Is there a save editing tool?

Memory Leak

Feb 8, 2016
Yes, I know you could just use any JSON tool or even NPP, but that is just nasty work for those who don't know anything about coding, much less JS/JSON. I am not asking if there is a JSON tool, I am asking if there is a specialized save file editor for FoE, not unlike CoCEd. Anything, at all? Not even a glorified JSON editor with FoE save flags?

If there is not, is there any particular reason other than simply not doing it? Alder request not to create one? License restrictions? Threats from a figure of authority? The main reason I ask is I have been slowly piecing together a character editor just for fun and I'd like to make sure I am not reinventing the wheel or stepping over any boundaries. It would be nice if someone else did, because I hate reading through JavaScript trying to find flags, stats, and strings for everything (and my programming level is amateur at best).

Don't get me wrong, I am just like anyone else who edits their save files. I just want a fancy tool with a GUI so I can cheat my way to breaking the game or making my character picture perfect. Only difference is I MIGHT (and I super emphasize that) be able to do something about the lack of such tool.

MESeele

Aug 26, 2015
No. Because it's easy enough to edit without one.

People who don't want to put in 10 minutes to figure it out won't put in any effort period, and will complain even if some special editor was handed to them wrapped in a pretty bow. They will complain no matter what. They will complain about lack of features, it not being up to date, or that it's too difficult to use. Why would the developers make an editor to cater to those people? What would they gain from making such a thing? Especially when that time could be spent making the game.

If you want to make an editor, go for it. I highly doubt anyone will stop you. Just know that most people around here who talk about maybe making things tend to flop around without actually producing anything.

Memory Leak

Feb 8, 2016
No. Because it's easy enough to edit without one.

People who don't want to put in 10 minutes to figure it out won't put in any effort period, and will complain even if some special editor was handed to them wrapped in a pretty bow. They will complain no matter what. They will complain about lack of features, it not being up to date, or that it's too difficult to use. Why would the developers make an editor to cater to those people? What would they gain from making such a thing? Especially when that time could be spent making the game.

If you want to make an editor, go for it. I highly doubt anyone will stop you. Just know that most people around here who talk about maybe making things tend to flop around without actually producing anything.

I completely agree with what you are saying about people complaining. That is simply what we as humans do. We complain and we complain a LOT, so that is to be expected and I can live with that.

I don't know about others, but the gain from working on such a tool for me is educational and a decent enough reason to pursue my hobby. Yeah, i can see why that won't apply to most people who can already do such a demeaning task or to those who could care less about programming, but I see it as an opportunity to learn how to use some neat tools for future use. In this case, Python 3 with the PyQt5 bindings and some fun with the py2exe and QtDesigner tools.

That brings me to the 'actually producing anything' part. This project is mostly because I want a neat tool to use on FoE and the know-how to make more of these neat tools in my free time, so yeah, no promises on whether or not it becomes viable for others to use. I kinda have it easy with this game though. A JSON parser is built right into Python. Setting out on such an adventure for say TiTS would have been hell as that game serializes its saves it seems. As much as I'd love to reverse engineer how flash serializes data and the object structure of the game, I don't have that much free time.

MESeele

Aug 26, 2015
I've mistaken your intent. As a means to learn something new or to pursue a hobby, I earnestly wish you the best of luck.

Alder

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 26, 2015
If there is not, is there any particular reason other than simply not doing it? Alder request not to create one? License restrictions? Threats from a figure of authority? The main reason I ask is I have been slowly piecing together a character editor just for fun and I'd like to make sure I am not reinventing the wheel or stepping over any boundaries. It would be nice if someone else did, because I hate reading through JavaScript trying to find flags, stats, and strings for everything (and my programming level is amateur at best).

I have nothing against anyone creating such a tool. To my knowledge, no one has as of yet.

It would be appreciated if you put your work up on github tho, when you feel it's in some state of completion :)

Memory Leak

Feb 8, 2016
I have nothing against anyone creating such a tool. To my knowledge, no one has as of yet.

It would be appreciated if you put your work up on github tho, when you feel it's in some state of completion :)

Alright, so I am not creating a redundant tool then.

Due to the licensing of PyQt (The GUI library I am using), it is required that I put the source up if I am to distribute the program at all, so don't worry about that. The only thing that concerns me is that I can only build a windows executable. Supposedly, it is possible to build/run the project on many Linux distributions, but I have no knowledge how to do so. Mac and mobile are out of the question at the moment I am afraid due to PyQt limitations.

Also, Alder, do you mind if I ask a few questions about the game mechanics? It would be nice to know about some things before I end up having to rewrite a large section or complicated function. If you would rather I just go read the source code, that's fine. I lack the JavaScript knowledge necessary to quickly read through it is all. Well, that and I'll be honest, I'm a tad lazy and mildly irritated with JavaScript syntax. My experience with reading and writing both C++ and Java proved easier than reading JavaScript. To each his own though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alder

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 26, 2015
Alright, so I am not creating a redundant tool then.

Due to the licensing of PyQt (The GUI library I am using), it is required that I put the source up if I am to distribute the program at all, so don't worry about that. The only thing that concerns me is that I can only build a windows executable. Supposedly, it is possible to build/run the project on many Linux distributions, but I have no knowledge how to do so. Mac and mobile are out of the question at the moment I am afraid due to PyQt limitations.

Also, Alder, do you mind if I ask a few questions about the game mechanics? It would be nice to know about some things before I end up having to rewrite a large section or complicated function. If you would rather I just go read the source code, that's fine. I lack the JavaScript knowledge necessary to quickly read through it is all. Well, that and I'll be honest, I'm a tad lazy and mildly irritated with JavaScript syntax. My experience with reading and writing both C++ and Java proved easier than reading JavaScript. To each his own though.

Yeah, you can poke me if you'd like some explanations.