Travelling Poet NPC?

Dolphi

Dec 12, 2017
Hi!

I've recently decided to start writing an NPC for the game. This is my first time writing so i don't think it'll be any good, but it's nice to try new things so here i am.

Ill edit my post to add in my basic idea, but i really need to sort one thing out first. Do you need to add character stats to an NPC? If you put in character stats for an NPC, does it allow the use of parsers for that NPC?

Also, is it ok if the NPC im writing spans accross multiple planets?

Im planning for my NPC to be a young travelling poet, travelling the frontier to find inspiration. You'll find items around the map that you can give to her, and she'll write about it. This is all very w.i.p so i'll elaborate on it soon.

Reactions: CleansingFire

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
I like the concept. I hope people can reply your questions.

Miakoda

Nov 4, 2017
Somewhere Somehow
forum.fenoxo.com
Hi!

I've recently decided to start writing an NPC for the game. This is my first time writing so i don't think it'll be any good, but it's nice to try new things so here i am.

Ill edit my post to add in my basic idea, but i really need to sort one thing out first. Do you need to add character stats to an NPC? If you put in character stats for an NPC, does it allow the use of parsers for that NPC?

Also, is it ok if the NPC im writing spans accross multiple planets?

Im planning for my NPC to be a young travelling poet, travelling the frontier to find inspiration. You'll find items around the map that you can give to her, and she'll write about it. This is all very w.i.p so i'll elaborate on it soon.
I don't think it's necessary to have character stats, unless you're planning on allowing the PC to change something about your character. Say, if you could change her hair length, you'd might want to include a stat for that.

NPC's like Erra and Kiro can be encountered on multiple planets (albeit always in a bar), so I don't think there's a real problem with having your NPC travel the galaxy.

The idea sounds nice, and definitely has the potential to make something fantastic. Good luck to ya, my friend.

CleansingFire

Aug 27, 2015
You'll find items around the map that you can give to her, and she'll write about it.

You can save yourself and the coders some work if at least part of the "inspirational items" are already existing ones. E.g. Captain Steele wearing the nanogoo armor may result in a poem about goo girls, etc., etc. You can look at the unique items and key items lists on the wiki for inspiration.

Dolphi

Dec 12, 2017
You can save yourself and the coders some work if at least part of the "inspirational items" are already existing ones. E.g. Captain Steele wearing the nanogoo armor may result in a poem about goo girls, etc., etc. You can look at the unique items and key items lists on the wiki for inspiration.
I've written out the skeleton of what i intend to write, and the "inspirational items" are unique to the planet.

E.g on Mhen'ga, she wants to write 1 poem. You can bring her Zil Honey, Naleen Nip or Kerokoras venom and she'll write a flowery prose about it.

I think she would have 3 different possible poems for each phase of her story, so replays won't be as uniform (I don't mean 1 paragraph changes, i want to write totally different scenes and poems for each item)

Will it be original stuff or are you just gonna scour Google?

It would be original stuff. The poems would be based on the items you bring to her. Hopefully, the poems are good, but i guess thats up to you guys.

I'll try to get a draft out for you all soon.

Dolphi

Dec 12, 2017
For the record, i have not abandoned this.

Ill release the doccument for it once im satisfied with it, but it might be released in a week or so since i have reached 5,000 words and the project is about 1/6 done.