[Suggestion] Renaming the Ideas subforum to avoid spam and off-topic

Thebiologist

Jun 24, 2017
75% of the threads there are made by people who don't know what the ideas subforum is for because they didn't read the sticky "What the Idea Subforum Is For".

I think that's mainly because of the subforum's name. "Ideas subforum" just sounds like the kind of place to make casual suggestions for other people to write and code.

Renaming it to Writers feedback subforum, WIP feedback or something along the lines, might help with that problem.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
Sounds okay on paper but... there will always be people who will STILL post ideas and stuff in the wrong place or in the case of these forums shitpost like no tomorrow. I know from experience in running a forum with nearly exactly the same idea. Plain and simple of it is and I've said it here before on these forums. People are fucking lazy.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
But then it stops being a tutorial on "How to Read Stickies" brought to you by Pavlovian punishments.

In all seriousness though, I think I'd rather also create a new subforum that *is* for people posting their dumb ideas.

Reactions: ShySquare

Freed85

Aug 31, 2015
But then it stops being a tutorial on "How to Read Stickies" brought to you by Pavlovian punishments.

In all seriousness though, I think I'd rather also create a new subforum that *is* for people posting their dumb ideas.

I mean some time's throwing random ideas at the wall can help even if their dumb.

Regardless renaming the subforum and adding another just for random ideas sounds like a good plan.

Reactions: zelda_fan6284

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015

Isn't that what this forum is for? We really don't need more subs for a community this small.

Deffo in favour of Ideas getting renamed, though.

Galgano

Aug 28, 2015
Here's the thing though. Until they're told, people don't think their idea is dumb, silly, or stupid. So having a "dumb ideas" board will probably have low traffic because that would require people admitting to themselves that their idea is dumb. Now that's not to say that everyone thinks like that, some people get random ideas in their head and want to throw it at a wall to see if anyone else can run with it. In that case, people would be more likely to post in the new subforum. Also, I think people just want to be seen providing an idea in a place that the creator users frequent in hopes that their idea is one that can solve a writer's block situation. Then they can feel good about themselves and give a pat on the back. Or that could just be me being cynical.

Reactions: zelda_fan6284

Klaptrap

Aug 27, 2015
We don't need a new board. The Event Submissions board can take over the feedback & criticism and all of the "helpful suggestions" can go into the oubliette that is the idea board. This is already how it works most of the time, just not officially.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
So having a "dumb ideas" board will probably have low traffic because that would require people admitting to themselves that their idea is dumb.
It's a bit like how people won't play in "easy mode", right? If that's the case, we could give them names like "pitched ideas" and "undeveloped concepts". Not that it would stop people from posting on a wrong subforum (e.g. mistaking it for "Event Subsmissions).. Take it from someone who runs two "Answers" wikis and people won't pay attention to the big fat "Read the tutorial before posting" message that's always shown right in the beginning of any given page.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
Here's the thing though. Until they're told, people don't think their idea is dumb, silly, or stupid. So having a "dumb ideas" board will probably have low traffic because that would require people admitting to themselves that their idea is dumb. Now that's not to say that everyone thinks like that, some people get random ideas in their head and want to throw it at a wall to see if anyone else can run with it. In that case, people would be more likely to post in the new subforum. Also, I think people just want to be seen providing an idea in a place that the creator users frequent in hopes that their idea is one that can solve a writer's block situation. Then they can feel good about themselves and give a pat on the back. Or that could just be me being cynical.
How about an "ideas" section and a "submissions" section, then?

Lancer

Nov 1, 2016
On a slightly off-topic note, I think changing the name of Events Submissions to just "Submissions", would be a good idea, as many things are submitted that are not events, making the purpose of the forum slightly unclear.

Reactions: ShySquare and Keto

Galgano

Aug 28, 2015
Heh, I could see the Combat Balance & Game Mechanics Feedback forum having no less than 3 threads with people all arguing about how much they agree with one another. They think they're saying different things, but when you take a step back, they're all saying the exact same thing over and over again.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
Heh, I could see the Combat Balance & Game Mechanics Feedback forum having no less than 3 threads with people all arguing about how much they agree with one another. They think they're saying different things, but when you take a step back, they're all saying the exact same thing over and over again.
*Glares silently at those that already complain constantly about classes and weapon balance as is*

Zavos

May 7, 2016
I sense a disturbance in the force.

For what its worth, I've given up on tech. Don't expect any more tech balance crap from me in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Keto

Jun 19, 2017
Thought:

Community Submissions
>Subforum: Workshop & New Projects
>Subforum: Implemented Projects

Community Ideas
>Subforum: Combat Balance & Game Mechanics Feedback
Would it be better to change workshop and new projects to just WIP?

Theoretically this would make the submissions main forum for just submitted entries.