Mom's Spaghetti

argenten

Sep 9, 2015
I think the best way to do deal with vic doing the safe sex talk, would be for Vic to explain slightly more in-depth why he gave you the nursery.  From what I remember he barely touches it at all in the intro and I feel like he gave it to the PC because he regrets that he wasn't there for his other children.

An spam email is a good solution, but then again why not both.

This I like a lot, the Nursery is going to be a major mechanic, and now that it is being worked on at last, it needs to have equally impactful attention drawn to it. I also agree with the idea of Vic making a note that he's giving this option to Steele so that (s)he may avoid Victor's careless seeding of bastards hither and yon as much as may be done. It could also be expanded with hints of potential expansions to the Nursery itself to allow the devs to insert various things/people without having to be clear cut right off the bat.

It does seem simple adavance the game timer and call the next pregnancy message. Plus the whole pod thing could be sexual also. Like the egg trainer.

That's what I was going for really. It needed to move things along without breaking the game, allow for both indulgence of the preggos like me and help those skip for those who don't want to indulge, have a price without making the player grind, and yeah, it could have a certain element of sexiness for the process itself to add to the appeal of using it at all. 

For once I agree with you on something, chiefly because this would help make Vic less of a horrible asshole.

Done.  Let's never do this again.

Yeah, I'm with Couch on this one. It's help Vic look like a man that at least can see his own mistakes, even if only in hindsight. Plus it makes the Nursery more than just a baby dumping ground and gives it a bit of "You can at least keep them safe and protected...and perhaps when you settle down be able to be a better father than I ever was."

As for the STD matter...that's one element I could do without, but if it has to be in there, that seems the way to go. Anything more would drag the smut game down. Not saying that careless sex shouldn't have consequences, but there's a limit to how it'll work in game.

I mean, all things considered, that's actually be pretty appealing to certain fetish sets. You may have written something people will like enough that they want more. ;)  

Eh, I like the rut mechanic in CoC but even then I prefered being able to induce it via Ember blood or fuck draft, this definitely feels like "you were careless, this is the price. But I'd prefer if this was the limit...

Alright. We're done here.

So. Space combat.

Waaait, does this mean that the lowest voted on the 'next major mechanic' poll was done before everything else? Very sneaky Savin :p  but yes, space combat and booms ahoy! 

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
As for the STD matter...that's one element I could do without, but if it has to be in there, that seems the way to go. Anything more would drag the smut game down. Not saying that careless sex shouldn't have consequences, but there's a limit to how it'll work in game.

If people thought my reaction to pregnancy content was vitriolic hooo boy you ain't seen nothing yet.

Or not. Based Couch.

argenten

Sep 9, 2015
If people thought my reaction to pregnancy content was vitriolic hooo boy you ain't seen nothing yet.

Or not. Based Couch.

And that's always been something I've been able to respect. There's been plenty of stories and games where I'd have loved to see pregnancy included for one reason or another and had to let it go because it...simply...didn't...work. And I cannot blame you for flipping out on those that just don't get the hint.

I just don't get the reasoning for including STDs being 'realism' and I've made my opinion on that pretty clear over in the "Steele's Age" thread. If it adds 'realism' but hurts the game overall, then it's better off not being included, at least to me.

First things first: How do we make the spaceships fuck after the fight?  o_O

Honestly, I agree. To be serious: I like the low-impact nature of what you've got, and I like the bottom line of "you're not giving this to other people" even more. Throw it in the game and we can just not look at it.

Is it really something that has to be in the game? Was it an Offbeatr goal? (If so: whyyyyyyyy)

First question: Via focking bays and ship to ship tubes of course :p

Second: Seconded, with Steele it's enough that (s)he got it despite their super nanites and they can easily contain it until it passes. Otherwise it really shouldn't and doesn't need to have any further impact.

Third: See my earlier guess about 'realism' as the most likely from my pov, otherwise I have no clue and would rather daydream about getting to knock up various characters than worry about it.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Is it really something that has to be in the game? Was it an Offbeatr goal? (If so: whyyyyyyyy)

It was, because a lot of Offbeatr goals were written with "this game will be bigger and better than CoC" in mind and not much more than that.  The declaration that you can't spread SSTDs to further partners is a matter of basic sanity: there's no way NPCs could react to it outside specially written cases, so best to just say outright that Steele doesn't spread them further.

Because it was a goal that was met, Fen is legally obligated to include at least one; this should fulfill that obligation.

shadefalcon

Oct 13, 2015

It doesn't really have to be in there. I mean, it's the future. Wouldn't most diseases of that kind be avoidable through modern medicine + nanomachines son?

Sometimes an idea seems pretty good only to make you groan when you remember it...just like that very embarassing childhood/adulthood memory everyone has. Or that time you totally said to everyone you would do something only to really realize it was a really bad idea...but group pressure...or in this case legal obligation...

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Last edited by a moderator:

shadefalcon

Oct 13, 2015
Yeah, it's not like I designed, wrote, and had implemented several large projects designed to feed into that system. Like all of Kara's stuff.

:negative:

Poor you Savin.

...I was also looking forward to the faction system...

Is there no hope? No small chance that it can be picked up again in the future?

...no? *sniff

Lashcharge

Aug 27, 2015
Yeah space combat is kinda important. What happens after the player beats the ship, but not the crew? Last I heard if you beat the ship it would trigger the crew combat with a buff, and a debuff if ship combat was lost.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Poor you Savin.

...no? *sniff

It's not that there won't, like, BE FACTIONS anymore or something. Just the actual, mechanical systems like grinding rep or whatever aren't going to exist. You'll still be able to interaction with the same groups and all.

Except Amara and the Black Void. If Faction System's gone, fuck it, now I don't have to worry about making a "friendly pirate" group. 

shadefalcon

Oct 13, 2015
It's not that there won't, like, BE FACTIONS anymore or something. Just the actual, mechanical systems like grinding rep or whatever aren't going to exist. You'll still be able to interaction with the same groups and all.

Except Amara and the Black Void. If Faction System's gone, fuck it, now I don't have to worry about making a "friendly pirate" group. 

Damn. No pirate´s life for me.

20% of the vote Factions and Reputation system? Ffs, just farm it out to someone else if you don't give a shit about it. Some of us actually DO.

I voted for all the top 3. I wouldn´t mind seeing it done even if it was "outsourced". But I guess this is ultimately up to our lord and corrupter Fenoxo.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
Savin and Gedan should really work full time. Also hire Jacques.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
Like a mythical creature, if you believe, he will be.

argenten

Sep 9, 2015
As with many things in TiTS' Offbeatr.

Then again Fen's just randomly decided to axe the faction system out of the blue so whatever, maybe we can kill SSTDs too. :v
Yeah, it's not like I designed, wrote, and had implemented several large projects designed to feed into that system. Like all of Kara's stuff.

:negative:

Seriously? At the risk of sounding petulant and entitled, but what the fuck?! What was going to happen if it had won the poll? Would the Nursery be getting the same treatment? The Factions mechanic was a big draw and one of the major reasons I was willing to invest in the game, the immersion and connection it would add to the game would be huge for arguably reasonable coding (seems about equal with affection counters but I could easily be wrong and will retract that if it is.) requirements. It was the third highest scoring on the poll and as Savin shows here, had significant effort, writing, and buildup put into it coming into play.

Not to mention this is getting concerning and quite frankly familiar in a very bad way. Main game dev not communicating with with both employees and investors, arbitrary changes and decisions being made without warning/determinable care given to long term effects it'll have on the game development/characters and story, and no set plan for updates or content consistency. The last is something I got from @Fenoxo in a recent message and while the main subject matter was on potential pregnancies (mostly to shut up the hopeful voice in my head and keep things realistic in terms of what to expect/look forward to.) this seems to apply to the project in general: No set plan, no reasonable set of priorities, and quite frankly less and less security in the investment/project itself. 

We should not be hearing about changes like this from Savin, who, while a major dev and creator, is not in charge of the game or it's development as a whole. We should not be unsure if major game mechanics will be included in the game more than a year to two into the development when they arguably could have and should have been done right off the bat instead of planets like NT and this new starter planet floating around the boards. 

I like TiTS, and feel it has a lot of great potential...but honestly feel that a lot of the same mistakes that were being made with CoC are starting to be made again...with potentially the same result.

I'm not saying Fenoxo should cater to the fans and bow to every demand, I'm not saying that devs shouldn't be able to make executive decisions that will help or streamline the game, and I'm not saying Fenoxo shouldn't be able to change his mind about something...but there's a difference between these and decisions like making the entirety of the Nursery content a single stat page or blowing off the key mechanic of the factions portion of the game that would actually give it any impact and give the players agency in the system.

>>__>>

But I was actually looking forward to that. Damn. Well... okay then.
Poor you Savin.

...no? *sniff

Same here, this kind of thing shouldn't be happening out of the blue like this without even a notice on Patreon.

20% of the vote Factions and Reputation system? Ffs, just farm it out to someone else if you don't give a shit about it. Some of us actually DO.

Pretty much, this has a significant following in the fans and patrons, if it's an issue call out for help but don't just say "I don't feel like it, you're SOL...now let's have some SSTDs." This is, to me at my current understanding of the situation, a slap in the face of the people that worked on getting ready for it, patrons that invested in the hopes of making it happen, and fans that supported in other ways.

Primename

Dec 5, 2015
While I can see the inherent problems with a faction system, I still think it would have been a really neat thing to give the game more of a backbone for future content.

And I also agree with the big post above, no offense to Fen or anything, but cutting something like that out of the game and just saying "fuck it" to the reasoning is just, well, assholish. 

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
We should not be hearing about changes like this from Savin,

TBF I effectively found out from Fen's blog comments and was like "Wait what."

Then again at this point I'm not entirely sure the Faction System was ever a feature Fenoxo planned himself. The way he talked about it sure didn't seem like it was ever supposed to be a thing to begin with -- was it actually on Offbeatr? I don't remember one way or the other, but I do know it's been sitting on our Trello since 2014.

Either way, I'm just going to reiterate that it's not like no Faction System = no factions in the game or something. It just means you won't have a rep meter or whatever filling up in the background; working with the Smugglers or Xenogen will just be proceeding via individual questlines and states rather than as a discreet mechanic.

but cutting something like that out of the game and just saying "fuck it" to the reasoning is just, well, assholish. 

I'm not sure where you got that idea. He does have a valid reason for wanting to get rid of it, even if you don't agree with it.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015

Out of curiosity, what post were those comments in?  I stopped reading the blog post comments a few months back for the sake of my brain.

That said, this:

No set plan, no reasonable set of priorities

is not without merit.  The company I work for at my day job has the same issues, and it has some severe consequences down the line.

Savin, you said this Monday you were going to sit down with Fen and figure out how many planets you wanted to have in the main story.  Did that happen?  Was a number even spitballed?  If not, if meetings are being skipped or if Fen can't even get enough of a plan together to say "about ten", that's a big problem.  FenCo is an actual company now, but there's a lot of ways in which it's not acting like one, and sooner or later that's going to have to be addressed.

Leonid

Jul 8, 2016
After reading the last few comments im quite shocked, i was actually even more hyped for the faction system than the nursery and the space combat.

Ps: Savin please don´t cut Amara, i love her. T_____T

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluish

Jul 10, 2016
Well that's a huge disappointment. I was really looking forward to a faction system, more than the nursery or space combat even. I'm sure there are plenty of good reasons to cut it, but it's still a sizeable bummer, not that Factions were going to make or break the game.

argenten

Sep 9, 2015

Then again at this point I'm not entirely sure the Faction System was ever a feature Fenoxo planned himself. The way he talked about it sure didn't seem like it was ever supposed to be a thing to begin with -- was it actually on Offbeatr? I don't remember one way or the other, but I do know it's been sitting on our Trello since 2014.

Either way, I'm just going to reiterate that it's not like no Faction System = no factions in the game or something. It just means you won't have a rep meter or whatever filling up in the background; working with the Smugglers or Xenogen will just be proceeding via individual questlines and states rather than as a discreet mechanic.

I'm not sure where you got that idea. He does have a valid reason for wanting to get rid of it, even if you don't agree with it.

That, to me, kinda proves the point a bit. That you had to find out through the comments and not actually be told straight up this was a thing. That still shows the underlying communications and awareness issues plaguing the project. 

If it wasn't, it was implied for long enough that it grew to be so. One of the worst things one can do when making a game is promise or imply something will be in there for a significant period of time only to retract it. Bioware has done this multiple times and gotten slammed for it. Kerberos did that with the Sword of the stars series multiple times and basically blew their Sword of the Stars 2 game. Roundscape Andorevia keeps promising stuff from their chapter 1 that still hasn't been delivered while they spend money on a comic from an artist who's art is being phased out of the game. To be frank, if it wasn't going to be included in the game, it shouldn't have been in the poll. 

That's good that it won't eliminate the entirety of the factions being involved, but the agency of Steele getting to either work with or against them even in the background was something I've been looking forward to as it's added to gameplay in a lot of different games, both MMO and regular. As well as leading to this.

Not going to lie, but I'm feeling a bit bummed as I was looking forward to the game/story stuff of being able to work with Amara and her group. Again, major draw to the mechanic/system that as of yet we have no idea why Fenoxo cut it out. And with all due respect, what comments are those because this is the first I've and evidently others have heard of it, so while he may have a valid reason, he has not shared it at large or evenly and thus left the vast majority of fans/investors ignorant as to his reasoning.

Out of curiosity, what post were those comments in?  I stopped reading the blog post comments a few months back for the sake of my brain.

That said, this:

is not without merit.  The company I work for at my day job has the same issues, and it has some severe consequences down the line.

Savin, you said this Monday you were going to sit down with Fen and figure out how many planets you wanted to have in the main story.  Did that happen?  Was a number even spitballed?  If not, if meetings are being skipped or if Fen can't even get enough of a plan together to say "about ten", that's a big problem.  FenCo is an actual company now, but there's a lot of ways in which it's not acting like one, and sooner or later that's going to have to be addressed.
I have to echo this sentiment, honestly. I know this is hardly the first time it's been brought up, and I also know there's a lot of stuff going on in everyone's lives, what with Savin being sick, Gedan having a whole host of projects to work on, and Fen... doing Fen stuff (that's not me being snarky, I just genuinely don't know what his schedule is), but I have to admit that TiTS often doesn't feel like it's an organized or focused endeavor. That may just be my ignorant outsider's view, and I hope it is, but it would be reassuring to get some information about long-term development priorities outside of "These are the systems the game is probably going to have at some point in the future. Maybe."  :/  

+1 to each of these, this is stuff that should have (from an outsider's pov again) hammered out when the game started, especially with the way CoC went. It's one thing to not have a set plan for updates to the minute and so on, that's reasonable with a flexible text game like TiTS...what isn't reasonable is there being, from what I can tell, no basic outline at the very least for the main game, let alone side content and expansions. This is not ok. This to me, suggests the mistakes that were being made with CoC are being repeated with potentially the same result. 

And again, Fen makes no effort to communicate or announce or anything on the blog or the Patreon for the game, 2 great avenues to either get a sounding board if he's unsure about a decision or to just go "This is what's going to need to happen and why." or even ask for help if it's needed. While Fen might not have to check in with every little change or adjustment, as Couch says FenCo is a company now, those of us backing the game through various methods are investors, and we shouldn't be perpetually wondering WTF is going on or being blindsided like this. Just a few "State of the game" postings would do wonders for many, many of the issues previously stated by myself and others...but we're lucky to see Fen post anything beyond the next update.

Too much is being assumed, too much was assumed going in, and too much is in the air for TiTS to feel like a solid project anymore. I'd probably feel more comfortable/reassured if the game was paused/put on hiatus, everything gets hashed out/given reasonable outlining/direction, and then things start up again. At least then everyone would be on the same page.

I'm an outsider and one with a limited perspective however, so if I am wrong in one or more of the things I have said, let me know and I'll willingly apologize. But I also will stand by the fact that I've done my best to say my piece while being respectful/aware of the challenge being presented to the devs and that these are legitimate concerns and issues that should be addressed. 

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015

The trello feature cards were directly copied from a list I compiled on the old forums (rip), itself directly smashed together from the Offbeatr and all the initial design documents for the game. They are all things that were explicitly planned promised as features for the game- some of them were bound to Offbeatr tiers but it's basically a given that everything listed there made its target.

argenten

Sep 9, 2015
The trello feature cards were directly copied from a list I compiled on the old forums (rip), itself directly smashed together from the Offbeatr and all the initial design documents for the game. They are all things that were explicitly planned promised as features for the game- some of them were bound to Offbeatr tiers but it's basically a given that everything listed there made its target.

So, just to clarify: This means the Factions mechanic was promised for the game, and as of the poll and this recent revelation, officially supposed to be in the game?

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
So, just to clarify: This means the Factions mechanic was promised for the game, and as of the poll and this recent revelation, officially supposed to be in the game?

Factions in and of itself I believe was from the original ideasmash document. Like I said, I scavenged the list was a combination of both Offbeatr promises and a document that predated the Offbeatr drive itself to organise ideas for the game (there was actually two; an 'ideasmash' doc and a cleaned up 'official' doc- rep/factions made it to the latter as some show of official consideration I guess).

Factions/Reptuation was in that document but not actually part of the Offbeatr project page.

argenten

Sep 9, 2015
Factions in and of itself I believe was from the original ideasmash document. Like I said, I scavenged the list was a combination of both Offbeatr promises and a document that predated the Offbeatr drive itself to organise ideas for the game (there was actually two; an 'ideasmash' doc and a cleaned up 'official' doc- rep/factions made it to the latter as some show of official consideration I guess).

Factions/Reptuation was in that document but not actually part of the Offbeatr project page.

*groan* Thank you for the clarification, I mean that sincerely, but the groan is for the fact that it's been years since the offbeatr and stuff like that is still up in the air. 

From what you said above, it might not have been an Offbeatr project promise...but it was supposed to be in the game. This really doesn't make Fen's as of now decision to just cut it out any  more palatable or less arbitrary.