reduces chances of inconsistencies. At the very least a thorough reading of the in-game appearance would help since sometimes those are more fleshed out than the original bio-sheet.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wish the artists would at least TRY to be accurate with the characters when it comes to body part sizes like they're portrayed in the game.
This. Not everyone believes that bigger=better. When I see Ajatha's bust I want to poke it with a needle. Because all of them look like inflatable toys, pressurized to the bursting point.

MESeele

Aug 26, 2015
This is starting to sound like an echo chamber. I also agree, but it is what it is, and is unlikely to change now. Which I admit is unfortunate.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
I vastly prefer the less stylized and, for lack of a better word, more realistic looking busts (and for the most part erotic art in general), as well as those that come as close as possible to capturing every detail of the portrayed character. Shou, Jacques and Cheshire are my go to bust choices wherever possible.

But that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy a hyper-stylized ones, or have some exceptions that I adore despite serious liberties the author took with the character's appearance. Case in point: the old, pixely Guts' busts still make me smile every time I see them, so they get chosen on occasion and ManicPaint's bust for Lieve is my all time favorite despite getting a couple of pretty important details of her description wrong.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
I vastly prefer the less stylized and, for lack of a better word, more realistic looking busts (and for the most part erotic art in general), as well as those that come as close as possible to capturing every detail of the portrayed character. Shou, Jacques and Cheshire are my go to bust choices wherever possible.

But that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy a hyper-stylized ones, or have some exceptions that I adore despite serious liberties the author took with the character's appearance. Case in point: the old, pixely Guts' busts still make me smile every time I see them, so they get chosen on occasion and ManicPaint's bust for Lieve is my all time favorite despite getting a couple of pretty important details of her description wrong.
Well, you have the luck to have the same fetish.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
Well, you have the luck to have the same fetish.

More like - I'm lucky enough to have some tolerance build up when it comes those stylistic choices and don't have a knee-jerk negative reaction towards those fetishes.

Also to have a common decency not to be so judgmental and dismissive of someone else's work.:colbert:

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
Fen knows exactly what he's going to get when he commissions, say, Adjatha. Artists simply have their own style.

HugsAlright

Pets'R'Us
Creator
Jul 11, 2016
I'm pretty sure I like all of the bust art in the game. I enjoy the stylized art, it seems to fit TiTS' setting pretty well, even if it exaggerates some of a character's parts a bit.
You can tell there's been a lot of work put into it all, and watching Shou's, Adj's, and Jacques' streams shows that. I'm always a fan of Cheshire's stuff (nude Syri bust when?), and Adj's art style is probably one of my favourites.

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
Sometimes I feel like the artists should take time to read through the scenes instead of just a quick, sometimes lacking, character bio sheet. Prime example, Ceria's nude bust is missing her "gloves" (and full version her "socks") even though they are skin mods. This wasn't properly conveyed in the character sheet. Another example, one that I actually was able to catch during production, Jacques' Liliana was missing her right arm instead of her left.

I know going through the scenes takes more time, but it also reduces chances of inconsistencies. At the very least a thorough reading of the in-game appearance would help since sometimes those are more fleshed out than the original bio-sheet.

This is often down to lack of communication more than anything. Adjatha and Shou hang out with Fen and Savin, so the busts for their characters are usually exactly what they're after - they're constantly talking to and sharing work with one another. For most characters though, the artists get given the appearance blurb (if the NPC has one, if not a few notes) and nothing else. And there are a lot of them. The onus is really on the writer to get in contact and provide more info and a better sense of who the character is, if they want better crafted busts. I learned this to my own bitter regret with Gene. On the flipside I discussed the tarratch with Shou throughout her drawing of them, and got something much closer to what I had imagined as a result.

Stylistically, I also like Gats' sketches the best, as those allow the words and your imagination do the work whilst still being personable and cute. Same face inevitably creeps into the other ones, unfortunately.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
To be fair I always have trouble imagining your characters. :c

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Adj is good artist for more stacked charas both male and females. As my fired said once: you into more stacked charas drawning when I'm into more petite. So could say in a way Adj is like me in past. Now we need to get good/decent artist for those "petite" ones npc ^^

HugsAlright

Pets'R'Us
Creator
Jul 11, 2016
I also like Gats' sketches the best, as those allow the words and your imagination do the work whilst still being personable and cute.

Huh, that's actually a really good way of putting it. I like Gats' sketches a lot, especially Kiro and Celise. I used to always use his sketches for Anno and Syri because like you said, they let you use your imagination a bit more than the heavily detail and stylized bust. Plus Gats is just good in general, like this.

Too bad his patreon closed before I could reap the benefits.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
I like the smaller Adj and Jacques busts.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Ohh Adj made also some less stacked pics too? Which ones of ingames ones pics are in that style?

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
Remember I said smaller, not small, lol.

Lashcharge

Aug 27, 2015
I started putting images that have nothing to do with TiTS in that category, but kinda got lazy at the end. There are a lot of them and they need to be marked for deletion.

If you want you can go through this page and mark the rest for deletion or categorise them appropriately.

EDIT: They need to be marked with a {{delete}} tag.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
Thanks for the replies! I keep on forgetting Trello exists.

Brock

Outside of the game itself, is there a place where the busts are compiled? I know this is kinda off topic (and I'm really really sorry! please don't hate me over it!!) but this is the only thread I could find with "Busts" in it and was wondering if anyone here knew anything? I tried the wiki with only mild success in finding what I was looking for.

JDeko

Aug 27, 2015
Kekistan
www.facebook.com
This is often down to lack of communication more than anything. Adjatha and Shou hang out with Fen and Savin, so the busts for their characters are usually exactly what they're after - they're constantly talking to and sharing work with one another. For most characters though, the artists get given the appearance blurb (if the NPC has one, if not a few notes) and nothing else. And there are a lot of them. The onus is really on the writer to get in contact and provide more info and a better sense of who the character is, if they want better crafted busts. I learned this to my own bitter regret with Gene. On the flipside I discussed the tarratch with Shou throughout her drawing of them, and got something much closer to what I had imagined as a result.

Stylistically, I also like Gats' sketches the best, as those allow the words and your imagination do the work whilst still being personable and cute. Same face inevitably creeps into the other ones, unfortunately.

I miss Gats' Tower Girls art so much. I say it every time this thread comes up but those cutesy, non sexualized busts are what won me over to TiTS. Cheshire is pretty awesome as well.

Reactions: Ormael

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
I agree of sexualized ones pics to be Chesshire the best ones. Well not that Shou ones are so much behind but for someone else Shou ones may be tiny bit better than Chess. Ah well nature of persnal preferences.

Also better hting is Github to look for high ress pics as trello for tits is private anyway atm so only those who Fen graced with access may use it.

Reactions: Brock

Doodlecat

Dec 13, 2016
Argentina
Going back to the original topic about descriptions and in-game busts:
after seeing the Github folder of high-res pics, there's quite the editing. Sometimes they're side flipped, and others badly cropped.
The in-game purple border around the portrait also takes a good chunk off the pic: more than once I didn't noticed the extra equipment of some "girls" (noticeable on Gats pics for example). Kiro for example, has 3 stages of ball-swelling, yet you can barely see them in-game (actually, there's no ball-swelling pic for when she's clothed, though it would be really simple to edit).
Others don't seem implemented: for example, while there's a nude HR pic (Jacques00) of Penny with the biggest size of horse cock (reaches his boobs, easily seen-able in-game), the game displays a nude Penny, sans cock.
And some others are missing... I found the game on a old download of an X site, then came here and found the newer ones. In the old one there was an incredible pic for Jade (probably the best image I've seen on the game), but now she has an Adjatha pic.

As far as art itself:
-Gats is technically one the best. It looks proffessional, and the sketchy look is obviously intentional, it's his own style. Doesn't works for me tho, since it lacks completely of erotism and they look more like a catalog rather than a visual interpretation of character or personality, -again, just my personal taste-, but can't deny the quality and the skill (tho I couldn't judge just based on tiny pics :p ). They would work perfect for the Codex tho, and I'm glad it's there.

-Chesire is pretty good, and I use most of their pics when possible. There might be some exceptions here and there, mostly because -precisley- the usual "chesire smile" their chars have gets tiresome, or don't fit the role.

-Adjatha is probably the one I use more (few exceptions, like his Kelly who I find horrible) despite not being too good. Contrary to Gats, while it's not nearly as good as base drawing, the style fits more what I look/want: over erotic and exaggerated. Plus, the somewhat cartoony, simplier lines and fancier colors work better in small pics.

-Jacques00 is pretty good too, tho there's some things he can't define well, generally speaking it's one of the best, and use his pics when possible. The only problem is that since he's more realistic and detailed, the artwork kinda get lost in small pics.

-Jay_Echo is good, but like Jacques, his works gets kinda lost or confusing in-game. Still needs to "fix" some anatomy issues... I've been avoiding Nessa because her pic drives me nuts (not in a good sense, sorry)

-Shou... sorry, but I avoid if possible. First, I simply don't like how he draw faces... no offense here, it's just personal tastes. I don't want to be offensive, and I know how it sucks when somebody criticizes one's own artwork, so I'll keep the technical stuff for myself (or a more private discussion, this is not to openly talk without... consecuences, let's say ). Still, he did a butt-ton of pics, and did a more than decent Renvra which most likely wouldn't replace if ever gets a new pic.

Last edited: