Champion's Weapon of Choice?

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
In any RPG game, I always have my style of being the tankiest character, and hitting just as hard. Meaning Heavy Armor and Great Weapons. Though it is nice once in while to be a seductive dancer in this game's case. XD Or if I am feeling particularly bored, I dual wield the Dawnsword with the Chrysanthemum Petal. Though I wished you could dual wield with Ashelander like before.

So its no surprise I am liking the Caranbrot.

Are there are plans down the line for a unique/starred two-handed Crushing Weapon? Specifically a Great Hammer (Mastbreaker doesn't count since you can buy it) . Maybe even a Great Axe as weapon in between penetrating and crushing?

Reactions: CasualAntlerEnjoyer

Greyfox643

May 20, 2016
Not being able to duel weird Ash and Dawn is a deep and visceral pain. One hand is for the living. One hand is for the Dead. Both are here to smite heretics.

And like, I like the dawnsword too much to out it down, it's a lightsaber, and it's wlquest was awesome, so now I just have Ash in a permanent slot in my inventory next to Lyric, because leaving Ashe is storage feels like a Cardinal Sin.

So Dawnsword and Kunai it is. Im trying to ween myself off of the petal, as its slated for a nerf soon.

"Blah blah, just edit it" yeah, and they don't work with dual-tagged abilities if you do.

The only other weapon I've used for a considerable amount of time is the Swift Sword. I do HEMA and Longsword stuff IRL, so having a "finesse/light" Two-Hander is always amazing in my book whenever I find it in video games. I put it down once I realized dual damage types are so amazing at dealing with a wider spread of enemies when adventuring all over.

Bobonga

Aug 13, 2021
I absolutely love polearms. If a game has them, I always use spears as main weapons or Halberds. Which kinda sucks since our companions get all the cool polearms. Atugias summoned Halberd was THE ideal weapon lorewise, for a character of mine. Which is why I just used an editor to spawn it on my char. But the Caranbrot is really awesome. I'm theorycrafting a char and, oh boy, that spear gives you a stupendous amount of tankiness.

I also love crossbows, which is why I'm really grateful that the Bessy Mauler is such a beast. The swift sword is another top tier, but I imagine it as a Kriegsmesser instead of a nodachi.

Reactions: Endwar
I play all manner of characters, and so get around to using a good deal of weapons until I find that special something for each one, but to keep things focused I shall only focus on my most beloved of bludgeons, the Frosthammer in all it's splendor.

Have had it permanently glued to my main champ's hands the moment I found out about it, because, A: Bonk, the most fitting of punishments for all these overly-lewd heathens trying to stir up trouble; B: it's cold, and as someone whose body runs uncomfortably cold naturally, inflicting that hell upon other people brings me a petty sort of satisfaction; and C: you just buy it from a shop, I find that quaint as more and more LEGENDARY weapons are added to the game. Also it's 1 handed, which means you get a shield to protect the goods.

Dawnsword and its quest are cool and all, though I wish it could be procced before Winter Wolf. With how I portray my main champ, it would of been incredibly fitting to leave the thing in the darkest depths of the sea.

Last edited:

Tony_Redgrave

Dec 11, 2021
A cool two-handed greatsword/claymore. I'm playing Dark Knight, would have loved a "Corrupted Dawnsword" style two handed sword for maximum edge.

Cannibal Cravings

Jan 17, 2023
Dual wielder here. Especially considering that some of the off-hand weapons can technically be "thrown" so the flying buff isn't as hard to beat if you don't happen to have spells and whatnot. I usually end up using the Sanctified Gladius for a good portion of the game cuz that holy damage is tasty.

Dec 9, 2018
Bow and arrow guy here, and sometimes swapping in the swift sword to fully live out my samurai dreams. I still question why the lamellar armor has the light tag but the kabuto has the heavy tag. Do they just cancel each other out then, or am I going crazy?

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
My main Champ has always wanted a nice spear so Caranbrot won itself an immediate place at the top of her Best Weapon Ever list. Bonus points for that damage shield fitting really well with the playstyle I use with her.

My only other Champs with real weapon preferences are my cowgirl who loves hammers and maces (so she went for Frosthammer as soon as that was available, then moved to Ashe and will probably stick with her for the rest of the game for thematic reasons) and my White Mage who's built as an old-school FF one, so bows are the go-to weapon. It's not an optimized build at all, but it's fun.

Majincotton

Oct 29, 2019
I try to space out which weapon I use depending on the champion but the Dawnsword and Corrupted Dawnsword feel so weird to not use. I'm not a big fan of maces so Ashe stays on the belt (just so everyone knows I got that thing on me).

Anonymous Bat

Feb 16, 2023
Due to their considerable overrepresentation in fantasy settings, I've grown averse to swords. So... anything but swords for me. I also like having a shield for the peace of mind that crit immunity brings, so typically nothing two-handed either.

In other games, when given the option, tooth and claw is my weapon of choice. There's something viscerally satisfying about going feral on your prey opponents.

No shield, 1½ or 2-handed sword and medium armor (more flexible then mail, reinforced with hardened leather, scales and/or light plating and such) for good maneuverability is the go-to of my MC (Spellblade) in general. Think Witcher III Geralt's Swords and Wolf School Armor or Bear School Armor (until Superior grade, any above that is too heavy). So relying more on mobility, technique and poise for defense. So he uses mostly the Spiraled Blade and wears Leather Jerkins or Armored Robes.

A1teros

Dec 23, 2021
I used Bessy Mauler with Sure Shot for a while before the crit nerf, but now I go with Galon's Griefmaker, similar Armor penetration with split damage and bonus crit. Power Wave and Primal Scar are my Recharges so I can hit at range and fairly often. I experimented with Dawnsword and Sanctified Gladius, along with Control Rod and Shield Orb/Bull Totem but they just didn't seem to hit as hard, that 50 armor penetration really does slap with Power Wave coming up every other turn for range and extra storm damage. Plenty of spellpower equipment to buff its damage too like the big hat and the Tiran Vestments. Got Caranbrot recently and I'll probably equip that for fights where I actually need the tankiness because that's actually worth the damage tradeoff.

Kingu2

May 20, 2020
My favorite weapons so far have been the chrysanthemum petal and the corrupted dawnsword. dual wielding those and playing damage dealer, fights tend to go pretty quick. Runners up are the war scythe and galons grief maker.

War Demon

May 24, 2020
Hell
I would love to be able to dual wield, to War Axes. The only axes you can dual wield are the Franciscas, but those are ranged weapons. I want to be right in the think of it.

For weapons in the game probably the War Scythe. It's a Scythe the chosen weapon of the Grimm Reaper. My second favorite is the Frost Hammer, something that's enchanted that isn't a sword lol. Anyway those are my choices, I mostly an Axe guy though.

Cannibal Cravings

Jan 17, 2023
I would love to be able to dual wield, to War Axes. The only axes you can dual wield are the Franciscas, but those are ranged weapons. I want to be right in the think of it.

For weapons in the game probably the War Scythe. It's a Scythe the chosen weapon of the Grimm Reaper. My second favorite is the Frost Hammer, something that's enchanted that isn't a sword lol. Anyway those are my choices, I mostly an Axe guy though.
You are aware that the "Thrown" tag literally states "Weapon can be used for both ranged and melee attacks." right? The only weapons that don't have any sort of melee attack have the "Ranged" tag. Your build idea is perfectly viable.

Franciscas also have the "Light" tag on them which is straight up a melee weapon tag as well, not sure what made you think they're ranged only weapons.

A1teros

Dec 23, 2021
Maybe some kind of axe? I think that'd make the most sense to throw with two hands, or perhaps a giant shuriken like from Naruto. Spear wouldn't work, it'd be better to throw with one hand, sword could work but it's suboptimal and there's enough unique swords in the game.

Anyone have ideas for a two-handed thrown weapon?
Lyric :gedlaugh:

Seriously now, something like a two-handed throwing weapon wouldn't make that much sense since they also tend to be heavier, hence two-handed. They would only have their use if you'd want to equip powers like Eagle Eye and Steady Strike simultaneously… but then why not simply have each a two-handed and a thrown weapon in your inventory and swap between them as needed mid-fight - which you are already able to do without even losing a turn (pretty nifty feature btw, rare to find that in rpgs).

• Haha
Reactions: HK-47

Resawar

Sep 21, 2018
Anyone have ideas for a two-handed thrown weapon?
A throwing scythe like how the scythe works in POSTAL 2, A magic staff like Palutena's that could spin out of your hand and hit enemy's from distance like her Smash Bros down tilt, any weapon attached to a chain or rope be it Japanese, Chinese, or anything else like it.

SomeNobody

Dec 18, 2020
I've just been using the Sanctified Gladius with a shield ever since I got it. Am generally a fan of sword & board for my fantasy hero PCs in games.
Will probably switch over to the Dawnsword when I get back into playing the game and do that quest.

Reactions: Cannibal Cravings

Mouseling

Jan 6, 2023
I am partial to the mushroom staff, Ashe, and Griefmaker, I play healers exclusively all of these have good damage despite having very little put into my str and agi and Ashe and Griefmaker are delightful for lore reasons to me on top of that! I've had an interest in caranbrot and the wing daggers but I'm a simp for pretty armor so Izkanti dress wins all the time, so haven't quite had the mind to try em

sometimes I also use the sanctified gladius and rose shield if I'm in the mood to feel knightly

War Demon

May 24, 2020
Hell
You are aware that the "Thrown" tag literally states "Weapon can be used for both ranged and melee attacks." right? The only weapons that don't have any sort of melee attack have the "Ranged" tag. Your build idea is perfectly viable.

Franciscas also have the "Light" tag on them which is straight up a melee weapon tag as well, not sure what made you think they're ranged only weapons.
Maybe it's because everytime I use them in an attack. It says "You Throw at opponent (A) with your Francisca" or "Your projectile went completely wide" whenever I miss. That's got me all confused, I know your right I just double checked the wiki. It does say "Thrown can be used for melee or ranged".

Yeah I think maybe I should reword that. Instead of "Ranged" I should've said "Thrown". I would like to dual two "Light" melee, only war axes. Enchanted with Storm power so it be like dual wielding. Two Guitar Axes (Side note might be why I like Axes so much) like the Guitar Axes in the pictures below. That would be sweet especially, if you wanted to be a warrior bard.

Attachments

• bass-guitar-lessons-axe.jpeg
    bass-guitar-lessons-axe.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 5
  • renderguitar1.jpg
    renderguitar1.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 5
  • e8a177c59f16b92d48750aa857109fa7.png
    e8a177c59f16b92d48750aa857109fa7.png
    265.6 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Cannibal Cravings

Turnbridge

Mar 25, 2023
Rangewise, It's fun to enter the Undermountain the first time with the Bessy Mauler coupled with Crowd Control and the like. Somehow shoving 3 or 4 bolts into that thing and firing 'em all at once at those imp bastards!

Other than that, as soon as I first get the Galon's Griefmaker it's been two handed weapons for my warrior for the longest time. Also helps when they're catalysts, becoming a spellblade by the second arc of the game. That Storm Glaive tho, Unf!

War Demon

May 24, 2020
Hell
The only time I'll use the Gladius is if I can go all Spartan. In the game then I'll use the Gladius. Also I think you can dual wield that and the dawnblade. I think I saw that last time I was playing and holding the dawnblade, while going through the storage box. I'm real curious now, oh you know what would be fun if you have Ashe with you.

But you don't have Ashe equipped and you go into battle. You hit the use button instead of equip, and the mace just starts moving on it's own. The mace becomes like a summon that'd fun, for a little while at least.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
And Aly's confusion almost certainly comes from the fact that Spartans were Greek while the gladius was a Roman sword, and the respective fighting styles weren't the same. :p

And Aly's confusion almost certainly comes from the fact that Spartans were Greek while the gladius was a Roman sword, and the respective fighting styles weren't the same. :p
Fairly similar depending on the Greeks in question, a phalanx formation was the ol' reliable back in the day for many.

As for confusion, for your average joe ancient greece = roman empire, with knowledge of where the two diverge often ending past the names. A lot of people actually do think the gladius a greek weapon as a result, especially since it's a name that's much more widely known versus the xiphos.