Seeds of Chaos [Ren'py - Version 0.2.42]

DaviceMathews

Aug 26, 2015
That seems sensible, the only thing I would worry about is placeholder images. If images are used in limited quantities then each image becomes important. If the image is really poor quality then it can be jarring to the player but if it is decent/great changing the placeholder image can really upset people. So I think you are absolutely right to wait on the images and commission them for a specific purpose.

Lord Arioch

Sep 5, 2015
Yeah, it was always designed as a text game first and the images are easy enough to code retroactively, and would be optional (there's already a ON/OFF switch in the settings), so no need for placeholders. In my experience, people tend to play these games again from the start to try new things, so I don't think it is an issue with them coming later.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
The "its not easy being Green" quest reminds me of the minions from the Overlord games :p

Funny thing is when I saw this put up the first thing I thought of was those games, even funnier part of it was that I just got done beating both the first and second games.

Sadtaco

Aug 27, 2015
That was more a set up for the joke than anything, to be honest I don't know what the exact details of the laws about it are here. The government did recently ban facesitting though, so probably best not to push it.

Oh. UK? Condolences.

Lord Arioch

Sep 5, 2015
Just a quick update - work continues as expected. I've also got a logo on commission with a great artist, and when that is done I'll launch the site with some planned pre-release posts talking about game vision, design philosophy, etc.

Shido

Aug 28, 2015
So with the game will it only be playable on the site or will you be creating a version that can also be played offline as well?

As a champion of light do you have a choice of not doing as the shadow says or is the game all about the fall of the hero?

Is the champion based on certain criteria of emotions or is it all based off your choices and how you decide to take things?

mrttao

Aug 31, 2015
Looks awesome, this is a really pleasant surprise, especially with the amount of work you already put in.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
So with the game will it only be playable on the site or will you be creating a version that can also be played offline as well?

As a champion of light do you have a choice of not doing as the shadow says or is the game all about the fall of the hero?

Is the champion based on certain criteria of emotions or is it all based off your choices and how you decide to take things?

I don't think there's a 'Light side" path at all. You're playing a PC that's been enslaved/turned to the darkside. IF you think about it it screams Overlord where the main character is a villain.

Shido

Aug 28, 2015
I don't think there's a 'Light side" path at all. You're playing a PC that's been enslaved/turned to the darkside. IF you think about it it screams Overlord where the main character is a villain.

I never said anything about a "Light Side". I was just curious as to the state of mind to the PC now that he is no longer a hero, As in would he no longer feel towards others or would he be able to still tell right from wrong even if he doesn't have a choice in the matter.

Lord Arioch

Sep 5, 2015

It'll be online at launch, but I definitely want to offer an offline version, I just have to figure out how to do it.

I'd say it is about the fall of the hero in that context, but how it effects the player is going to be down to them. If they choose to cling on to their past and try to do the right things in difficult situations, they are going to be more emotionally torn that the player who embraces the dark side, so to speak.

Tying into the last question, it is going to be mostly about how you decide to take things. You always want to give the player a choice, but those choices should shape them, so how you act will eventually begin to determine the choices available to you. To simplify and use a popular example, say, if you start at chaotic neutral and repeatedly make chaotic evil choices, you'll lock out the ones for chaotic good and get new chaotic evil ones. I'm going to write a long post about this soon-ish, but ideally, you want people to become invested in their choices, and by extension, their character.

Shido

Aug 28, 2015
Now I get a feeling I am about jump in a Bauldor's Gate or Neverwinter type game. xD

art926

Sep 8, 2015
Sounds really cool. So, the first demo will be available only in 2-3 months?

Lord Arioch

Sep 5, 2015
Now I get a feeling I am about jump in a Bauldor's Gate or Neverwinter type game. xD

It does have a bunch of AD&D influences, like stats being used not just for combat, but also to check whether you can do stuff like STR check to lift a gate, INT to understand a strange language, etc.

Sounds really cool. So, the first demo will be available only in 2-3 months?

Hoping to have first alpha out by Christmas, but it all depends on how much I get done between now and then.

dilaudid

Oct 2, 2015
I really like the sound of this game. I'm just curious, you said there would be fembois/traps and I guess the F/H M/H means hermaphrodite. But would there be 'reverse traps'/'cuntboys' too? Like a man with a vagina or female-to-male transformation etc.

Lord Arioch

Sep 5, 2015
I really like the sound of this game. I'm just curious, you said there would be fembois/traps and I guess the F/H M/H means hermaphrodite. But would there be 'reverse traps'/'cuntboys' too? Like a man with a vagina or female-to-male transformation etc.

It is a possible transformation for the main character, and I don't see why there can't be NPCs either. :)

redfox

Aug 27, 2015
I can't get into your website because of the age restriction bug is not at 18 and its higher age 34. because i keep on getting Sorry! You're not old enough to visit this website. i got to say this is first time i ever an age restriction bug on a website. anyone else getting this bug?

Lord Arioch

Sep 5, 2015
I can't get into your website because of the age restriction bug is not at 18 and its higher age 34. because i keep on getting Sorry! You're not old enough to visit this website. i got to say this is first time i ever an age restriction bug on a website. anyone else getting this bug?

That's odd, I have just checked in panel and it is definitely set to 18. Have you tried clearing your caches? 

redfox

Aug 27, 2015
I cleared the caches, deleted a few cookies and its fixed. thanks four your help man.

MysteryMouse

Aug 29, 2015
When I put the age in, instead of letting me in, it just resets the numbers. Won't let me in at all.

Lord Arioch

Sep 5, 2015
Have deactivated the age gate for the time being until I can figure out why it is causing problems, should be fine for those who can't get in now.

Despite the quiet, work continues. Big news to be announced in the near future, but for now, here's some more character design work (click for fullsize) -

Andras.png

Karnas.png

Alexia.png

Last edited by a moderator:

MysteryMouse

Aug 29, 2015
Really liking what I'm seeing. Hope to see more awesome stuff!

art926

Sep 8, 2015
Looks like very high quality project! Art is really cool. Please, keep working on it! Can't wait to try it )

Lord Arioch

Sep 5, 2015
Hey guys, work is ongoing, not much to add at the moment, but I thought I'd share a little something I got back from one of the concept artists earlier today. :)

(as usual click for full size)

DarkFortress_Final_HighRes_Png.gif