Long Live the Princess

Belle

Oct 28, 2017
www.patreon.com
x8f8QRt.png

Downloads
Current public version: 0.35.2. Click here for download links and patch notes.
Current patron-only build: 0.36.0 (click here for Patreon links).

Public releases are exactly one minor version number behind the patron releases, but no content is held back beyond that.

Please support me on Patreon or on SubscribeStar Adult if you like the game.

Synopsis
The King is dead. His daughter, Princess Selena, is set to take the crown. But something is wrong. Murder, backstabbing, and visions of extinction threaten to bring ruin to all that is good. And at the heart of it all is a tale of personal tragedy and lost love.

You are a Truthsayer. Yours is the ability to tell if someone is lying. With your mentor dead, it is up to you to protect the Princess when she arrives in your hometown for her coronation. But a secretive old crone and her foul-mouthed pixie assistant have different plans for you.

With a newly learned ability to uncover secrets and use them to your own advantage, you are tasked with getting close to Princess Selena to save her from her darkness. But to achieve that, you must practice by getting close to the women in town. Real close.

And as you venture towards your destiny, someone is watching you closely...

Gameplay
Do you like Persona? Do you like Ace Attorney? There are elements of both in this game. You have a limited number of in-game days to prepare yourself for the Princess' arrival. Each day allows you to take three separate actions. Your choice of actions will dictate whether or not you are ready when the Princess finally arrives, so choose wisely. Carefully balance the various aspects of your life, such as practicing your spellcasting, improving your abilities, building relationships, earning money, and so on. Don't worry, there is no grinding in this game, and every action will be meaningful.

While doing all this, you also have to uncover the deepest, darkest secrets of the girls in town so that you can affect them with your spells. When you feel confident that you have figured out a girl's secrets, confront her and reveal the knowledge you have uncovered at the precise time needed for maximum effect.

Long Live the Princess is not a linear game, and you might very well end up failing in your quest. Replaying will allow you to keep some of your abilities from the previous playthrough, increasing your chances of success the second time around. Can you find all the game's secrets?

qaCNRmW.jpg

DsbuqUQ.jpg

4uWUs09.jpg

0p2IdGP.jpg

Feel free to ask me anything you want about the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: wibble

Belle

Oct 28, 2017
www.patreon.com
Not bad, but I would need a walkthrought for this one, because the right attributes and what not.

Don't worry, a walkthrough isn't really necessary at this point. The attributes aren't currently used, but will be enabled in version 0.3 as long as everything proceeds according to plan. :)

Belle

Oct 28, 2017
www.patreon.com
On future versions, then.

Yeah, I'll probably have to write one and keep it updated pretty soon. It's going to be hard writing it though, because this is a game with no definite path through it. There is no way to achieve all sex scenes in one playthrough because the various girls have diverging paths, so a walkthrough would have to pick one particular way and follow it through. A guide of some sort might be more handy, showing solutions to puzzles and talking about the social mechanics going on behind the scenes with each separate girl.

Reactions: Nephilim_Anunnaki

lostone2

Aug 27, 2015
In case that you made some sort of official guide, I hope that you don't choose to lock it behind a Patreon post (at least a permanent one), because that limits the apparition of unofficial ones (as the people who usually make them choose to avoid this game, in my experience). In any case, I will probably make one, but very much down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nephilim_Anunnaki

Belle

Oct 28, 2017
www.patreon.com
In case, that you made some sort of official guide, I hope that you don't choose to lock it behind a Patreon post (at least a permanent one), because that limits the apparition of unofficial ones (as the people who usually make them choose to avoid this game, in my experience). In any case, I will probably make one, but very much down the road.

This is a tricky situation because writing such a guide takes a lot of time and effort that might be better spent on actual game development. Seen like that, putting it behind some kind of Patreon tier makes sense. Then again, I don't want to fleece my patrons.

This is probably going to remain an open question until the necessity for a walkthrough becomes too big to ignore. I'll keep thinking about it, I promise.

lostone2

Aug 27, 2015
Well, if/when you choose to provide an official guide as a Patreon tier reward, I won't share publicly mine (if I had started to do so).

Belle

Oct 28, 2017
www.patreon.com
Version 0.15 is now out for everyone. I've added links to the first post in this thread. Enjoy! :)

Changelog version 0.15:
  • New scenes for Callie's store (featuring more than 75 new images).
  • Rollback is now enabled. Previous choices are locked.
  • Extended the time limit. The game now ends on the morning of day 10.
  • Tweaks and additions to tutorial messages.
  • Experimental perspective change button. Will be improved in future versions.
  • Minor bugfixes.

Frost

Aug 27, 2015
Thank you very much, this game is awesome so far, I just look forward to seeing it develop to the point that we can interact with all the girls

Belle

Oct 28, 2017
www.patreon.com
Thank you very much, this game is awesome so far, I just look forward to seeing it develop to the point that we can interact with all the girls

Oh that's going to take a while. I'm planning to add quite a few different girls that aren't in the game yet. :)

asestado

Sep 3, 2015
You don't need to know!
Ok the game has potential, but I would like to give a few recommendations:

-First I recommend that you add a "mind control stat", meaning that unless you have enough mind control points the girl will easily refuse your control or just don't answer your questions.
-Add relationship points that can be positive or negative, you don't have to be liked by everyone at the start or perhaps you will piss them off with your actions, for example failing a mind control check, failing a favor, having a good relationship with a character they hate... should decrease your friendship with the character and it should have an effect.

Seeing the type of game it will be the optimal if the girls have the following parameters:

-Friendliness stat (from -100 to 100) with you and other characters
-Love stat (from 0 to 100) with you and other characters
-Sexual orientation (lesbian, bisexual, heterosexual), if lesbian the love stat with the character can't increase from 0.
-Fetishes (discovered and developed because of our actions): Things like being dominant/submissive, anal lover, oral lover...
-Objective of the character (what they want to achieve, like the shop girl is trying to find a girlfriend)

This could be the core of every girl and based on it you could make many interesting things.

For example you could influence the shop girl to focus on romance and fall in love with your sister, if you leave it at that she could try to pester your sister whenever she can and try to be closer, if you then increase the friendliness stat of your sister towards her, she will be more tolerant to her behaviour and if you increase her love stat then they will become a couple (however you wouldn't be able to increase the love stat if the sister isn't bisexual or lesbian).

I say this because just playing the demo I truly hoped that I could hook them up, the sister and the shop girl.

Belle

Oct 28, 2017
www.patreon.com
Ok the game has potential, but I would like to give a few recommendations:

-First I recommend that you add a "mind control stat", meaning that unless you have enough mind control points the girl will easily refuse your control or just don't answer your questions.

I fail to see how this would improve the game in any way. It seems to me like something the game already deals with and which would just get in the way of the fun. Fun is always my first priority.

-Add relationship points that can be positive or negative, you don't have to be liked by everyone at the start or perhaps you will piss them off with your actions, for example failing a mind control check, failing a favor, having a good relationship with a character they hate... should decrease your friendship with the character and it should have an effect.

Seeing the type of game it will be the optimal if the girls have the following parameters:

-Friendliness stat (from -100 to 100) with you and other characters
-Love stat (from 0 to 100) with you and other characters
-Sexual orientation (lesbian, bisexual, heterosexual), if lesbian the love stat with the character can't increase from 0.
-Fetishes (discovered and developed because of our actions): Things like being dominant/submissive, anal lover, oral lover...
-Objective of the character (what they want to achieve, like the shop girl is trying to find a girlfriend)

This could be the core of every girl and based on it you could make many interesting things.

For example you could influence the shop girl to focus on romance and fall in love with your sister, if you leave it at that she could try to pester your sister whenever she can and try to be closer, if you then increase the friendliness stat of your sister towards her, she will be more tolerant to her behaviour and if you increase her love stat then they will become a couple (however you wouldn't be able to increase the love stat if the sister isn't bisexual or lesbian).

I say this because just playing the demo I truly hoped that I could hook them up, the sister and the shop girl.

This is needlessly complex and at the same time very generic. There is already a system of hidden opinion points in the game (as described by one of the tutorial popups), and they are different for every girl. They aren't on a scale between "love" and "hate", but focus on specific opinions and impressions. Many of the things you mention also have no reason to be part of the game mechanics. They are part of the story and there is no need to complicate them.

Long Live the Princess is supposed to be a pretty open game, but it's not intended to be a true sandbox. If I make it too open and too controlled by game mechanics rather than story, it becomes generic and predictable. That's the complete opposite of what I want it to be. This is a story-driven game told in a nonlinear way, with emphasis on unpredictability and discovery. If the player can go "if I get five more points in stat X, then I can make the girls do Z" then I have utterly failed in my objective.

To summarize some of my design philosophies for LLtP that are relevant to this discussion:
  • Use as few stats as I can get away with, but make each stat and each upgrade within that stat feel significant and meaningful.
  • As a result, stats should operate on a very small scale. Stats, for example, currently operate on a scale from 1-6. Upgrading a stat even by a single point should have noticeable, but unpredictable, effects.
  • Hide the "AI" for the girls from the player to maintain a sense of mystery and discovery.
  • Avoid grinding at all costs.
  • Don't create automated game systems for something that is better handled though hand-crafted design.
  • Don't let the player accomplish everything he wants to just because he's trying to do it. This is the unavoidable backside of unpredictability, but it is necessary. To refer to a specific example above: It may not be possible to hook up two characters, for reasons that are beyond the player's control.
  • The optimal "path" through a girl's content shouldn't always be love, nor should there be just one "correct" path. Love might not even be possible with all the girls.
As you can see, my philosophies run counter to several of your suggestions. Don't take it personally. This has been part of the game's philosophy ever since I first started writing the design document well over a year ago. I'm always open to suggestions, but I feel like the things you are pointing me towards are generally changes that would make my game more generic and less interesting.

asestado

Sep 3, 2015
You don't need to know!
I fail to see how this would improve the game in any way. It seems to me like something the game already deals with and which would just get in the way of the fun. Fun is always my first priority.

This is needlessly complex and at the same time very generic. There is already a system of hidden opinion points in the game (as described by one of the tutorial popups), and they are different for every girl. They aren't on a scale between "love" and "hate", but focus on specific opinions and impressions. Many of the things you mention also have no reason to be part of the game mechanics. They are part of the story and there is no need to complicate them.

Long Live the Princess is supposed to be a pretty open game, but it's not intended to be a true sandbox. If I make it too open and too controlled by game mechanics rather than story, it becomes generic and predictable. That's the complete opposite of what I want it to be. This is a story-driven game told in a nonlinear way, with emphasis on unpredictability and discovery. If the player can go "if I get five more points in stat X, then I can make the girls do Z" then I have utterly failed in my objective.

To summarize some of my design philosophies for LLtP that are relevant to this discussion:
  • Use as few stats as I can get away with, but make each stat and each upgrade within that stat feel significant and meaningful.
  • As a result, stats should operate on a very small scale. Stats, for example, currently operate on a scale from 1-6. Upgrading a stat even by a single point should have noticeable, but unpredictable, effects.
  • Hide the "AI" for the girls from the player to maintain a sense of mystery and discovery.
  • Avoid grinding at all costs.
  • Don't create automated game systems for something that is better handled though hand-crafted design.
  • Don't let the player accomplish everything he wants to just because he's trying to do it. This is the unavoidable backside of unpredictability, but it is necessary. To refer to a specific example above: It may not be possible to hook up two characters, for reasons that are beyond the player's control.
  • The optimal "path" through a girl's content shouldn't always be love, nor should there be just one "correct" path. Love might not even be possible with all the girls.
As you can see, my philosophies run counter to several of your suggestions. Don't take it personally. This has been part of the game's philosophy ever since I first started writing the design document well over a year ago. I'm always open to suggestions, but I feel like the things you are pointing me towards are generally changes that would make my game more generic and less interesting.

Well don't worry, I usually give recommendations just because I think they can be helpful, if you don't think the same then that's okay, there isn't a single way to make a game and in the end the only thing that matters is that the player can enjoy the game, if you achieve it then everything is solved.

Personally what I love the most is influencing characters and seeing how it develops. But well what I said was more on the line of "absolute control" from the player, what I think you want to do is exactly the oppossite, having that element of unpredictability, surprise and failure.

It is good to have that in a normal game, the only bad thing that I see is that it will limit a lot the fetishes that the game can have because people are usually quite picky about that. People in adult games prefer control over unpredictability and this was quite clear in a game called seed of chaos.

This is my personal opinnion but seed of chaos, which is currently being made by lord Arioch, wanted to be a game with that element of unpredictability but was forced by player's pressure to change on that way and now it is a bit saturated with choices and little to none unpredictability.

I remember a few months ago that thedarkmaster talked about it when relating it to sexual content and made a good argumentation, meaning that people have certain... "reasons" to play a game, and people don't like to see anything that could "kill" their boner and why there is a "gate" for the content of the game.

I'm just saying this as pure information and obviously it has my perspective over that game seed of chaos and it's evolution on that sense. I just hope that it's useful.

I would recommend that you share ideas with people like TheDarkMaster and Lord Arioch, because their views on unpredictability and how to make it viable are priceless.

I'm not a game developer and my views are limited, but I just hope that you don't end with problems along the way because of that.

Belle

Oct 28, 2017
www.patreon.com
Version 0.20 has now been released for everyone. I have updated the links in the first post.

Changelog:
  • New scenes for Primrose (featuring more than 60 new images).
  • The current day of the week is now shown when time progresses.
  • Disabled the loading of old saves to prevent crashes and story progression issues.
  • Lifted the time limit completely for now. It will be reintroduced in a later version.
  • Backgrounds now use JPG instead of PNG, reducing the size of the game on disk.
  • Tweaked clue names in the code to reduce the risk of accidental spoilers in case of crashes.

Belle

Oct 28, 2017
www.patreon.com
Version 0.3 is now out for patrons. I have updated the links in the first post to reflect this. 0.3 will be available to everyone in exactly one month, on December 28th.

Changelog:

• Expanded main storyline.
  • New scenes with Belle.
  • New scenes with the Crone.
  • New scenes with Thaddeus.
  • Short new scenes with Evelyn, Callie, and Primrose.
  • Minor additions to Remove Inhibitions for Evelyn, Callie, and Primrose.
  • Revamped user interface now lets you access inventory, abilities, and see the current day and time.
  • Updated certain older scenes to utilize the new inventory system.
  • Also added ability restrictions to some of these scenes.
  • All rollback restrictions have been lifted for the time being.
  • Significant code changes to prepare for the loading of old saves in future versions of the game.
  • Added brief note when reaching the end of certain types of content. Because this is a non-linear game, such warnings will not appear for all content. If you find yourself grinding to discover new scenes, odds are you have seen everything.
  • Fixed a few typos.

Belle

Oct 28, 2017
www.patreon.com
what fetishes are in this game?

Currently? Not a whole lot since there aren't many sex scenes yet, but there are some, such as incest (it's not a major part of the game, but it's there). Let's just say that there's a pixie in this game that is smaller than an erect penis. ;)

Planned fetishes include stuff like anal, A2M, lesbian, threesomes, pregnancy, pubic hair (is this a fetish?), mind control, and so on. Things that will definitely NOT be in the game include bestiality, loli, scat, peeing, and gay (as in male/male) content.

I hope that answers your question sufficiently. Honestly, I haven't really written down a complete list of planned fetishes. I figure this out as I go.

Belle

Oct 28, 2017
www.patreon.com
Version 0.3.1 is now available to the public. Look a few posts above this one for the changelog, and in the first post for download links.

I have also released version 0.4.0 to patrons. Again, see the first post for a link to the appropriate Patreon post.

Changelog 0.4.0:
  • Added two new girls (Samarra and Nell) and some of their core events (featuring more than 110 new images). Please note that the new girls are not available until after a few days into the story.
  • Added the first stage of agility training.
  • Slightly expanded Callie's changing room scene.
  • Slightly expanded Evelyn's night scene.
  • Slightly expanded Primrose's night scene.
  • Loading old saves (from version 0.3.0 and up) should now work. Some changes may still cause old saves to break, depending on where you saved.
  • Updated graphics for Evelyn's night scenes.
  • Added text to show when an ability check is successful. Not all checks will display these messages.
  • Primrose's schedule extended beyond two weeks.
  • Minor tweaks to first conversation with Thaddeus if it occurs later than expected.
  • Placeholder next/previous page buttons on clue screen if you somehow have more than 15 clues.
  • Minor bugfixes

wibble

Sep 13, 2017
This is still an extremely impressive game. It's well written, I like the characters, I don't want to punch the protagonist any more than anyone in-game does, and I like the conceit. Also you have packed an order of magnitude greater content into an order of magnitude smaller file size than most devs.

My only disagreement with the game is the forced spying on a sleeping person; something that the game quickly lets you extricate yourself from and doesn't force on you again. I'll continue to look out for it, and I hope it does well for you.

Belle

Oct 28, 2017
www.patreon.com
This is still an extremely impressive game. It's well written, I like the characters, I don't want to punch the protagonist any more than anyone in-game does, and I like the conceit. Also you have packed an order of magnitude greater content into an order of magnitude smaller file size than most devs.

My only disagreement with the game is the forced spying on a sleeping person; something that the game quickly lets you extricate yourself from and doesn't force on you again. I'll continue to look out for it, and I hope it does well for you.

The protagonist does get punched in version 0.4, so I guess that means you have some desire to punch the guy. ;)

I keep the sleep scenes optional exactly because I expect many people to feel the way you do about them. I was originally even going to keep the one in the tutorial completely optional, but realized I would have to split a lot of future scenes into two separate paths if I did, which means a lot of extra work. So now you have to engage with that scene at least for a tiny bit at that moment, and then you're done. I have plans to tie some ability progression to those scenes in the future, but your feedback reminded me that I should probably also have a separate method for those who want to avoid them.

wibble

Sep 13, 2017
The protagonist does get punched in version 0.4, so I guess that means you have some desire to punch the guy. ;)

I keep the sleep scenes optional exactly because I expect many people to feel the way you do about them. I was originally even going to keep the one in the tutorial completely optional, but realized I would have to split a lot of future scenes into two separate paths if I did, which means a lot of extra work. So now you have to engage with that scene at least for a tiny bit at that moment, and then you're done. I have plans to tie some ability progression to those scenes in the future, but your feedback reminded me that I should probably also have a separate method for those who want to avoid them.

I have no doubt that they will deserve the punch. It just annoys me when the PC is given a free pass for all the stuff they generally get up to in adult games, so it's nice to see the NPCs in this game react when the PC is being an idiot / creepy / whatever. I'm glad alternative routes will be available (I'm aware of how much extra work that can be, so thanks.) I especially like how you can just ask for things in the current build rather than having to steal them!