What's Your Favorite New Anime?

shaunqb

Mar 23, 2016
Hey, everyone. I was wondering what your favorite new anime is. I'm referring to any anime that started within the past year.

I loved One-Punch Man's anime adaptation (I have read the manga for a few years), but My Hero Academia looks very promising (I've been reading it since it started).

FerrousFlint

Mar 14, 2016
The past few years have just been BLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH.... but there have been several that caught my eye.

I no particular order

1. Parasyte
  2. Monster Musume
  3. Food Wars
  4. Valkyrie Drive
  5. One-Punch man
  6. Rokka
  7. My Love Story (if only to say there was one decent romance comedy this year)

Last edited by a moderator:

Corivas

Aug 29, 2015
Hey, everyone. I was wondering what your favorite new anime is. I'm referring to any anime that started within the past year.

Why do you do this? Probably Monster Musume, Parasyte, Shirobako and of course One Punch Man. "Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta?" is seeming pretty promising.

shaunqb

Mar 23, 2016
My wife introduced me to Monster Musume. I was quite pleased with it since it reminded me so much of playing CoC. lol

Berserk has a new anime coming out this year, so that should feel that badass anime slot that One-Punch Man had.

My Hero Acadameia is essentially filling the spot that Naruto had (manga wise). I'd suggest watching it because it is amazing. Oda (creator of One Piece) recently gave My Hero Academia praise and wished the author luck. Surprisingly, there's a lot of English spoken in it.

Parasyte was amazing. I love everything creepy, so I watched it as soon as I saw the commercials for it.

Food Wars has its second season coming out this year too, I'm excited! :D

Tinman

Aug 30, 2015

Gotta love good ol' fap joke.  Migi must have swallowed a ton of cum off camera.  One Punch Man was pretty hilarious too, although it seemed to mostly tease badass moments rather than actually delivering them.

My wife introduced me to Monster Musume. I was quite pleased with it since it reminded me so much of playing CoC. lol

Berserk has a new anime coming out this year, so that should feel that badass anime slot that One-Punch Man had.

My Hero Acadameia is essentially filling the spot that Naruto had (manga wise). I'd suggest watching it because it is amazing. Oda (creator of One Piece) recently gave My Hero Academia praise and wished the author luck. Surprisingly, there's a lot of English spoken in it.

Food Wars has its second season coming out this year too, I'm excited! :D

Your wife introduced you to the harem series about a guy living with monster girls?  Lucky guy.

I did not know about the new Berserk anime or the second season of Food Wars, so I'm looking forward to those now.  With all the praise I've seen for My Hero Academia I'll have to check it out.

shaunqb

Mar 23, 2016
Your wife introduced you to the harem series about a guy living with monster girls?  Lucky guy.

I did not know about the new Berserk anime or the second season of Food Wars, so I'm looking forward to those now.  With all the praise I've seen for My Hero Academia I'll have to check it out.

My wife is bi-sexual, and we're polyamorous, so it's not surprising if you know us. xD

Berserk is my all-time favorite manga. I started a Facebook page for the manga a couple years ago, and I make sure to let others know when new chapters are out. So far, I've bought the first two volumes of the manga, but I don't have any extra money right now to buy more. They have a teaser out for the new Berserk anime. I'm hoping that it doesn't use the 3D animation that Kingdom used in a lot of its fight-scenes, because that will hurt it. =\

My wife also introduced me to Food Wars. She's a huge pervert, and she loves to cook.

D.Gray-Man has a new anime coming out this year too. Don't get excited though, it's just a continuation of the original anime (which isn't that far behind the manga).

shaunqb

Mar 23, 2016
Put two and two together and your wife seems to have a food fetish.

It's quite possible. xD

I know that Attack On Titan's second season was supposed to come out this year, but they pushed it back to 2017 so that there wouldn't be any filler.

Number13

Aug 26, 2015
I know that Attack On Titan's second season was supposed to come out this year, but they pushed it back to 2017 so that there wouldn't be any filler.

Nothing wrong with that, as most filler arcs are generally crap (E.G. Bleach, the Muramusa arc was the only one I liked).

For anime's within the last year, One-Punch man, Fate/ Stay Night, Overlord and GATE were my favourites.

Looking forward to AOT season 2 and Fate/Extra for next year.

shaunqb

Mar 23, 2016
Bleach's filler killed its anime. Although, I consider everything after Aizen's defeat to be filler (manga and anime). They really should have just ended it there.

I haven't watched any of the Fate/Stay series, but it definitely is popular. Right now, I'm watching One Piece and My Hero Academia each week. I am watching all of Hitman Reborn with my wife (neither of us had seen it before, but I read the manga). We're both waiting for Shippuden to come off of filler, so it can just end already (we both know how it ends because I read the manga for so many years, and she was fine being spoiled).

I think that anime are getting better about not having filler and just taking breaks after each season. As far as I know, this really started with Attack On Titan, so I'm very grateful for that. It prevents anime from being ruined to the point that they end with a filler ending, are more filler than cannon, or need to be redone like Fullmetal Alchemist.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
I haven't watched any of the Fate/Stay series, but it definitely is popular.

Not as good as the game... buuuut yeah the anime is pretty good and it honors the story of the VN pretty well. If you ever watch the various series I recommend it. Also... be careful with Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA this series really skirts the ecchi to hentai ratio. Fuck the series is strong in the Yuri area. I won't say more... I'll let you read up, sufficient to say... if you aren't into characters who are young I wouldn't go for it. But damn it's hard to not pay attention to the series even if that isn't a kink of yours.

shaunqb

Mar 23, 2016
Not as good as the game... buuuut yeah the anime is pretty good and it honors the story of the VN pretty well. If you ever watch the various series I recommend it. Also... be careful with Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA this series really skirts the ecchi to hentai ratio. Fuck the series is strong in the Yuri area. I won't say more... I'll let you read up, sufficient to say... if you aren't into characters who are young I wouldn't go for it. But damn it's hard to not pay attention to the series even if that isn't a kink of yours.

My wife loves yuri anime. She's been trying to find any that she can. She's watched quite a few yaoi, but she seems to enjoy the yuri more (probably because she can actually relate to it).

The game Onigiri is getting an anime too. I believe that it is coming out this year. I've played the game a few times on my PS4, so I'd like to see what the anime is like.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
They have a teaser out for the new Berserk anime. I'm hoping that it doesn't use the 3D animation that Kingdom used in a lot of its fight-scenes, because that will hurt it. =\
The second teaser looks slightly better (not that Robot Guts wasn't difficult to beat, animation wise), but I already had enough with the films and all that stuff which looked worse than the PS2 FMVs for that Japan/Korea-only Berserk game.

At least it means I'll get songs form two of my favourite Japan music artists.
emot-allears.gif

Last edited:

shaunqb

Mar 23, 2016
They said that the new Berserk anime would skip his past. It's been shown both in the anime and the movies, so I'm thankful. I really didn't want to have to watch all of that again.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
"They"? Source, please. The second teaser shows Puck with the neck rope, which means the Black Swordsman bar scene will be adapted in there somehow. Unless it's the typical teaser-scene bit which never makes it to the actual footage, of course. For anyone who hasn't read the manga or watched the first anime, that would be just another post-Golden Age bit, but still...

Though the first still looked a lot like a Lost Kids image, I am not sure how they'll handle with it. I mean... "Adult attack!".

FerrousFlint

Mar 14, 2016
My wife loves yuri anime. She's been trying to find any that she can. She's watched quite a few yaoi, but she seems to enjoy the yuri more (probably because she can actually relate to it).

Well, if there are any "good" yuri anime I'd like to be on the list to know. Most anime nowadays that have "lesbians" or "same-sex relationships" are either god-awfully shallow fanservice, or those annoying creepy, one-note characters whose sole existence is to be... annoying and creepy.

Foxxling

Scientist
Creator
One Punch Man

Parasyte

Deadman Wonderland Season 2 (oh wait... i just shot myself in the heart... oh what could have been) <i know this isn't happening 

FLCL season 2 (plz plz plz don't suck plz plz plz) <i know this isn't out yet before anybody derps his way in here to state the obvious

FerrousFlint

Mar 14, 2016
FLCL season 2 (plz plz plz don't suck plz plz plz) <i know this isn't out yet before anybody derps his way in here to state the obvious

If how Nurse Witch Komugi was handled is any indication, not only will it suck it will spit on everything the original was. So I imagine it will mainly consist of fanservice (and I mean ecchi humor, not parodies, references to the past the season or something requiring actual effort or skill in the writing) and rather than wacky, zany, balls to the wall visuals it will instead be bland, static or stagnantly fluid animation and lukewarm character designs. I have zero faith in reboots already, let alone anime reboots

shaunqb

Mar 23, 2016
"They"? Source, please. The second teaser shows Puck with the neck rope, which means the Black Swordsman bar scene will be adapted in there somehow. Unless it's the typical teaser-scene bit which never makes it to the actual footage, of course. For anyone who hasn't read the manga or watched the first anime, that would be just another post-Golden Age bit, but still...

Though the first still looked a lot like a Lost Kids image, I am not sure how they'll handle with it. I mean... "Adult attack!".

" Miura commented in Hakusensha's Young Animal magazine in December that the anime project will depict Guts in his "Black Swordsman" appearance, which is only revealed in parts of the manga that go beyond any previously animated Berserk story, and is only briefly hinted at in the first and last episode of the 1997 television anime series."

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-03-22/new-berserk-tv-anime-cast-staff-july-premiere-unveiled/.100100

Well, if there are any "good" yuri anime I'd like to be on the list to know. Most anime nowadays that have "lesbians" or "same-sex relationships" are either god-awfully shallow fanservice, or those annoying creepy, one-note characters whose sole existence is to be... annoying and creepy.

I asked my wife what a good yuri is. She listed:

Sakura Trick
Riddle Story of Devil
Maria-sama ga Miteru
Candy Boy
Gokujo.: Gokurakuin Joshikou Ryou Monogatari
Oniisama e... (aka 'Brother Dear Brother')

If how Nurse Witch Komugi was handled is any indication, not only will it suck it will spit on everything the original was. So I imagine it will mainly consist of fanservice (and I mean ecchi humor, not parodies, references to the past the season or something requiring actual effort or skill in the writing) and rather than wacky, zany, balls to the wall visuals it will instead be bland, static or stagnantly fluid animation and lukewarm character designs. I have zero faith in reboots already, let alone anime reboots

God, I hope not. I want it to be amazing. I love the original.

Nanatsu no Taizai (Seven Deadly Sins) has a 4-episode special in August. Idk what the story will be, but it was written by the author of the manga.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
"Black Swordsman" appearance, which is only revealed in parts of the manga that go beyond any previously animated Berserk story, and is only briefly hinted at in the first and last episode of the 1997 television anime series."

So we might as well get some Guardians of Desire nods. Great!

shaunqb

Mar 23, 2016
So we might as well get some Guardians of Desire nods. Great!

Sorry for not going ahead and linking where I had read that in my original post about the new Berserk anime. :p  I am anxious to see him in his armor, and we'll finally get to see Puck!

Foxxling

Scientist
Creator

Well tbh i refuse to have zero faith in anything because in some cases its a self fulfilling prophesy and in others it causes you to like junk because you expected worse.

WARNING: UNRELATED RANT - Like with Superman V Batman. Was it terrific? SPOILER ALERT maybe but the only big gripe i have about it tbh would be Jesse Eisenburg's Lex Luthor coming across like Jim Carey's Riddler. This might be because it was actually good but it could also be due to the fact i was expecting a steaming turd and got a dark, gritty superhero movie instead. The rest of the things ppl had issues with: watching batman's origin again; Random batman visions created by the flash; publisizing of other dc movies; etc are all not even big issues imo. The film was pretty good and a lot more ambitious than Man of Steele (see what i did there) but i just can't hate it END SPOILERS  but like i was saying I will shoot down my expectations so i can enjoy or hate the second season of flcl based on its own merits.

FerrousFlint

Mar 14, 2016
Well tbh i refuse to have zero faith in anything because in some cases its a self fulfilling prophesy and in others it causes you to like junk because you expected worse.

but like i was saying I will shoot down my expectations so i can enjoy or hate the second season of flcl based on its own merits.

Its less self-fulfilling prophesying and more like reoccurring trends in anime displacing or outright ruining a show for me because they want to be popular rather than good. I'm not expecting perfection or anything award-winning at all, just for mere competency and confidence in ones work rather than trend chasing and man-pandering, or focus on characterizations and motivations rather than bland moe designs and crap like that.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Aquarion Logos started kind of crappy but then basically redeemed the whole Aquarion franchise in its second half by going from weak to fucking amazing.

I hear Macross Delta's pretty great, been meaning to start that.

shaunqb

Mar 23, 2016
Aquarion Logos started kind of crappy but then basically redeemed the whole Aquarion franchise in its second half by going from weak to fucking amazing.

I'd never heard of Aquarion Logos, but I'll give it a try. Do you need to watch any of the other Aquarion anime before you can watch Logos?

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
I'd never heard of Aquarion Logos, but I'll give it a try. Do you need to watch any of the other Aquarion anime before you can watch Logos?

No.  The first Genesis of Aquarion and the sequel Aquarion Evol are connected, but after Evol ended in a complete trainwreck that ruined everything they went in for a new setting for Logos.  It's almost exactly the same thing that happened with Digimon where the first season was okay, the second season shat all over the first season, and then the third season jumped ship to a whole new universe and turned out to also be fantastic.

shaunqb

Mar 23, 2016
No.  The first Genesis of Aquarion and the sequel Aquarion Evol are connected, but after Evol ended in a complete trainwreck that ruined everything they went in for a new setting for Logos.  It's almost exactly the same thing that happened with Digimon where the first season was okay, the second season shat all over the first season, and then the third season jumped ship to a whole new universe and turned out to also be fantastic.

I'll definitely give Logos a shot then. I noticed that both of the ones that you like are Mechas. I've only watched a couple: Code Geass and Neon Genesis Evangelion. It'll be nice seeing a new anime though. :)

FerrousFlint

Mar 14, 2016

I wouldn't say "redeemed" and "whole" rather as much as "pardoned" and "parts of". I don't remember much, but I do remember going "what the fuck, why!?" a lot around the finale.

I hear Macross Delta's pretty great, been meaning to start that.

giphy.gif

eeeeeehhhhh... its... okay...