River explanation?

alchemicaldagger

Apr 12, 2024
I have played majority of the content in this game, im replaying it again for the umptenth time- and JUST realized that in the initial river talks cait says he's got a weird vibe and apparently the player character thinks he seems off??? what am I missing, please someone help what god is disguised as river, who does he work for, im gonna die if i dont get an answer (an exageration but i DID finally make an account purely to ask this LMAO)

Loveless

May 29, 2022
Well, if you have done the Convocation of Mirrors go back to River and ask "Seen Before?" someone should appear and explain the situation.

But if you don't want to bother: River is a homunculus created by Mallach to "view the world from a different perspective" basicaly. The reason he seems familiar is because there are actually a bunch of these homuncili running around.

alchemicaldagger

Apr 12, 2024
Well, if you have done the Convocation of Mirrors go back to River and ask "Seen Before?" someone should appear and explain the situation.

But if you don't want to bother: River is a homunculus created by Mallach to "view the world from a different perspective" basicaly. The reason he seems familiar is because there are actually a bunch of these homuncili running around.
i owe u my life thank u

Listo

Aug 19, 2023

Bit of an ackthually moment but, assuming Mallach is being honest (can't really trust these perfidious aliens too much but I don't think there is much of a motivation for him to lie on this matter), there are only about 2 dozen or so of such homunculi running around at a time. So, it is extremely unlikely we would have met any of them ever besides River himself, given how big the world is and how few of them there are. Therefore, it is probably not because of any common characteristics between the homunculi that he looks familiar, if any such telltale sign exist, we would not ever have had the opportunity to find out about them anyways. There has always been a River around for a little under 2 centuries (Mallach being the first one for 60 years, minus the 250 since the end of the godswar, 190 years of Rivers that were homunculi), and the current River we know of is an amalgamation of many different homunculi that were prior Rivers. Once again, unlikely we've met one of these Rivers. In other words, it is the semblance not to any actual homunculi, "Rivers", or otherwise that makes River familiar, but because we've met actual, natural people that have a semblance to one or several of these prior "Rivers" River is an amalgamation of. Either that, or Mallach was lying about how common these homunculi are and we really have met more of them... but if so, that'd justify the suspicion that every new person the champion meets is one of them, and as cool as you could argue that is, I'm personally not a big fan of that type of reveal.

Reactions: Ultra Chad