The other Spacesuit

Irrlicht

Oct 31, 2017
I am just wondering, why can one not spacewalk with the 'Trash Armor', with is actually a antique, but given its airtightness and all probably fully functional, Spacesuit?

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
I am just wondering, why can one not spacewalk with the 'Trash Armor', with is actually a antique, but given its airtightness and all probably fully functional, Spacesuit?
Realistically speaking, it's systems have likely been damaged beyond repair. I doubt that it would even be able to be sealed.

Irrlicht

Oct 31, 2017
Propped up on an unseen stand or mannequin, you could have easily mistaken this “armor” for a vending machine or a rather bulky trash can. The dull gray metal resembles a humanoid shape, the limbs looking surprisingly mobile for all its blockiness from the crude-looking metallic slabs. Still, despite the recycled materials, it looks immaculately crafted, not so much of a single weld line visible as if the armor itself was molded this way. Aurora had every right to be beaming proudly beside it as she presented it, despite being the one who named it.

“It’s a metal suit! You just wiggle on in it, and you’re protected from just about everything! ...Well, maybe a thousand years ago, but you’re still pretty well off! The joints move just fine, but it’s really heavy! You can’t really go anywhere fast, and you’re probably going to fall over a bunch, and it’s going to be pretty bad on your back, but... It works! And it’s padded inside, too, so it’s pretty comfortable! Sorta. Kinda. It’s not all metal!”

It’s pretty ghetto, but you’re not exactly in a primetime weapons dealer, either. It’s big enough that no raskvel could fit in it, certainly, and Aurora doesn’t really even have arms - no one in the Novahome had any hope of using it, just “upstart adventurers” like you. It looks like it had a surprising amount of effort put into it, you certainly aren’t getting ripped off with it.

Nothing about it being not functional and Aurora would probably not even try selling anything that does not work.
We speak about the kid that made a raygun out of a toygun and trys to sell you a small hoverpod, that is basicly a fully functional escapepod.

I do not exactly need to have this suit circumvent the whole quest (even trough it would be nice, since one needs to remember that this medicore pice of equipment, that is optional, no less, even existed), but I would like it at least to be noted when you wear it and the Spacewalk-Option exists.
Maybe something about 'You doubt that its airsupply would be enogth' or 'It connectors do not fit the bottles laying arround here, seems like you need a different suit.'

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
Can you spacewalk whilst wearing Nova transformed into a spacesuit? Probably not. No oxygen tanks. Though she could just suck in a bunch of air and make an air bladder, or something

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
I would imagine that the Trash Armour, while theoretically capable of going on a spacewalk, is so patch-worked that no one in their right mind would actually use it for that. Maybe in an absolute emergency, the kind where you're going to die either way, you might use the Trash Armour, but only in that kind of situation.

I would compare Trash Armour to the Raider version of Power Armour in Fallout 4. Yeah, it protects, but there's gaps all over the armour, the head piece is a wielders mask or something and its a hodge podge of scrap metal attached to the frame. So would you go for a walk under water with that kind of armour?

Going back to the Trash Armour, it's probably a case that the various sources of material to "improve" the armour aren't themselves space ready.

Now, with regards to Nova - The average person breathes in between 7 to 8 litres of air every minute. So suppose a spacewalk takes 10 minutes, Steele would need approximately 70 to 80 litres of air, about the size of a small wheelie bin. That would be kind of awkward to move around with, right? There's also the problem of dealing with the byproduct of breathing in air, carbon dioxide. Is Nova going to carry an airscrubber as well? Nova as a spacesuit would be kind of the same situation as using the Trash Armour, a last resort type of use.

Irrlicht

Oct 31, 2017
Well, while I see the loical reason why not to use it, it would be nice if they get entioned when there, just as a pice of fluff for the adventures Steele that tougth outside the box.

Raindrops

Jun 19, 2016
Nothing about it being not functional and Aurora would probably not even try selling anything that does not work.

It works *as armor*, but not necessarely as a spacesuit. Why would she bother making it a functional spacesuit when that's largely uneccesary in the modern world, where most space travel happen in pressurized ships, and the ones that do need spacesuits can likely get far superior ones for cheap? Might as well make it sturdy so it can take a beating

Run That Fade

Jul 25, 2018
"The Azure Armstrong Space Suit is a blue outfit with an apparatus on the top that creates a bubble-like force field. The suit itself leaves little to the imagination, with its skin-tight, ultra-stretchy fabric, designed to both accentuate your form and act as a barrier from the elements. On the back sits a medium pack that creates a breathable environment and houses proprietary defense box technology. The Azure version bolsters existing shields against certain temperature-based phenomena."
It isn't exposed just skin tight.

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
"The Azure Armstrong Space Suit is a blue outfit with an apparatus on the top that creates a bubble-like force field. The suit itself leaves little to the imagination, with its skin-tight, ultra-stretchy fabric, designed to both accentuate your form and act as a barrier from the elements. On the back sits a medium pack that creates a breathable environment and houses proprietary defense box technology. The Azure version bolsters existing shields against certain temperature-based phenomena."
It isn't exposed just skin tight.
My bad, only the Premium is Fully Exposed. So I guess they could be used.

moobere

May 19, 2017
Take a deep breath...
When i think of the armstong suits i think of the Oz kits in Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, they create a barrier of oxygen than last from 50 seconds-5 minutes. Even though in design they look very redundant on the players on scavs (bad guys) they would wear a sealed suit in atmosphere but when stepping into a vaccum the oz kit would spring into action creating a helmet of oxygen.

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
Those have exposed naughty-bits, the bits I'm sure everyone least desires to have at -273°C.
The -273 isn't much of an issue, anyways. Most heat loss is via convection which requires something like an atmosphere or liquid and we radiate heat too poorly for that to matter. If anything the issue would be the lack of a pressurized area around the exposed bits. Burst capillaries, uncomfortable swelling, etc.