slight question about mods

Nao

Dec 29, 2017
So reading these i stumbled upon that CoC 2 will not have mod support. Im ok with that but can I ask why?

BubbleLord

Scientist
Creator
Jun 24, 2016
Because if people want to help the game, they can submit content to it and get it implemented officially.

No reason to mod a game that you can help build if you have the experience.

Nao

Dec 29, 2017
Because CoC1 didn't even really have mod "support," people just kind of went and modded it.

As far as I'm aware, Fen regretted going open source with CoC immensely, and literally nothing good came of it from a developer PoV, so for CoC2 to do the same thing would just be insane, frankly.
ah alright, i was new to coc and got into it by revamp so I had no idea it had some negativity when I started playing

Alabaster Chimes

Aug 29, 2015
The game isn't opensource, which means it would be ILLEGAL to make mods of it without the owners permission. CoC1 was opensource, so mods could be created, and some of the things that came out of those mods were quite terrible (CoC X). They dont want a repeat.

There's also the fact that certain members of the mod community are so unbelievably toxic (Will not repeat the things said) that I dont think the devs want them anywhere near they're children....

Reactions: Freed85
Apr 2, 2018
Please, do tell.
mods with questionable quality were made

honestly I think revamp was cool to continue on development and as a programmer I think looking at code for smaller games is cool but I understand why the code isnt released for coc2. I'd like for it to be released but it's their choice.

If anything I'm curious why JS for their language of choice.

Reactions: Nao

Raindrops

Jun 19, 2016
If anything I'm curious why JS for their language of choice.

I'd guess that it's because JS is supported by all browsers without having to install anything else, so they won't have to think about compatability. And, it's unlikely to get phased out anytime soon like Flash did, so they can keep developing for a long time too

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
I'd guess that it's because JS is supported by all browsers without having to install anything else, so they won't have to think about compatability. And, it's unlikely to get phased out anytime soon like Flash did, so they can keep developing for a long time too
Basically this. You can play it on android/iOS too without having to release separate builds and such.
Also this

Apr 2, 2018
I'm not sure about that reason. Most game development engines and frameworks deploy to multiple platforms pretty easily as listed here: https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/wiki/engine_faq#wiki_which_engine_should_i_use.3F

JS historically has had issues with different browsers but I speak from a general web development view, unsure if it will apply to here but I digress. I guess what's done is done so there's not much point arguing about it, just a very weird choice.