Shield Progression

MosAnted

Aug 11, 2018
Going through the early stages of the game made me notice something regarding shield generators: There's a significant gap in between being able to get a Basic shield (JoyCo Decent, available from V-ko in Esbeth) and the next "reliable" upgrade (Emmy's/Vi's Shields in Mirellion). (By reliable I mean one that's just available for purchase through credits, and not gated behind RNG). I realized my Decent generator getting long in the tooth being the main issue of "my Drone is down half the fucking time" that seems to plague Drone Techs in the early game (Shield Tech's insane bonuses allow them to skirt this issue).

While it's possible to get a Hammer Shield on Tarkus as a drop from sexbots, it's still RNG-based and a particularly unlucky player could be SOL. Another option as an intermediate upgrade would be the JoyCo Premium, but that's only available after "failing" the Stellar Tether quest, arguably the main content you'd want an upgraded shield for. (I believe it's also possible to get one in Saendra's distress call, but again that's RNG-based IIRC and it's possible to get to Trakus without triggering that encounter). The only other one could be the Improvised generator but that's currently impossible to get.

I would suggest making the Improved generator and/or the Premium one available from Shekka/Anno for purchase in Novahome respectively, so players coming into Tarkus for the second leg on the quest can have a reliable upgrade away from the early shields until they can reach Myrellion.

Reactions: Jongeedubs

moobere

May 19, 2017
Going through the early stages of the game made me notice something regarding shield generators: There's a significant gap in between being able to get a Basic shield (JoyCo Decent, available from V-ko in Esbeth) and the next "reliable" upgrade (Emmy's/Vi's Shields in Mirellion). (By reliable I mean one that's just available for purchase through credits, and not gated behind RNG). I realized my Decent generator getting long in the tooth being the main issue of "my Drone is down half the fucking time" that seems to plague Drone Techs in the early game (Shield Tech's insane bonuses allow them to skirt this issue).

While it's possible to get a Hammer Shield on Tarkus as a drop from sexbots, it's still RNG-based and a particularly unlucky player could be SOL. Another option as an intermediate upgrade would be the JoyCo Premium, but that's only available after "failing" the Stellar Tether quest, arguably the main content you'd want an upgraded shield for. (I believe it's also possible to get one in Saendra's distress call, but again that's RNG-based IIRC and it's possible to get to Trakus without triggering that encounter). The only other one could be the Improvised generator but that's currently impossible to get.

I would suggest making the Improved generator and/or the Premium one available from Shekka/Anno for purchase in Novahome respectively, so players coming into Tarkus for the second leg on the quest can have a reliable upgrade away from the early shields until they can reach Myrellion.
There are ways 2 get more shields that aren't RnG.

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
Huh. I keep forgetting people play differently than I do. I tend to hit level 10 before I even land on Myrellion, thus I am pretty much guaranteed a Hammer shield drop on Tarkus since I wind up farming the local populace there before I head to Uveto.

MosAnted

Aug 11, 2018
There are ways 2 get more shields that aren't RnG.

If you read my post I already addressed those and why they're less than ideal.

Huh. I keep forgetting people play differently than I do. I tend to hit level 10 before I even land on Myrellion, thus I am pretty much guaranteed a Hammer shield drop on Tarkus since I wind up farming the local populace there before I head to Uveto.

I'm actually not that far off myself. I got to level 8 before reaching Myrellion, and am almost 9 and haven't even begun any of the larger quests there. Then again my point was that I feel there should be a more readily available upgrade in Novahome (you can get upgraded armors and weapons, but for whatever reason not a single shield generator). If a player is lucky/diligent/OCD enough to get/farm for a hammer shield more power to them, but I remember when reaching Tarkus for the first time of being quite starved for a better one and being suprised not a single merchant offered one for sale.

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
I'm actually not that far off myself. I got to level 8 before reaching Myrellion, and am almost 9 and haven't even begun any of the larger quests there. Then again my point was that I feel there should be a more readily available upgrade in Novahome (you can get upgraded armors and weapons, but for whatever reason not a single shield generator). If a player is lucky/diligent/OCD enough to get/farm for a hammer shield more power to them, but I remember when reaching Tarkus for the first time of being quite starved for a better one and being suprised not a single merchant offered one for sale.

You really feel the difference when you play a drone tech and smuggler.

MosAnted

Aug 11, 2018
You really feel the difference when you play a drone tech and smuggler.

Indeed. My first run was with a Ranged Drone Tech. My second (current) is with a Melee Shield Tech. The latter's bonuses are high enough he can just shrug and power through with a crappy shield, but my first tech really struggled before getting a lucky break and getting a Hammer Shield as a drop.

IMO the simplest solution is just to add the Improvised Shield Generator to Shekka's inventory. It's a good enough upgrade to tide non-shield tech's over for a bit, and is not so good it overshadows the alternatives you could feasibly get with a bit more work (Premium/Hammer). Plus it plays into Shekka's shtick since it's described as being jury-rigged from mutiple parts, which is what she does.

Reactions: Zavos