What determines litter size?

Cyberweasel89

Nov 21, 2017
Where the toilet water ends up
Fertility and virility are how easy it is to impregnate/get pregnant in the first place, but what determines how many kids Steele or one of their bearers has in a single pregnancy?

The Discord says it's a dice roll, but if so, how come Ilaria and Riya are giving my Steele five and nine kids, respectively, each pregnancy with alarming consistency?

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
That's a good question. I've noticed that ever since I've gotten my Steele to 2500% fertility I've consistently gotten triplets for human births.

Cyberweasel89

Nov 21, 2017
Where the toilet water ends up
Yeah, I was told that it was fertility and a dice roll, but I've experimented. Even bringing my Steele's fertility down to base, I got the same amount of kids from Riya. It only seemed to affect the chance of getting pregnant in the first place.

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
I said that it's determined by character and sometimes a dice roll. There's also a factor of the number of wombs you have. Specifically Riya, because she's the one you use
// 15% base chance of impregnation from vaginal sex with Riya, adjusted for PC fertility(Unless PC is infertile/using contraceptives, of course)
// 5% base chance of twins, adjusted for PC fertility
... and ...
_basePregnancyIncubationTime = (60 * 24 * 272); // 9 Months
_basePregnancyChance = 0.1;
_alwaysImpregnate = false;
_ignoreInfertility = false;
_ignoreFatherInfertility = false;
_ignoreMotherInfertility = false;
_allowMultiplePregnancies = true;
_canImpregnateButt = false;
_canImpregnateVagina = true;
_canFertilizeEggs = false;
_pregnancyQuantityMinimum = 1;
_pregnancyQuantityMaximum = 3;
_definedAverageLoadSize = 6400;
_pregnancyChildType = GLOBAL.CHILD_TYPE_LIVE;
_pregnancyChildRace = GLOBAL.TYPE_HUMAN;
_childMaturationMultiplier = 1.0;

So, specifically for Riya, the more fertility the more kids, but it's not a one-size-fits-all rule because it's determined by writer.

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
For NPC pregnancy, it just depends on how each one is implemented. The ones I implemented the deciding factor is a dice roll with a strong bonus for PC virility, with set maximums based on the NPC's race, i.e. Thraggen have up to twins, Ausar can have sextuplets. I could post the functions with graphs if you're a math nerd like me.

Reactions: Freed85

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
This would be Sam's litter size graph, which is the most complex one because she can have up to 6.

Basically the red line is your chance of getting 6, then if you don't the blue line is your chance of getting 5, then if you don't the green line is your chance of getting 4, then..... until finally if you don't get 2, you just get 1.

So for a PC with base virility (x = 1.0):
there's a .14 = 14.0% chance of sextuplets,
a (1-.14)*.23 = 19.8% chance of quintuplets,
a (1-.14)*(1-.23)*.46 = 30.5% chance of quadruplets,
a (1-.14)*(1-.23)*(1-.46)*.73 = 26.1% chance of triplets,
a (1-.14)*(1-.23)*(1-.46)*(1-.73)*.84 = 8.1% chance of twins,
and finally a (1-.14)*(1-.23)*(1-.46)*(1-.73)*(1-.84) = 1.5% chance of just 1 pupper.

Last edited:

wallpaper

Nov 29, 2017
The loneliest pupper that you'll ever meet...

These graphs are great! Are they determined for all characters that can be got pregnant, and if so, does this count for NPC's that can impregnate Steele? (I imagine less complex due to the human partners involved)

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
The loneliest pupper that you'll ever meet...

These graphs are great! Are they determined for all characters that can be got pregnant, and if so, does this count for NPC's that can impregnate Steele? (I imagine less complex due to the human partners involved)
I don't think so, pretty sure the NPC pregnancies I coded are the only ones like this.