Some mechanical design ideas.

Shirobaka98

Jan 21, 2019
1. I think it would be a nice feature if you could make the character start out without being a virgin. It makes it slight awkward if you want to play a playboy/playgirl . It's has probably already been though about though.

2. A "hardcore" version would also be fun to play. Though it has to be saved sometimes. I'm thinking about a system where it automatically saves the game at certain points. Like after a conversation has ended or after some special events, and in the process deletes/overwrites all other earlier saves. This could maybe be a drag on the game and the computer though. I wanted such a feature because I simply can't resist saving and reloading before major events to get better results even though I know I would probably enjoy playing the game more seriously.

That's about it, it's an awesome game overall!

Preacher

Nov 22, 2016
The most holiest of grounds
Space race mode:
An option at the start for every character that will induce a time limit to reach each probe and slightly increase the difficulty of enemies. You have three days to reach the M'henga probe, 4 for Tarkus', indefinite for Myrelion(cousin is captured), 6 for whatever's next, so on and so forth. Time limit changes based on condition of cousin at that point of the story. Fail any one of these and you get a special bad end. A challenge mode, if you will.

Honestly I wonder why they didn't put something like this into the game at the start when it would have been easier. Have the option for the game to actually feel like a race, but also allow players to opt out of that and enjoy the game's content at their leisure. Perhaps it didn't cross anyone's mind.

Reactions: Jongeedubs

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
That's not a perk, that's a permanent debuff.

Reactions: ShySquare

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Okay, but from a gameplay standpoint, would a survival mode actually work in a text game?
Quick show of hands - how many people normally skip long blocks of text, because they've probably read them several times before? How many people are going to notice "You feel a quite thirsty. You should have a drink." at the end of a page?
Not to mention travelling is the bane of survival games. Want to go from Tavros to Zhang Shi? You got enough supplies so you don't starve to death?

Its a game about space, shooting alien monsters and luvvin' some alien hotties. Let's leave it at that.

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
i agree but this game is simplistic enough for me to want it
My Steele has about half a billion galactic credits. The banal repetitiveness of having to eat/drink just doesn't seem to have any appeal when food is not scarce nor difficult to obtain.

It would be like turning on survival mode in Fallout: food and water is so plentiful in every modern Fallout (especially FO4) game that all survival mode does is force you into a series of tasks that don't really add anything to the overall experience. Find me one player that has ever died of thirst or starved to death playing survival mode.

Your idea is bad and you should feel bad for suggesting it.

Shirobaka98

Jan 21, 2019
How did this go from me wanting the "reload save" game feature to be useless to a discussion on survival mode. I did really like the idea of a time based race though.

Crablord

Jan 18, 2016
Your idea is bad and you should feel bad for suggesting it.
well thats a bit mean
i want what i want and if it was there you wouldn't have to use it

half a billion galactic credits
ideally a hard mode would make you earn less money, to the point where you actually need to consider how you spend things, and said hard mode changes would be in the survival

How did this go from me wanting the "reload save" game feature to be useless to a discussion on survival mode. I did really like the idea of a time based race though.
you said hardcore mode

Xarit

Feb 19, 2019
Okay, but from a gameplay standpoint, would a survival mode actually work in a text game?
Quick show of hands - how many people normally skip long blocks of text, because they've probably read them several times before? How many people are going to notice "You feel a quite thirsty. You should have a drink." at the end of a page?
Not to mention travelling is the bane of survival games. Want to go from Tavros to Zhang Shi? You got enough supplies so you don't starve to death?

Its a game about space, shooting alien monsters and luvvin' some alien hotties. Let's leave it at that.

could be properly set on by doing some changes in the GUI and reducing the size of the current resource bars. Hunger and Thirst would probably reduce overtime and you would be able to see them change, it would give some reason to carry food in the inventory as you can pretty much bypass it atm by just Resting. eating should be the main source of energy, rest/sleep should be to evade suffering fatigue (a reduction in max amount of energy and health?) which would mean you couldnt stay indefinetly in the outside of the cities without returning for supplies after a while.

Vadue

Feb 25, 2019
Space race mode:
An option at the start for every character that will induce a time limit to reach each probe and slightly increase the difficulty of enemies. You have three days to reach the M'henga probe, 4 for Tarkus', indefinite for Myrelion(cousin is captured), 6 for whatever's next, so on and so forth. Time limit changes based on condition of cousin at that point of the story. Fail any one of these and you get a special bad end. A challenge mode, if you will.

Honestly I wonder why they didn't put something like this into the game at the start when it would have been easier. Have the option for the game to actually feel like a race, but also allow players to opt out of that and enjoy the game's content at their leisure. Perhaps it didn't cross anyone's mind.

The problem with such time limits is it will lead to players rushing through the game. Given how long it takes for some events to happen (up to 6000 in game hours for certain pregnancies) this will have players miss out on significant portions of the game in such a 'race mode'. Honestly TiTs is less about the destination and more about the journey, and that's how most people play it.

Reactions: Kesil