What is grimdark mode?

Kitteh6660

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
It's a work in progress game mode for CoC Revamp Mod that will drastically change the game. While the main story will remain the same, it makes the game significantly less straightforward and as the name suggests, makes it much darker and edgier.

List of changes that would supposedly happen.
  • Camp replaced with Ingnam, since the entire town is mysteriously transported to Mareth and the original world is gone.
  • Much darker description of zones and places. Take the good old city of Tel'Adre for example.
  • Walls around each zone, with locked gates blocking access. You'll need keys to unlock the gates.
  • FoE-like exploration for overworld but somewhat leaning towards TiTS.
  • No more returning to camp every hour.
  • Ramped up enemy stats and levels.
  • New puzzles and changes to dungeons.
Most of the NPC content will remain the same, perhaps with a bit of dialogue alterations.

As far as the story goes, this is set after the war that raged on for years shortly after the events of the main game mode. And Lethice, aware of the champions, sent out her minions to erect walls in an attempt to slow down the Champion. She knew that if the Champion can figure out a way, then that one is the worthy one.

One of the screenshots.
KaizoForestTextv2_zpsbdgzyrgd.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Eliria

SorenMageofMareth

Aug 28, 2015
Think of it simular to a national park with one entrance or also it could be a quarantined area (since taint)
That makes no sense whatsover. It takes a retarded amount of gem to buy building material to fortify your camp. And Coc corruption isnt' nearly that caustic. The sheer industrial Might to build a wall all the way around all of those areas to stop some one from getting in or out means Lethice has already one.

Ezzy

May 27, 2017
Brazil
That makes no sense whatsover. It takes a retarded amount of gem to buy building material to fortify your camp. And Coc corruption isnt' nearly that caustic. The sheer industrial Might to build a wall all the way around all of those areas to stop some one from getting in or out means Lethice has already one.

Lethice is the queen in this game. Just keep that in mind.

ThatOneJester

Nov 14, 2015
@Kitteh6660
I was asking about this before in another thread.
Could never find an answer as to when it would be completed.
I look forward to it.

SorenMageofMareth

Aug 28, 2015
Lethice is the queen in this game. Just keep that in mind.
Or a Lazy, unstable back biting regime rotting in it's own decadence and only barely in check by force of Arms who fodder group is widely unsuit to mass scale physical labor of the type that would be needed to make this literal world wonders of walls. Her people literally do not have what it takes to do this without sex.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Does it really matter?

In the vanilla game, the Champion can't go everywhere at the beginning, they have to unlock regions by exploring.

GrimDark mode in the modded game simply makes it a little more involved and forces the Champion to develop their ability and skills, through levelling up.

So which adds to the story of the Champion: They have to earn a key to advance to the next region or they just go to the same area half a dozen times and oh! suddenly they spot the trail to the next region?

And if you're worried about why anyone would want to build gates in the first place, well not everything in Mareth wants to devour your soul after riding you senseless. A lot of places might have installed the gates to protect themselves or as a means for their future generations to prove themselves.

Kitteh6660

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
I'd thought that I could explain more about the wall.

Rather than the physical walls, think of pylons that are erected and with careful precision, the magical barriers are erected. Think of Ghostfence from Morrowind. The walls in Grimdark mode would be about 15 meters high. That building you see in the picture could be a good example of the way through the walls. By setting up magical barriers, this would cut down a lot on the costs for materials needed to build the Great Wall of Lethice.

Picture for a good reference.

Ezzy

May 27, 2017
Brazil
Rather than the physical walls, think of pylons that are erected and with careful precision, the magical barriers are erected. Think of Ghostfence from Morrowind. The walls in Grimdark mode would be about 15 meters high. That building you see in the picture could be a good example of the way through the walls. By setting up magical barriers, this would cut down a lot on the costs for materials needed to build the Great Wall of Lethice.

Hum, good point.

Kinofthehunt

Sep 20, 2017
I'd thought that I could explain more about the wall.

when I hear pylons I thank starcraft

Albedo Piazolla

Jul 21, 2017
huh... lethice might be better than trump... or equal. still, look forward to this being completed. or better yet, why not create a sequel? this game kinda ended on a somewhat cliffhanger. or is that already planned?

Reactions: Verdux_Xudrev

Kinofthehunt

Sep 20, 2017
huh... lethice might be better than trump... or equal. still, look forward to this being completed. or better yet, why not create a sequel? this game kinda ended on a somewhat cliffhanger. or is that already planned?
no clue but most likely already planned

Kinofthehunt

Sep 20, 2017
I kinda agree with this, even if she was sex crazed, there should have been more Resistance against the champion than just a few dungeons and the occasional imp attack

it would better spread out the story too, and not just beating in a few hours

I also like that not going to camp every hour thing, like seriously its golden
true

Kitteh6660

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
When the grimdark mode is complete, it will be housed within CoC Revamp Mod.

At the present time, you can enable debug to unlock Grimdark Mode. It's not finished yet.

AuberonSylveon

Nov 25, 2017
I'm definitely looking forward to the development of Grimdark mode. Of course, it's in the very early stages now, so bugs are expected, but...
The entire background and text are completely black, for me. I can change the BG in Settings, but it immediately reverts back in the main game. Is there something I can do to fix this?
I hope this is the right place. Just made this account.

Edit: It seems I can temporarily bypass whatever reverts the background by changing it to what I want, then going to Data and Saving. It automatically sends me back into the main game once the data is saved, but is there something to permanently fix this?

Ezzy

May 27, 2017
Brazil
@AuberonSylveon
Firstly: No, this is not the thread to post a bug report, so please, refer to the original post of the mod in question for this type of comment to avoid confusion from other readers.

Secondly: There was no recent update regarding the bugs of the Grimdark Mode currently present, so no solution to the problem presented.

My Conclusion? Wait and see. Keep a close look on the changelog for the upcoming updates for any changes and fixes regarding the New Mode.

Kitchie Keen

Sep 15, 2017
I'm always down for more CoC-Revamp content! Do we have an ETA on when it might be finished?

Nao

Dec 29, 2017
Grimdark is in debug mode?....hmm maybe i should finish my first playthrough before trying this even if its not completed