Steele Biomedical Deepsea Research Facility [SUBMITTED]

Number13

Aug 26, 2015
Looks good. I'd definitely be interested in this.

Maybe you could find some unique resource contained within the facility that was left behind that can get you a lot of credits.

Lashcharge

Aug 27, 2015
For rewards all I can think off right now is a transformative derived from the Janeria created by Dr. Lessau. Maybe Steele can bring him a sample?

I can't help but feel terrible for Typhon regardless.

Poor Typhon

EmperorG

Sep 6, 2015
Interesting take on the research facility, sort of reminds me of that Resident Evil movie with the crazy AI, Red Alice or something? I'm pretty sure it was the first Resident Evil movie.

I like the choice of what to do with Typhon (and yeesh the jellies did a number on him), also nice to see more upgrade's for everyone's favorite goo armor.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
Hmmm... could swear on the old forums this was once known as the Xenogen deepsea research facility... then again there hasn't been any real Steeletech facilities put into the game, besides the outpost on Tarkus.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Hmmm... could swear on the old forums this was once known as the Xenogen deepsea research facility... then again there hasn't been any real Steeletech facilities put into the game, besides the outpost on Tarkus.

Gardeford started to write a Xenogen facility some time ago, but abandoned the project.  This left us with the research shaft empty, so I wrote this for it.

Fully Automated

Oct 11, 2015
Could get some drone add-on from beating the mainframe, if only because both standard drone and upgraded Tam-wolf deal Electricity damage, which heals the aliens.

argenten

Sep 9, 2015
I'm torn between giving Typhon to Dr. Lessau or killing him. On the one hand, when you find him, in that space death would be the best he could hope for...but that also puts his request into questionable awareness, maybe Dr. Lessau can get some programmer (or w/e the title is for a A.I. mind healer) and help Typhon recover. All of this is dependent on where Couch wants to go, but this is where I saw possibilities. 

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
I'm torn between giving Typhon to Dr. Lessau or killing him. On the one hand, when you find him, in that space death would be the best he could hope for...but that also puts his request into questionable awareness, maybe Dr. Lessau can get some programmer (or w/e the title is for a A.I. mind healer) and help Typhon recover. All of this is dependent on where Couch wants to go, but this is where I saw possibilities. 

At the moment I don't have planned routes for either decision.  It's provided as a moral quandary for the player: if you're conflicted, it means I did something right.

argenten

Sep 9, 2015
At the moment I don't have planned routes for either decision.  It's provided as a moral quandary for the player: if you're conflicted, it means I did something right.

Awesome! That actually adds to the enjoyment of the scenario, that we are left wondering if we did the right thing as there is just so little information and we really have to make an intuitive/emotional decision. 

Number13

Aug 26, 2015

I like this as well. There is a lack of these type of choices in TiTS, where we have no knowledge what our choices will have in the future and won't be known either ever or after the games ending.

TheInfamousImmortal

Aug 27, 2015

And did it right you did, I just really hope that you do consider the idea of what argenten presented in the future cause it would be cool to re-encounter typhon all fixed up.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Added a new drop from beating Typhon, a laser attachment for your attack drone if you're a drone tech.  This mostly exists to keep them from getting fucked over by Janeria's electricity absorption.

Fully Automated

Oct 11, 2015
I was going to point out that all lasers in the game deal both Electric and Burning damage, but KQ2's Security Droids only deal Burning, so I guess that's a thing now.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
I'll be honest that I've never really seen drones as being something that was useful outside of like, the first level you get them. Plus the replacement drones do take up the accessory slot, which I'd very much prefer to use for pretty much anything else.

Fully Automated

Oct 11, 2015
Drones aren't too bad as a minor DoT that doesn't care what you're doing (2 Phys techie struggling in Nyrea's net). The huge shield boost is admittedly way better.

Still, there's a difference between "not that useful" and "actively helping the enemy" (which is what the standard drone would do with the electricity-healing medusoids).

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
Did you choose all laser configuration for Typhon turrets for any particular reason? It might be a good idea to deversify or simply change the damage type, because a decent chunk, if not the majority of the players will have upgraded Goo Armour by that point.

Also, despite the FF picture in the docs, Parasite Eve flashbacks were real while reading it (and Lessau stuff in general).

NovaEclipse

Sep 7, 2015
I was thinking more of SOMA as I read it, cuz that was the FIRST THING I thought of when I saw "Bio(medical) Deepsea Research Facility).  If the Janeria ended up turning the facility staff into blobs of flesh, jelly, and metal...I would be NOPE-ing RIGHT the fuck on out of there.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
I've added what's basically a placeholder reward for the moment, which is enough to make this complete and submitted.  I'd like to have something more interesting like a new ship, but we don't have the mechanical backing yet to let me do that.

TheInfamousImmortal

Aug 27, 2015
Hey Couch, like argenten had given the idea awhile ago, is it possible that we'll be able to see Typhon again if we choose to give him to the Doctor in the future or no?

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
And like I already said a while ago, I have no plans to continue that story in either direction at this time, though I may in the future.  It is presented as a moral choice for the player.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
I've added a new reward to this quest, a TF item which provides some similar features to the janeria.  This includes a second type of cockwing beyond those provided by Cerespirin, since Nonesuch mentioned wanting that, and a way to trade stats for Willpower gain.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
I've added a new reward to this quest, a TF item which provides some similar features to the janeria.  This includes a second type of cockwing beyond those provided by Cerespirin, since Nonesuch mentioned wanting that, and a way to trade stats for Willpower gain.

That's great news, and as one of a very few powerful Psionic enemies you encounter, Janeria Prime is a good candidate for unlocking such an item. One thinv I must note: the text for the stats shift is worded in such a way that it implies Intelligence growth rather than Willpower growth, IMO. Maybe make it do both at the expense of both Physique and Reflexes?

Last edited by a moderator: