FF14: Shadowbringer

K

Kokayi005

I'm getting it. I'm back into FF14 with a vengeance after a 3 year break. What about yall!

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
Never got FF14, would love to start it someday. Although I tend to forget MMOs really quickly.

K

Kokayi005

It's the most deep story MMO I've ever seen. More than just fight, travel, get cosmetics.

Kitsune Lord Momiji

Jan 12, 2016
Hawkethorne
I know this thread is rather old, but given it's only on Page 2 I thought it might be prudent to post here rather than creating an entirely new thread.

Shadowbringers was a pretty fun experience, though I don't think the game ever managed to maintain the hype of the original 5.0 expac. 5.3 came PRETTY close, though I don't think
Elidibus
as a villain was quite as compelling as Emet-Selch. Mainly because
all of his character focus came in 5.3 despite him being around since the A Realm Reborn patches?
Still a better villain than Lahabrea, though.

If I had any complaints, it'd be that:

1. Insatiable as a boss theme was great. Insatiable as a boss theme AND the mini-boss theme feels like too much of one song, even if it's the Dissidia mix for the latter. I know the songs themselves aren't great, but the mini-boss themes do prevent certain music from getting stale. And, while I haven't played
Amaurot
since the original and don't know if those minibosses also use the new remix of Insatiable, I remember feeling like the original mini-boss music really captured the tension of fighting through this
ruined society
as opposed to there just being a cool boss theme.

2. This one is more on me, but I never played Nier: Automata. As a result, the Alliance Raids are not really doing anything for me. I mean, I read a Let's Play of the game, so I know the general gist of things, but so far it just feels kinda ehhhh. Then again, I felt the same way about Return to Ivalice since I never played Final Fantasy Tactics or Final Fantasy XII, and Ridorana and Orbonne wound up being some of my favorite Raids. Even when they came out, though, there was always the fun of Argath being suddenly voiced or Construct 7 murdering everyone with math and lasers or even everyone freaking out when Yiazmat showed up. In comparison, the only thing I remember being excited for in the Nier Raid is fighting discount GLaDOS.

Maybe it's just that it feels kind of asynchronous with what's going on on the First? I suppose I'll have to wait and see what the final Alliance Raid is like before I make a final judgment.

3. The villains who aren't Emet-Selch feel a little lackluster. Vauthry felt like he was underused for a guy who wound up being the antagonist for 95% of Shadowbringers, though at least he got more facetime than Thordan. Ran'jit was a lame adversary, and felt like someone just had a hard-on for Mercenary Tao from Dragon Ball. "Zorn" and "Thorn" never fused together into a giant clown monster. And I already mentioned that
Elidibus getting a plot dump about who he is and what his deal is
so late kinda hurt him.

4. The patch content doesn't feel quite as exciting as Stormblood's, even if the overall story is leagues better. And there's no Yotsuyu, so that's a plus as well.

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
Dn7UebOWkAA63Gx.jpg

v3hemenc3

Aug 29, 2017
Never got FF14, would love to start it someday. Although I tend to forget MMOs really quickly.

If you still haven't gotten FFXIV, the game's free trial just got expanded to include the first expansion, Heavensward. That's roughly 3/4ths of the game free.