"Souls" like games and heavy armour.

Garn

May 30, 2016
So I have been playing a fair amount of Nioh and Dark Souls of late and I have noticed a trend. Souls like games seem to hate heavy armour. In both Niog and DS3 heavy armour is a liability and not worth the investment, although DS3 seems to have the bigger grudge. In DS2 heavy armour worked fine but in DS1 while it was doable it was sub-optimal.

So then two questions: As noted these are the only soul like games I have played so I would like to know if this trend continues across the board.
Second why do you think that the soul like games hate heavy armour so much.

Kei

Aug 29, 2015
DS1 in heavy is suboptimal? Havels lost your mind?

I personally never played Nioh and I do think they overdid it in DS3 but the idea is that armor protects you from things armor would protect you in real life. Think maybe a few sword blows or some arrows. There is no armor ever designed to protect you against a giant enemy wielding a weapon the size of a tree which is quite prevalent in those kinds of games.

Reactions: ThatOneJester

Garn

May 30, 2016
That idea would be fine in a game where you didn't need to sink stats into using armour. When I am running around with arms and armour forged of magical materials and having sunk several dozen levels into been able to use said armour without fat rolling I would expect it to work. I don't think its that much of a stretch to give me viable heavy armour when I can up my strength score to the point you can one hand weapons that a demon king needs to to use. The community seems divided on if Dark Souls 1 heavy armour is worth it but it seems most think sticking to medium unless you plan on using certain slow attack weapons is best. This also matches my personal experience; perhaps yours is different.