Want to make my own game don't know where to start

Caizenlyrialus

May 29, 2019
So i have toyed with the idea of making my own game for awhile now but never did it because i never knew where to start. Thus ive decided to start by asking the forum where i should start. Some background on what i would want to do. I would more than likely want to stick to a text-based game because i have no visually artistic skills to speak of. As far as programming knowledge we'll just say i'll be starting from zero because i haven't done anything for a few years. As far as the game itself i would want it to be an rpg type of game that will eventually lead to a kind of management game aswell. It will probably be a labor of love unless i actually manage to get it to a point i would be ok with some kinda monetization, but thats a huge if so yea. Any suggestions on programs, languages or any advice you could have to give or even input if you wanna just tell me to give up now thats ok too. Thanks in advance for any replies this gets

<><

Jun 22, 2017
First thing is you need an idea of what kind of game you want to make, setting ,gameplay loop, pairings, fetishes and more should at least be thought out and written somewhere before you start with the actual game, Starting a game without at least a plan of what it will be like will most likely fail. Since you don't know much about coding and visual stuff i'd say twine makes a good game engine for you, but there's tons of different engines out there that don't need much computer expertise.

Tinman

Aug 30, 2015
As far as programming knowledge we'll just say i'll be starting from zero because i haven't done anything for a few years. As far as the game itself i would want it to be an rpg type of game that will eventually lead to a kind of management game aswell.

This won't work for your first game. If you want text based and have no coding experience then Twine is your best chance, but using Twine to make an RPG is going to be difficult for a first project. RPGMaker can be used to make great RPGs without experience, and has premade free assets so you don't need any art. But it won't be easily turned into a management game. Either way you need experience with the engine to do this without creating a ton of bugs.

I'd suggest you start smaller. Iron out an idea for either an rpg or a management game, pick the engine you want to practice with, and make a relatively short game that maybe has a few basic elements of the other genre.

Jaitzche

Mar 1, 2019
This won't work for your first game. If you want text based and have no coding experience then Twine is your best chance, but using Twine to make an RPG is going to be difficult for a first project. RPGMaker can be used to make great RPGs without experience, and has premade free assets so you don't need any art. But it won't be easily turned into a management game. Either way you need experience with the engine to do this without creating a ton of bugs.

I'd suggest you start smaller. Iron out an idea for either an rpg or a management game, pick the engine you want to practice with, and make a relatively short game that maybe has a few basic elements of the other genre.

Not OP but sort of in same boat. What would you suggest for someone with higher programming skills (Not to say I have any, but still)? I've been working with Twine and it does what I need for the most part, I'm just curious on what other ways there are to go about it.

Tinman

Aug 30, 2015
Not OP but sort of in same boat. What would you suggest for someone with higher programming skills (Not to say I have any, but still)? I've been working with Twine and it does what I need for the most part, I'm just curious on what other ways there are to go about it.

I'm going by what I've seen in numerous other adult game projects, mostly ones where some first time creator tries too much and the game stalls early only to be dropped when it becomes too much work. If Twine does what you need I don't see any pressing reason to stop using it. Since you don't seem to be trying to mix genres or twist an engine into doing something it usually doesn't I'm not sure what advice you're hoping for.

CleansingFire

Aug 27, 2015

RenPy, if you know/want to learn Python, though that's unnecessary for its basic use.

The already mentioned RPGMaker allows you to do some relatively complicated stuff with its built-in programming-without-writing-code, and for even more you can write scripts (Ruby for RPGMaker VX Ace, Javascript for RPGMaker MV), though in both cases it's bloody awkward as a scripting platform.

For more stuff similar to Twine, there are things like Quest, Inform, Rags and TADS.

Jaitzche

Mar 1, 2019
RenPy, if you know/want to learn Python, though that's unnecessary for its basic use.

The already mentioned RPGMaker allows you to do some relatively complicated stuff with its built-in programming-without-writing-code, and for even more you can write scripts (Ruby for RPGMaker VX Ace, Javascript for RPGMaker MV), though in both cases it's bloody awkward as a scripting platform.

For more stuff similar to Twine, there are things like Quest, Inform, Rags and TADS.

I did RenPy for a short bit but ultimately ran into issues accomplishing certain things without a ton of coding that in say, twine, is just a few lines.

I knew about Inform, but not the other three. I'll take a look.

Thanks!