Bess/Ben Quest?

Brock

I don't know if it's actually a quest or not, it's the romance thing you do with her/him. You know, befriend them, tell them to be awesome, then they love you? (Yeah, I know I missed a few steps, but you get the picture). I'm playing on the public build, so I don't know if that makes a difference, but for some reason I can never get Bess's romance/quest/thing to finish. I've gotten up to her watching the news with me or maybe it was her cleaning up around the ship but I never progressed further then that. I tried using the wiki but nothing came of it. Also, I'm about 150 days or so in so I thought it would've activated by now. Is there something I don't know? 

nxc

Sep 12, 2015
Depending on what options you pick on her events you can lock yourself out of romancing her and i think you also need to raise her affection for you to progress (just spend time with her) Just look on her page under "Quests" on the wiki here

http://wiki.smutosaur.us/Bess

EmperorG

Sep 6, 2015
You also need to be aware that most of their events unlock only 3 days or so after the last one. And since he/she has 28 events, you're going to be waiting a real long time to get through all of it.

Plus like nxc said, you might lock yourself out of the chain.

argenten

Sep 9, 2015
You also need to be aware that most of their events unlock only 3 days or so after the last one. And since he/she has 28 events, you're going to be waiting a real long time to get through all of it.

Plus like nxc said, you might lock yourself out of the chain.

It's best to get her early on and do other things like building up Steele's teasing strength or booze tolerance while waiting. 

EmperorG

Sep 6, 2015
It's best to get her early on and do other things like building up Steele's teasing strength or booze tolerance while waiting. 

Heck get the Water Queen to knock you up while you're at it, multi-tasking is the best way to unlock/do everything in a reasonable amount of time.

argenten

Sep 9, 2015
Heck get the Water Queen to knock you up while you're at it, multi-tasking is the best way to unlock/do everything in a reasonable amount of time.

Yup, did that with my Fem Steele character. Breaks my brain a bit to do it with my guy Steele.

Holy shit! I had no idea there was more to Ben! That is hella intricate! I'm hopping back in game tonight!

argenten

Sep 9, 2015
Yeah, the current wiki has all 28 levels to her affection quest...her bibliophilia is adorable.

Yeah, the current wiki has all 28 levels to her affection quest...her bibliophilia is adorable.

Well he's a JimT creation, so he gonna be intricate and well-written. I should have expected that.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
I was going to ask whether there was a way to track down Ben/Bess' levels, but I just realised that the game includes an event map button with an optional hints one.

EmperorG

Sep 6, 2015
I was going to ask whether there was a way to track down Ben/Bess' levels, but I just realised that the game includes an event map button with an optional hints one.

Yeah that was a recent addition, which I love because it means I don't have to either guess when the next even unlocks or do math.

argenten

Sep 9, 2015
Yeah that was a recent addition, which I love because it means I don't have to either guess when the next even unlocks or do math.

Nope, just max out her affection early on and then let the days go by.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Well he's a JimT creation, so he gonna be intricate and well-written. I should have expected that.

And it's just a tip of iceberg since Jim got sooooo much more plans for expanding her...soemday in future since even current version of Bess/Ben getting ingame took so much. Anyway shortest time to get all those events ingame is around 60 solar days...so yeah her/his quest line is current longest thing running ingame (and probably will be for couple of months maybe ever 1-2 years to come especialy when Jim extend this questline with X-pack ^^)

EDIT: About affection...it's bottleneck with it around 4th or 5th event when affection needed for next event jump like 2-3 times the previous one needed while all gains from previous completed parts of the quest not giving enough affection to break throu this bottleneck. Easiest is after getting her onboard talk to her non stop in meantime of her initial 2-3 events to get affection to around 30. After that all future events will be giving enough affection to allow next one event in line trigger when another 1-3 days pass ^^

Last edited by a moderator:

EmperorG

Sep 6, 2015
Nope, just max out her affection early on and then let the days go by.

You misunderstood me, I meant that event map is great because I can plan ahead better when to return to the ship and talk to Bess. I max out the relationship by the 6th event usually, since it isn't that hard to do if you spam the "let's hang out" button. Not knowing when to go talk to her is annoying since I don't want to keep coming back to my ship every damn couple hours in the hopes she's got something new to say.

argenten

Sep 9, 2015
You misunderstood me, I meant that event map is great because I can plan ahead better when to return to the ship and talk to Bess. I max out the relationship by the 6th event usually, since it isn't that hard to do if you spam the "let's hang out" button. Not knowing when to go talk to her is annoying since I don't want to keep coming back to my ship every damn couple hours in the hopes she's got something new to say.

And I was attempting to agree with you that the event map negated the need for math or guessing, that was totally on me.

Brock

So the minimum is 3 days? Is that exactly 3 days? Because on a secondary character, I was on day 113 when Bess tried to do the whole jokes thing. I ran around and did some stuff, came back on board and slept until day 117 and nothing...so...does anyone know the maximum number of days? 

StarcraftJunkie

Aug 29, 2015
So the minimum is 3 days? Is that exactly 3 days? Because on a secondary character, I was on day 113 when Bess tried to do the whole jokes thing. I ran around and did some stuff, came back on board and slept until day 117 and nothing...so...does anyone know the maximum number of days? 

The layout for all of this is literally on the wiki. Not all events are automatic - they only have a % chance of firing when you talk to Ben/Bess. Some have affection % requirements. Some have time wait requirements, some don't. Most have some combination of all 3. There's this super convenient wiki linked from Fenoxo's blog that details ALL of this in detail. It was literally linked to in the 2nd post in this thread. Please use it.

There's also an in game event map and hint system that shares pretty much all of this information as well, right through Ben/Bess' main menu. It could not get more easy.

Brock

The layout for all of this is literally on the wiki. Not all events are automatic - they only have a % chance of firing when you talk to Ben/Bess. Some have affection % requirements. Some have time wait requirements, some don't. Most have some combination of all 3. There's this super convenient wiki linked from Fenoxo's blog that details ALL of this in detail. It was literally linked to in the 2nd post in this thread. Please use it.

There's also an in game event map and hint system that shares pretty much all of this information as well, right through Ben/Bess' main menu. It could not get more easy.

Thanks. I'm sorry, it's just I have a character that has had bess with him a while and I haven't gotten to the date part of it yet, and she's been with him for a very long time. Guess I'm just really unlucky eh?

EmperorG

Sep 6, 2015
Thanks. I'm sorry, it's just I have a character that has had bess with him a while and I haven't gotten to the date part of it yet, and she's been with him for a very long time. Guess I'm just really unlucky eh?

Yeah it probably is you're unlucky, I've had times where it takes like 10 tries of going to her menu before the event triggers.

Heather_Trails

Jan 20, 2016
Ok is anyone else having problems with Event 17? Probably not because I can't find any questions about it anywhere, but apparently you need a Holoroom to play graviball. I know it either has to have been implemented or there's a workaround because I've seen people talking about event 22 and 23, but I can't seem the find it. Also, the wiki says nothing on it. The quest line Bess/Ben's wiki page just says play graviball. I search for holoroom in the wiki and nothing comes up and searching for graviball brings back to Bess/Ben's page.

Can anyone please help me with this?

f4s1k1n

Aug 28, 2015
Ok is anyone else having problems with Event 17? Probably not because I can't find any questions about it anywhere, but apparently you need a Holoroom to play graviball. I know it either has to have been implemented or there's a workaround because I've seen people talking about event 22 and 23, but I can't seem the find it. Also, the wiki says nothing on it. The quest line Bess/Ben's wiki page just says play graviball. I search for holoroom in the wiki and nothing comes up and searching for graviball brings back to Bess/Ben's page.

• Bess/Ben is a friend
  • 1/4 chance after Event 16
  • Bess/Ben affection at 70% or more

Also you must wait 1,5 days to trigger that scene,,, my way is to travel to different planet and talk to Bess/Ben, if the event is not starting repeat the previous statement,,,

Heather_Trails

Jan 20, 2016
  • Bess/Ben is a friend
  • 1/4 chance after Event 16
  • Bess/Ben affection at 70% or more

Also you must wait 1,5 days to trigger that scene,,, my way is to travel to different planet and talk to Bess/Ben, if the event is not starting repeat the previous statement,,,

Bess/Benn is  friend, even tried to say I love her. I got the trigger for the event where she talks about playing graviball and it says once I get a holoroom I can play it. and the affection level is at 100%. Also, I've waited weeks and still nothing. I'd tried this on 2 different characters. One as soon as possible, sub 100 days, and the other was at over 300 days. Both are stuck at being able to play gaviball when I get a holoroom.

StarcraftJunkie

Aug 29, 2015
Bess/Benn is  friend, even tried to say I love her. I got the trigger for the event where she talks about playing graviball and it says once I get a holoroom I can play it. and the affection level is at 100%. Also, I've waited weeks and still nothing. I'd tried this on 2 different characters. One as soon as possible, sub 100 days, and the other was at over 300 days. Both are stuck at being able to play gaviball when I get a holoroom.

The gravball stuff isn't a problem - the last event is just supposed to open up some interactions with the holoroom if it ever gets added.

The next event only has a 25% chance of triggering each time you approach Bess (provided all other conditions are met). So go in and out of interaction with her and the crew menu until it triggers.

Heather_Trails

Jan 20, 2016
The gravball stuff isn't a problem - the last event is just supposed to open up some interactions with the holoroom if it ever gets added.

The next event only has a 25% chance of triggering each time you approach Bess (provided all other conditions are met). So go in and out of interaction with her and the crew menu until it triggers.

Ok, thanks. Where I was getting confused was that the in game event map doesn't show the time til the next even from event 17. Event 18 doesn't show it either, so I presume it's not going to show how long you have to wait anymore. Thanks for the replies.

Brock

I have issues getting to event  or 14. I've never made it up to event 17.  

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
To be fair, if a recent update really did fix Bess's event procs, I'd be pretty happy to know.