SSTD's (Cast your votes)

Just a counter as to how large the SSTD seeker population is.

• Want

Votes: 64 48.5%
  • Don't want

Votes: 32 24.2%
  • Meh...

Votes: 36 27.3%

• Total voters

Preacher

Nov 22, 2016
The most holiest of grounds
So what happened to the whole SSTD(sexy sexually transmitted disease) thing?

There was a load of activity about it a while ago and now no one talks about it anymore. Was it the idea of potential forced TF's or was it something else?

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
They ain't in yet and/or abandoned.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
SSTDs were promised as a backing incentive. If my memory is what it used to be, the idea behind them was that of Steele being warned about them after planet landing, catching them, and getting rid of them at Nursedroid stations before "symptoms" (i.e. transformations) finally manifested in Steele's body.

Being something backers paid for back then, they'll be included in the game. When will they go live? No one knows.

Klaptrap

Aug 27, 2015
Nobody actually wanted to do SSTDs so @Couch jumped on this grenade and wrote one so they can technically say they've got SSTDs and stop thinking about it. Maybe it's in the game yet, maybe not, but either way I wouldn't expect much more along the lines of SSTDs or forced tfs.

Preacher

Nov 22, 2016

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
>must
Ok.

Preacher

Nov 22, 2016

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Nice. Now I play the waiting game.

I think not in this year it may happen. Unless they deal with ships and alternative planet (I not know if alt planet mean having it mostly done or like Uveto is now with some part of content for it added) so soon. Alternatively they can put SSTD on workbench somewhere between not after those other two offbeatr pledges.

Milkman

Aug 28, 2015
>must
Ok.

Must, but only cause at this point it's essentially a legal requirement or else Fen could potentially get sued for false advertising due to having offered it as an offbeater reward. Unlike the SSTDs If I recall correctly he used a lot more non-committal language when mentioning the possibility of adding a character viewer hence why he's been able to safely backtrack from that promise.

Heh the lesson of the story is "When advertising crowdfunded projects make sure to use lots of weasle words!" lol

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
Fen could potentially get sued for false advertising due to having offered it as an offbeater reward.

37655e5bb61f6d50490d01664f3494d0.png

...A-Are you sure you're not new to the whole offbeatr/kickstarter/patreon culture?

Look guys I'm sorry I said anything, jeez. D:

Last edited:

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
SSTDs are probably a late game thing if I'm gonna predict on when they come around.
Lots of people hate the whole forced TF thing but I'm gonna see how Fen handles them before I join the hate train, I feel like they're one of those very minor things that could add a little more to the game.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Frankly even if Fen add it like 3-5 years after start of work it will count as long it will be before he call TiTS finished. So let hope it will not be one of last updates at least that would add them ^^

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
Must, but only cause at this point it's essentially a legal requirement or else Fen could potentially get sued for false advertising due to having offered it as an offbeater reward.
I don't know the background legalese bullshit that goes with Offbeatr and other crowdfunding webshites, but I know that if I ever backed anything (and I won't, ever) I would take it with a grain of salt, even if it's legally binding.

Reactions: RanmaChan

Milkman

Aug 28, 2015
I don't know the background legalese bullshit that goes with Offbeatr and other crowdfunding webshites, but I know that if I ever backed anything (and I won't, ever) I would take it with a grain of salt, even if it's legally binding.

Well yeah that's the best approach but with how sue happy Americans are. I wouldn't trust random strangers to be that reasonable.

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
SSTDs are probably a late game thing if I'm gonna predict on when they come around.
Lots of people hate the whole forced TF thing but I'm gonna see how Fen handles them before I join the hate train, I feel like they're one of those very minor things that could add a little more to the game.
The way I see it, what with the whole ease-of-access to fix TF's, even if random, and the planned simplicity of fixing SSTDs they shouldn't really be a problem unless you forget/ignore them. The Treatment, Leithan Charm, and Fox/Frostfire are in a way "forced" TFing effects as they are a one time application but transform over a long time until completely transformed. A player might actually forget they have these effects if they have gone away for a while, only to be surprised when a TF occurs. Two of those can be nullified by taking appropriate measures, just as SSTDs will be fixable, and no one complains about these. Yes, the players don't choose to get the SSTDs like the above stated TFs,that is an issue for some, but when you think how similar they are promised/planned in how they work to other things, worrying about them seems a bit trivial.

Reactions: Ormael

Lancer

Nov 1, 2016
The way I see it, what with the whole ease-of-access to fix TF's, even if random, and the planned simplicity of fixing SSTDs they shouldn't really be a problem unless you forget/ignore them. The Treatment, Leithan Charm, and Fox/Frostfire are in a way "forced" TFing effects as they are a one time application but transform over a long time until completely transformed. A player might actually forget they have these effects if they have gone away for a while, only to be surprised when a TF occurs. Two of those can be nullified by taking appropriate measures, just as SSTDs will be fixable, and no one complains about these. Yes, the players don't choose to get the SSTDs like the above stated TFs,that is an issue for some, but when you think how similar they are promised/planned in how they work to other things, worrying about them seems a bit trivial.
Players won't choose to get SSTDs, and the TFs you mentioned are strictly voluntary. That's a big difference. Something that requires consent is wildly different from something that does not, and similar working mechanisms for the two are irrelevant to that. Worrying about it is not at all trivial, as SSTDs will probably be doing things to the PC that the player may not want, but for any of those three TFs, the player signed up for it's effects.

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
Players won't choose to get SSTDs, and the TFs you mentioned are strictly voluntary. That's a big difference. Something that requires consent is wildly different from something that does not, and similar working mechanisms for the two are irrelevant to that. Worrying about it is not at all trivial, as SSTDs will probably be doing things to the PC that the player may not want, but for any of those three TFs, the player signed up for it's effects.
And I addressed more than the similarity in that they won't be hard to get rid of nor easy to pass unnoticed. All the talk about them that I can remember is that there will be a window where symptoms are reported for you to have ample amount of time to fix/cure them. Again, yes they are not chosen by will, but they are also only a "problem" if you actively ignore them / leave them be.

Milkman

Aug 28, 2015
And I addressed more than the similarity in that they won't be hard to get rid of nor easy to pass unnoticed. All the talk about them that I can remember is that there will be a window where symptoms are reported for you to have ample amount of time to fix/cure them. Again, yes they are not chosen by will, but they are also only a "problem" if you actively ignore them / leave them be.

Yeah it's sorta like contracting vampirism in skyrim. It's so easy to get it cured before the infection advances too far that by the time you become a vampire it's pretty clear that it was an intentional decision on the player's part.

Reactions: Shin Majin

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
I don't get what the big deal is, beyond having to write for them.

I think some of you guys are thinking of them as actual grotesque diseases. I always thought they'd just be status effects that caused things like +Lust and the like.

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
I always thought they'd just be status effects that caused things like +Lust and the like.
From what I am currently aware of, unless something has recently changed, that's how they are intended to function--basically timed status effects that give various changes at certain time intervals and can be cured via medical centers. I'm sure once these are implemented, there can be possible temporary or permanent "vaccines" to help with preventing unwanted influence of an SSTD.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
The Treatment, Leithan Charm, and Fox/Frostfire are in a way "forced" TFing effects as they are a one time application but transform over a long time until completely transformed.
[...]
Yes, the players don't choose to get the SSTDs like the above stated TFs,that is an issue for some, but when you think how similar they are promised/planned in how they work to other things, worrying about them seems a bit trivial.

Hmm that line of thoughts...got some charm. Like we actualy already getting SSTD-like tf items smuggled into the game by the backdoor ^^

Galgano

Aug 28, 2015
The stat-affecting route is probably the safest to do. If we get any forced-TF SSTD's Steele would have to wear a condom when having sex with everyone or else you'll have to turn every recurring character you can have sex with into a Steele blob. Or you would have to say that Steele has the weakest immune system and nanomedbots in the universe and no one else can contract these diseases. I think that right there, over adding more forced TFs, would be the biggest deterrent for writing that particular type of SSTD. If it just affects stats, well not many people you can have sex with are in fights (and if they are, you are only able to have sex with them after the fight), so modifying their stats with sex won't "affect" them.

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
To avoid annoyance and invasive-ness, I would make the assumption that the frequency in which an SSTD is contracted would be rare (like picking up a mind-controlling tentacle egg), but in-universe the "disease" is well known and easy to cure. When the disease is contracted, because of nanomachines, there should be ample forewarning to the player before any symptoms start to show (for example: "Your codex beeps and informs you that you have recently contracted the Pony Pox SSTD. Go to the nearest medical center to get treated or symptoms will show within 7 days."). In any case, the disease should not take away a large portion of player agency.

Not all SSTDs should be punishing or crippling to the player--they can be temporary buffs or can be purely cosmetic if it is written as such; or they can fluctuate between buffs and debuffs depending on the stage of the disease--so that is really up to the author in that respect.