[Unity][Free] Portals of Phereon - new Monstergirl Breeding Game

Syvaron

Jan 5, 2018
download and further descriptions: Patreon
tumblr for art etc. : tumblr

I am currently making a monstergirl breeding/management/strategy game in unity.

There are monstergirl base species and all possible combinations as hybrids to breed.
Currently only 7 base species for a total of 28 species.
Combat is turnbased on a tilemap

Main Fetishes: Monstergirls, Futa
Pairings: Female/Futa, Female/Female,Futa/Futa
("Males" are currently just futas without pussy)

Most things (especially Scenes/events/npcs) are unfinished/placeholder but its playable and the general framework is working so it should give you an idea about where the game is going

Some screenshots:
upload_2018-1-5_13-39-20.jpeg upload_2018-1-5_13-40-28.jpeg

ThatOneJester

Nov 14, 2015
Well I love how the images of the game look, but your approach was a little unsavory in advertising here.
The reason being most monster breeding games that are talked about in this forum and even the forum before this forum ended horribly.
Nothing like a title saying "new Monstergirl Breeding Game" to make entirely people apprehensive around here...
Especially with what happened to Breeding season and it's slightly better but not by much counterpart by the artist.

Let me be thorough though in the positives now.
Things Iike:
1. Art style.
2. Interesting fighting concept for a breeding game I guess.
3. Easy to understand controls.

I'd write up more, but none come to mind what with the fact I lost most hope in this game genre.
I wish you the best of luck.
And sincerely put what little hope I have left into the fact you actually dish out more than 3 updates in 1 year with content leading up to more than 20 minutes of gameplay.
Hopefully my comment isn't seen as putting down said game, because I would love a breeding game that is actually put to completion rather than ditched because of some stupid problem.

Edit: The Lavataur art needs a little work though, since that doorknob shaped penis head seems entirely like a turn off...

Reactions: Darthbob

Graham

Jan 5, 2018
Well, where do I begin? I shall begin with the positive I believe so here is a short list of the positive things I can come up with.
1. Art style is gorgeous I really liked both the pixel art and the drawings in the current version.
2. For a none English speaker as you claim to be I didn't notice any glaring problems with your use of the language.
3. UI is not complex and easy to understand.
4. Breeding is not really complex and offers a nice variety of breeding options with traits as well.
5. Equipping your own monsters with items is a first as far as I can tell for a breeding game and I believe its a positive change from the norm.
Sadly even though your work has what I would call some really positive aspects, there are some really fatal negatives I have encountered.
1.The game is riddled with bugs from ones that can be overlooked there are really glaring and fatal ones as well that I would suggest that should be a priority for your next build.
2.One bug that turns the game from enjoyable with some problems to unplayable is the bug that gives you -30000 gold in a no upkeep and removes all the monstergirls from the players home after the players party returns from the portals.
3.I was skeptical to consider this a bug but here it is. Portal time limits you can choose doesn't matter you can stay as long as you want or until your party dies making the choice between the length of the expeditions worthless.
4.A minor bug I would say but one that lowers the quality of the game is the false sprite that show on the battle map which makes battles problematic but not unplayable.
5.not a bug and a minor gripe but if trait effects are coded in there should be notes about their effects which there are currently none.
İn my personal opinion I really liked your work here I only played it for only an hour but enjoyed the gameplay and the general feel of it very much. I can only say that I will wait for your updates and hope that your game will be successful and that I hope you will enjoy your work as well.

Syvaron

Jan 5, 2018
Well, where do I begin? I shall begin with the positive I believe so here is a short list of the positive things I can come up with.
1. Art style is gorgeous I really liked both the pixel art and the drawings in the current version.
2. For a none English speaker as you claim to be I didn't notice any glaring problems with your use of the language.
3. UI is not complex and easy to understand.
4. Breeding is not really complex and offers a nice variety of breeding options with traits as well.
5. Equipping your own monsters with items is a first as far as I can tell for a breeding game and I believe its a positive change from the norm.
Sadly even though your work has what I would call some really positive aspects, there are some really fatal negatives I have encountered.
1.The game is riddled with bugs from ones that can be overlooked there are really glaring and fatal ones as well that I would suggest that should be a priority for your next build.
2.One bug that turns the game from enjoyable with some problems to unplayable is the bug that gives you -30000 gold in a no upkeep and removes all the monstergirls from the players home after the players party returns from the portals.
3.I was skeptical to consider this a bug but here it is. Portal time limits you can choose doesn't matter you can stay as long as you want or until your party dies making the choice between the length of the expeditions worthless.
4.A minor bug I would say but one that lowers the quality of the game is the false sprite that show on the battle map which makes battles problematic but not unplayable.
5.not a bug and a minor gripe but if trait effects are coded in there should be notes about their effects which there are currently none.
İn my personal opinion I really liked your work here I only played it for only an hour but enjoyed the gameplay and the general feel of it very much. I can only say that I will wait for your updates and hope that your game will be successful and that I hope you will enjoy your work as well.

Thanks for the feedback, I couldnt recreate the money/remove characters bug, but I will definitely look into that (if you still know under what conditions it happened please let me know)
portal time means if you go over the limit you need to pay a lot extra after you return home (maybe this is the money loss you mentioned, but that wouldnt explain the removal of your home characters)
About the Sprite thing, I just didnt really think about using the sprite for the overworld icon instead, but it makes a lot more sense.
Trait effects are listed in a very awkward and incomplete way in the library, but I will definitely make some tooltips for them at some point

Graham

Jan 5, 2018
Well, I didn't know there would be a penalty for staying for too long looking back at it it should have been obvious sorry for the clumsiness. But the conditions that created the bug I shall list them now.
1. I had 15 monstergirlls at my home.
2. I abandoned my group in a forest biome purposefully to see if they would arrive at home if as if they had died.
3. My group was made up of 2 plantaurs, 2 angels, and 1 unicorn. I had lost 2 of the angels during battle.
4. I abandoned my group before the before the portal closed the closing time for the portal was around 3 days.
5. The loot my group had was 2117 gold, 67 wood, 56 stone 2 futa potions two leather leggings? and a magical amulet(sorry their name escapes me)
I hope this information will be useful and I wish you the best of luck

Vintrion

Sep 15, 2015
Now that you're posting this everywhere, I'm guessing you feel the game is at a satisfactory point to move forward and provide meaningful updates.
Well I love how the images of the game look, but your approach was a little unsavory in advertising here.
The reason being most monster breeding games that are talked about in this forum and even the forum before this forum ended horribly.
This project is old as all hell to say the least. Although I don't think I could even dig up the initial posts on FP, but it was old enough to have been worked on prior to the breeding games' drama

ThatOneJester

Nov 14, 2015
@Vintrion
Then I look forward to it's continued development.
I'll donate on my next paycheck if nothing comes up, like the rest of the games I take an interest in~

klx

Jan 25, 2018
How character leveling works? I see no any correspondence between battle events even species score gaining, except character must be transformed in it.

Syvaron

Jan 5, 2018
Posted some updates since I was here the last time and the game is starting to have a more clear direction:
The maincharacter is now playable and and can learn/absorb genetics through dna of other species and transform/upgrade based on those species. Eventually you can unlock unique powerful forms, which will be connected to certain win conditions, by collecting certain genetic traits etc.
A lot of small changes/ added stuff
Should be a lot more stable now (Atleast I currently don't know any bugs)

How character leveling works? I see no any correspondence between battle events even species score gaining, except character must be transformed in it.

When your mc levels she gains a global 5 % bonus on every main stat, stackable for every form.(unrelated to levelupType).
Other characters gain stats instantly, based on their leveluptype
Exp is gained by attacking/seducing or casting spells (if they cost mana)

klx

Jan 25, 2018
I'm unable to switch gender of MC to male or futa while they transformed to DemonHarpy. Is it intentional?
Also, DemonHarpies are imbalanced, imo. I wanted to name harpies "deadly birdies", but then I'm found THIS :D

klx

Jan 25, 2018
Bugs:
- In character's stats window bottom lines in not fits into window
- In Sex tab one line of MC stats is missed. I'm pretty sure I seen 6 of them when started the game in first time.

Attachments

• text_is_clipped_1.png
    text_is_clipped_1.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 43
  • text_is_clipped_2.jpg
    text_is_clipped_2.jpg
    554.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Syvaron

Jan 5, 2018
posted a new version mostly focussed on transformation stuff framework:
- added 5 unique powerful special forms to unlock
- you can now choose skills/passives to have when transforming
- new starting traits/professions

I'm unable to switch gender of MC to male or futa while they transformed to DemonHarpy. Is it intentional?
Also, DemonHarpies are imbalanced, imo. I wanted to name harpies "deadly birdies", but then I'm found THIS :D
some characters don`t have all gender versions yet. The dropdown value doesnt update the actual gender in those cases. Now you can see the actual gender in another panel
Harpy hybrids now have 2 atkcost like every other character, but gained a bit of strength. Flying is probably a big enough advantage

Bugs:
- In character's stats window bottom lines in not fits into window
- In Sex tab one line of MC stats is missed. I'm pretty sure I seen 6 of them when started the game in first time.
fixed

klx

Jan 25, 2018
Bug: is impossible to open MC customization window by pressing "Customize self" button while any another window is open

klx

Jan 25, 2018
> In character's stats window bottom lines in not fits into window
Still does not fits:
text_is_clipped_3-jpg.6170

Timer going crazy after game load:
wrong_time-jpg.6171
wrong_time_2-jpg.6173

nonexistent "tool" was used:
wrong_tool1-jpg.6174
wrong_tool2-jpg.6175

Also, how can I report issues except posting it there? Do you have any public list of known issues?

Attachments

• text_is_clipped_3.jpg
    text_is_clipped_3.jpg
    598.5 KB · Views: 1,799
  • wrong_time.jpg
    wrong_time.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 1,766
  • wrong_time_2.jpg
    wrong_time_2.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 1,739
  • wrong_tool1.jpg
    wrong_tool1.jpg
    520.9 KB · Views: 1,737
  • wrong_tool2.jpg
    wrong_tool2.jpg
    531.2 KB · Views: 1,579
Last edited:

klx

Jan 25, 2018
posted a new version mostly focussed on transformation stuff framework:
Harpy hybrids now have 2 atkcost like every other character, but gained a bit of strength. Flying is probably a big enough advantage

Not noticed changes yet (not spend enough time to check), but DemonHarpies unlike Harpies, can carry second sword, which skyrockets damage to levels where lust gains caused by attacks becoming not important: does not matter how aroused you are if you are dead. Also, they cannot wear armor, so, it must make them vulnerable, but actually does not.

But, anyway, I think this is to early to speak about game balance on this stage.

IvoryOwl

Sep 1, 2015
This game has some really good art, must be expensive as hell commissioning all these races and their hybrid variants...

Syvaron

Jan 5, 2018
Bug: is impossible to open MC customization window by pressing "Customize self" button while any another window is open
fixed

> In character's stats window bottom lines in not fits into window
Still does not fits:
Timer going crazy after game load:
nonexistent "tool" was used:
Also, how can I report issues except posting it there? Do you have any public list of known issues?

fixed (Initially thought I'd make it so the maincharacter can change her genitals at anytime, but changed it for now, as you can also select gender in the transformation screen)
(text overflow still possible but needs more traits, I will change the UI at some point anyway)
You could post bugs under the uploaded build, so others know them instantly when they download it. I usually fix every known bug before posting a new version

Not noticed changes yet (not spend enough time to check), but DemonHarpies unlike Harpies, can carry second sword, which skyrockets damage to levels where lust gains caused by attacks becoming not important: does not matter how aroused you are if you are dead. Also, they cannot wear armor, so, it must make them vulnerable, but actually does not.

But, anyway, I think this is to early to speak about game balance on this stage.

The passive lustgain attack is mostly good on negative LRes enemies, because LRes is additive so if you deal just 1 LDmg to someone with -20LRes she gets 21 dmg, so multiple instances of low dmg is a lot stronger.
But yeah, I haven't really balanced anything now, because the Ai is still as simple as possible. low LRes isnt really a problem right now as enemies never try to seduce anyone even if its the only strength of their character. Also magic based enemies are quite bad, because they don't use their skills. But I will probably update the ai soon and do some initial balancing and scale the enemies strength based on the gametime.
Also, I haven't actually playtested my game much, because at this point I rather spend the time on programming/drawing.

This game has some really good art, must be expensive as hell commissioning all these races and their hybrid variants...
I do everything myself and I draw quite quickly, so thats not really a problem

Reactions: Sapphire

Arachnid

Jan 21, 2016
Hey there ! I really love your game (Best breeding game since you know which one . . .)
So yeah i've been playing around a bit, starting new game and all that, and ONE thing is bothering me : What does the Manabound trait does ? So far i got it from events and breeding with Npc . . .

Also i would really love if you could make the milk you can buy at the tavern a consumable for creatures. (The one you can harvest is really easy to have so that would be too much . . .) That or something else.

Keep the good work coming and thank you !

Syvaron

Jan 5, 2018
Hey there ! I really love your game (Best breeding game since you know which one . . .)
So yeah i've been playing around a bit, starting new game and all that, and ONE thing is bothering me : What does the Manabound trait does ? So far i got it from events and breeding with Npc . . .

Also i would really love if you could make the milk you can buy at the tavern a consumable for creatures. (The one you can harvest is really easy to have so that would be too much . . .) That or something else.
There is a list of what traits do in the library. Manabound doubles the base mana but sets the base atk to 1.
I will give the option to get bottled milk from the taverkeeper which will probably restore ap during combat.

Arachnid

Jan 21, 2016
There is a list of what traits do in the library. Manabound doubles the base mana but sets the base atk to 1.
I will give the option to get bottled milk from the taverkeeper which will probably restore ap during combat.
Oh sorry didn't quite see it (looked for it though...)
Thanks for the reply :)
Also, it seems like my Ritual is buggued as nothing happens when i do it

EDIT : Ok apparently (at least for centaurs) As long as you have Human in the gene pool, your creature can't give you points with the ritual. At least that's what i can see

Last edited:

Syvaron

Jan 5, 2018
Also, it seems like my Ritual is buggued as nothing happens when i do it

EDIT : Ok apparently (at least for centaurs) As long as you have Human in the gene pool, your creature can't give you points with the ritual. At least that's what i can see
Yeah its bugged, special forms species like human should never even be possible to be inherited. Instead, Special form + any other character should always result in one of the base species of that other character
Will be fixed next version

Arachnid

Jan 21, 2016
Yeah its bugged, special forms species like human should never even be possible to be inherited. Instead, Special form + any other character should always result in one of the base species of that other character
Will be fixed next version
Kinda sad for me, i'm the type to think " The more the merrier" But that's your game and it's great so keep doing what you like i'm sure it'll be good :)

Edit : Also, is the maximum number of traits 5 ? Please tell me i'm just unlucky :(

Last edited:

Syvaron

Jan 5, 2018
Kinda sad for me, i'm the type to think " The more the merrier" But that's your game and it's great so keep doing what you like i'm sure it'll be good :)
It doesnt actually mean there will be less characters/hybrids. It just means I have more time to put in completely different species.
Also the special forms mostly have parts from different species already, so making further combinations would be really awkward.
Also Human + anything doesnt really work because every base Species is already kinda like a human + something else

Edit : Also, is the maximum number of traits 5 ? Please tell me i'm just unlucky :(
Yes its currently the maximum, but im not sure if I keep it that way (almost all values currently in the game are just whatever I initially put in as a placeholder). I kinda like the idea of breeding traits for specific things in multiple different branches rather than just having characters that have everything, so I probably wont remove the limit completely.

Arachnid

Jan 21, 2016
It doesnt actually mean there will be less characters/hybrids. It just means I have more time to put in completely different species.
Also the special forms mostly have parts from different species already, so making further combinations would be really awkward.
Also Human + anything doesnt really work because every base Species is already kinda like a human + something else

Yeah figured :3 In a way the Human gene isn't really bad, it makes it more real breeding wise, it's kind of a drawback for me at this moment, you just have to make it not buggy and make a check for human/human to be impossible

Yes its currently the maximum, but im not sure if I keep it that way (almost all values currently in the game are just whatever I initially put in as a placeholder). I kinda like the idea of breeding traits for specific things in multiple different branches rather than just having characters that have everything, so I probably wont remove the limit completely.

Goodbye my perfect existence !
Well, back to breeding specialised beasts it is then. Also, you should at least make a reserved spot for personality traits (if not we could just say goodbye to them if we think they are not worth it)

On a more personnal note : I feel the neverending climbing taxes to be kind of a pain. My idea would be to nerf income (Can't do anything of it at the moment anyway) Raise food price, taxes depend on upgrades and number of creatures (and kind (and traits))

Edit : Also, can we equip ourselfs with gear ? And of not, is it planed ? Since the main char is already the weakest at the moment (no near infinit level)...

Last edited:

klx

Jan 25, 2018
This is something I want to write about this game:

This game reminds "Battle for Wesnoth" (https://www.wesnoth.org/)

Battle for Wesnoth have pretty similar combat system:
Individually leveled characters with personal traits, movement scores is also used.
But it does have some difference: map is global, hexagonal, no mana/magica, one attack per turn for character, attacked character is fighting back.

youtu.be/Iw8ZAWKmycI?t=26m
You can safely turn on x2 speed there... And if you will decide to play this game (it is free, GPL v2) - you probably need to go to settings and increase animation speed to x2.

Because characters have individuality I'm sticking with them. And because player's and enemy's characters essentially is the same - it pretty easy to lost character in battle. And without maxed-out characters latest missions is virtually impossible. Which forces to use heavy save scumming.

In PoP characters is even harder to obtain and even more valuable because of breeding. Currently forced save scumming is not the issue, but only because of easiness of battles. So... I have some concerns about it.

Syvaron

Jan 5, 2018
Well, back to breeding specialised beasts it is then. Also, you should at least make a reserved spot for personality traits (if not we could just say goodbye to them if we think they are not worth it)
Personalities will be something completely different when I add a relationship system.

On a more personnal note : I feel the neverending climbing taxes to be kind of a pain. My idea would be to nerf income (Can't do anything of it at the moment anyway) Raise food price, taxes depend on upgrades and number of creatures (and kind (and traits))
I will probably have two separate playmodes with mostly different costs and incomes and balance them accordingly:
Normal: how it currently is with an endgoal to reach in essentially limited time. (everything is faster, because you're meant to lose some games until you know the game enough to beat it, unlocking new starting traits, profession events etc (kinda like FTL))
Sandbox: Everything is slower, no stress (kinda like darkest dungeon easier difficulties)

Edit : Also, can we equip ourselfs with gear ? And of not, is it planed ? Since the main char is already the weakest at the moment (no near infinit level)...
You currently cant but soon.

Because characters have individuality I'm sticking with them. And because player's and enemy's characters essentially is the same - it pretty easy to lost character in battle. And without maxed-out characters latest missions is virtually impossible. Which forces to use heavy save scumming.

In PoP characters is even harder to obtain and even more valuable because of breeding. Currently forced save scumming is not the issue, but only because of easiness of battles. So... I have some concerns about it

I actually played battle battle for wesnoth quite a bit, and I think the problem that leads to save scumming (I think I also did it even though I usually never do) is that the player feels justified doing so because:
Rng: It just feels bad losing your most important character, bcause like 9 enemies hit their 10% chance to hit, so you just reload. I don't plan to add much rng
Amount of characters: Having every character act at the same time, then every enemy etc. feels quite unfair if you play like 20 vs 20 and its really easy for the enemy to just attack one of your guys so many times without you having a chance to react (characters have limited spaces for enemies to stand on but because of them countering they may kill attacking enemies and free space for new ones which always feels quite bullshitty).
In PoP I try to make it so every time you lose a character its the players fault, so atleast they learned something from it .
Also in Wesnoth it was really easy to save scum because every turn in battle saves
Fire emblem for example works perfectly fine with permadeath characters even when they are even completely irreplaceable.

klx

Jan 25, 2018
By the way, deadly birdies still are deadly birdies :D
three properly equipped DemonHarpies + main character in form of DemonHarpy can scout 1/3 of map in nonstop mode in 24h.
is it ok?

Last edited:

Maurdakar

Jan 23, 2018
You go man! Looks great, I'm also going to make a turn based tactical someday. I'm ALSO a fan of Battle for Westnoth, and wonder if I would make a tactical game with hexes or isometric squares. You should add an initiative order to the combat IMO otherwise the back and forth style can feel probably more oppressive than you seem to be going for (Fire Emblem is solely back and forth as you surely know).

I hope this continues to flesh out.

Syvaron

Jan 5, 2018
added a mac/linux build
Also added new stuff since the last time I posted here (Lizard + hybrids, Carrying capacity + items are dropped on death on can be picked up again, Maincharacter can use items now, daily logs, changed tavern requests (can now also buy new characters), some small events ...etc.)