"The new forums are shit"

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
itt we post shit that is wrong with the forums and maybe I fix it sooner rather than later.

e: this counts for wordpress/the blog too.

ee: I'm also pruning posts so I can see what I still need to look at.

SHIT I NEED TO FIX AT SOME POINT:

• See if disabling the WYISWYG editor as an option for people

Last edited by a moderator:

Decanter

Aug 27, 2015
The profile page has white boxes that clash with the dark color scheme and the light grey text therein is kinda hard to see.

There's a white artifact-y border around your admin siren icon.

I will grudgingly admit this isn't necessarily a bug, but if there's an option to not double-space my posts I am missing it.

Kitsune

Aug 27, 2015
The profile page has white boxes that clash with the dark color scheme and the light grey text therein is kinda hard to see.

There's a white artifact-y border around your admin siren icon.

I will grudgingly admit this isn't necessarily a bug, but if there's an option to not double-space my posts I am missing it.

Here,
you
can 
still do it using the good old fashion way, Shift + Enter

Though I will admit having it double  with Enter does bother me a bit.

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Mostly cause its like a proper WYSIWG editor rather than shitty raw text. I actually like it a lot.

Decanter

Aug 27, 2015
What's shitty about raw text? I'll grant that not having to deal with markup is nice, but this isn't related to that. And if I wanted fancy "helpful" stuff forced on me such that I had to manually and repeatedly opt out, I'd use Google Plus.

Anyway, I assume this (1) that likes to appear in page titles is meant to represent new posts, but it seems to pop up regardless of new posts, after a minute or two.

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
What's shitty about raw text? If I wanted fancy "helpful" stuff forced on me I'd use Google Plus.

Anyway, I assume this (1) that likes to appear in page titles is meant to represent new posts, but it seems to pop up regardless of new posts, after a minute or two.

It means less shit in my way when I'm looking through bug reports- I'll generally go edit-mode so I can splitquote as I go and respond to things I don't fix (to explain why), so then I have to deal with all the formatting characters that have been used to highlight typos.

Decanter

Aug 27, 2015
Bah, should've known better than to try editing that in. I'll grant that not having to deal with markup is nice, but this isn't related to that.

Also uhhh what is this, I just wanted to paste a link.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
I was kinda surprised at how an image link immediately displayed an image after having attempted to quote a post with an image to see how the code went like (and finding out I couldn't). While this is a nice thing, I wondered how would I be able to put it on a spoiler. Then again, I'm a complete code ignorant.

Decanter

Aug 27, 2015
Might as well see what fancy shit happens with double posting. I was going to request that this or related info be edited into Ted's post.

Also since there's no "kill all formatting" button, if it bugs out gmail-style and decides to keep making your text into a link when you keep typing after inserting a link, you have to redo the whole thing to fix it.

Also, there's no spoiler tag it seems? Those were terribly useful both for spoilers and for hiding walls o' text. OK, so there's just no button for them yet.

Also no preview or delete option for posts.

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Okay I poked around. IPB basically dropped the old editor entirely and moved fully over to this thing, CKEditor. Which has plugins.

tl;dr I need to play with it some I think. I shifted some stuff around, so now there should, at least, be a button to turn something into a spoiler, something to clean formatting, and something to paste purely as plain text. There's also a little options panel to set plain-text pasting as the norm on a user by user basis.

That said, http://ckeditor.com/addons/plugins/all cruise through this and see if there's anything that stands out we should have/need (or indeed if there's something that'll give us a BBCode like option). I'll look myself at some point, but other shit to look at.

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Bah, should've known better than to try editing that in. I'll grant that not having to deal with markup is nice, but this isn't related to that.

Also uhhh what is this, I just wanted to paste a link.

Also this is kinda an integral part of what IPB can do. It's basically made to be a shitload of components like a blog and shit, and it supports the idea of embedding content from any part in any other part- like an inline forum comment in the middle of a blogpost and shit. I presume the editor had a bit of a mare because of how the link was formatted at the time- I THINK you can copy-paste a post link and it'll quote it and shit like that.

I mean, the janky bits are annoying but its... pretty clever when it works right.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
Looks like the Showcase for adult game threads is currently locked.

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Looks like the Showcase for adult game threads is currently locked.

uuuuh fixed I was gonna do it a different way when I created it, then made the thread and figured fuk it ted can have helldump material

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
No, font style controls are gone because idiots abuse the slightest convenience. You might be able to paste in formatting from another source, but even if you could, I'd be looking to put a stop to that too. Size might come back if I can limit it to a minimum of the default font size and no smaller.

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
My friend is still having the same problem with making an account on the new website. 

I need more to go on than that. There's legitimately 21 pages of spam-detected account creation attempts already so, either PM me the email or the IP address they're usin (preferably both).

TresdeLeche

Aug 27, 2015
I need more to go on than that. There's legitimately 21 pages of spam-detected account creation attempts already so, either PM me the email or the IP address they're usin (preferably both)

Just sent the pm.  

JDeko

Aug 27, 2015
Kekistan
www.facebook.com
Finally in now!

The Red Wiseman

Aug 27, 2015
How much does it take to crash this server when it comes to Media inserts? According to Fenfen: "We got a newer, better, stronger server. It should take a lot more to overload the site, and I have a gigantic data cap.r, better, stronger server. It should take a lot more to overload the site, and I have a gigantic data cap." So I'm guessing we won't have a huge problem uploading images, gifs and videos, worrying if they could cause it to crash, right? Everything is running smoothly with this server.

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
How do I delete posts I made?

You don't. Think before you post otherwise we all get to laugh. It's in the internet rulebook, look it up.

How much does it take to crash this server when it comes to Media inserts? According to Fenfen: "We got a newer, better, stronger server. It should take a lot more to overload the site, and I have a gigantic data cap.r, better, stronger server. It should take a lot more to overload the site, and I have a gigantic data cap." So I'm guessing we won't have a huge problem uploading images, gifs and videos, worrying if they could cause it to crash, right? Everything is running smoothly with this server.

Dunno. We could find out how many images you have to post pointlessly that aren't even funny reaction gifs before you get a 7 day forum holiday though :allears:

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
Shame about colored text loss for non-mods, will make typo posts slightly harder to try to read/point out if not explicitly pointed out by stating what's what

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Bold/Italic/Underline still works good, and that's what Prisoner used. Worked fine.

JDeko

Aug 27, 2015
Kekistan
www.facebook.com
It'll make RPs a little rougher too since lots of my fellow RPers liked to color-code their character's speech but I guess sacrifices must be made.