Fire Emblem Fates

Corivas

Aug 29, 2015
Since the game came out last friday, I'd like to hear some opinions on it?

Is it a good game? Bad?

Do you like the gameplay and/or story?

Or do you still not have the game  (For a multitude of reasons)?

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
Running consensus; "it owns bones, blows awakening out of the water definitely but some localization changes unrelated to facerubbing and such are unfortunate"

it is

good

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Bought both paths, and am chugging through Conquest first now. So far I really like it -- I dunno if I'd say it's better than Awakening, but it's definitely about as good! Conquest is definitely a much meatier challenge than Awakening, even with casual mode on. 

Otherwise yeah, it's basically Awakening 2.0.

Corivas

Aug 29, 2015
Running consensus; "it owns bones, blows awakening out of the water definitely but some localization changes unrelated to facerubbing and such are unfortunate"

it is

good

Yeah, some of the localization changes were weird. Like one of the name changes being "Tsubaki", an actual name, to "Subaki", not an actual name.

But it's i'm glad you think it's a good game!

Bought both paths, and am chugging through Conquest first now. So far I really like it -- I dunno if I'd say it's better than Awakening, but it's definitely about as good! Conquest is definitely a much meatier challenge than Awakening, even with casual mode on. 

Otherwise yeah, it's basically Awakening 2.0.

A lot of people say Conquest is not only better than Awakening (Like most of Fates), but better than Birthright too. For it's better map design and varying objectives, which brings the OG FE fans back into the mix.

Well, unless your Gamespot.

Us poor EU types are still waiting, with no release date in sight. =/

Yeah, it sucks you guys still haven't gotten a release date for it by Nintendo of Europe.

But at least you guys get "Bravely Second: End Layer" in like, five days. I hear it's pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Arioch

Sep 5, 2015
But at least you guys get "Bravely Second: End Layer" in like, five days. I hear it's pretty good.

Yeah, it is a trade of, look at all that trouble with you guys getting Xenoblade & Last Story a few years ago. Nintendo needs to get its shit together, it is 2016 and there's no reason games shouldn't be released simultaneously in same language regions anymore. 

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
sorry savin, it's totes better.

The map design is on a whole way better, something particularly evident in Conquest but also the other two, units are better balanced and kids aren't outright broken. (Instead the royals are. OH WELL, still not as bad.) Hell, even the difficulties pan out better; hard is "use thought, maybe reset once or twice a whole campaign" and lunatic is "tough, but fair." The random skill BS is gone on the latter, in particular. And you can even downgrade difficulty/death-system at any time. (But only down.)

If the game wasn't tumblr loved via awakening and had a giant ONE YEAR window between Japanese and English all the localization whining would be gone and all you'd hear is "fucking good game, mate."

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
The one major problem I had with Awakening was enemies spawning and moving on the same turn, is that gone?

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
The one major problem I had with Awakening was enemies spawning and moving on the same turn, is that gone?

Not only is that gone, but maps aren't big open fields again so even if it remained it wouldn't be as annoying.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
Awesome.  Now maybe I'll actually want to keep playing on hard mode with perma-deaths on.  I've been constantly wondering if I should start a new game with perma-deaths off or try to keep slogging through my current game on Awakening, then ending up not playing at all.

Corivas

Aug 29, 2015
Awesome.  Now maybe I'll actually want to keep playing on hard mode with perma-deaths on.  I've been constantly wondering if I should start a new game with perma-deaths off or try to keep slogging through my current game on Awakening, then ending up not playing at all.

I mean, you don't have to finish Awakening. You could just go straight to Fates and have that be the place you invest most of your time in.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
I mean, you don't have to finish Awakening. You could just go straight to Fates and have that be the place you invest most of your time in.

Well, yeah, that's what I meant to say.  The rest was explaining why I hadn't finished Awakening even though I really like the character relationships and children system.

Corivas

Aug 29, 2015
Well, yeah, that's what I meant to say.  The rest was explaining why I hadn't finished Awakening even though I really like the character relationships and children system.

It all comes down to personal preference, do you want to slug through the rest of Awakening to feel like you accomplished it? Or do you want to just go straight into Fates without doing that?

Both choices are fine, though if you don't finish Awakening before Fates, your not really losing that much except maybe more character development for the child characters.

Malpha

Feb 22, 2016
I've beaten Conquest now, and moving on to Birthright. God some of the fights in Conquest were brutal. They would have been a lot harder if I hadn't gotten lucky with having some kids left to get towards the end. It was nice of them to have them scale up in overall level. Helped fill in some slots on my roster without relying on people that had inadvertently fallen behind in power. On the otherhand, though, after playing Conquest, Birthright is way too easy. I shoulda upped the difficulty first.

Taboo-Sho

Sep 9, 2015
I beat conquest and sometimes I think there are some Unfair Spikes (See CHP 24 Hinako) and the lack of the ability to level anyone who falls behind is a bitch. But conquest has Peri.

WhatAmIDoing

Feb 17, 2016
Time for some killing.

I love Peri, but I had to leave her behind. *sniff*

I bought it as soon as it came out. Even then gamestop only had conquest. While this being my first game from the FE series I was fairly new. But watching awakening on youtube *cough* Etika *cough* I thought I could play causal with peradeath on. I was mistaken. Its so hard, but I dont want to turn down the difficulty.

Also how many chapters are there?

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
I believe all three campaigns have 28 main story chapters each, plus optional chapters for the optional characters. (Mozu, kids, etc.)

I'm really glad that archers are Good in this game because my birthright army runs around with three of 'em. Potentially five depending on how I promote Sakura and Hinoka. Archers... are good.

(And more importantly Orochi and not-ricken SUCKED SOME BIG FAT GOD DAMN BALLS WHAT THE HELL)

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
Apparently Nintendo has had a problem with not supplying enough copies of their games on releases, I just ran into that today after going to several places and finding out they'd been completely sold out of the game.

I got Conquest, just cleared chapter 7 I think.  Aside from the astral stuff, I've rather liked the way things have been set up so far.  It is interesting that the avatar does genuinely have reasons to pick either side.  I also have been finding a surprisingly high number of things similar to XCOM 2 in here for some reason.  I know that they're both in the same genre with the same random chance mitigation style play, but this is getting a bit silly.

I also found out that the conquest side has Flash Gordon working for them, I thought that character was unpopular in Japan?  It is strange to see the 'evil' team have someone constantly sprouting super hero one liners in them.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
Technically, the Nohr guys aren't really bad, it's just Garon, Iago and Hans that are.

That's why I put it in quotes.  It's obvious right away that none of the other members of the royal family are evil.

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
Apparently Nintendo has had a problem with not supplying enough copies of their games on releases, I just ran into that today after going to several places and finding out they'd been completely sold out of the game.

It's actually a smart business choice; they want people to buy it off the e-shop, not a cart. They get all the revenue off downloads and you can't then sell the cart once you're done with it. Nintendo is particularly feisty about it as opposed to other companies, but you still get it from every PC game ever. 

Corivas

Aug 29, 2015
It's actually a smart business choice; they want people to buy it off the e-shop, not a cart. They get all the revenue off downloads and you can't then sell the cart once you're done with it. Nintendo is particularly feisty about it as opposed to other companies, but you still get it from every PC game ever. 

Yeah, and then there's the fact that the Special Edition got sold out in a month after being announced. Though, that's more because of scalpers and Nintendo collectors going crazy when any Nintendo product gets announced. Take for example, "Amiibo's".

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
In both cases that has a lot more to do with not actually making enough then anything else, though. Both had pretty shallow runs.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
I'm looking through the character lists and class lists now to plan out how I want to do things and what kids I can expect (purposefully avoiding any story spoilers).  Looks like they switched it so that now the child is determined by the father except for two special characters (they get the mother's hair).  I see that Tharja is still in the game, but as a Birthright only child.  Her popularity is probably the reason for that.

I really like the new system for reclassing, it adds a lot of depth to what characters you pair up with one another.  Limiting your choices makes them all much more interesting and the fact that they don't level reset makes it so that they can get right back into the fight immediately.

EDIT: A bunch of the child characters are returning characters from other games.

Corivas

Aug 29, 2015
EDIT: A bunch of the child characters are returning characters from other games.

Without spoiling, three of the 1st gen characters from Awakening are in Birthright and three of the 2nd gen characters from Awakening are in Conquest.

The 1st gen characters weren't received very well in the Fates Character Popularity Poll in Japan though.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
Without spoiling, three of the 1st gen characters from Awakening are in Birthright and three of the 2nd gen characters from Awakening are in Conquest.

The 1st gen characters weren't received very well in the Fates Character Popularity Poll in Japan though.

Yeah, I was looking down the full character list.