Writing Questions about Lore and Magic

Alandir

Mar 16, 2022
I am currently thinking about writing a character, a goblin shortstack that could become a resident at the wayfort. Since I like goblins and we could use more of them in this game and I think the Wayfort could use some more content too. I have read a bunch of stuff of the lore from the design document and the wiki, but haven't found anything specific on some questions I have, so I thought I would ask here.

I plan to have that character be a orphan from a distant city, so I would like to know if we have a list of city names writers can use for this stuff or if we can just make up a city of our own? The specifics of the city aren't too important, so if there's an official list it would just need to be a multiracial city, with a decent population and brothels. And it shouldn't be a povertyless utopia, since her being a struggling orphan is important for the story.

I would also like to know if there's an official word on what the limits of magic are in Savarra. I plan to make the character a sort-of magic savant. She cannot use magic consciously, but can subconsciously influence herself and the world around here with her magic. I don't plan to do anything major with that, but I like the idea of magic savants. I have some fun scenes in mind for the champion discovering this about her, since she doesn't even know herself and it serves as a neat excuse for some more out there sex scenes.

Another question I had if there are similar restrictions on bedmates that we have on companions? Or is it just a matter of writing the needed "Go to Sleep" and "Wake up" scenes and hoping it gets accepted? I think we could use more bedmates at the wayfort and I have some fun sleeping scenes in mind for her.

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
I plan to have that character be a orphan from a distant city, so I would like to know if we have a list of city names writers can use for this stuff or if we can just make up a city of our own? The specifics of the city aren't too important, so if there's an official list it would just need to be a multiracial city, with a decent population and brothels. And it shouldn't be a povertyless utopia, since her being a struggling orphan is important for the story.
Potential cities referenced somewhere in the game so far:

Belhar. Holy city, one of the greater metropoleis of the Heartlands, and once the center of the empire, but is now rather run down from its former glory.
Eldenstone. Nothing explicitly described about it save that it is also in the Heartlands and is home to a magical college of some renown.
Marouka. Also a Heartlands city, also home to a magical college; it is a major port that has come to dominate its local river valley.
Drapsa. Ruined city destroyed in a Heartlands conflict about fifty years ago that once was home to another magical college. (Most of these names so far come from the Education codex entry.) Drapsa has been resettled in recent years, but is still nowhere near as populous or wealthy as it was before it was sacked and razed.
Altenspire. Not much known here other than that it has a thane that has some connection to the wyld elves. May not be a city but rather a territory.
Barania. Mostly a sheepfolk city. Appears as the original home of Clementine and as the location of Brother Bastille and Sister Joan's chapter of the Order of the Oriflamme.
Maidenbridge. More of a town, very close to the Frost Marches, once ruled by the en Errion family (Lusina's ancestors) before they were overthrown. Currently home to Lyana, Liaden's mom and Sanders' former flame (and still the love of his life).
Tychris. The greatest city of the frostmanders, albeit also somewhat run down since its heyday. Situated just across the Grayvale Mountains, a few days' journey from Hawkethorne. Ruled by the en Tychris family. Planned to be visitable in a future quest.
Khor'minos. We've been there. Greatest city of the minotaurs, underground, very powerful, very wealthy, very diverse.

The first five names on the list have the most diverse populations and are the most likely candidates. KM could be fun, too.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I would also like to know if there's an official word on what the limits of magic are in Savarra. I plan to make the character a sort-of magic savant. She cannot use magic consciously, but can subconsciously influence herself and the world around here with her magic. I don't plan to do anything major with that, but I like the idea of magic savants. I have some fun scenes in mind for the champion discovering this about her, since she doesn't even know herself and it serves as a neat excuse for some more out there sex scenes.
"To safely engage in spellcraft, a sorcerer or cleric requires three things: a catalyst -- typically a wand or staff inset with a treated arcane gemstone -- through which to channel the primal forces at work, a memorized ritual invocation that will shape spell into the desired effects, and the ability to speak clearly and coherently. A mage conjures the power of a spell through force of will, drawing from the ambient magic around herself and binding it to her control, at least for a moment. That power is then shaped by memorized words of power spoken forcefully and clearly: this is important, as a single misspoken phrase in a spell can render the whole thing moot, or worse. This is why mages should carry a catalyst with them at all times: should a spell go wild and awry, it is possible to focus the backlash into the arcane gem and away from the caster. If not, she's likely to burn herself out or cause uncontrolled mutation. And you should hope the backlash is limited only to the caster!"

There's not really anything like a "savant" as you describe. Some individuals can be born from elementally-infused bloodlines (see: Hellhounds; an upcoming NPC from Ryn's quest) and can naturally channel their own element. This tends to be very "brute force" and explosive magic, rather than anything subtle.

I had if there are similar restrictions on bedmates that we have on companions? Or is it just a matter of writing the needed "Go to Sleep" and "Wake up" scenes and hoping it gets accepted? I think we could use more bedmates at the wayfort and I have some fun sleeping scenes in mind for her.
Theoretically any major Wayfort character could have sleep-withs.

Alandir

Mar 16, 2022
Thanks for the quick answers you two, that's very helpfull.

Given that the magic savant likely won't work, I have another questions about goblins. Since they can take traits from other species can they take the traits of multiple species over subsequent generations.
Like goblin gen 1 breeds with a catfolk and results in gobo gen 2 with catfolk traits. If goblin gen 2 then breeds with a elf can the resulting goblin child have both catfolk and elven traits?

Also could a slime fertilize a female goblin? The slimes reproduction information sounds like they would always produce another slime if fertilized with semen, but can they fertilize other species. Basically could a goblin be born with some slime characteristics?

Reactions: Alypia

Balaknightfang

Resident Coke Addict
Aug 5, 2018
Because goblins take traits from non-goblin parents, families of goblins that have lived amongst another race will gradually take on more and more traits as generations pass.

As their writer, the above quote from their codex does indicate that multiple traits is possible. I should probably change this to say "other races" instead of "another race" tbh.

WRT the slimes, the answer to that would be no.

Alandir

Mar 16, 2022
As their writer, the above quote from their codex does indicate that multiple traits is possible. I should probably change this to say "other races" instead of "another race" tbh.

WRT the slimes, the answer to that would be no.

Thanks!
I expected the answer about the slimes since the entry doesn't indicate that they produce semen, but it was worth a shot.

Alandir

Mar 16, 2022
I have another question. This time for parsers.
Is there a parser that can be used to say This happens between this time and that time.
I am thinking something like [time 10:00 15:00|It's between 10:00 and 15:00|It's some other time].
Searching the parser documentation and tester programm I only found dayNight and shopsOpen. I know Lusamine's times to show up in the frosthound have nothing to do with daytime and when shops open or close. So would something like that need to be coded in individually or is there are parser I could use.