[WIP] The Masquerade (Mask Maker)

Grimoire

Jun 15, 2018
Florida
www.patreon.com
Hello, my name is Grimoire and this is my first NPC submission!

This is one of my first entries as a writer for TITS, known for one of my other projects from back in the day of COC on a massive project called Sou'jure: City of Corruption. This submission will focus on an NPC named after myself, who specializes in making Transformative Masks utilizing the Major and Minor Transformation effects of popular TF items in a mask version that are permanent while also providing a brand new type of TF that allows players to have Temporary Transformations via Masks based on a Timer similar to Buffs/Statuses. The Masks will be added in individually over time.

For now, however, this submission will focus more on Grimoire's character background, activities, lore and romance. The flavor of this NPC is akin to a gentleman with a flare for showmanship with a zest for aesthetic beauty and art in all forms and makes impeccable masks with special properties not found in regular TF items sold in most stores. His particular style is white glove society mannerisms, appreciation for detail, and a very skillful artist himself. The main draw is his mystique hiding behind more than one type of mask, very little is known about him and what one can gather about him is gleamed through his surroundings.

I have his Google Document ready for viewing with the permissions to leave comments and feedback; though I'd prefer if those extensive comments and concerns are best made on the thread as much as possible. Please let me know what you think of him and the content I'm writing.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12Bd-y8AC7GuNd9RJRdnsjxHyoUStkQYAnHc4jJQbgn4/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

OofS

Apr 26, 2019
Hello, my name is Grimoire and this is my first NPC submission!

This is one of my first entries as a writer for TITS, known for one of my other projects from back in the day of COC on a massive project called Sou'jure: City of Corruption. This submission will focus on an NPC named after myself, who specializes in making Transformative Masks utilizing the Major and Minor Transformation effects of popular TF items in a mask version that are permanent while also providing a brand new type of TF that allows players to have Temporary Transformations via Masks based on a Timer similar to Buffs/Statuses. The Masks will be added in individually over time.

For now, however, this submission will focus more on Grimoire's character background, activities, lore and romance. The flavor of this NPC is akin to a gentleman with a flare for showmanship with a zest for aesthetic beauty and art in all forms and makes impeccable masks with special properties not found in regular TF items sold in most stores. His particular style is white glove society mannerisms, appreciation for detail, and a very skillful artist himself. The main draw is his mystique hiding behind more than one type of mask, very little is known about him and what one can gather about him is gleamed through his surroundings.

I have his Google Document ready for viewing with the permissions to leave comments and feedback; though I'd prefer if those extensive comments and concerns are best made on the thread as much as possible. Please let me know what you think of him and the content I'm writing.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12Bd-y8AC7GuNd9RJRdnsjxHyoUStkQYAnHc4jJQbgn4/edit?usp=sharing

I’m not a huge fan of self-inserts like Embry and Perdita because it gives me very strong Mary Sue vibes which I loathe very much. I don’t mind if you put some parts of yourself in a character, but please don’t go overboard by naming the character the exact username as yours and such.

With that aside, I have still yet to read all of it, so I’ll edit this when I do. So far the above caught my eye and the mask stuff is giving me spooky Majora’s Mask Vibes, like the happy mask salesman guy.

97C775E1-A533-4CE1-B268-2614E0317A2E.jpeg

Grimoire

Jun 15, 2018
Florida
www.patreon.com
The Happy Mask Salesman from Majora's Mask vibe was intentional, and I've stated this on Discord, because that is referenced a few times (head canon-wise). The way the masks work is similar to the ones in the game that it references which is a subtle nod; the purchase and first time use of a TF Mask will trigger another reference upon returning to the NPC when you inquire about the TFs to which he'll say: "You've met a terrible fate, haven't you?" when Silly Mode is on, the whole project will be littered with references including Poe A things. Another tidbit will be the naming of the Masks by category: "Majora", "Minora" and "Tempus" will be another reference of two things. One will be the first one making it obvious, the first and second one are given Latin names which is a reference to Anatomy which someone would find ironic considering some of the masks are made with synthetic skin that assimilates with normal skin.

As far as the naming of the NPC goes, it'll stay for the sake of being a placerholder but i do plan on keeping it because the original name is suppose to be a surprise for a Quest idea and a Bad Ending or two and I'm just not sure how THAT is going to turn out because that idea is bit of a stretch to pull off and maybe scraped than rewriting the whole entry. Having said that, I hope some people will overlook the name and like the character persona i'm writing because I've put a lot more thought into making him than the other idea i had for an NPC.

OofS

Apr 26, 2019
Ok, I used little of my free time during finals week to read this and here’s my overview.

1) There’s so many blocks of texts. I’m sort of being a hypocrite on this since my first project has similar problems too. However, it’s not to this extent. I think the issue with your blocks of text could be because you didn’t separate the NPC dialogues / actions from the player’s, which actually states you should in the writing guide.

An example:

You raised your hands to show that you have no intention of hurting the android seeing as how you scared the thing by showing up on their ship without warning. “Hey, I’m not going to hurt you, I just came aboard and thought I would just look around.” You turned your back to show off your weapons to the android and kept your front facing them when you returned back around. “See? I’m just here to get some answers and maybe see about purchasing one of your masks.”

The android drops their hands after seeing how polite and well mannered you are to consider its feelings about the situation. But they light up with a delightful smile expression on their face when you mentioned purchasing a mask. They clap their white gloved hands together gleefully and brush their hands against their pants and walks up to you still a little cautious, keeping a short distance from you..

2) The example above also brings me to another problem. You over detail the non-dialogue bits, which makes you do some accidental repeats and run-on sentences. I threw this into Quillbot and did some modifications for you to see how better it sounds than before:

The android lowers its hands with a smile after you suggested buying a mask. They gleefully clap their white gloved hands together and rub their palms against their trousers. They walk up cautiously and keep a distance from you.

3) You forgot to lower the pronouns when they are speaking. It may look weird sometimes, but that’s how dialogues work. You should add a comma if the speaker does a action and wants to continue talking. You also need to write in present tense, not past:

He asks you, “Now then, how may I assist you today?”

“Actually, I’m not here to purchase a mask. My ship just happened to change course on its own and we spotted your ship as we were looking for the signal beacon for data retrieval,” you shrug your shoulders, “It was the damndest thing.”

4) I know this is a pain in the ass to do, but you should use <i></i> in your dialogue. It gives the coder less hassle and makes the dialogue stand out more :

The man looks at you for a moment, <i>“If only it were that easy. I don’t mind it, it’s nice and quiet around here.”</i>

5) Your buts aren’t written correctly and need a comma, not a period. Plus, you could just toss out the commas and just start a new sentence all together. I self-taught myself that:

That’s all you really needed, but you seem to have disappointed the man when you weren’t really here to buy any of his many masks. He must get that a lot with people passing through this system regularly… if at all.

-

Otherwise, you write really well. You have a nice writing style and it actually got me engaged. However, you need to work on structuring and formatting your paragraphs and sentences. It was really hard to read and clumped up. Also, that introduction is long as fuck! It’s literally 7 1/2 pages with no //Next s. Please shrink it down and avoid pulling a Shizuya on us...

As far as the naming of the NPC goes, it'll stay for the sake of being a placerholder but i do plan on keeping it because the original name is suppose to be a surprise for a Quest idea and a Bad Ending or two and I'm just not sure how THAT is going to turn out because that idea is bit of a stretch to pull off and maybe scraped than rewriting the whole entry. Having said that, I hope some people will overlook the name and like the character persona i'm writing because I've put a lot more thought into making him than the other idea i had for an NPC.

Ok, but if this does get in per se, what is your author name going to be? Unless, you are planning on using a different author name then I don’t see an issue. Your answer is very vague though and you just said that it’s a temporary, but you plan to keep it afterwards? I’m confused.

Even if you made him the greatest character you’ve ever created, the name will eventually give people the idea that you just self inserted yourself into the game. There’s so many cool and mysterious names you can give this character without making him so... obvious.

Last edited:

Grimoire

Jun 15, 2018
Florida
www.patreon.com
Thank you for looking over the document and it's actually very uplifting that you were engaged and like my writing style.

I would like to point out that my way of doing things is get everything on your mind out on paper then go back and edit things out to avoid Writer's Block which is a huge curse of mine as it stalls my progress and causes me to procrastinate more often. I'm not overtly concerned about <><> at the moment as much as i am presenting my story that i'm trying to tell, but i understand that it is necessary for make clear distinction of the PC's thoughts from their dialogue. This is the first time I'm doing a TITS project that's very different from 2014 and everything is very different from COC's scripting and functions that I'm constantly playing around ideas and get hung up on being perfect about it. If i have time to add something i will, but the overall point is to keep focusing on getting it done than being precise and correct without being hung up on pronouns and grammar. I know my editing sucks and grammar is all over the place, editing is something I save for last whenever possible and that's probably why it looks weird and not formatted formally.

I'm still learning the structure so please be patient with me.

Now that you mention it, I should probably think about using the original name i had for the NPC since i do recall there being an author tag in scenes that show up in-game. I was being very vague because the name i had picked sounds a bit too on the nose and if someone knows what to look for and piece things together, they'd discover that the alias was just a cover.I like to keep surprises but I'll probably go with the original name because I do like to keep this username as my pen name for the future.

Reactions: OofS

TheShepard256

Like OofS said, the intro is incredibly long, but I think a bigger problem is that it doesn't give the player any control between this event triggering and actually leaving the Masquerade, especially since Steele explicitly walks through several rooms during that sequence. A better way to do it would be to deposit Steele onto a map of the Masquerade after docking with it, give the player some freedom to explore the ship and only having the conversation with Ian and the masked man once the player moves into the relevant tile, much like how Kiro's first encounter is done.

I think the paragraph regarding the stuff in the ship's kitchen could lead to a case of fridge logic. As-is, it's fine if it's just Steele on the ship (albeit portraying them as a bit lazy and/or slobbish, which some players (e.g. me) would disagree with), but the more crew members Steele's ship has, the less likely I think it is that the kitchen would be poorly stocked. Particularly if Yammi is one of those crew members, since she always has something cooking and can serve up food at any time.

The paragraph about Steele readying their weapons is unnecessarily detailed and makes assumptions about their weapons that aren't necessarily true:
  • 'Steele's ranged weapon is some kind of gun with a magazine of bullets that requires cocking before being fired'. Steele can wield a much wider variety of ranged weapons than this, including various bows, a ship-grade fire extinguisher and a Captain America-style shield. Even among guns, many of them don't use bullets, instead using lasers, plasma bolts, arcs of electricity, corrosive substances, lust-inducing psionic beams or other, more exotic projectiles.
  • 'Steele's melee weapon can be flourished'. This doesn't make sense for the heaviest melee weapons like the Saurmorian Hammer, or for more punchy-style weapons like the Predator Talons or Custom Shock Gear.
  • 'Steele always has both a melee and a ranged weapon equipped at all times'. Steele can unequip either or both of their weapons at any time; while this may not be optimal, it can be made to work through certain playstyles.
Because of how varied Steele's weapons can be, when it comes to describing what they do with them, less is more; a simple "Readying your{pc is unarmed: "self" /else: " [pc.weapon]"}" should suffice.
The same paragraph also assumes that Steele's upper undergarment has a collar (which it probably doesn't considering that upper undergarments are usually bras or t-shirts) and that by wearing clothes, Steele is necessarily wearing shoes. What sort of shoes would be worn by a Steele whose lower body is that of a naga/lamia or a gooey, amorphous blob? I don't think even mentioning Steele's clothes is necessary or helpful here; just saying that they head towards the airlock is fine.

The paragraph after that seems to be mostly irrelevant to the story being told. First, it says that Steele is unsettled by going through an airlock, which is something they should be used to by now and wouldn't find unsettling. Second, everything after that except for the last sentence feels more like a tangent to the story than anything that adds to it. I'm not convinced the paragraph needs to be there at all; any concerns Steele may have about boarding a potentially hazardous ship can be addressed when they're readying their weapons and going to the airlock.

Grimoire

Jun 15, 2018
Florida
www.patreon.com
Like OofS said, the intro is incredibly long, but I think a bigger problem is that it doesn't give the player any control between this event triggering and actually leaving the Masquerade, especially since Steele explicitly walks through several rooms during that sequence. A better way to do it would be to deposit Steele onto a map of the Masquerade after docking with it, give the player some freedom to explore the ship and only having the conversation with Ian and the masked man once the player moves into the relevant tile, much like how Kiro's first encounter is done.

Of course there isn't any control over anything yet because it is way too early to do it. I'm still writing the main thing. There will be options to interact with everything, however, i'm not focusing on the distractions as much as i am getting what i wanna say on paper first and then going back and adding the other touches like messing with the plants, examining the masks in display cases or trying to break into the other half of the ship to discover what secrets the NPC is hiding. But I just haven't gotten to it yet, give me time.

I'm reluctant to make tiles because i haven't read up on how that works and that requires some forethought on my part to consider. We're talking about several tiles worth not just four, there are three levels in the main body of the ship in a ring (or in this case: a square) that i'm not looking to write detailed tiles for. How it is written so far is how i want to make things go because it serves it's purpose just fine for now. I may want to do tiles, at some point in time, but that idea I really have to think about strongly about first before making that kind of commitment.

I think the paragraph regarding the stuff in the ship's kitchen could lead to a case of fridge logic. As-is, it's fine if it's just Steele on the ship (albeit portraying them as a bit lazy and/or slobbish, which some players (e.g. me) would disagree with), but the more crew members Steele's ship has, the less likely I think it is that the kitchen would be poorly stocked. Particularly if Yammi is one of those crew members, since she always has something cooking and can serve up food at any time.

You're missing the point of why there even was a fridge or a kitchen on the player's ship, it was a plot device to get the PC to set things on auto-pilot in order to grab something to eat to setup the encounter. If you were the pilot, you would never, EVER leave your seat in the middle of full throttle, flying through space to grab something to eat until you knew you were safe in some place that you could "park". Setting things on auto-pilot is something you would do if you were confident that you're relatively safe enough to do a short thing instead of waiting in your pilot seat all day until reaching your destination.

I'm not taking into account of EVERY. SINGLE. CREW. MEMBER. I just won't do it, putting the scene in was just something I thought would make sense given we don't read about any sort of kitchen in ANY scene within the game and be nice to include it. It's sparse because I can't assume too much about a player's choice in eating habits and have a little something for everyone, I could have written a whole scene on just them eating while observing the nebula they were passing through by a window but decided against it. As for your thoughts on the impression: that's not how i saw it. You're a busy individual on a quest to find probes to reclaim your inheritance and constantly moving around the universe, grabbing groceries is not something you do when you can just eat-out at the many locations with restaurants. You take what you need and be done with it while on the move, usually you do have a huge stockpile for long trips and have everything you need. But I've written an Activity for you to have a meal with the NPC to compensate for the lack of food.

I've written this encounter for those of us who play alone and have no crew first, every other detail will come second. I've only played the game to completion just a month ago and haven't discovered ALL the available crew members yet, nor have i figured out who has what job. I'm trying my best not to make too many assumptions and going the bare bones approach.

The paragraph about Steele readying their weapons is unnecessarily detailed and makes assumptions about their weapons that aren't necessarily true:

Here's the actual scene in question:

Grabbing your [PC.ranged] from the gunlocker, you disengage the locking mount and remove the battery, a few clips and a few combustion rounds, stuffing them into your pockets and various pouches. You walk over to your weapon display and arming yourself with your [PC.melee], a hand gliding over your [PC.melee] and lifting it and with a flourish you stow your weapon away and tight the belt holding it in place. You’re going to need it if things go sideways inside this ship, [If Pc has Clothes: {popping the collar of your [PC.Uppergarment] and a stride of your shoes making contact with the hull of your ship, walking toward the airlock cabin. / Else: You strut your stuff towards the airlock cabin.}

Steele's ranged weapon is some kind of gun with a magazine of bullets that requires cocking before being fired'. Steele can wield a much wider variety of ranged weapons than this, including various bows, a ship-grade fire extinguisher and a Captain America-style shield. Even among guns, many of them don't use bullets, instead using lasers, plasma bolts, arcs of electricity, corrosive substances, lust-inducing psionic beams or other, more exotic projectiles.

"...you disengage the locking mount and remove the battery, a few clips and a few combustion rounds, stuffing them into your pockets and various pouches."

This was to describe the variety of ammo types, combustion rounds (bullets), battery (laser), clips (misc). I thought it was a nice little detail from the standard: Grab [PC.range] & [PC.melee] format we're occasionally seeing all the time. I wanted to try something different and so i did, it doesn't look like it worked, so I guess i'll just stick to the regular format then.

Steele's melee weapon can be flourished'. This doesn't make sense for the heaviest melee weapons like the Saurmorian Hammer, or for more punchy-style weapons like the Predator Talons or Custom Shock Gear.

See previous answer.

Steele always has both a melee and a ranged weapon equipped at all times'. Steele can unequip either or both of their weapons at any time; while this may not be optimal, it can be made to work through certain playstyles.

I'm aware but again this suggestion is a bit too early for me to consider thinking about. This sort of thing is something you'll have to save for last when I do Editing which I've stated before that i do afterwards. I won't start editing until i have MAJORITY of the things written in, otherwise: writer's block.

Because of how varied Steele's weapons can be, when it comes to describing what they do with them, less is more; a simple "Readying your{pc is unarmed: "self" /else: " [pc.weapon]"}" should suffice.
The same paragraph also assumes that Steele's upper undergarment has a collar (which it probably doesn't considering that upper undergarments are usually bras or t-shirts) and that by wearing clothes, Steele is necessarily wearing shoes. What sort of shoes would be worn by a Steele whose lower body is that of a naga/lamia or a gooey, amorphous blob? I don't think even mentioning Steele's clothes is necessary or helpful here; just saying that they head towards the airlock is fine.

I figured as much, it was wishful thinking that i could add something a little more detailed to really spice it up a bit; break the mold! But that seems to be too much to ask for considering how too many variables makes that wishful thinking fly right out of the airlock!

... I'll just remove the whole block, rewrite it the standard formatted one sentence and be done with it. Unless you do something really stupid to earn yourself a Bad Ending, you're mostly not going to need then until exhausting all of your Talk options and triggering the pirate encounter.

The paragraph after that seems to be mostly irrelevant to the story being told. First, it says that Steele is unsettled by going through an airlock, which is something they should be used to by now and wouldn't find unsettling. Second, everything after that except for the last sentence feels more like a tangent to the story than anything that adds to it. I'm not convinced the paragraph needs to be there at all; any concerns Steele may have about boarding a potentially hazardous ship can be addressed when they're readying their weapons and going to the airlock.

That's because i haven't specified when the PC might be able to encounter this ship. You can encounter this ship in space as early as M'henga! This is a space encounter as opposed to a planet side one. If you're an early starter on the encounter and just left Tavros Station, this will be one of the first few encounters where they've probably had a few run-ins with pirates or mercenaries. If you're encountering this ship for the first time around Dhaal of course you're going to be used to it, but that unsettling feeling is always going to be there because: you're boarding a creepy ship, in the middle of remote space with no data on the nearest spaceport, you're the only ship on radar in a system you've never been to before, there is no safety net here: you encounter something bad out here it is game over. Which there will be 2 Bad Endings added to this, this is my way of saying "HEY!! Watch your ass! Possible Game Over!" to which i will have <><> to make that very clear at the end of that entry - i just haven't done so yet.

In conclusion, there's a LOT of assumptions being made here when not everything I've written is etched in stone yet and i'm still writing it. I ask that you wait patiently to see what i have in mind before jumping to conclusions and drawing parallels that aren't there. None of this is bad, don't misunderstand me, the weapons and clothing is something i didn't consider and changed it. The "tile" mapping idea was something i didn't consider until now and i do appreciate the suggestion because that does sound like it would be much easier to do. BUT, and this is a very big but (might wanna give it a slap, lol):

I don't know how to write tiles. What are the requirements? Are they something for every encounter or are they something that I have to do? Does the Staff do them or a Coder? What if they don't like the idea and want me to write a simple scene descriptions. These are questions that will drive me crazy and make me lose focus on what's really important: getting it done first, worry about it later. If i knew how they work, read up on a guide to doing them or how to format my encounter for that then i would do them. Too early to do, but not too early to consider while the iron is hot and i should really consider doing to make things easier. I just simply don't know how to do that yet: still learning.

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
Please let me know what you think of him and the content I'm writing.

In conclusion, there's a LOT of assumptions being made here when not everything I've written is etched in stone yet and i'm still writing it. I ask that you wait patiently to see what i have in mind before jumping to conclusions and drawing parallels that aren't there.

These two statements don't jive.

TheShepard256

You're missing the point of why there even was a fridge or a kitchen on the player's ship, it was a plot device to get the PC to set things on auto-pilot in order to grab something to eat to setup the encounter.
there is no safety net here: you encounter something bad out here it is game over. Which there will be 2 Bad Endings added to this, this is my way of saying "HEY!! Watch your ass! Possible Game Over!" to which i will have <><> to make that very clear at the end of that entry - i just haven't done so yet.
Ah, I didn't really consider things from those perspectives. Never mind, then.
This was to describe the variety of ammo types, combustion rounds (bullets), battery (laser), clips (misc). I thought it was a nice little detail from the standard: Grab [PC.range] & [PC.melee] format we're occasionally seeing all the time. I wanted to try something different and so i did, it doesn't look like it worked, so I guess i'll just stick to the regular format then.
Now that I know why you did it, I appreciate the effort. If you still want to go down that route, I'd recommend having different blurbs depending on the weapon's flags and/or damage type(s) (e.g. grabbing a few spare magazines if ranged weapon has the Bullet flag, or a quiver of arrows if it's a Bow), though given your stated approach to writing this I'd understand if that happens later rather than sooner.
I'm reluctant to make tiles because i haven't read up on how that works and that requires some forethought on my part to consider. We're talking about several tiles worth not just four, there are three levels in the main body of the ship in a ring (or in this case: a square) that i'm not looking to write detailed tiles for.
I don't know how to write tiles. What are the requirements? Are they something for every encounter or are they something that I have to do? Does the Staff do them or a Coder? What if they don't like the idea and want me to write a simple scene descriptions.
If you're going to make a map, you don't need to make it for the entire ship, just the parts Steele can walk through during regular gameplay. I think the only things you need to include for each room are its description, which other room(s) it connects to, any events that can or will occur upon moving to that room (e.g. random encounters, NPCs, story events) and any flags that might apply (e.g. hazardous, stairs, objective, merchant), with maybe a mock-up of the layout for ease of visualising, and the coder(s) will take care of the rest.

Grimoire

Jun 15, 2018
Florida
www.patreon.com
These two statements don't jive.
On the contrary, Paradox, this isn't a finished product and i haven't written in the pathing for interactions, yet, I haven't so much as made statements of them being in the document because i'm not sure what is it i want to put in. I'm not being dismissive, if it sounds like i am, i apologize, I'm just not sure how to address certain suggestions. The assumption that the player doesn't have any choice in what to do is what i'm referring to when i made that statement as opposed to my first quote, that's not the case at all. The player will have choices, what those choices are, i don't know yet, but it's not me forcing the interaction at all and more me moving it down the list of priorities of things to do that will make more sense later. A placeholder.

Last edited:

Grimoire

Jun 15, 2018
Florida
www.patreon.com
Ah, I didn't really consider things from those perspectives. Never mind, then.

Now that I know why you did it, I appreciate the effort. If you still want to go down that route, I'd recommend having different blurbs depending on the weapon's flags and/or damage type(s) (e.g. grabbing a few spare magazines if ranged weapon has the Bullet flag, or a quiver of arrows if it's a Bow), though given your stated approach to writing this I'd understand if that happens later rather than sooner.

If you're going to make a map, you don't need to make it for the entire ship, just the parts Steele can walk through during regular gameplay. I think the only things you need to include for each room are its description, which other room(s) it connects to, any events that can or will occur upon moving to that room (e.g. random encounters, NPCs, story events) and any flags that might apply (e.g. hazardous, stairs, objective, merchant), with maybe a mock-up of the layout for ease of visualising, and the coder(s) will take care of the rest.

Hmmm, that's not a bad idea, actually. That actually might work out better than i thought because i do wanna do something special with the setup but doing it is a bit of a problem given that i don't know how to write it out in a format that sounds like it would work. I may experiment with that idea later on and appreciate the idea that went into it, i may do that.

The tiles for it would be the Airlock, a single tile to the Left and one tile Right: making it three tiles for the entrances. But in the case of the open spacious room where you meet the NPCs, that's where it gets complicated. It would be a 3 by 3 grid if my thinking is correct or 3 by 4 if i include the Stairs tile to reach the upper levels. So by that logic, that single space of the ship can be 20 tiles tall.

1st floor will have 10 tiles, 2nd level has 8, with the 3rd level having just one tile next to Stairs tile to save space: 2. Bringing the full total of all the available tiles of the Masquerade to 23 Map Tiles, that's an awful lot to consider because their descriptions would be big because i really like to add details and not be stingy on the description, it's my project so i like to be as thorough as i can.

Last edited:

Grimoire

Jun 15, 2018
Florida
www.patreon.com
[Project Update]
This is my first log for my project, since i began this project it was sitting at around 10K as I posted it with barebones formatting and very little editing work. Today I just completed the Talk Options clocking the total word count for the entire project at 37,106 with 12,000 having been included just over night as I'm posting this which is one of my highest record breaking session ever. 6k words has always been my maximum amount I could ever squeeze out into a single session from afternoon to the early morning of the following day, that's mind-blowing to me so a pat on the back for me. Whether I did a good job of it, we'll just have to see about it in editing stages.

The Talk Options have their unlocks and prerequisites some may recognize from certain characters that open up one by one after selecting the two or three options to open the rest. I went with this idea for flow control and chronological order, obviously they're repeatable if someone skims over it and misses something: they can return to later with no consequences. Once you selected and read All the Talk Options in the menu itself: Romance becomes available to the PC at the main menu when speaking to Nyarlath. The prerequisite for Romancing him is having clothes. Yes, that's right, I'm going to make you people wear Uppergarments to cover yourselves up for a date because I'm not writing the many variants for that hot mess for people who walk around naked or wearing only panties and bras. Don't like that decision, don't date him.

I'm still working out the Dinner scene for The Return Part 2 one-shot scenario. I'm thinking a fancy vegetarian feast style given that Nyarlath has his own garden to harvest crops in the other section of his ship and the lack of regular supply of meat. Once that one-shot is done, I'll be finishing The Return Part 1's [Partake?] option because that has been on the back burner for awhile now and figure why not add that to my next list of tasks to do since I'm working on the second.

Once the two One-Shots are done, I'll be moving onto the Dates of the Romance tree. If anyone has any ideas on what their ideal date would be for a romantic evening please comment them in a post made here and NOT on the Google Document. I will review what I think will work and add them accordingly if not all of it.

Editing and the people who contributed to the process: Thank You!
I just wanted you to know I very much appreciated it, if it looks like i rejected your suggestion I didn't mean to. I didn't know clicking the checkmark on your comment meant making the change directly to the document, being the klutz that I am, ended up deleting and rewriting the things in and deleting the comment or marking them as "rejected". I made sure to answer them and made the corrections so please don't think I was dismissing your efforts! If you find something please continue to do the good job and know that i appreciate your efforts.

I'm still a long way from writing the sex scenes themselves, if you follow along my Index to the right of my document with their links across the thing, I'm working my way down the line and trying my best to make it all connect and flow accordingly. At the pace I'm going, I should have something more substantial that can be appetizing for sex within a month or two if there aren't delays. Fingers crossed.

So the next big thing is making sure I have everything setup the way it needs to be for the possibility of Male, Herm, and Female characters giving birth to a hybrid child of them and Nyarlath.

- Male was by far the most complicated version because I had to account same-sex physiology and preference about male impregnation and who would be the one doing the actual bearing. I went with the Nyraen route in order for the PC or Nyarlath to wield a egg-laying cock and the one getting the eggs is also milked to inseminate themselves with it to allow fertilization. If it works, it works. Hope someone out there appreciated the thought of me trying my hand at attempting that option without forcing either character to take a vagina making TF to compensate. Whether someone wants the modified Nyrea TF after handing Nyarlath a single unit of Nyrean Rock Candy is up to them, all that does is grant you a Nyrean cock and granted the "ovipositor" flag for the sake of the impregnation - there are no other side effects.

- Herm is a little longer to explain in the document, but it barrels down to: does the PC wanting to be the mother or Nyarlath. As preference goes, the NPC will want the Herm version of the PC to accept the childbearing role regardless of masculinity and femininity score. I leave room at the end to allow the possibility of me writing the option for Nyarlath adding a pussy to accommodate as some point. But because of Nyarlath's backstory regarding the reluctance of modifying, changing genders for Nyarlath fully is a big no for the time being until I do an expansion quest the delves into that and try adding the option it in later.

- Female is the primary focus for my character because Nyarlath is Gynephilic (favors female or feminine characteristics, which should be fun for those of you who play transsexuals) and there's very little doubt in where that path will lead, but for those who do not like impregnation content, the NPC is already on record stating they're happy if that isn't an option.

I hope I covered my basis here and didn't leave anything out. Please post your comments if you see anything that stands out to you.

TheShepard256

I think I've spotted a plot hole: Nyarlath says his last consultation with a patient was nearly 20 years ago, while he also says that he's had patients who adventured to Rush worlds like Mhen'ga. The Planet Rush only officially started a few months prior to the tutorial, and most Warp Gates to Rush Space 14 only opened after that; while I can believe that a handful of Gates were open for a few years before then (considering that Kaede visited both Tarkus and the Ara Ara system in short stories set a year or two prior to the events of TiTS), I'm pretty sure none of them would've been open around the time of Steele's conception/infancy.

Two things from the Careers scene:
1. The part where Steele recommends poplin as a mask material seems like it would only be appropriate for high Intelligence Steeles; I doubt a low Intelligence Steele would even know what poplin is (I didn't before now, and I'm definitely not of low intelligence), let alone be capable of memorising its properties.
2. The part where Steele tells of their early life possibly contradicts a similar scene Steele can have with another NPC. I say 'possibly' because it varies depending on their personality; it's pretty similar for a Hard Steele:
Hard variation said:
“My parents were often busy and we didn’t get too much time to spend together.” You start, folding your arms. “I focused on my education and growth and they were there when they could be. We came together on the holidays and for their vacations but I preferred to be out in the unknown.”
“I appreciate them for everything,” you say, not wanting to dig up the memories. After all, your father put you on this task without giving you much of a choice, and he had to up and die on top of it. Regardless, he still gave you the means to survive, and to make your way where so many others can’t. “Without them, I wouldn’t have been competent or equipped enough to take on the galaxy. I’ll find my own way as I always have. If there’s one thing I can do, it’ll be making sure my uncle doesn’t claim what’s not his.”
but rather different for the other two personalities:
Mischievous variation said:
You and Victor were close in your earliest years. In a way, you’re the spitting image of the man. He passed on his attitude, that’s for sure!

“Dad was a real scoundrel, and somewhere along the line I felt it was a challenge between me and him who could be the bigger nuisance.” You laugh joyfully. “He would come to school sometimes and hit on the staff before being escorted out. One time he even took over the class for a bit when one swooned too hard!”
Your mother was always there to temper your behavior if things got out of hand, but you stuck with Victor exclusively. He would play a couple light-hearted pranks on his employees for your benefit, show you the best way to get a girl’s number and lose it all at once, and, of course, how to sharpen your wit when it mattered most.
“I miss him, and I miss mom too. But I won’t let either of them down.”
Kind variation said:
“I spent a lot of time with dad, but my mother still helped shape the way I interact with others.” You say,
“Yeah. My dad was either working or helping me with my education. But when my mother was around, she had a way of making me forget what I was doing. I don’t know where she is now, but I’m sure dad had her taken care of,” ... “They were wonderful to me, and despite how I was raised, their guidance led me to treat everyone I care about like a member of the family too. Especially dad... he just had this way with everyone.”
“When he talked to others, when he gave instructions... he never sounded like the boss, but a friend. Every time I saw him he’d give me a pat on the back or a kiss on the head, telling me that making friends and treating others with respect would always pay off. Seeing what he’s left for me to earn, I know how right he was.”
Also, if anyone was Steele's nanny it'd be Briget, the nurse-droid running the Steele Tech nursery on Tavros. Since she's a figure from Steele's childhood, it'd be safe to mention her by name even if they don't know she's at the nursery.

Another thing: the impression I got from the Hobbies scene was that commercially-available gene modding and transformatives are recent enough things that even as recently as Nyarlath's young adulthood, there was still a large group of people who were concerned about them being unethical, unsafe and/or impractical. The impression I get from the rest of the game is that gene modding and TFs in general have essentially been perfected and the only even remotely major group that opposes them is the Church of the One God.

Yet more things, this time on the subject of reproduction:
Male version: Steele does not necessarily know that much about nyrean reproduction by this point, especially if they've never even been to Myrellion. I think it'd be best if that part of the conversation (and any male-male pregnancy that could result) is gated behind having read the nyrean Codex entry, and if they haven't, they can both be at a loss as to what they should do until the conversation is repeated after reading that entry.
This version also pretty much outright states that a male Steele is unwilling to change their sex, even though it's entirely up to the player's discretion as to whether or not that's true. (Also, Steele can have a cock and no balls.)
Herm version: I've nothing to say here.
Female version: Nyarlath's mention of his gynephilia makes me think you're assuming a female Steele is automatically feminine. A female Steele can actually have "a somewhat masculine, angular jawline" for their (or, more likely, his) facial appearance and be completely masculine in every other sense (except genital configuration, if that counts).
Neuter/sexless version: completely absent. I'd understand if that slipped your mind when you wrote this (can't exactly make babies without genitals, after all), but since there's a version for every other genital configuration, lacking this version would seem a bit out of place in the final product.
All versions: it's possible for Steele to take the Infertile perk during character creation, rendering them completely incapable of reproducing naturally (though I've heard that the Synth-Womb cybernetic mod can override that). Also, unless Steele's crotch is exposed at the time, how does Nyarlath know what their genital configuration is?

If I've misunderstood anything again (and I probably have, especially on the Hobbies bit), please correct me.

Reactions: Emerald

Grimoire

Jun 15, 2018
Florida
www.patreon.com
I think I've spotted a plot hole: Nyarlath says his last consultation with a patient was nearly 20 years ago, while he also says that he's had patients who adventured to Rush worlds like Mhen'ga. The Planet Rush only officially started a few months prior to the tutorial, and most Warp Gates to Rush Space 14 only opened after that; while I can believe that a handful of Gates were open for a few years before then (considering that Kaede visited both Tarkus and the Ara Ara system in short stories set a year or two prior to the events of TiTS), I'm pretty sure none of them would've been open around the time of Steele's conception/infancy.

Opps. I should have pointed out that his 20 year gap reference is about his last official patient from his time on Earth, back when he had a clinic and that's when he got his ship. I'll probably change it to him not having hardback copy of his records for patients he had made contact with when he arrived at the start of the Planet Rush, the drifting part is a recent event when he arrived at the Rush.

Two things from the Careers scene:
1. The part where Steele recommends poplin as a mask material seems like it would only be appropriate for high Intelligence Steeles; I doubt a low Intelligence Steele would even know what poplin is (I didn't before now, and I'm definitely not of low intelligence), let alone be capable of memorizing its properties.

I would assume most people read the labels of clothing to figure out what material their clothes are made of. I imagined some distant future that some difficult materials such as Poplin and nano filaments would be common place that they could be used commercially.

2. The part where Steele tells of their early life possibly contradicts a similar scene Steele can have with another NPC. I say 'possibly' because it varies depending on their personality; it's pretty similar for a Hard Steele:

What NPC are you referring to for your points of reference? If the NPC in question was made by a member of the Staff that works on TITS then I can make the change. If the NPC in question wasn't, there is no way of me knowing that at all because there isn't a dedicate page for personalities that touch on history on the wiki. I cannot account for backstories written by other writers for a version of their Steeles, I'm going out on a limb by making that entry for the sake of idle conversation that touches all personalities AND career paths which may or may not work. Until i know for sure what is canonical, this issue of backstory via personality (or career path) will stay for the duration.

That's something i didn't think about: If a Non-Staff writer makes backstory assumptions, and it becomes in-game, does that mean it's canon? Just a thought I had.

Also, if anyone was Steele's nanny it'd be Briget, the nurse-droid running the Steele Tech nursery on Tavros. Since she's a figure from Steele's childhood, it'd be safe to mention her by name even if they don't know she's at the nursery.

Good point, I made the easy change in the document.

Another thing: the impression I got from the Hobbies scene was that commercially-available gene modding and transformatives are recent enough things that even as recently as Nyarlath's young adulthood, there was still a large group of people who were concerned about them being unethical, unsafe and/or impractical. The impression I get from the rest of the game is that gene modding and TFs in general have essentially been perfected and the only even remotely major group that opposes them is the Church of the One God.

You're probably right given the timeline, I'll do a rewrite to make that section happen after the fact and opposition occurs during a resurgence of rampant medical cases of some companies making certain TFs and Mods. After reading it myself, it does seem to imply that Nyarlath was there which can mean he is 500 years old if I'm reading the Planet Rush wiki correctly. There isn't a lore regarding when TFs were first made and by whom, at least nothing that I have found anyway on the Wiki which is why it sounds like TFs were something recently made in the 13th Planet Rush (which states UGC opens warp gates every 100 to 200 years)

Male version: Steele does not necessarily know that much about nyrean reproduction by this point, especially if they've never even been to Myrellion. I think it'd be best if that part of the conversation (and any male-male pregnancy that could result) is gated behind having read the nyrean Codex entry, and if they haven't, they can both be at a loss as to what they should do until the conversation is repeated after reading that entry.
This version also pretty much outright states that a male Steele is unwilling to change their sex, even though it's entirely up to the player's discretion as to whether or not that's true. (Also, Steele can have a cock and no balls.)

Nyarlath is the one who suggested Nyrean pregnancy after hearing Steele mention "Eggs", Nyarlath is a Rusher despite his circumstance and has been to planets and stations in the rush before his self-imposed exile into drifting through space. Steele doesn't necessarily have to know about Nyrean pregnancy if Nyarlath knows about it and explains it to them.

As for the outright statement of reluctance to change genders for the Male. Think of it like this:

If players are Male and want to have children with Nyarlath, they would take something for that change and by definition be considered Hermaphrodites. This option of Male Pregnancy is for those homosexual players that want to remain largely themselves and may have a little modification to allow a pregnancy to happen on their terms. At the same time, if the players want to make the necessary change in their sex to include a pussy, then I already have a scene written for them under Herm as an umbrella option so it doesn't exclude them from the conversation. If not, then I will present the option to allow the PC to accept the Nyrean TF and wield the egg-laying cock to allow them to have the option of pregnancy.

Herm version: I've nothing to say here.

Good, I was hoping that was more airtight for what I had in mind.

Female version: Nyarlath's mention of his gynephilia makes me think you're assuming a female Steele is automatically feminine. A female Steele can actually have "a somewhat masculine, angular jawline" for their (or, more likely, his) facial appearance and be completely masculine in every other sense (except genital configuration, if that counts).

You misunderstand what Gynephilia is, it's the sexual attraction to female and feminine characteristics, in this case based on femininity score.
{If PC has a percentage of Masculinity Score than Femininity Score = Male}
{If PC has a percentage of Femininity Score than Masculinity Score = Female}
{There isn't a condition for 50-50% and you either are one side or the other of the spectrum even if it's by 1 point
{If PC has a cock and/or balls = Male}
{If PC has a pussy = Female}
{If PC has a pussy, cock and/or balls = Herm}

These are the conditions for whatever scene (Male, Herm, Female) players unlock and they should trigger if they meet the requirements and those scenes give an explanation on how things will work in the event the option for impregnation and insemination is needed for pregnancy content. The [Relationship] option is repeatable because it is considered my version of a "checklist" and to give players an scene to show where their PCs fall on the spectrum and figure out what conditions they would need to make said content work. So if and when the option to have a pregnancy is added: All I have to do is add the condition:
{If PC has done Relationship and met prerequisites "Male" (Herm, Female) = Scene A, B, C or D.}
The Scenes have less guesswork and multiple sex conditions because that was organized when PCs are categorized through the Relationship option (which i make mandatory to read) defining them based on their Scores and Genitalia. Also when I write sex scenes, I also have something else use as a backup plan if I feel particularly lazy and don't want to accommodate every single detail.

Neuter/sexless version: completely absent. I'd understand if that slipped your mind when you wrote this (can't exactly make babies without genitals, after all), but since there's a version for every other genital configuration, lacking this version would seem a bit out of place in the final product.
All versions: it's possible for Steele to take the Infertile perk during character creation, rendering them completely incapable of reproducing naturally (though I've heard that the Synth-Womb cybernetic mod can override that). Also, unless Steele's crotch is exposed at the time, how does Nyarlath know what their genital configuration is?

Oh it didn't slip my mind, I just don't know how to write it without being too abrasive about PC (and player) feelings. It's very big defining factor on Nyarlath's conception of a fruitful, long term relationship to have the ability to have children (and passing on his legacy). So if the PC is neutered/sexless/sterile, the first thing that will come to my mind when I'm going to write this is: how badly do I want to crush Nyarlath's hopes and dreams? This was already a deal-breaker for any kind of intimate relationship and severely limit certain aspects of sex scenes available to them. I haven't figured out how to address this issue.

If you're worried that I don't have something for sexless, neutered and sterile: FEAR NOT!

Just like I stated in the document when speaking to a Hermaphrodite: "If you don’t want to, I’m perfectly okay with us never having that opportunity, we may just have to think about that in the future when you’re ready. Who knows, maybe I might change my mind (about sex change for pregnancy) when I feel that we’re committed to the relationship.” This implies that Nyarlath is content with having a sexless/neutered/sterile PC in a relationship which was intentional. These PCs will have their own route and path that doesn't involve pregnancy at all. There are players who don't want that content so there will be an option in the main menu labelled [Pregnancy] which I will add later once I've written sex scenes that will unlock the possibility and gate it off from the rest of my content. That way, the relationship can proceed as according to plan without players feeling pressured into pregnant content when having sex.

If I've misunderstood anything again (and I probably have, especially on the Hobbies bit), please correct me.

Thank you for your diligence, Shepard, you brought up a lot of great points that I've already made note in my document to address those issues at a later date.

TheShepard256

What NPC are you referring to for your points of reference? If the NPC in question was made by a member of the Staff that works on TITS then I can make the change. If the NPC in question wasn't, there is no way of me knowing that at all because there isn't a dedicate page for personalities that touch on history on the wiki. I cannot account for backstories written by other writers for a version of their Steeles, I'm going out on a limb by making that entry for the sake of idle conversation that touches all personalities AND career paths which may or may not work. Until i know for sure what is canonical, this issue of backstory via personality (or career path) will stay for the duration.
Bianca Ketria. She's written by William, who is a major contributor to the game though not one of the bosses like Fenoxo or Savin.
That's something i didn't think about: If a Non-Staff writer makes backstory assumptions, and it becomes in-game, does that mean it's canon? Just a thought I had.
I'd assume so, since everything is reviewed by one of the staff members before implementation.
Nyarlath is the one who suggested Nyrean pregnancy after hearing Steele mention "Eggs", Nyarlath is a Rusher despite his circumstance and has been to planets and stations in the rush before his self-imposed exile into drifting through space. Steele doesn't necessarily have to know about Nyrean pregnancy if Nyarlath knows about it and explains it to them.
Good point. Also, I forgot to mention an alternative to nyrea-like pregnancy: vulkrimi pregnancy.
Vulkrimi Codex entry said:
The same virus that erased the females also transformed the tails of the males, changing the glands that they used to produce poison into producing a powerful virus. This virus can create a fertile pseudo-womb if injected in a large and wet enough orifice of any race, which a male can then impregnate. This is the only natural way for vulkrimi to produce more pure members of their race, but it doesn’t require any of their DNA to produce a viable child. After injection, any male of any race can fertilize the temporary womb and many sterile or homosexual couples ask their vulkrim friends to help them bear children with their virus.

This pseudo-womb is extremely fertile and tough, making it almost always guaranteed to bear the child to term upon insemination. These pregnancies usually last seven to eight months and it’s always live birth, even if the mother comes from an egg laying species. After the pregnancy or if not impregnated within one week of injection the pseudo-womb will deteriorate on its own.
I take this to mean that the child's genetic parent would be the sire and the one who got pregnant, which would make it ideal for this purpose. The only problem I see is actually getting enough of the virus to work in the first place, whether that be from a vulkrim directly or from some mod or pharmaceutical based off their biology.
You misunderstand what Gynephilia is, it's the sexual attraction to female and feminine characteristics, in this case based on femininity score.
{If PC has a percentage of Masculinity Score than Femininity Score = Male}
{If PC has a percentage of Femininity Score than Masculinity Score = Female}
{There isn't a condition for 50-50% and you either are one side or the other of the spectrum even if it's by 1 point
{If PC has a cock and/or balls = Male}
{If PC has a pussy = Female}
{If PC has a pussy, cock and/or balls = Herm}
I think the confusion here stems from using the term 'male' to refer to both the biological sex (i.e. cock & no pussy) and masculine-looking individuals regardless of sex, and similarly for 'female'. In the context of the scene in question, I'm not sure if by 'female' you mean 'pussy and no cock/balls' or 'looks feminine'; the context of the scene suggests the former, but his mention of gynephilia suggests the latter, which does not necessarily follow from the former. That's why I brought it up.

Reactions: Grimoire

Grimoire

Jun 15, 2018
Florida
www.patreon.com
Bianca Ketria. She's written by William, who is a major contributor to the game though not one of the bosses like Fenoxo or Savin.

I'd assume so, since everything is reviewed by one of the staff members before implementation.

I'll just alter them slightly just in case, it may not be perfect but it will have to suffice for chit-chat without being to acute with the issue.

Good point. Also, I forgot to mention an alternative to nyrea-like pregnancy: vulkrimi pregnancy.

I'll stick to the Nyrean method, mainly selfish reasons and i did enough of the research to think it will work.

I take this to mean that the child's genetic parent would be the sire and the one who got pregnant, which would make it ideal for this purpose. The only problem I see is actually getting enough of the virus to work in the first place, whether that be from a vulkrim directly or from some mod or pharmaceutical based off their biology.

The virus seems a bit crude and i don't have a wiki page to work with that one since this is the first I'm hearing about this. That wiki site really needs an update badly.

I think the confusion here stems from using the term 'male' to refer to both the biological sex (i.e. cock & no pussy) and masculine-looking individuals regardless of sex, and similarly for 'female'. In the context of the scene in question, I'm not sure if by 'female' you mean 'pussy and no cock/balls' or 'looks feminine'; the context of the scene suggests the former, but his mention of gynephilia suggests the latter, which does not necessarily follow from the former. That's why I brought it up.

I'm going to simplify this condition more and change out the dialogue to be more direct. I'm removing my original plan of allowing the transexual side of my thought process and work with the big three genders. I used gynephilia to avoid controversy and exclusion of genders of why my NPC has a feminine preference without dismissing other potential partners. That whole section is a complicated mess that needs to be shrunken down and compartmentalized to fulfill their basic function: pregnancy.
- Male Preg gets the Nyrean option: Nyarlath will be the egg feeder and stuff the PC
- Herms will sire or bear if they choose to do so: Nyarlath will have the option to be either based on PC choice.
- Females are "standard" pregnancy blurbs:Nyarlath can be top or bottom for those scene
- Genderless/Sterile PCs won't be able to select Pregnancy until they have the function parts and meet prerequisites but will still be able to have sex and the relationship between Nyarlath and them will continue as normal despite the conditions.
- All will need functioning parts to participate and selected [Pregnancy] option to open up the scenes that allow it to happen.
- I'm locking out Goo bodies, Naga bodies and Taur bodies for my sanity sake. I might change my mind about Naga bodies but for now: bipedal races with solidarity.

There's a lot more work i need to consider if i'm going to do the sex scenes so bear with me if they seem clunky at first and have to do exclusive versions for each solely for particular conditions. If i did a single Anal Scene with all three genders, the conditions in my writing will be hard for me to read, having three full versions made for one scene works in my favor that way I can copy and paste what conditions a parser may call for. I know i said i would try the writing for trans characters but its a bit complicated for me to do so given the conditions I would have to work with.

If anyone has a better method of implementing those sort of conditions leave the suggestion below