Cybernetic mods vs More DNA based TF mods

eveoflife

Aug 29, 2015
mimbranes aren't part of character description and act more as a perk, which is how i think cybernetics will be handled

Don't know why this posted like that either lol

They are, the more you feed them, the more the part they imitate swells and inflates in appearance until they split themselves.

treatedfae

Dec 19, 2015
Except they are. They both alter appearance and have actual effects.
They are, the more you feed them, the more the part they imitate swells and inflates in appearance until they split themselves.

They don't do so asymmetrically though, they just give general descriptions of swelled hands or feet, it doesn't specifically left and right hands even though you can technically one have on on your arm/foot. besides mimbranes are just an addition, they don't completely alter racial score like cybernetics is planning to. People are talking about how it will add a metallic tag, but that will interfere with with other arm descriptions such as chitinous or furred. It would have to be treated as a separate quasi-permanent TF system, or something like mimbranes that offers a vague description and additional perks/benefits to having them.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
They don't do so asymmetrically though, they just give general descriptions of swelled hands or feet, it doesn't specifically left and right hands even though you can technically one have on on your arm/foot. besides mimbranes are just an addition, they don't completely alter racial score like cybernetics is planning to. People are talking about how it will add a metallic tag, but that will interfere with with other arm descriptions such as chitinous or furred. It would have to be treated as a separate quasi-permanent TF system, or something like mimbranes that offers a vague description and additional perks/benefits to having them.

Again, augmentations and fully mechanical parts are not the same thing. Slimy and furry are also mutually exclusive, but this dosn't prevent GaloMax to accept any form.

treatedfae

Dec 19, 2015
Again, augmentations and fully mechanical parts are not the same thing. Slimy and furry are also mutually exclusive, but this dosn't prevent GaloMax to accept any form.

Wait are you arguing for mechanical augmentations or fully mechanical parts? Because I only see augmentations being possible through a npc providing the service. Fully mechanical parts though I don't see happening though due to asymmetrical descriptors. It would make sense to have a mechanical hand and a furred arm, but not a furred mechanical arm.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Wait are you arguing for mechanical augmentations or fully mechanical parts? Because I only see augmentations being possible through a npc providing the service. Fully mechanical parts though I don't see happening though due to asymmetrical descriptors. It would make sense to have a mechanical hand and a furred arm, but not a furred mechanical arm.

It is only argument against haveing asymmetrical parts. Not against having mechanical parts. Also, why really not furry mechanical arm?

treatedfae

Dec 19, 2015

Oh, well I totally agree that asymmetrical parts are a bad idea, I was just saying if people expect them then they're probably going to be disappointed. And now that I think about it mechanical components could coexist with a lot of the descriptors, I don't see a good way for it to be compatible with goo though. And if cybernetic legs become a thing, then they'll either be incompatible with taurs or just a vague description.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Oh, well I totally agree that asymmetrical parts are a bad idea, I was just saying if people expect them then they're probably going to be disappointed. And now that I think about it mechanical components could coexist with a lot of the descriptors, I don't see a good way for it to be compatible with goo though. And if cybernetic legs become a thing, then they'll either be incompatible with taurs or just a vague description.

Yes, not all things would be compatible, but many. Basically, nothing is compatible with goo, so it would be just another overriding type. Also, what is problem with taurs?

treatedfae

Dec 19, 2015

Well it depends on how they do the descriptions of the legs. They may just give it a metallic or something, which would work just fine with taurs, but if the specific cybernetic description made legs plantigrade/digitigrade then that would mess with taurs, especially if the description forces plantigrade. Not a good image. I see it as somewhat unlikely but if it does happen then tauric description would be odd. Also I feel it would have to somehow imply that the entire lower torso of the taur is cybernetic, because just having 4-6 mechanical legs seems kind of strange. 

Dont know why it chose to quote that 

Last edited by a moderator:

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Well it depends on how they do the descriptions of the legs. They may just give it a metallic or something, which would work just fine with taurs, but if the specific cybernetic description made legs plantigrade/digitigrade then that would mess with taurs, especially if the description forces plantigrade. Not a good image. I see it as somewhat unlikely but if it does happen then tauric description would be odd. Also I feel it would have to somehow imply that the entire lower torso of the taur is cybernetic, because just having 4-6 mechanical legs seems kind of strange. 

Again, that's why I'm offering to use flags to existing types rather than new types - it won't produce weirdshit. Body itself... Don't really know what is better.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Mimbranes, anyone?

Mimbranes are the worst example you could possibly think of.  It took damn near a year to fix all the bugs that were constantly popping up with mimbranes and they still don't always work right.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Mimbranes are the worst example you could possibly think of.  It took damn near a year to fix all the bugs that were constantly popping up with mimbranes and they still don't always work right.

Well, that's what you'll get when you are working with living things. They are gross and capricious. That's why we should follow the true god, Omnissiah!

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
My guess is there will be a system to handle cybernetics (augments or fully robotic)--in any case, there will need to be appearance overhauls like gooey parts. Main issues will probably be how it will fit within the transformation frame-work lore-wise since most transformations (especially scenes that are forced transforms) are written in such a way where all body parts are assumed to be organic for the ease of transition of one form to another. Content-wise, robotics/augments might be just as scarcely referenced as non-humanoid lower bodies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ChZRNQaC-0

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
tl;dr Type & Flags are fine, as long as you consider the systems that use them. For any given body part, there's a contract of what it can do, what it roughly looks like, is shaped like, and what it feels like. Any cybernetic limb part would have to jive with that contract, because all game content written assumes this contract is still valid. For less well intergrated parts, we could probably get away with more as they're barely referenced in detail specifically by a writer and they'll just rely on tags to do the work for them. See: wings, horns etc.

Why do we want to maintain the contract you ask? Because the current game content totals nearly 300000 lines of code. Three hundred thousand.

"Not long enough, bore me pls" version:

Any limb and appendage cybernetics would probably have to be entirely subdural or involve something similar to Gianna's synth skin or be limited to something like only small insets of whatever they're made up of. Basically, look at what Strype does for the majority of his cybernetic work; http://www.furaffinity.net/view/17377427/ - A lot of ports and splits and clear pieces, but squishy and flesh-like.

"Skin" is basically the fallback description, and it's always assumed to be present from a "what actions can be taken against the body". Everything is squishy, has a certain amount of give in it, warmth etc. It comes up. A lot. You might not catch it immediately, but it'll stick out like a sore thumb once you actually notice it. All scenes are written with that predisposition and it's what most writers, even post introduction of any form of cybernetics system, will assume as a baseline. Anything else just adds yet more fuel on the fire of "Things that we thought were a good idea but in practice hardly anybody ever keeps in mind." See: taurs.

They could play off the system that was introduced primarily for Mimbranes, but expanded in scope to cover basically all appearance properties (and a lot of things kind-of-but-not-really related that I thought would be good to hook up too, just in case)- in that they could resist further transformations from the point of view of items the player could consume... but I think there'd be some weirdness with most of the current bad ends, as a lot of them basically whitewash the player being turned into something else almost entirely via regular transformative items for the bulk of the changes. The number of bad ends is fairly constrained though, so a run through to tweak them up a little bit and account for cybernetics that couldn't be transformed (and would have to be replaced) would be relatively simple. Implementation wise, they'd just be (a) new species type(s)/flags that could be applied to the player, run through the existing description system with appropriate new descriptions, but TFs just won't be able to change away from them- only the doctors/surgeries/back-room-black-market-russian-doctor-who-hasnt-had-enough-to-drink-today that deal in cybernetics could install or remove them.

Presumably though, for them to be removable, then they would also need to be replaceable with non-cybernetic parts again, at least in so far as the player should be able to decide to go back to organic parts....

Which raises an interesting point; the only non-grimdark possibility here is that new limbs would have to be growable, presumably with some kinda 3D printer or growth lab or something. But if that's possible, then it's not a huge leap to imagine other organs could be grown, especially if we talk about the mechanical complexities of creating something like a working hand given the number of different structures and bio-mechanical interfaces involved.) So we're now in a situation where those with enough funds could exist in a universe where near any physical ailment short of immediate death whilst miles away from the closest medical center has a treatment- just replace the offending part with a new one. That is to say, effective physical immortality. And I only say "near any" so as to not get started on the whole theory-of-consciousness derail and excluding the brain as a part of that. (Something something insert clones and neural interfaces and pods and oh god now we're in New Eden, get the fuken spreadsheets ready.)

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
Which raises an interesting point; the only non-grimdark possibility here is that new limbs would have to be growable, presumably with some kinda 3D printer or growth lab or something. But if that's possible, then it's not a huge leap to imagine other organs could be grown, especially if we talk about the mechanical complexities of creating something like a working hand given the number of different structures and bio-mechanical interfaces involved.

New limbs are already stated as being growable by at least one character; Liliana, Gold deserter in bar. 6k credits from Steele and she's got a full-grown, good as new arm where she lost one before.

JDeko

Aug 27, 2015
Kekistan
www.facebook.com
My interest in cybernetic limbs kinda tapered off when it was said in no uncertain terms there would not be "bad-ish ends" where you escape down a limb from otherwise certain death. The idea it would be relegated to being as influential as Galomax which I was originally hyper-excited about until I realized all the writing assumes your body is solid and opaque so being a Goo changes very little. Learning your robo-parts will be more Terminator than Full Metal Alchemist really kills the appeal of mechanical limbs.

Basically Geddy hit the nail on the head how basically every TF has to be within concrete boundaries lest they invalidate huge sections of the existing text. 

Now if Ghost in the Shell full cybernetic bodies were possible I'd have a pretty strong draw to them as I feel like that would be the only way I could get the body I want in the real world [female body, no boobs, dick instead of vag, put my brain in it now].

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF

So they ripped off Homeworld. Great.

Any limb and appendage cybernetics would probably have to be entirely subdural or involve something similar to Gianna's synth skin or be limited to something like only small insets of whatever they're made up of. Basically, look at what Strype does for the majority of his cybernetic work; http://www.furaffinity.net/view/17377427/ - A lot of ports and splits and clear pieces, but squishy and flesh-like.

"Skin" is basically the fallback description, and it's always assumed to be present from a "what actions can be taken against the body". Everything is squishy, has a certain amount of give in it, warmth etc. It comes up. A lot. You might not catch it immediately, but it'll stick out like a sore thumb once you actually notice it. All scenes are written with that predisposition and it's what most writers, even post introduction of any form of cybernetics system, will assume as a baseline. Anything else just adds yet more fuel on the fire of "Things that we thought were a good idea but in practice hardly anybody ever keeps in mind." See: taurs.

What about four(technically six) existing species that has extensive chitin covering most of their bodies or at least most of their limbs, and that have TF items already avaliable?

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Limb regrowth is also an obvious functional extension of the ability for gene mods to cause people to grow tails, wings, and legs that they did not have before.  It would be strange if you couldn't regrow lost organs or limbs with the same tech that enables semi-instant physical transformations.

So they ripped off Homeworld. Great.

What about four(technically six) existing species that has extensive chitin covering most of their bodies or at least most of their limbs, and that have TF items already avaliable?

You'll find that every scene in the game completely ignores that your chitin is supposed to be hard and instead treats it just like skin.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
You'll find that every scene in the game completely ignores that your chitin is supposed to be hard and instead treats it just like skin.

Which raises a question: if we already have ton of inconsistent things, why stop adding now?

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Which raises a question: if we already have ton of inconsistent things, why stop adding now?

Ah yes, the old "It's already fucked, so lets just fuck it up even more" argument.

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015

If there are obvious inconsistencies due to new features added in the game, please bug report them. If it is something that doesn't require a major scene rewrite, it should be no problem to fix.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
If there are obvious inconsistencies due to new features added in the game, please bug report them. If it is something that doesn't require a major scene rewrite, it should be no problem to fix.

It's more about things like "wait, where my wings are now", or "stop, I have carapace, right", or "let's think, with such tallness-to-cock-lenght ratio...", and such. Well, and also "minor" things like painful insertions for a character with near-infinite capacity (like goo), which are more than numerous. And I don't really want even to raise taur's problem - that's actually one of the reasons for my chakat commission, since 5' chakat basically can accommodate scene for 8' humanoid without too much weirdshit, while still accommodating tauric scenes as well, thanks to body specifics.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
Ah yes, the old "It's already fucked, so lets just fuck it up even more" argument.

Things like taurs and chitin aren't as much fucked as they are stuck in a weird place of almost-no-relevance-but-not-quite. So since the dev team stated that they don't plan to spend a lot of effort on improving the situation AND there are people who are content with the status quo when it comes to those features, it does set a precedent.

Milkman

Aug 28, 2015
Back when chitin was first added I was hoping it woukd serve as the precursor for cybernetic metal/plastic. It's a bit disapointing that it hasn't been as well integrated as it could have been. But even so I and likely a whole lot of other cybernetic aficionados would prefer to have it even if it has zero support. Warm and soft metal is better than no metal at all. 

K367

Oct 4, 2015
If cybernetics were implemented, would there be a possibility of adding an attack menu for cybernetic weaponry? 

Like if I felt so inclined and wrote the descriptions, could I give my character laser nipples and kinetic pulse generating kicks?

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
If cybernetics were implemented, would there be a possibility of adding an attack menu for cybernetic weaponry? 

Like if I felt so inclined and wrote the descriptions, could I give my character laser nipples and kinetic pulse generating kicks?

That's actually intersting question. From one side, there are "no useful TFs" rule. From other, lack of effect would make no sense.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
But even so I and likely a whole lot of other cybernetic aficionados would prefer to have it even if it has zero support. Warm and soft metal is better than no metal at all. 

Yeah but if it would be only in their minds I mean only apperance desc meantioning that some body parts are cybernetic and nothing else especialy in scenes point to this it would be more like them using their imagination how that scenes would truly looks like. But then again TiTS is mainly TEXT game so we read, read, read and using imagination to begin with. Pics seems sometimes makes poeple want too much of this game -_-' (yeah we should still be happy for what we got but....that shouldn't stop us from dreaming of better, larger, louder TiTS than now, orght?)