The Perfect Party size is four

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Party size being set at 3 is basically a UI-based decision. We need two empty slots (summons and a guest character), and more than five slots on a side makes the character cards way the fuck too small to read. So we settled on 3.

Now you're right, we could replace the summon slot or guest slot, but both of those are going to get used pretty extensively so... it's just more efficient to settle on 3 + 2. Sorry.

Reactions: Lone Wolf115

Shizenhakai

Jul 9, 2016
Party size being set at 3 is basically a UI-based decision. We need two empty slots (summons and a guest character), and more than five slots on a side makes the character cards way the fuck too small to read. So we settled on 3.

Now you're right, we could replace the summon slot or guest slot, but both of those are going to get used pretty extensively so... it's just more efficient to settle on 3 + 2. Sorry.
Mhm, does this mean we can only have 1 summon active?
Or do all summons share a single spot? oô

Also, the perfect party size is 6, as teached by the infinity engine u_u

Nnxx

Feb 3, 2017
Hecc, CoC got its mods, CoC 2 will get its mods to make parties of 999 if you want to.

• Haha

Sifen

Apr 4, 2018
The holy numbers are 3, 5, and 7 with stories such as the three musketeers, the seven deadly sins/heavenly virtues, the five senses, and there being three holy numbers as examples. Another point is that the most people a conversation can hold being three people with any extras becoming auxiliaries that take backstage to fill the gaps... 3 people with two aux (making holy number 5), 6 people forming two groups of three and so on and forth for infinity.

Last edited:

Farlun

Nov 28, 2015
I think it's better to have 2 followers at a time and have a bigger amount of interaction between them than to have more companions who are almost invisible in-game. In the end, having more people means more potential party combinations, dialogue options et cetera. Of course you could leave them out but then their absence would be obvious.

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
So far, design wise, I liken the combat companions to more equipment your PC can have on (like little options in some shump game) then actual combat characters in their own right, based on their general contributions and how much you control them. Having three companions in total would cheapen your impact as the PC, who is still the big cheese and the main show.

Now of course there are technical issues as mentioned and this is more a personal observation, but still.

Nnxx

Feb 3, 2017
given the mess the mods are.
The mods are as messy as the original game is, I still think that the people behind the CoC Revamp mod did a great job and that CoC Revamp is better than CoC. 'Tis a bit rude towards those guys.

Anyway, yeah, I pretty much know CoC2 ain't gonna be modded due to the fact that even if TiTS is open-source, nobody has made a modded version of it. Though my concern is, will you still invite that guy who did CoCEd & TiTSEd and give him access to the code so he can make a CoC2Ed? Because his programs are great and I personally use them a lot.

Shizenhakai

Jul 9, 2016
The mods are as messy as the original game is, I still think that the people behind the CoC Revamp mod did a great job and that CoC Revamp is better than CoC. 'Tis a bit rude towards those guys.

Anyway, yeah, I pretty much know CoC2 ain't gonna be modded due to the fact that even if TiTS is open-source, nobody has made a modded version of it. Though my concern is, will you still invite that guy who did CoCEd & TiTSEd and give him access to the code so he can make a CoC2Ed? Because his programs are great and I personally use them a lot.

As far as I understand, TiTSEd is a CoCEd modification from another person.
Regardless, it won't be possible to port CoCEd to CoC2 since CoC2 is not a flash game.
The most you could do would be to imitate the GUI.
Also, the creation of a savegame editor does not neccessarily need the source code.
You just need to understand the format of the save files and then make a nice GUI to ease access.

Nnxx

Feb 3, 2017
Mmh, right, I forgot there was a change of technology, and yes I know that you only need to understand the formatting of save files, though having access to the source code may provide faster development if you can directly look up how things are saved.

And to be honest, I don't care whether the save editor is a modification from something, as long as it works.. It's just that I'm a filthy cheater and I'd be bummed if there wasn't a save editor for CoC2 :catte:

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
Mmh, right, I forgot there was a change of technology, and yes I know that you only need to understand the formatting of save files, though having access to the source code may provide faster development if you can directly look up how things are saved.

And to be honest, I don't care whether the save editor is a modification from something, as long as it works.. It's just that I'm a filthy cheater and I'd be bummed if there wasn't a save editor for CoC2 :catte:
L2DevConsole

Nnxx

Feb 3, 2017
L2DevConsole
Oh, right, Javascript. Welp, some people might be fine with it, but I believe that many will look like this as they try to learn js to cheat :

upload_2018-4-6_15-20-37.png

EDIT : Yeah ok, the saves are in a JSON format, that will indeed facilitate the matter for creating a save editor. Well, nevermind what I said earlieeeeeeeeeeer, don't even need a save editor if you know what you're doing :catte: Still gotta be careful as the save file is minimized, but that guy from CoCEd should manage, if he ever wants to make a new save editor.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
It's fully possible that, at some point, someone will either whip up a simple program for save editing or just post a detailed method of using the developer console.

It will be a while before it's necessary, though.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
From the stuff in the design doc about alchemy, I do feel like it's likely that there's gonna be much need for save-editing for basic character-building stuff. Though fine-tuning some stats will probably need an editor if getting the stuff going is too annoying.

OatmealNookie

Nov 22, 2016
I realize the thread derailed some time ago.
Regardless, I too once believed a party size of 4, 5, 6, or 8 was ideal, or close to it. 7 is right out, and you shall not count to 9.
Then I was involved in a 20 player mob rampaging across Dantooine early in SWG.
It's probably different with NPC's (unless fenco secretly cracked human level AI), but while comically large groups completely break game balance, they also tend to become more party party than gameplay party, which done right surpasses the fun coefficient of the 4 slot party by a comfortable margin.

I should probably clarify that I'm referring to massively oversized base level groups, not upper level hierarchies of groups like raids that are actually designed for the party size.
I now return you to your regularly scheduled nonsense.

lisle

Apr 6, 2018
I think 4-5 is the right size for good interparty chemistry if you're going to have group conversations frequently but as far as combat mechanics is concerned the depth you get from a larger party matters more with more tactical systems where there's positioning and/or very specialized roles. For games where you're mostly just hitting attack skills and occasionally switching to a heal/shield if you're about to die combat doesn't change much with party size; in fact with games where there's not positioning or very powerful tanking skillsets large encounters actually lose tactical depth because focusing raw damage from many characters to eliminate an opponent every turn is usually much more powerful than utilizing other mechanics.

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
I mean if you want to be technical the perfect party size for a JRPG-style of game is six, as proved by such things as Tale of Bersersia.

This isn't that kinda game tho

Reactions: Nnxx