Thief builds

SSSuperEgo

Aug 25, 2018
For the longest time I just spammed black mage, bc I always got absolutely dominated trying any other build. I have read that melee is actually pretty strong now???

(early in the games development anyways, melee was fucking trash iirc)

I would love to try out a proper Thief build - would you guys mind posting some of yours below

I have tried to create an archer build (Frost bow) but the damage is kinda middling

Greyfox643

May 20, 2016
Straight up, my damage skyrocketed when I picked up The Mighty Weeb Sword, from the forest floofs. Getting it is pure RNG unfortunately, as you have to walk into the shopkeeper and wait for her to offer the sword.

It's a 2H weapon that gives accuracy, crit, and a respectable amount of damage. After that you go all in boosting your crit with rings and items.

Next step is to travel with companions that apply debuffs, and watch the numbers just go crazy.

High Cunning is a must for this, statewise.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I would love to try out a proper Thief build - would you guys mind posting some of yours below

Tyria here has been my test character for years. Easily handles everything in the game on Dark difficulty.

Elf Noble Scion
High Strength, Agi, Cunning. Moderate Will.

AW: Heal, until you get Sneak Attack
Rec 1: Shadow Strike
Rec 2: usually either Cleave or Fireball
Encounter: Dastardly Strike, until you get Deadly Shadow
Ult: Assassinate

Currently running a Shield and Spear combo. Twohander thieves are even more devastating (shoutout to Spiral Blade for magic thieves) but that requires a little more aggro management and I'm too lazy, so I hide behind Glorious Rosebloom of Shielding.

That said I'm currently screwing around with Hexblade Cait + Knight Azzy, so Tyria's replaced half of her attack abilities with heals/buffs to make chubby catte go brrt.

The most important thing for a Thief PC to do is party with characters like Priestess Cait, Bronze Arona, or Winter Brint who can drop status effects on enemies fairly regularly. Twist the Knife gives you the best damage output in the game bar none. Pairing attacks like Cleave or Deadly Shadow with companion abilities like Entropic Winds or Sun of Jassira that do AoE Status Effects lets you rip encounters to shreds.

upload_2021-3-25_7-40-30.png

Mad Dog

Jun 1, 2018

Try my build:

Gear:
Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 4.32.56 PM.png

Stats:
Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 4.34.20 PM.png

Powers:
Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 4.37.26 PM.png

If you want to do more damage to groups, switch [Eviscerate] for [Deadly Shadow]

I also use Brienne and Arona as companions. They do a bunch a damage. Try to end fights as soon as possible.

Zen_Zerker

Mar 26, 2019
I have 2 thief builds with similar stat layouts but very different styles. Both have max Strength, Agility, and Cunning.

The first is my Witch Hunter character who uses the Bessy Mauler. He has Arcane Shot for his AW, but I sometimes swap it for Sneak Attack. He also has Quick Shot, an AOE of any choice, devastating Trick, and Assassinate. I run him with Witch Kitty and Fire Cow, but swapping one of those out for someone who puts out more debuffs would up his damage. Really doesn't need it though.

The second is my Grim Slayer setup. He uses the recently released Silver Mask and a scythe. His abilities are Equanimity for insane crit stacking, Cleave, Steady Strike, Deadly Shadow, and Assassinate. I run him with Healer Elf and Ice Bull. He isn't quite as good at plugging single targets as the first build, and there are a couple things that will bog him down, but his AOE damage potential is pure insanity, and I've crit people with steady strike and bless for over 700 damage.

Alfenjeiser02

Jan 1, 2020
If you are interested in Builds that differ from normal, I recommend you (The Images taken from Dark mode)
Magic Swordsman (Stenght, Willpower and Agility) although cunning can be rewarded with items or drinks from Garth
The downside is that you depend on skills that infuse your weapon with magic like Flame Blade that only Kitsunes get, you will have to replace it with Charge Weapon or Naptcha
As a team you can put someone like Kiyoko to debuff the enemies and in my case Arona using her Inspire Wrath + Cleave from my Kitsune I purify everything with fire
Very advisable to equip yourself with Senninbari so as not to fall at the first blow

Reactions: Dayume

Alfenjeiser02

Jan 1, 2020
As always, combine one of your teammates with a debuff to make the most of your Twist the Knife
Second, a hybrid, I don't usually see a lot of a mixture between Toughness and Agility, in my case I wanted something more similar to a Berserker so I made an orc that uses two Franciscas as a double-grip. I think this is the construction that amuses me the most.

If any of the creators see me by chance please more LIGHT weapons other than blades or swords

16524-b8345545b3553a7d1140659fdd3ac3aa.jpg

16525-430fa7f7985f75a5c72d2008141f022c.jpg

Attachments

• 66.PNG
    66.PNG
    790 KB · Views: 233
  • 77.PNG
    77.PNG
    517.2 KB · Views: 242

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
Tyria here has been my test character for years. Easily handles everything in the game on Dark difficulty.

Elf Noble Scion
High Strength, Agi, Cunning. Moderate Will.

AW: Heal, until you get Sneak Attack
Rec 1: Shadow Strike
Rec 2: usually either Cleave or Fireball
Encounter: Dastardly Strike, until you get Deadly Shadow
Ult: Assassinate

Currently running a Shield and Spear combo. Twohander thieves are even more devastating (shoutout to Spiral Blade for magic thieves) but that requires a little more aggro management and I'm too lazy, so I hide behind Glorious Rosebloom of Shielding.

View attachment 16466
That is almost exactly my Thief build. The biggest differences are the Hornet and Lucky Strike Rings and the Balanced Blade.

Malpha

Feb 22, 2016
Just obtained the mask myself, what does it actually do?
Am presuming it buffs the monk techniques you can learn from her but don't use any of them with my Warrior.
That's exactly what it does. Increases the various Stance effects, reduces the recoil on Exertion, increases the party healing from Guidance, and buffs the damage on Influence.

Reactions: James D