Dynamic Avatar Drawing Tool (Character Viewer)

Penumbra

Feb 25, 2016
@Kesil OK fixed with version 0.12. It was a problem with image loading not being synchronous even when using dataURLs in Firefox (technical stuff...). I don't think you were using Chrome, right?

Also added in 0.12 is drag and drop of textures onto the canvas so you can get custom texture drawing code easily.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
Yep, I was using Firefox (IE wouldn't load any images at all). My apologies for not saying which browser I was using. This last version does not work for me at all, aside from showing the "Randomize Character", "Toggle Drawpoints" and "Make Custom Texture" texts.

If it's of any relevance, 0.10 was the last version which worked well for me, a WinXP peasant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Penumbra

Feb 25, 2016
@Kesil That's quite strange... XP's able to run a recent version of Firefox (43) which is what I'm testing on. What version of Firefox are you using? Also could you post the log of any errors that show in the developer console here? You can pull it up by pressing F12 and then refreshing the page. The errors should be in red. 

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
I'm using 44.0.2. When should I press F12?

Edit: if I'm not wrong, I reached the console using an alternative way using "Inspect Element". The thing is, my configuration is not in English, so I'm not sure if the messages I got would be of any relevance for you :p So there goes what I suspect you are interested in:

jquery-ui.css:51:8
jquery-ui.css:452:13
jquery-ui.css:519:9
jquery-ui.css:533:13
jquery-ui.css:597:13
jquery-ui.css:664:13
jquery-ui.css:720:13
jquery-ui.css:957:8
jquery-ui.css:964:8
jquery-ui.css:968:8
jquery-ui.css:1216:9
jquery-ui.css:1223:9

Penumbra

Feb 25, 2016
@Kesil 0.12.1 is up with hopefully a fix for you. I replaced all jQuery sliders (which wasn't loading for you for some reason) with html sliders. Here's a preview:

y8dSAgj.png

Penumbra

Feb 25, 2016
Made some new hairstyles; I'm quite proud of the side braid :D  (the math behind it is pretty complicated)

zhrmW2t.gif

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
Far off from now, surely, but wondering if you're going to or even be able to incorporate a way to read a save file and draw character from there without manual input from sliders?

Penumbra

Feb 25, 2016
@Karretch Yeah that's actually already an existing feature inside Twine/Sugarcube. The tester's not really meant for persistent work, but I could add in a save and load feature to it by tomorrow. (probably will take about 10 minutes)

Penumbra

Feb 25, 2016
@Karretch I'm not really one to sit around when I think something's a good idea xD. Already added save and load for 0.13, which is just out

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
OP, I just hope that you won't suffer from a burnout as intense as your passion for this project is atm. More options for displaying various clothes and armor types would do a lot of good for fashion deficient and crap at visualization people like myself.

Penumbra

Feb 25, 2016
@Nik_van_Rijn Mm yeah, I have a habit of binging on things... I have a blog up to act as the central point of new releases and guides since I'm currently posting to multiple forum threads almost duplicate content (I'll post the link here once some content's in place). My friend's going to build a demo Twine game probably by the end of next week showing how to use the tool and extend the Player system inside a game if any of you are game creators.

In terms of options for displaying various clothes, do you mean more clothing templates or an easy way to use those templates? A clothing template is something like a turtleneck. Each turtleneck basically has the same outline, so it's drawn using the same function where you tell it what texture to draw it with. In either the next version or the one after, I'll make a clothing generator where you select a template, then drag and drop a texture you'd like to use as the pattern to create the item.

I'm probably not going to release another update until Saturday next week since I have 2 upcoming midterms and 3 assignments due next week :0

Penumbra

Feb 25, 2016
The project is now publicly released on my site at http://johnsonzhong.me/DAD/
That's where all future updates will be posted. It makes downloading the source a lot more convenient (just click on a tab), and includes the option of hosting the tester live.
I've also decided to make it a public project after taking out some of the blatantly questionable content (don't worry, those can still be easily extended back into the module).
There's a detailed usage guide with examples on the site, as well as an upcoming guide specifically for including it into Twine. 

My friend made a demo Twine game, but I think it still needs a bit more polishing before releasing.

Also please don't wait for me to make more content (hairstyles and clothing templates) as those are not really a priority for me right now. Since it's a public project, the github repository is also public now, so you can see how I made all the templates here https://github.com/LemonPi/DAD. Make content for your own game and then share it so other people can use it please.

Atlas1965

Aug 28, 2015
Link you gave doesn't work, and the TFGames link is confusing as fuck, because it is apparently something that requires experience with coding Javascript to use.

Penumbra

Feb 25, 2016
@Atlas1965 Ah my bad, these forums don't parse enclosed links correctly... (actual link in post above; this link demonstrates how link parsing breaks)

The tool's mainly for game developers, but there is a tester that non-developers can play around with where you can build and save characters (the Test tab in the first link)

Nebula Fox

Aug 26, 2015
Penises seem to not show up with the version that's up on the test page on your website. I dunno if the version still in the source has the same issue.

Penumbra

Feb 25, 2016
@Atlas1965 Can you elaborate on what you mean by broken? As in clicking on it gives you a 404? I fixed the original link by the way; the link in my following post is meant to be broken to illustrate how this site fails to parse links...
The link is posted here again: http://johnsonzhong.me/DAD/

Atlas1965

Aug 28, 2015
@Atlas1965 Can you elaborate on what you mean by broken? As in clicking on it gives you a 404? I fixed the original link by the way; the link in my following post is meant to be broken to illustrate how this site fails to parse links...
The link is posted here again: http://johnsonzhong.me/DAD/

Well, it was broken, but now it's working again. The biggest problem I have now is that the interface is about as user friendly as a porcupine duct-taped to your door knob.

Penumbra

Feb 25, 2016
Big update coming with 1.0.0. It involved a total rewrite, but brings a lot of cool new features.

Body parts now know how to draw themselves to allow mix and matching of arbitrary parts. More details on the development blog
Preview image: 

legfur.PNG

This huge change is in preparation for a game I'm developing.

It'll be a top-down, open world RPG similar to Dwarf Fortress adventure mode and Rimworld, but better story and lewd content.
I only have a basic tech demo for it right now (movement system), but I'm pretty confident in my development skills.

More details on that can be found here

Penumbra

Feb 25, 2016
Haven't gotten much response from this forum, but version 1.0 is almost out. After which I'll work on a Twine game demonstrating how to incorporate it into your game (I think it's very easy)

A collection of updates so far:

Facial expressions

tEffcYR.png

Humanoid male musculature

6eHTPWA.png

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
We're all a bunch of lurkers here, tend not to talk unless we really need to say something. There's also the ever-present fear of possible failure, as other projects similar have succumbed to. Maybe the focus of it not being solely for TiTS gives us hope, but hope is a fragile thing.

razorrozar

Aug 21, 2016
This looks really neat, and so does the game you mentioned you were working on above. Minor problems with uncanny valley here and there (what's up with dudebro's neck up there?) but seeing how the art has improved since you've started the project suggests to me that problem's slowly fixing itself.

Keep up the good work, and don't get discouraged.

Penumbra

Feb 25, 2016
It's meant to be the de facto character visualizer for all browser based games, so focus is definitely not on TiTS. I really don't see any alternatives for what I want the tool to do...

I think a big part of the reason it hasn't received too much attention is that the users of it are game developers, rather than players, and there's many fewer developers than players.

But stay tuned, I'll push out a game for it (I expect in < 1.5 months) once the clothing system gets reimplemented.