VI emergent AI?

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
"Does this unit have a soul?"

So we've got 3 electronic intelligences in the TiTSverse at the moment. The two AIs are created from the onset to have a modicum of free will, in a way, but VIs can only do as they are programmed inside a set limit. But my question is could a VI in the TiTSverse, possibly from a naive programming or a glitch in the system, "learn" or "grow" and become sapient? For example, as my quote indicates, could something similar to what occurred in Mass Effect with the Geth happen, just maybe not on such a scale or quite the same way? Funnily enough I feel exactly that has already happened, just not recognized by the wider galaxy, with the microbots on Tarkus. Was this a conscious and intentional thing or am I just looking too deeply?

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
There are no strict definition of "AI". Or even just intelligence. So... Does this unit have a soul? No. There are no such thing as "soul".

ITNW1993

Aug 27, 2015
Seeing as none of the Virtual Intelligences in the TiTSverse have been designed to form a gestalt and develop their own solutions, the answer would be no.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Almost certainly not by the means you describe.  Naive programming or a glitch isn't about to cause what is essentially a voice bank overlaid on a standard computer to become sentient.

Now an AI becoming emergent from an enormous network of VIs each acting as individual neurons, that's plausible by the loose standards of sci-fi and is essentially what the gray goo are.  But otherwise, AI isn't about to appear by accident.  Nor could you "upgrade" a VI to an AI: you could give an AI the VI's knowledge database and it could perform all the same functions, but it would be like calling a cell phone an "upgrade" of one of the apps that runs on it.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015

So we've got 3 electronic intelligences in the TiTSverse at the moment. The two AIs are created from the onset to have a modicum of free will, in a way, but VIs can only do as they are programmed inside a set limit. But my question is could a VI in the TiTSverse, possibly from a naive programming or a glitch in the system, "learn" or "grow" and become sapient?

Something tells me that you might have an answer to this question on a certain upcoming Mad Max planet... 

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
Something tells me that you might have an answer to this question on a certain upcoming Mad Max planet... 

Ooooo, mysterious!

So we've got 3 electronic intelligences in the TiTSverse at the moment. The two AIs are created from the onset to have a modicum of free will, in a way, but VIs can only do as they are programmed inside a set limit. But my question is could a VI in the TiTSverse, possibly from a naive programming or a glitch in the system, "learn" or "grow" and become sapient? For example, as my quote indicates, could something similar to what occurred in Mass Effect with the Geth happen, just maybe not on such a scale or quite the same way? Funnily enough I feel exactly that has already happened, just not recognized by the wider galaxy, with the microbots on Tarkus. Was this a conscious and intentional thing or am I just looking too deeply?

No chance on the VIs. They're basically stupid information kiosks with speech recognition, if you want to get into the nitty-gritty. I'm not sure what the Goos are, they were supposed to be bodies for the Nova crew, but I'm not sure if you could count them as VIs. They could be somewhat like a VI, just a lot of them, but again, probably best to ask the author. No, I would say they're not VIs, just a lot of little machines seeking a common goal, and combining their goal seeking abilities, create the AI. 

Last edited by a moderator:

ITNW1993

Aug 27, 2015
The Gray Goos are described as a networked AI, so exactly like the Geth, I would assume, since it even describes them as being smarter the more of them there are.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
The Gray Goos are described as a networked AI, so exactly like the Geth, I would assume, since it even describes them as being smarter the more of them there are.

+1. 

Grey Goo individually are about as smart as the PCs microsurgeons, maybe a little simpler, but they network together. Originally that meant a few thousand greys in a single body would network up to take care of their host. Put a few million together, though, and they get people-smart like Nova. Well, smart as far as bimbos go. 

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
+1. 

Grey Goo individually are about as smart as the PCs microsurgeons, maybe a little simpler, but they network together. Originally that meant a few thousand greys in a single body would network up to take care of their host. Put a few million together, though, and they get people-smart like Nova. Well, smart as far as bimbos go. 

Now if we make our Goo Armor look like small sized enhanced exoskeleton that brings amount of singular gray goo in it even more which will again rise her inteligence. Ok aside how clever will our grey goo armor become depend how "big" she would became in upgrading scene was meantioned that their had at begining many medical functions. That made me think about possibility of upgrade that would allow PC using energy (or well since that bimbo goo lust) to heal a lil bit (may been even as special like teases with mini goo we have already). But that would she will soon turn into upgraded almost each new planet armor making wearing anything else pretty pointless (not to meantion if Fen would allow for such direction).

SorenMageofMareth

Aug 28, 2015
+1. 

Eh. Nova's plenty smart. Just has really corruppted priorities unlike treated who get a literal brain drain.

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
Eh. Nova's plenty smart. Just has really corruppted priorities unlike treated who get a literal brain drain.

Not quite. Read the codex entry. 

Quote said:
Actual I.Q.s are unchanged, though new cows have great difficulty maintaining motivation for nonsexual pursuits, leading to a bimbo stereotype. Promises of longer milkings for higher scores increased standardized test results to near pre-treatment levels. Adding a fuck from a treated male, or bull, as a prize eliminated the discrepancy.
Priorities. 

Fenoxo

Corrupter of Tainted Space
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Mareth
www.fenoxo.com
Pretty much. Treated characters aren't dumber, they're just way better at all things sexual. Put a Treated Guy or Girl anywhere, and they'll find the best spots for fucking, the most sexually arousing outfits, and the best places to hang out if they want to get noticed, though the first and last are more a female thing.

SorenMageofMareth

Aug 28, 2015
When I saw the massive Int score drops I just assumed it was on the take research that was lying to make it sound better funded by the corrupt patriarchs and that the treatment to not be nuked from orbit so they can get cow slut sex, and feed it to their political rivals and enemies and turn them into harem slaves or political figure heads with the proper mod tech. 

I mean it's almost a hundred percent certain that someone took the treatment and went full on mind rewrite with it. 

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
There's something called IQ used in the game that's calculated as your current int out of your level's max int. I like it as its much easier to use an int check.

Also my PC is a Ditz with max int.

flying_moustache

Aug 30, 2015
I even made a thread about it on the old forum where it was discussed at length but I STILL feel like I dont understand the Treatment 100%. Have pretty much given up on it by now.

There's something called IQ used in the game that's calculated as your current int out of your level's max int. I like it as its much easier to use an int check.

Also my PC is a Ditz with max int.

That reminds me of the "genius ditz" idea of the same thread, where only the sexy-bimbo-talk but not the super-dumb-bimbo-talk triggers. A pity Cthulhu demanded that the thread be offered as a tribute.

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
Quote said:
I even made a thread about it on the old forum where it was discussed at length but I STILL feel like I dont understand the Treatment 100%. Have pretty much given up on it by now.
What's not to understand? 

flying_moustache

Aug 30, 2015
I mean, what in particular?

Lets see if I can explain...

Ingame you are considered a "bimbo" if you gain the perk "Ditz Speech" (or at least thats what the game checks for to trigger both dumb-bimbo talk and sexy-bimbo talk)

This perk is gained if you:

• get treated by Dr. Badger
  • take the Dumbfuck Pill
  • take the Treatment
In case of Dr. Badger and Dumbfuck you are supposed to become an actual bimbo. As we heard before the Treatment DOES affect your Intelligence stat during the (long) transformation AND doubles your future Intelligence losses, but does not actually turn your PC into a dumb bimbo, but just lowers their attention span for non-sex thingies. That much I THINK I understand now after having it explained to me, but Im not sure if Im still wrong.

NONETHELESS the same bimbo lines are triggered and no difference is made between Dumbfuck and the Treatment.

On that note I tried to appeal to the writers to allow a distinction between actual-dumbfuck-dumb and treatment-special-notsosmart, so treated characters of particular high intelligence only trigger the sexy and flirty bimbo talk and not the dumb bimbo talk. Helpful User Couch even tried to come up with a possible little code solution and named it "Genius Ditz" but it was left uncommented by the crew, so it was probably deemed not fit for implementation...

Thats also why I quoted the post above with a bit of melancholy : /

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
On that note I tried to appeal to the writers to allow a distinction between actual-dumbfuck-dumb and treatment-special-notsosmart, so treated characters of particular high intelligence only trigger the sexy and flirty bimbo talk and not the dumb bimbo talk. Helpful User Couch even tried to come up with a possible little code solution and named it "Genius Ditz" but it was left uncommented by the crew, so it was probably deemed not fit for implementation...

There is hardly any distinction between the mental effects the Treatment gives and the mental effects Dumbfuck gives (as far as intelligence goes), in my opinion.

Quote from Dumbfuck codex entry:

Quote said:
While superficially dumb, they mastered techniques both sexual and seductive with exceeding aptitude. They were still clearly capable of problem solving, just much, much more focused into a single discipline. One of the dumbest girls, Stacy [Redacted] discovered that she did enjoy more general learning when coupled with masturbation. She went on to master advanced physics and currently serves as a Xenogen personal instructor using her unique talents.
Quote from Treatment codex entry:

Quote said:
 Actual I.Q.s are unchanged, though new cows have great difficulty maintaining motivation for nonsexual pursuits, leading to a bimbo stereotype. Promises of longer milkings for higher scores increased standardized test results to near pre-treatment levels. Adding a fuck from a treated male, or bull, as a prize eliminated the discrepancy. 
 As you can see, in both instances subjects simply do not give a shit about anything other than sex. HOWEVER, when coupling sex with learning and advanced topics, they excel. 

• Treated girls excel in standardized tests when offered longer milking sessions and/or a fuck from a bull
  • Dumbfucked individuals can learn and focus when their activities are coupled with sex.
And as always...

READ YER CODEX! :)  

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
In the code, all three things that flying_moustache mentioned DO affect your intelligence. They also give you the "Ditz Speech" perk, which is the only way the game checks to see if you're a bimbo. The only difference is that if you're Treated (and regardless of the other two), another flag is raised and used for very specific dialogues.

SorenMageofMareth

Aug 28, 2015

There is hardly any distinction between the mental effects the Treatment gives and the mental effects Dumbfuck gives (as far as intelligence goes), in my opinion.

Quote from Dumbfuck codex entry:

Quote from Treatment codex entry:

As you can see, in both instances subjects simply do not give a shit about anything other than sex. HOWEVER, when coupling sex with learning and advanced topics, they excel. 

• Treated girls excel in standardized tests when offered longer milking sessions and/or a fuck from a bull
  • Dumbfucked individuals can learn and focus when their activities are coupled with sex.
And as always...

READ YER CODEX! :)  
Eh. I read the codex. I just don't trust it.  I mean this is like space cyberpunk with massive debt slavery and undreground conspiracy and out and out corruption letting the treatment happen.   Further the tech as described should easily allow mind rewriting adn brain control of various levels like some ghost in the shell hell. 

Considering the shit the PC can get up and the dark ness already out there well someone likely doing worse than New Texas behind back doors and doesn't want people looking into it.  I mean something like 90% of the treatment is black boxed and what's visible is easily usable of pavlovian conditioning. 

So I'm of the opinion that well the power behind the throne just lied or span the test results.   Sure you're not really dumb.  You just lose all functional intelligence and priority not revolving around this incredibly minor thing that ultimately subordinates you to everyone else not obsessed with it and prevents you from mustering the the will to use your intelligence as actual intelligence permanately.  

CabalShadowBiscuit

Aug 31, 2015
Back to topic at hand. My personal distinction between AI and VI is:

1. AI have self recognition, as in, it recognize itself as a "self". Like how we consider ourselves a single being, not just our brain, or our heart or any other parts of our body. A intelligence able to form the concept of self is considered "AI"

2. VI is man made intelligence, it can be as powerful if not more powerful than AI but it does not have the concept of self, thus no sense of self serving, there is no "me" for VI, it is a tool serving a function. 

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Nah, in TiTS VIs are relatively simple-minded, incapable of or extremely limited in their adaptability and ability to learn. 

ITNW1993

Aug 27, 2015
VIs fit more along the lines of the Microsoft paper clip, nothing more. Heck, the "Intelligence" in the acronym is more of a misnomer than anything else.