Writing an NCP encounter

ssm0use

Jan 9, 2016
Gang,

I would love to help add some content to CoC II. I've been hanging out playing the original CoC, TiTs, FoE and the CoC mods for *whew* several years now. I'd love to make a small contribution. To that end, I've read through the design docs, parser guide, and the other docs up at this point. However, for someone that hasn't submitted to previous Fenoxo projects, it isn't quite enough.

Let me step back a second and explain why I feel a burning desire to add to this game and haven't for the others. Believe it or not, I dreamed about a scenario that sprang fully formed after playing through the CoC II demo. A regular NPC popped into my head with the name, Dr. Morelunt. The doctor is itching to exist. In my mind, the NPC would be someone the Champion would randomly encounter on that rare occasion. Kind of in the mode of Essrayle, but with a completely different personality.

To that end and to get other potential contributors geared up and able to make contributions, I'd be willing to help out however I can. I'm putting in the effort to become a full-time freelance developer too. Thus, I'd consider any writing/development I did for this project to be training. win-win.

Is anyone available to help create more of a "How To" guide with code snippets and such? I'd be more than willing to work on that too. In my previous life, I've written a number of these for internal project handoffs to facilitate future development efforts.

btw ... If you went to Fenoxo's panel in Atlanta this past weekend, I'd love to hear about your experience.

Take care, all. I'm very excited about this game! Also, I hope I didn't overstep, but I put up a post on the tfgamesite.com to alert everyone to the existence of CoC II. The Fenoxo games don't get regular notifications of updates on that sight. However, I'm sure a bunch of the folks that play those games are also big fans of the work here.

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
The coding is closed source, so that's fairly unlikely.

As for writing, though, the Event Writer's Guide stickied at the top of the submissions forum is for just a thing. It details the world and the parser information, which is all you really need to crank some stuff out. It doesn't feature a general outline yet, but you could glance over pending submissions in this forum or in the TiTS one. (tits is in a different codebase altogether, but has a very similar parser, to the point much of it is the same.) TiTs also has a general formatting guide if you are really stressing to put things into a googledoc.

After that just put words on a screen and make it work.