The Curiosity Club [Monster of the Week]

HeroicSpirit

Aug 22, 2019
Located on the Oregon Coast, the town of Steelhead is a lovely place to visit; formerly a fishing town, it has slowly been converted into a tourist trap as the years go by; mostly, people come to visit to appreciate nature, spend time with the colorful locals, eat at the fish and chips shack, and, of course, go out and do some fishing themselves. It is an American darling, and lovely on the eyes.

Of course, there is a darker side to it-there have been some people who have mysteriously disappeared around the town, with little knowledge of how or why; many people suspect that there is a gang afoot in the area, but the police so far have been unable to find anything that would direct to that; very rarely are shells or casings found, and those that are found invariably belong to the person who disappeared rather than any assailant. With such little evidence, they can do very little indeed...
———————————————
Welcome to Steelhead, and to the Curiosty Club!

To start out, let’s answer the question: what is Monster of the Week? Well, it’s an Powered by the Apocalypse (PbtA) system game created by Evil Hat Productions where you play as monster hunters in the modern day, like in shows such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Supernatural, X-Files, and more.

And just like in those shows, you’ll not only have to stop monsters, but also try to keep the secret from getting out, unless you want Bad Stuff to happen!

For a general overview on how the PtbA games usually works, click here.

For more information on Monster of the Week, click here.

For more examples of games with this system, click here.

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
Hmm. Could you teach the system? I'd be willing to make a character and give it a shot, even if I prefer straight writing.

HeroicSpirit

Aug 22, 2019
Hmm. Could you teach the system? I'd be willing to make a character and give it a shot, even if I prefer straight writing.
Well, in the PbtA system, rather then the GM rolling the dice, the player does, taking actions to which the GM responds. The player rolls 2d6+the appropriate modifier and the result they get determines how well it good. Usually, it goes as follows: a 10-12 is a complete success, a 7-9 is a mixed success, and a 6 or less is a failure. If you manage to roll higher than 12, you get an advanced success, usually allowing the player to do something extra.

Of course, that's the basic, mechanical perspective. I'd advice listening to a podcast featuring it, such as the Adventure Zone Amnesty, which happens to use this specific game.

Also, another part is that the initial session is more or less for setup.