[WIP] Eastern Terran Relic

Magnolia

Apr 7, 2019
Hello, everyone. It is with great unease that I make this forum post, however, even after reading each guideline, I feel as though I lack even a general sense for this. I'm creating an Item that I was surprised to not see in the game. If anyone could be so kind as to offer feedback, I'd greatly appreciate it. So far, I've an outline, and a general description. (I was practicing the proper formatting, so it will look weird.)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1otIQcPVFWGDGG6-KVy7qjXrXucqk9_2RIrqOf49LSJs/edit?usp=drivesdk

I don't intend nor expect this to be even 1% correct. Any feedback or guidance in the proper direction is what I seek.

Update: I'm taking time to better work on how Takeuchi sounds, so there won't be much forward progress.

Last edited:

runingman69

Nov 24, 2018
canuck land.
So the idea is decent. The weapon is more fantasy than scifi in my opinion, but it seems a tad out of place.
This weapon requires a trained hand, keen eye, honed body, and sharp mind to effectively use, seeming sharp enough to make accidents longer lasting than possibly imagined.
Why does this weapon need such skill? Steele can wield most weapons with little training to no training cause of there upbringing. The few they can't is simply due too being complex or too heavy. The folded steel in the doc sounds a lot like Damascus steel. While a decent steel type if this is a relic it best be extremely well preserved! This time period is several thousand years from our current time mind you. I also don't see it cutting through high tech armor.

So what could be done to improve its stats? What would make it be better for scifi. Simple alien origins. Why have it from earth when you could get it as a alien sword! For its extremely high stats it would seem more fitting to be a fallen empire or precursor civilizations weapon.

Magnolia

Apr 7, 2019
So the idea is decent. The weapon is more fantasy than scifi in my opinion, but it seems a tad out of place.

Why does this weapon need such skill? Steele can wield most weapons with little training to no training cause of there upbringing. The few they can't is simply due too being complex or too heavy. The folded steel in the doc sounds a lot like Damascus steel. While a decent steel type if this is a relic it best be extremely well preserved! This time period is several thousand years from our current time mind you. I also don't see it cutting through high tech armor.

So what could be done to improve its stats? What would make it be better for scifi. Simple alien origins. Why have it from earth when you could get it as a alien sword! For its extremely high stats it would seem more fitting to be a fallen empire or precursor civilizations weapon.

First off, thank you ever so much for replying~

To address your first point, I felt it to be fitting to have an older weapon/item show up on Tarkus, as it isn't the only human minted object to arrive there, mostly if you account for the Nova. I've been making edits to it's lore and plan to flesh out its existence much more.

As for it's preservation, there will be a scene upon obtaining the weapon that shall shed light on the reason it survived, the same going for why it needs such high stats. Though, I'll likely tweak the stats on both, the weapon, and it's requirements.

As for advanced variants, or alien adaptations, you'll have to wait and see~

Last edited:

Magnolia

Apr 7, 2019
Ah. I'll just clarify. Damascus steel isn't truly a type of steel used in Ancient Japan. It's a modern metal used for its colour, but it is mostly used by different Smiths to create a blade that looks good. That said, its appearance can be faked.

The blade in my project will be a modified Neo-Tamahagane.

Zavos

May 7, 2016
To clarify: the metal used in historical Katanas was created using techniques parallel to those in Damascus steel, but unique. Steel in japan was inferior, these techniques raised the relative quality of the metalwork to something more comparable to western metalwork.

(Also, i'm fairly certain that Anno fabricates her merchandise with a 3d printer. She doesn't keep stock on hand, just materials)

Reactions: Evil and Kesil

_Swish

Apr 17, 2019
Hm. This seems like an excuse for blatant weebshit, but then again, I'm writing a character who wields what's basically a katana.

I'll reserve judgement until it takes more of a defined shape.

Zavos

May 7, 2016
Also @Sky has been writing a weebshit shop, which hopefully should get some polish and submission fairly soon... Relatively, at least.

Magnolia

Apr 7, 2019
To clarify: the metal used in historical Katanas was created using techniques parallel to those in Damascus steel, but unique. Steel in japan was inferior, these techniques raised the relative quality of the metalwork to something more comparable to western metalwork.

(Also, i'm fairly certain that Anno fabricates her merchandise with a 3d printer. She doesn't keep stock on hand, just materials)

That was a comparison made after Japanese Smiths had seen Damascus for themselves. Vice versa for a European metalworker. The earlier Katana was forged much like it's predeccessor, using "layered" steel working or the Kobuse method. The pattern of Damascus steel was much more recent in Japanese metal working.

Magnolia

Apr 7, 2019
Hm. This seems like an excuse for blatant weebshit, but then again, I'm writing a character who wields what's basically a katana.

I'll reserve judgement until it takes more of a defined shape.

I was thinking, since the game lack a weapon like this, it could use a bit of my homeland touch. However, I work full time, and don't write often, so the structure will have a very slow build. I'm still learning the TiTS format.

SoAndSo

Scientist
Creator
Mar 26, 2017
Problems

Anachronistic: most bladed weapons in TiTS are essentially holographic blades because barely-advanced metalwork VS energy shields and sci-fi future armour pushes too much on suspension of disbelief.

Way too OP: items of that level don't show up until you reach Zheng Shi. Even then, it's too strong i.e. ignores shields. Would be rejected for that alone tbh.

Shoehorn: seems more like an excuse to just have a generic katana in the game. You really, really have to make it fit the TiTS theme and to the event the player obtains it from. As someone who has put in the mandatory weebsword in the game (https://wiki.smutosaur.us/TiTS/Dancing_Flashblade), I put it behind two beefy, mid-high level quests, a bunch of sex content for an obscure NPC and it's still technically weaker than your idea. This is despite its status as one of the current strongest most powerful melee weapons.

No context for its existence: having a small blurb for Anno isn't really enough, this item (even if properly balanced) is way too strong for it to just be sitting there in Anno's shop and way too strong for that quest level. All strong/unique weapons need at least a chunky quest or even a quest chain to unlock, see: Chaurmine, Akane, KaraQuest, most of the Zheng Shi weapons.

Your writing: your syntax and prose need work, you overuse -ing words for your prose and your dialogue/speech punctuation is all wrong (never use a capital after a closed speech mark with a comma, should use ~"thing," she said~). The actual setup for the weapon just showing up in Anno's shop is contrived and further disconnects the point of the weapon from the game.

Suggestion

Rethink this from the ground up. The weapon doesn't have a good reason for being where it is, it's way too strong for the stage in the game you can buy it at and it doesn't fit the games tone in its current state.

Personally I think that this needs a serious nerf to its stats (remove the Accuracy, or both Crit/Evasion, always remove the 'ignores shields' thing), a fitting place to be acquired (like a tough NPC's side quest or something, which would probably mean writing a new NPC) and a complete redesign of its description.

Magnolia

Apr 7, 2019
Problems

Anachronistic: most bladed weapons in TiTS are essentially holographic blades because barely-advanced metalwork VS energy shields and sci-fi future armour pushes too much on suspension of disbelief.

Way too OP: items of that level don't show up until you reach Zheng Shi. Even then, it's too strong i.e. ignores shields. Would be rejected for that alone tbh.

Shoehorn: seems more like an excuse to just have a generic katana in the game. You really, really have to make it fit the TiTS theme and to the event the player obtains it from. As someone who has put in the mandatory weebsword in the game (https://wiki.smutosaur.us/TiTS/Dancing_Flashblade), I put it behind two beefy, mid-high level quests, a bunch of sex content for an obscure NPC and it's still technically weaker than your idea. This is despite its status as one of the current strongest most powerful melee weapons.

No context for its existence: having a small blurb for Anno isn't really enough, this item (even if properly balanced) is way too strong for it to just be sitting there in Anno's shop and way too strong for that quest level. All strong/unique weapons need at least a chunky quest or even a quest chain to unlock, see: Chaurmine, Akane, KaraQuest, most of the Zheng Shi weapons.

Your writing: your syntax and prose need work, you overuse -ing words for your prose and your dialogue/speech punctuation is all wrong (never use a capital after a closed speech mark with a comma, should use ~"thing," she said~). The actual setup for the weapon just showing up in Anno's shop is contrived and further disconnects the point of the weapon from the game.

Suggestion

Rethink this from the ground up. The weapon doesn't have a good reason for being where it is, it's way too strong for the stage in the game you can buy it at and it doesn't fit the games tone in its current state.

Personally I think that this needs a serious nerf to its stats (remove the Accuracy, or both Crit/Evasion, always remove the 'ignores shields' thing), a fitting place to be acquired (like a tough NPC's side quest or something, which would probably mean writing a new NPC) and a complete redesign of its description.

Thank you for your feedback. I definitely thought the "ignore shields" was a little much, but like it's entire composition, I was going to work it into its lore. Obvious text errors and formatting aside, I have only recently started on its story, and have been a bit swamped at work (I basically get home around 12am, then have to be back up at around 8am) so I haven't had much time to get into writing more of its story and quest line. It most certainly isn't going to be a generic Katana just for the sake of being a Katana, as I wouldn't just toss it in and expect that to work. I don't really want to give out every detail for the quest - As suspense and mystery are a big plot device for the rhyme and reason, as well as the larger story surrounding it - but I can definitely highlight some key points to clear up any confusion.

• There is a questline the advances over a period of time after obtaining the weapon. It isn't immediately usable, regardless of level.
  • The stats will be constantly tweaked.
  • There is a special reason why it appears on Tarkus. There are plenty of primitive weapons in the game, as well as advanced, and this mirrors both. But that's a clue of the story.
  • The story will contain searching for information about the weapon. I definitely need to practice the coding language, however before I can fully say where and when.
Anywho, thank you again for your feedback. This is all subject to change, but if you've any more, I'd like to hear it. Also, some of my English might sound weird. I'm Japanese, and I make mistakes, sometimes. I looked over your weapon, and it sounds like a futuristic Ninjato. Very cool. However, this will be rather different. Also, just as a personal request, could you please not call it the weebstick or weebsword? I've been a swordsman(woman?) all my life, so I have a deep respect for the weapon I live by. It just feels grating to me to see it refered to, like that. I don't mean any offense by asking that, though.

(I should also add, I have never made it to Zeng Shi. My first game was deleted when I got a new phone, and my current game seems as if it cannot progress.)

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
I don't really want to give out every detail for the quest
Then people won't be able to oversee it properly. They're not here to play guess. Especially when, seeing bits like this one...

II definitely need to practice the coding language, however before I can fully say where and when.
...you risk wasting time and efforts.

Reactions: Evil

Meteor07

Feb 5, 2017
@SoAndSo , this isn't even 5% done. i can tell rather easily. Also, "doesn't fit the context of the game"? Like dude, paige gets possesed and lets a freakin' GHOST live inside her, which also allows her to grow a dick. But don't get me wrong, i can understand what you're trying to say here.

@Magnolia , First of, i can get that writing this is rather hard. Especially since you're learning(?) English with your main language being Japanese, i can undertand the difficulty. But that being the case, just try and find what works in terms of writing. i'm not the greatest either.
Also, SoAndSo is kinda right, the Ignores Shields is really OP, but it doesn't mean it's impossible to get in the game.

Make it so that it's like a cursed sword, that it requires Steele to go through a bit of crap before they can use it properly. Like in the beginning it's power starts at 10 and at the end it's 35. sounds like reasonable suggestion, no?

Magnolia

Apr 7, 2019
Then people won't be able to oversee it properly. They're not here to play guess. Especially when, seeing bits like this one...

...you risk wasting time and efforts.

You are right. However, its a lingering fear that if I divulge too many story details, if it is ever implemented, it might not be enjoyable or exciting to the people who already know about it or helped me with it. I mostly hope it doesn't end up tosses aside as "just another dumb weapon quest".

Magnolia

Apr 7, 2019
@SoAndSo , this isn't even 5% done. i can tell rather easily. Also, "doesn't fit the context of the game"? Like dude, paige gets possesed and lets a freakin' GHOST live inside her, which also allows her to grow a dick. But don't get me wrong, i can understand what you're trying to say here.

@Magnolia , First of, i can get that writing this is rather hard. Especially since you're learning(?) English with your main language being Japanese, i can undertand the difficulty. But that being the case, just try and find what works in terms of writing. i'm not the greatest either.
Also, SoAndSo is kinda right, the Ignores Shields is really OP, but it doesn't mean it's impossible to get in the game.

Make it so that it's like a cursed sword, that it requires Steele to go through a bit of crap before they can use it properly. Like in the beginning it's power starts at 10 and at the end it's 35. sounds like reasonable suggestion, no?

You've essentially guessed out the first phase of the questline in very basic terms. Complexities and characters aside. However, I see alot of issues with the stats, mostly, so I'll be doing my best to create a finalized stat graph first and foremost. Thank you very much for your feedback, by the by.

Magnolia

Apr 7, 2019
Thank you to everyone who has replied, so far. This is new to me, and every little bit helps ever so much. If this is not too much to ask, please be patient with me, as I use your guidance to sharpen this blade, so to speak.

Zavos

May 7, 2016
According to Zavos' calculations, the appropriate item level for it's current stats (35 kinetic (slashing), 9 accuracy, 5 critical, 3 evade, requires high reflexes, ignores shields)...

would

be

Wowsers, thats like 10 times as high as the level of AnnoQuest!

(edit: AnnoQuest rewards seem to hover around lv5 item level, so its like 4x the level)
(edit2: This is assuming we give the item a common rarity (it is a shop item, and a weebstick no less), if we give it super rare rarity, the appropriate level drops to 18)

_Swish

Apr 17, 2019
According to Zavos' calculations, the appropriate item level for it's current stats (35 kinetic (slashing), 9 accuracy, 5 critical, 3 evade, requires high reflexes, ignores shields)...

would

be

Wowsers, thats like 10 times as high as the level of AnnoQuest!

(edit: AnnoQuest rewards seem to hover around lv5 item level, so its like 4x the level)
(edit2: This is assuming we give the item a common rarity (it is a shop item, and a weebstick no less), if we give it super rare rarity, the appropriate level drops to 18)
There's a stats-to-level calculation method? I'd like to know about this for myself if nothing else.

Zavos

May 7, 2016
There's a stats-to-level calculation method? I'd like to know about this for myself if nothing else.

The main thing to note is that items get a budget from level, an item can be assigned as "rare" (115%) or "super rare" (125%) (basically, quest and waifu rewards), which determines a base budget. Stats such as raw damage/defense, sexiness, evasion etc. count against this budget, while tags such as airtight and requires power armor, as well as resistances count against (or towards) the budget by percent. (For this item, I assigned the negates shields effect a 50% cost, and the requires reflexes a -10% cost (following suit from ReqPowerArmr)) Note that rare and super rare armor and shields get a additional percent-based allotment. Vender sold items are nearly always common rarity (the main exception being the Steele Suit Anno sells). Underwar, accessories and customizeable armor (Nova) are also except from this system.

Basically, leave notes for the coder for how the item's stats should be allotted, and it will be done based upon the relative level range of the content

Edit: In retrospect, i should've set the reflex requirement bonus lower (like 5%) and the ignores shields penalty higher (around 70% or 80%).

Last edited:

Magnolia

Apr 7, 2019
The main thing to note is that items get a budget from level, an item can be assigned as "rare" (115%) or "super rare" (125%) (basically, quest and waifu rewards), which determines a base budget. Stats such as raw damage/defense, sexiness, evasion etc. count against this budget, while tags such as airtight and requires power armor, as well as resistances count against (or towards) the budget by percent. (For this item, I assigned the negates shields effect a 50% cost, and the requires reflexes a -10% cost (following suit from ReqPowerArmr)) Note that rare and super rare armor and shields get a additional percent-based allotment. Vender sold items are nearly always common rarity (the main exception being the Steele Suit Anno sells). Underwar, accessories and customizeable armor (Nova) are also except from this system.

Basically, leave notes for the coder for how the item's stats should be allotted, and it will be done based upon the relative level range of the content

Edit: In retrospect, i should've set the reflex requirement bonus lower (like 5%) and the ignores shields penalty higher (around 70% or 80%).

Definitely Interesting. However, the item shows up as a shop item, at first, but won't be immediately usable until later in the questline. Think of if as purchasing a clue or a treasure map sort of situation.

Zavos

May 7, 2016
Definitely Interesting. However, the item shows up as a shop item, at first, but won't be immediately usable until later in the questline. Think of if as purchasing a clue or a treasure map sort of situation.
Fuck the questline. You got greedy, and any attempt to actually balance the weapon would reduce it's raw power into the negatives.

Reactions: Evil

Magnolia

Apr 7, 2019
Fuck the questline. You got greedy, and any attempt to actually balance the weapon would reduce it's raw power into the negatives.

Like many of the more powerful weapons, there will be trade-offs for its initial stats. It's originally designed to be a higher if not max level weapon. (Current max level, anyways.) It has to be worth the hoops you jump through. But as I said, the stats are subject to change. Also, please don't call the weapon a weebstick. I asked a person above not to, because the weapon is a sacred part of my life. I grew up training with Katanas, and they are what bound me to so many people and life lessons. I ask that you please not belittle the weapon.

_Swish

Apr 17, 2019
Also, please don't call the weapon a weebstick. I asked a person above not to, because the weapon is a sacred part of my life. I grew up training with Katanas, and they are what bound me to so many people and life lessons. I ask that you please not belittle the weapon.
Imma let you finish, but it's pretty strange that if you hold a weapon so sacred you would want to put it in a game whose primary draw is that it helps you whack off.

runingman69

Nov 24, 2018
canuck land.
Update: I'll clarify that this is a weapon obtained in a rather high level questline. It will be something you can start after gaining access to both Myrellion and Uveto, and the trigger will be available after level 5, but the weapon itself won't be usable until after a certain point in the quest line, and will require a level 9-10 character, depending on the build. I'll also say that the stats are subject to change, soon. I've not gotten the time to be able to freely work on the weapon, story, characters, and quest.
Ok. What makes it so special that requires such a high level! Is it magic? Does it have have some factor that disallows you to wield it at a low level if so what factor? Another factor why make a quest line for a powerful weapon if it loses its power by the end? I see nothing that could be gained from it. If you want to make a space Katana, you can just make one but for the right level. Kattom sells a lot of stuff. You could buy it from him.

Zavos

May 7, 2016
Assuming the weapon is of millitary-tier quality (a stretch, by any means), the weapon would probably come out at lv7 (This is, largely, non negotiable. Take it up with Fenoxo directly if you feel that it should be more powerful). This gives it a budget of rougly 82 (super-rare). One point of accuracy costs 1, one point of crit costs 1.5, one point of evasion costs 4, one point of kinetic damage costs 2.5.

To make it stand out against higher level weapons, Zavos recommends dumping a large amount of budget into either accuracy or critical. The weapon could, for example, have 20 kinetic, 20 crit.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
You are right. However, its a lingering fear that if I divulge too many story details, if it is ever implemented, it might not be enjoyable or exciting to the people who already know about it or helped me with it.

Playing coy isn't going to help you any. Here's a hint: playtesting aside, the writers and coders generally don't have the time to play the games they make. This forum is already considered spoilery. If you're going to play this game, don't be surprised when help is lacking and scorn is incoming.

Also, just as a personal request, could you please not call it the weebstick or weebsword? I've been a swordsman(woman?) all my life, so I have a deep respect for the weapon I live by.

Imma let you finish, but it's pretty strange that if you hold a weapon so sacred you would want to put it in a game whose primary draw is that it helps you whack off.

Going to echo this sentiment. You respect the sword so much that you want to associate it with a low-brow pornographic game. Really now.

You're clearly too emotionally attached to your unique special snowflake. It's understandable -- a lot of novice writers are attached to their babies too much to want to slice them to ribbons. As things are, it's not going to get in, no matter your rationalisations. For example, "pierces shields" breaks several fights completely, like Urbolg who is supposed to surrender when 80% of his shields are depleted. And no, you aren't going to get anyone to go back in and rework the entire fight mechanics just for one item.

Anytime you have to delve into a lengthy and convoluted explanation of just why you deserve an exception the rest of the game follows, you've already lost. This entire exchange reminds me of people trying to get bestiality into CoC2 and trying to play the qualification game. "What if it talks?" "What if it has human-level intelligence?" "What if it can consent?"

I can tell you straight up-front: nerf this heavily and bring it in line with everything else or it doesn't get in.

Meteor07

Feb 5, 2017
Whew, this comment section is getting heated. And i mean in a bit of a bad way. too many requests for nerfs.

@Magnolia, i'm going to assume that since you said i essentially guessed the first phase of the quest, that this Katana is going to have a bad end as a potential route. In which Steele is killed by the blade when trying to wield it.

I'm also going to assume that you're going to add the requirement for high willpower, as wielding a cursed blade without high willpower is suicide at the very least. Meaning you are probably going to either add a character, or a manual that tells you a method of how to strengthen your willpower. I'm also going to hypothesize that this katana will be somewhat like the Tai e made by Ou Yezi, meaning the blade had a special method of forging that puzzles almost every scientist in the galaxy of the TiTS-verse.

as mentioned, since this is probably going to require training to wield, Steele will be provided a training weapon to practice withe before moving on to a real katana to practice with, before eventually moving on to use the Relic, but only by maintaining high willpower. Or by having someone suppress the the blade with qi, in which it's stats will go down considerably and it will also lose the "Ignores Shields" flag, but gain maybe 2 points of evasion.

As for my last assumption for now, i'm also going to assume that you're going to make it part of the quest that it explains how the crafting method has changed the blades material entirely, unintentionally making it so that it radiates a particular energy, similar go the Slut Ray which makes it able to bypass shields.

Does that sound about right?

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I dunno why y'all are obsessing over this thing's stats so much.

We have an automated spreadsheet we use to calculate an item's stats based on what level it's for and how hard it is to get. What the author wants the thing's stats or abilities to be don't matter.

Magnolia

Apr 7, 2019

To clarify, it isn't this project I hold sacred. I meant Japanese weaponry in general. It honestly sucks to have your culture constantly mocked and stereotyped when you put your heart and soul into something, but people from other walks of life affix negative connotations to them. That's all I meant by that, hun.

Reactions: Kesil

Magnolia

Apr 7, 2019
Ok. What makes it so special that requires such a high level! Is it magic? Does it have have some factor that disallows you to wield it at a low level if so what factor? Another factor why make a quest line for a powerful weapon if it loses its power by the end? I see nothing that could be gained from it. If you want to make a space Katana, you can just make one but for the right level. Kattom sells a lot of stuff. You could buy it from him.

The weapon won't lose power at any point. It will just be not be able to used until a certain point. There will also be ways to adapt it to have new abilities down the line, but you'll have to complete quests in the chain to gain that ability.