Where to get Baldur's Gate?

Tobey Maguire

Mar 10, 2020
So listening to some members talk about Baldur's Gate and after watching some gameplay for the third game I decided I wanted to try it out and see if I like the game. I'm aware of the remastered version on Steam but i figured the original would be free and I could save myself a couple buckaroos so if anyone knows where i could get the original and the second BG I would appreciate it. If there isn't then I i'll go ahead and buy the one on Steam.

Zandar

Aug 31, 2015
I'm not sure how much it is on steam but it shouldn't be that expensive. if you want a game that is not a decade+ old and is closer, play Divinity Original Sin 2, cause it was a "spiritual successor" to Baldurs Gate...... Oh also the company that made DOS2 is the company that is making BG3. so if they made a good enough spiritual successor that they got hired to MAKE the new actual game, you can expect the games are going to be very similar.

Tobey Maguire

Mar 10, 2020
I'm not sure how much it is on steam but it shouldn't be that expensive. if you want a game that is not a decade+ old and is closer, play Divinity Original Sin 2, cause it was a "spiritual successor" to Baldurs Gate...... Oh also the company that made DOS2 is the company that is making BG3. so if they made a good enough spiritual successor that they got hired to MAKE the new actual game, you can expect the games are going to be very similar.
It's 20 dollars on Steam and I wanted to get Baldur's Gate to get into the story but I'll probably try both now that you mentioned that. I was just asking if anyone knew how to get it for free to save myself a few bucks but it ain't that much.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Yeah, bear in mind that the original Baldur's Gate was created by Bioware back in 98 and is a completely different beast. Its got a completely different story to what will appear in BG3. Not to mention that its easier to run the enhanced edition on modern machines than the original game.

Like Zandar said, if you want a feel of how BG3 will play, try Divinity: Original Sin 2. The lessons learned in making DOS2 are clear in BG3.

Rear Admiral Chimera

Jan 12, 2017
Do note that Baldur's Gate and its sequel utilizes a CRPG version of AD&D 2nd edition. That ruleset is quite different when compared to the later editions.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Which is why I said its a completely different beast to BG3. Which is based on 5th edition D&D.

Rear Admiral Chimera

Jan 12, 2017
Understandable, I simply wanted Tobey to know that the game mechanics used in the previous games may seem alien to the newer game (like the presence THAC0 or the various saving throw values). That way if inclined to do so, Tobey could look up the rules for AD&D 2E as a reference.