Where does the crew sleep?

DrunkZombie

Apr 12, 2018
Minnesota, USA
Thought I would start a thread to gather where the crew all sleep. Are there any you think shouldn't take up space on the ship? If so, why?

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
- Obviously Celise and the Grey Goo Armour sleep in very nice buckets.
- Shekka probably sleeps around the engine room. Also she's tiny.
- I think anyone who shares Steele's bed would probably free up another bunk.

Reactions: ShySquare

Wsan

Scientist
Creator
Jan 8, 2016
Amber's in the hold, so if we're strictly talking bunks she's okay. I think that probably doesn't count, though.

DrunkZombie

Apr 12, 2018
Minnesota, USA
Please keep this thread to serious replies. I plan to give the results to Fen to adjust the usage of crew spots for the ships.

A

Athena

• Yammi sleeps in a tank in the storage room
  • Anno sleeps in her own quarters
  • Kase sleeps in his own quarters
  • Azra takes up a bunk
  • Sera has a room
  • Penny has her own quarters
  • Reaha seems to have her own quarter
I unfortunately can't figure out if Mitzi has her own bunk/quarters or not, same with Ramis (though I think it's specified during her recruitment). I also have never recruited Pexiga, Pippa, Paige, or Amber, so I don't know where they'd sleep. Paige and Pippa, judging from the Wiki, would likely have their own quarters, but that's only a guess. I'd also guess that Bess/Ben does not have their own quarters, but I haven't found any text confirming it either way, yet. There's a lot to get through, though...

Last edited by a moderator:

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
Pexiga is kind of weird. You don't know she exists when you recruit Yammi, then when you uplift her she suddenly takes Crew space? Does recruiting/evicting Yammi take/vacate 2 Crew slots? Post Uplifting: is it possible to evict Yammi and keep Pexiga? Is it possible to evict Pexiga and keep Yammi?

Reactions: Kesil

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
Pexiga is kind of weird. You don't know she exists when you recruit Yammi, then when you uplift her she suddenly takes Crew space? Does recruiting/evicting Yammi take/vacate 2 Crew slots? Post Uplifting: is it possible to evict Yammi and keep Pexiga? Is it possible to evict Pexiga and keep Yammi?
This should be adjusted for the next release. I found some inconsistencies with the crew space counting that I have recently fixed.

I may have to give it another adjustment pass, but currently, there is a total of 22 possible recruited crew members coded (2 of those are placeholders for when the content is ready, so it is actually 20 in-game). Of those, 5 should be counted as "other" (meaning they don't take up crew space). Those should be: Celise, the Gray Goo Armor, the Pexiga, the Varmint, and the Siegwulfe. The rest should count towards crew space.

Hope this helps.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
On a far more serious note, I remember my grandfather telling me about his first job, on a coal schooner that operated between Ireland and Wales in the 1930s and early 40s. Yes, a masted ship and its not as strange as you might think. Smaller companies preferred them because they didn't have to pay for fuel, they could save money anyway they could. That said, she was retrofitted with diesel engines in the early 40s.

Anyway, before I start getting off point, that ship was restored in the 90s and my grandfather took me to see her. Schooners might look like they have a lot of space, but believe me that's all cargo space. Crew quarters are tiny and the captain's quarters are little more than the size of a wardrobe. But he would tell me that the crew would do whatever they could to find any sort of space to sleep. On a summer night, they might have slept on the deck, on winter nights or when it was raining, they'd sleep around the engines with the heat of the engines.

Point is that necessity is the mother of invention. While a ship might have crew bunks, they aren't necessarily the only places where one can sleep.
- The engine room, as I mentioned above, could probably have a cot for the engineer to catch some sleep after some work/repairs.
- The mess/galley could double as impromptu bunks.
- Cargo hold would probably be the single largest open area on a ship, but that depends on whether you want to make money or want to convert it into other usage. Not just crew space, but workshops or something else.

A

Athena

Point is that necessity is the mother of invention. While a ship might have crew bunks, they aren't necessarily the only places where one can sleep.
- The engine room, as I mentioned above, could probably have a cot for the engineer to catch some sleep after some work/repairs.
- The mess/galley could double as impromptu bunks.
- Cargo hold would probably be the single largest open area on a ship, but that depends on whether you want to make money or want to convert it into other usage. Not just crew space, but workshops or something else.

Indeed. Shekka, Ramis, and Yammi already have scene text alluding to these accomodations, so I don't think it should be much of a stretch logically. These characters (as well as Anno) also have gameplay features that could potentially make them be seen as "evergreen" crew members. Not taking up crew space would remove any potential they'd have for being a limiting factor as as crew size and configuration, allow a basic ship configuration that emphasises crew size save for one or two armaments to be viable for general play. Depending oh how many characters have ship-related benefits like Shekka, it might even make using ships that are bristling with guns seem like a more attractive option if you don't have to "waste" space on crew quarters.

Kedolan

May 7, 2018
Another thing to consider here, compared to wet navy ships, is that we're in space. It's not only space we have to think about here, it's life support on the ship: you might be able to stuff 100 people into the ship if they all just stand around in the hallways, but will your ship be able to produce enough breathable air for them all?

Reactions: Athena

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
Another thing to consider here, compared to wet navy ships, is that we're in space. It's not only space we have to think about here, it's life support on the ship: you might be able to stuff 100 people into the ship if they all just stand around in the hallways, but will your ship be able to produce enough breathable air for them all?
That's true, but Siegwulfe, Nova and Bess/Ben probably don't breathe, although the first two don't count as Crew. On the other hand, the Varmint, Pexiga and the creatures rented from Maja do breathe (presumably), but don't count as Crew.

This may change in the future, but you're not in space for very long. Most trips between locations take 10-11 hours, with Uveto requiring an extra hour of paperwork.