Updating My Own Endeavors

Xell

Dec 30, 2015
Hello again!

While back I asked this forum what would best for a beginner looking to break into the world game creation.  That thread can be found here .  Since many people kindly took the time to answer my question, I thought it only fair that I let everyone know that I did take their advice to heart.  I decided to go the html5/javascript route and using canvas as my display, I am slowly creating my own game...albeit slowly.  Learning how to do this from zero previous knowledge has been as fun and exciting as playing the various games creators such as fen have toiled over.

QSaJj2O.jpg

Slowly but surely its taking shape.  I've mostly been taking on this project as an excuse to learn something new that would also hold my attention while learning it.  The battle system (part of which is pictured above) is proving exceptionally fun to tinker around with!  

Anyway, the point of this post is to thank those who took time to point me in the right direction.  Although it was not my original intention to make this game available (it was supposed to be just a personal project after all) I'm slowly changing my mind about that and in the coming weeks might have a little something I'm willing to put on display.  If so, I will update this thread.  It depends.  I am horribly self-conscious.

If anyone has questions regarding the route I've taken in teaching myself what I need to know to bring such a project together, I'd be happy to give back by relating my own experiences.  Perhaps it could make the task not so daunting?

-Xell

Last edited by a moderator:

Xell

Dec 30, 2015
Aug 29th Update:

I'm getting closer to actually releasing what I've been working on but feel compelled to ask, at what point do you think an uncompleted work should be released?  As of right now I have a town completed with intro storyline and shops and npcs, along with multiple encounters, and a battle and leveling system about 90% working, and multiple win/loss/romance scenes.  That said, what's the sweet spot?

How many encounters/scenes/quests should a game have before its first release, would you say?  Do you have a preference at all?  I'd love some feedback on 'best practices'.

razorrozar

Aug 21, 2016
That sounds like way more content than a lot of games have in a third or fourth release. I'd say you could go ahead and put it out there. I've seen stuff here receive a positive response with way less content.

However, if you're not comfortable releasing it in its current form, don't. It's your game and you know how to handle it better than anyone else.

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015
I think releasing early and often is a pretty good philosophy for keeping things moving and getting feedback.

The only problem is that some releases might not generate quite as much excitement and response as you would like, which can be disappointing.

But getting feedback means you have more ability to improve the game.  A good tactic is to make a feedback forum and post it along with the game to collect information. Without feedback it’s possible to spend lots of time working on things that your users don't really care about.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
I don't think there is anything wrong with small scale early releases.  Showing off your game early on can get you valuable feedback and gets more eyes looking for problems that might be in the game.  Note that this is a small release, I do strongly recommend that you only share this early release in a few places since you do only get one shot at a really big one and you want your game to be capable of really getting people's attention on that major release.

MotoKuchoma

Nov 3, 2015
Unless you plan to sell your game, I'd disagree with the above posts. To me it looks like you want to primarily use this to learn, so there's no harm in sharing and asking for feedback as a lot of people here develop games themselves.

razorrozar

Aug 21, 2016
Unless you plan to sell your game, I'd disagree with the above posts. To me it looks like you want to primarily use this to learn, so there's no harm in sharing and asking for feedback as a lot of people here develop games themselves.

...What? You'd "disagree with the above posts", all of which advise that he share the game, and you'd instead advise that he... share the game.

Reading comprehension much?

MotoKuchoma

Nov 3, 2015
You seem to lack it. Both of them say that he should make sure the version is good or how he has only one shot etc. and I think it doesn't matter if the release isn't "good" or "exciting" as I don't think fame and fortune were what Xell has in mind.

Please, if you gotta insult me, at least try to sound intelligent.

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015
You seem to lack it. Both of them say that he should make sure the version is good or how he has only one shot etc. and I think it doesn't matter if the release isn't "good" or "exciting" as I don't think fame and fortune were what Xell has in mind.

I didn't mean in terms of trying to make money or getting famous. I just mean that from experience releasing a version of a game then having no one comment or appear to care can be disappointing. The initial release usually gets some feedback no matter what. But after that it's harder to get people to care. Of course, not everyone necessarily minds. I am just reporting on my experiences.

Xell

Dec 30, 2015
Wow, so many comments!  I think what I will do then, after reading all your replies, is throw in an options screen so that the Nice Time for Roo encounters can be avoided if that's not your thing, finish leveling system, and obfuscate main quest line a bit to promote exploration before release.