What is a text based game?

xyzabc198

May 4, 2016
Hey guys, 

So, I've always avoided "text-based games" as I always thought that meant that they were games without any artwork, and just text, which isn't of much interest to me, however, I recently played a "text-based game" as the developer described it, yet it had amazing artwork and a lot of sex scenes. Is this a mistake on the dev's part calling it a "text-based game" or is my understanding of the term incorrect somehow?

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
The text is a primary in a text-based game. You can take off all art from it and it would still be full game.

MESeele

Aug 26, 2015
As far as I understand, the "text-based" label has become watered down over the years. Initially it did mean text only, referring to text-based MUDs that had no art. And any art it did have was limited to ACII. Things change though, and that's no longer the case.

Were I to take a stab at the current definition, I'd say it's:
• A world where the better part of the activity that takes place is realized solely through the imagination

In this definition, a text-based game could have art that helps direct a person's imagining of a scene. But if the art plays too large a role it is no longer considered such.

Edit: Ninja'd. Etis' definition also works and is more succinct.

Last edited by a moderator:

xyzabc198

May 4, 2016
I don't play TiTs  CoC or FoE, but this forum has lots of games that are not text based on them

xyzabc198

May 4, 2016
That's true, in a way, though the vast majority of the site is dedicated specifically to Fenoxo's games, and FoE has a small but decently active community alongside CoC and TiTS. The Adult Game Showcase forum is a fairly minor aspect, more an internet billboard for free advertising/self-promotion than anything else, but you are correct in saying it exists. If the games in the AGS forum are your main interest, I'd say you'd probably be better off finding forums wholly dedicated to that style of game as opposed to one mostly dedicated to text-based games. Not that I'm saying you shouldn't post here or you're not allowed to post here, but more a recommendation of where you should look for content that will interest you.

If I knew of a site like that, I would happily go there

Crablord

Jan 18, 2016
a game that you read that sometimes has pictures

Hoboy

Mar 31, 2016
If I knew of a site like that, I would happily go there

ULMF, Hongfire, Legend of Krystal Forums, Sharks Lagoon off the top of my head. Also Hypnotics Collective, TFgamesite...I must say though that I frequent this site as one of my top three because of the variety I see here...

buffmuffin

Apr 5, 2016
I don't play text games either, so don't feel bad, you are far from alone here. 

And to be fair, this site does have, and this was posted under, the "Other Adult Games" section... I actually never browse any other thread. 

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
To be fair, you did say you've "always avoided text-based games." That kind of implied you have an understanding of what they are and a general distaste for them. It's not that you're not welcome, but more that, from your own statements, it seems unlikely that any of the games here would interest you.

What she said. You're not unwelcome, I just think it's kinda odd you'd have found/chosen to stick around this place. But hey, Adult Games section does exist I 'spose.