[RPG Maker]Femdomstories: BDSM Tournament[Patreon][Free Demo]

Darktoz

Apr 5, 2017
Germany
www.darktoz.com
Hi there everyone,

I am Darktoz and I am creating fetish games. I've just finished my first game called 'Femdomstories: BDSM Tournament'. Feel free to check it out! The Game is completely free and available for download!

tumblr_ondazugyEU1w14a92o1_1280.png

Story:

In the near future, governments do not longer exist. Only chaos rules the streets of your city and you struggle to make money to survive. That’s when you hear about a secret underground tournament organized by a mysterious woman called Lady Lynx. You don’t know much about the rules but you do know that there is a big paycheck waiting for all who participate in this tournament. And since your stomach is as empty as your fridge you don’t have any other option right now.

The game is mostly about Female Domination. It also features some brutal/violent scenes, especially in the beginning. If you are not into that at all, you might not enjoy this game.

Screenshots
tumblr_ony7znLB5w1w14a92o1_1280.jpg

If you liked the game or you see some potential for interesting games in the future you can think about supporting me on patreon, you'll get the other games and you can decide what the next game will be about!

Last edited:

MotoKuchoma

Nov 3, 2015
Strictly linear, pretty short yet a bit tedious. However, its finished and definitely worth a dollar.

Can't wait to see where the series goes.

hentaiSpecial

Apr 10, 2017
yes, works fine.

i really liked the game, can't wait to see what is coming next! but your homepage/blog could use an update. i am sure it looks good for desktop users but for mobile it is a pain in the ass!

MotoKuchoma

Nov 3, 2015
~Preview Hype~

The little Demo to The Asylum looks neat, but its not enough to make a call yet. Does look promising however!

hentaiSpecial

Apr 10, 2017
You should point out that you released a free demo of the asylum!

edit: Oh, nevermind, I just saw your thread!

Bronzechair

Aug 30, 2015
You seriously necroed this almost year-old thread just to say THAT?!

It wasn't entirely without value. I've been meaning to play this game since it was announced and just kept putting it off because every time I hear about it, it's all criticism about how tedious and... RPG-Maker it is, if you will. I finally played through it last night as I was bored and it popped up here.

@Darktoz I understand that this was your first game, it's now complete, and you've learned from it and moved on, but I'd like to talk a bit about it anyway.
Keep in mind, this is more of a note on the importance of maintaining player interest than a review or a discussion about the game's content. The player's attention is your top priority as a game designer. If they lose interest, they will stop playing, and everything else about the game will cease to matter; you can have the best game in the world, but it won't matter if nobody is playing it. I can't go over the whole of human psychology here, but I want to highlight a few potential problems that I see a lot in RPG-Maker games which also happen to be here. If you're not around for this, maybe another RPG-Maker/game dev will find it interesting.

So, people like to feel in control of things and believe that their actions are meaningful. No one likes random, arbitrary outcomes; our brains strive to arrange events so they make sense. When you design a model world for your players to interact with you dictate how much control the players have by allowing or denying game-play options. Therefore, it's your responsibility to provide an illusion of meaningful choice to the players. Do away with whatever moral concerns you have about deceiving your players; it has to be an illusion because you can't possibly cover every option a single player might conceivably want to attempt, never-mind every player. You should try, within reason, but it will never be perfect. You just do what you can to make them think they're interacting meaningfully with a logical world.

One of the ways to NOT provide this illusionary sense of agency is to use trial and error. The "puzzles" in BDSM Tournament use trial and error (read: meaningless filler) in place of allowing the player to purposefully decide the outcome via their own merits. One player will breeze through the sewer platform area by sheer luck, while a second gets increasingly frustrated with it for an hour before outright deleting the game, while a third resigns himself to the tedium of taking a step, saving the game, taking another step, quitting and reloading the game, taking another step, quitting and reloading the game, etc. None of these are good outcomes: It's not satisfying to resolve a puzzle by blundering through it because you might as well have just been pushing random buttons (an activity you probably agree isn't particularly stimulating), deleting the game is obviously terrible, and forcing the player to resort to save-scumming means you've failed to engage/stimulate them properly. You're obviously a fan of masochism, which is great, and the theme can sometimes be appropriate, but it's important to distinguish between theme and mechanics. If the player is to be frustrated, it should come from an appealing source: a dominatrix edging them over and over, or prolonged breath-play, or relentless mocking from a sexy companion. In short, things that they find erotic. When it gets frustrating because you had to arbitrarily choose one of three directions to walk in and two of them will force you to fight a mutated fish before starting the maze over (or alt-F4 and reopen and reload the game), you've done something wrong... unless your audience consists of people who get off on that sort of thing, in which case we need to have a talk about your marketing skills because that is not what I signed up for!

The button puzzles suffer a similar problem. There's no in-game way to know which buttons you should press, so you just keep banging your head into the wall until it works or you get fed up and delete the game. I know you've provided a walk-through to ease the suffering, but it's not well-designed because players can cheat past the challenge with outside material. Any kind of hint to the process or a separate challenge that divulges the answer would have helped tremendously. The player will feel accomplished when they figure it out themselves with just a little nudge, or when they overcome the puzzle directly by beating up the mini-boss that has a spare key or finding the out-of-the-way location that has a slip of paper with the combination on it, or whatever other deliberate challenge you've set. You have the opposite effect when you force them to just flail about until it randomly works. Which leads into my next point...

Random battles don't mix with puzzle rooms. They're a jarring interruption to your thought process of solving the puzzle. This is a fundamental error in itself, but it's especially egregious in your game for two reasons. The first is that battles in this game are boring (more on this later). The battles are filler, and they serve only to pad out playtime, as if time invested = a good game (this isn't true, and it very visibly preys on the sunken cost fallacy, so try to avoid it whenever possible). The second reason it's extra bad is because you don't have real puzzles for the player to think about, so you're just replacing tedium with more tedium. Ostensibly, the point of putting the puzzle there is to break up the usual game-play loop with something different, so make sure it's actually different.

The riddles are better than the sewer/button non-puzzles because the player's knowledge is actually a factor in overcoming them, but the overall illusion of meaningful choice is likely going to be shattered over the course of eight riddles because nothing happens when the player answers one of them incorrectly; they can simply try again immediately. This is a failure to provide the sense of agency we need, because now the player realizes it doesn't matter what they do, and that they're just along for the ride instead of determining their fate via their own input. The wolf room would have benefited from something like a point system to determine overall success (the details of which are hidden to the player for dramatic tension, but hints are given to their general odds of survival) or an alternative challenge upon failing the riddle. It doesn't matter how you do it, as long as there is apparent purpose to both success AND failure.

Mazes... are a mixed bag. I tend to complain about mazes in RPG-Maker games because developers typically use them as a substitute for map design that actually makes sense, and because navigating basic labyrinths doesn't make for stimulating game-play. That said, I won't bitch too much about them here, because the whole premise of the tournament is that it's a trap for its desperate participants, so having the arena be a complex mess of winding paths is setting-appropriate. As well, the high resolution makes navigating them much less obnoxious than it could have been. With this combination, we get the immersiveness that Lady Lynx doesn't want people to simply walk out without subjecting the player to excess bullshit. Plus, there's lots of loot. There's only one true dead-end corridor in the entire game, so it doesn't feel awful wandering around the maze and getting nothing but depleted resources for your time (this is very important, because the game is always pushing you forward, and you can get stuck with no recourse but to restart the game or reload a much earlier save if you trap yourself via poor resource management). In fact, I ended the game with almost 40 first aid kits and 18 energizers. That's pretty good considering I didn't save-scum and only used the walk-through for the "puzzles."

Lastly, I feel like the game would have benefited greatly from more detailed battles. Enemy variety is limited, and every enemy has only a basic attack that does a set amount of damage. They could have had weaknesses and statuses and abilities to provide flavor, force you to change the way you fight them, provide more depth to long-term resource management, etc. The way they fight is always the same, and then the way you fight them is also always the same. Spam Attack if you have a good weapon (spam single-target Special/molotov if not), and use hand-grenades if there are multiple enemies and you're bored. The multi-hit Specials are terrible and a waste of SP, so you just grind down multiple enemies with Attack if you don't want to use grenades. Allies can't be customized with gear, so they're restricted to their one good Special (you know who I'm talking about) and item duty (you know who I'm talking about again. Why is she so useless?). As well, it sucks that most of the 30 enemies are just variants on the same eight or so bases. I went in hoping the battle system would be the most fleshed-out part of the game, and I was pretty disappointed in that regard.

It's really not bad for a first RPGM game. I appreciate the artstyle used, the abundance of resources, the writing, the unique animations, and the general content, and I can definitely see you put a lot of effort into it, so I can't be too harsh. I'll need to play through your other games to see how you've improved. I went through The Asylum a few months ago, but it seemed more of a visual novel than an actual game, so I didn't think much of it. Let me know if you care, otherwise I'll probably procrastinate it away.

Darktoz

Apr 5, 2017
Germany
www.darktoz.com
@Bronzechair Oh my...I do not even know what to say. Thanks for your feedback, can't believe someone put that amount of effort to improve such a tedious game. I'm sorry that my response is that late. I'm not even going to argue because I agree with everything you said...except that I put a lot of effort into it. In the artwork, yes...but not into the game itself.

BDSM Tournament was not only the first game I put out, but the first game I ever made. I had no clue about making games in general or the RPG Maker Engine. First off, I want to say that RPG Maker is a great engine! One of the best when it comes to being beginner friendly and easy to learn. The bad reputation comes from games that are being put out without much care and thinking. And BDSM Tournament certainly falls into that category.

But at the time it was a way to get me started! It got me about 25 patreon supporters, that not so much cared about the game itself, more about the athmosphere and the artwork that it contained and were willing to help me improve! That way I build the Asylum, a game that was well received even though it was kind of a walking simulator, and now Captured by Dark Elves, a fantasy RPG Maker game that really shows how much I've improved over the past two years.

Yes, it has been almost two years now, and I have been going from BDSM Tournament and 25 patrons to Captured by Dark Elves and Femdom City M.A.N.T.I.S. and have reached 1 000 supporters. I'm not saying this to brag (Ok, maybe a bit), but to encourage you to try out Captured by Dark Elves!

In the past I sometimes had the urge to delete that game, BDSM Tournament, and wipe it from my timeline because it is the only game that is not well received. But it is my first game, it reminds me to constantly improve and it shows people how much better you can become in not even two years when you stay committed and have people that support you!

Again, thanks for your feedback,
Stay kinky!

Reactions: Bronzechair

MotoKuchoma

Nov 3, 2015
I was one of those 25! Ah the memories.

I think this game is just good enough to warrant keeping around. Honestly there are some things in BDSM Tournament I wish other games of yours have. In every other game, your character is completely at the mercy of women, in BDSM tournament you legit could hold on your own. You also had female companions on your side who actually legit liked you by the end instead of being some sort of twisted evil mistress. I kinda wish you stepped on the break with the dominance thing in your games a little and maybe go for something less bleak for a coming project. I like the style of your games, but the 2 new games (especially the dark elf one) feel incredibly similar to The Asylum, so much so thats its actually not that exciting to see what'll be next.

Darktoz

Apr 5, 2017
Germany
www.darktoz.com
Well, you now have companions introduced in Captured by Dark Elves as well. In my view the "Female Domination"-Fetish works best when you're forced to obey. That way you can decide if you want to fight it or give in. There are of course many similarities...Captured by Dark Elves was started when I was right in the middle of The Asylum, which most likely wasn't the wisest idea. On the other hand I think that it's different enough and improved in many ways. It comes down to what you're into, and if heavy femdom/futadom is your fetish, you will enjoy Captured by Dark Elves and Femdom City M.A.N.T.I.S.

MotoKuchoma

Nov 3, 2015
I disagree, but beyond that, the thing I didn't like about the Asylum was that almost none of the female characters actually saw you as anything but a slave, which meant there was a ton of overlap between the characters (Nikki and Elaine, Dr. Abusem and Dr. Horney etc.), and I think its sad to have such a wide selection of characters and the only real difference is what fetish they have to offer. Femdom City is I think the perfect example for this issue, because many scenes have nameless mistresses that don't actually matter at all.
I think the ubiquity of pretty much anyone in the game easily being available to dom you, and beyond that do little else with you cheapens the impact of these scenes by a lot. Despite the cringy wolf thing, Merryl's scene in BDSM tournament was great because there was an actual weight to the scene. You haven't been repeatedly tortured, and you've so far eluded Lady Lynx and her lackeys, there were things at stake and she had an actual reason to rough you up. It felt much more personal and real than almost every other scene in your games.
I can't even vaguely recall any of the Dark Elves in the game, since they are all pretty much the same character, and Femdom City is even worse about this, shifting from character driven drama to essentially a femdom-flavored sex romp with vaguely any personality to it. As much as your games improved graphically and mechanically, I think the writing so far has suffered from it.

Reactions: TheDarkMaster

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
To add to Moto's point, it's fine to have games themed around a single fetish. In fact, this is generally the correct way to make games if you aren't trying to appeal to as broad of an audience as possible. Have one kink that's mandatory and everything else is either flavoring on that kink or fully optional. Different characters/paths feature different twists on the central kink the game is about. So in the case of your games, femdom is the central sexual fetish that's being covered by the game. No player should ever come into the game with any expectation of seeing content that isn't centered on that central kink.

I agree that it's also important to have some variety in the characters as well. Having each with one central fetish or twist on the central theme is the basic requirement for having separate characters in the first place, otherwise you may as well just have one which the player deals with linearly. If the characters also all cover certain variations on the central kink, in the case of the Asylum case male slavery, then that kink has become a part of the central fetish as well. In this case, your game now has both femdom and male slavery as central kinks and should advertise itself as such. While fine on it's own, you do start to run into potential issues if you stack up too many mandatory kinks. The more mandatory content that all/most paths feature, the more likely you might include a turn off for a given player, and thus the smaller your potential audience becomes. Human sexuality is insanely complicated, but one thing that's true is that pretty much everyone is unique in their likes and dislikes. So making a game that covers all of your kinks and makes all of them mandatory is likely to only be appealing to you. That's why it's generally a good idea to split up all the kinks among various characters/paths beyond the single central kink that the game focuses on.

Darktoz

Apr 5, 2017
Germany
www.darktoz.com
I disagree, but beyond that, the thing I didn't like about the Asylum was that almost none of the female characters actually saw you as anything but a slave, which meant there was a ton of overlap between the characters (Nikki and Elaine, Dr. Abusem and Dr. Horney etc.), and I think its sad to have such a wide selection of characters and the only real difference is what fetish they have to offer. Femdom City is I think the perfect example for this issue, because many scenes have nameless mistresses that don't actually matter at all.
I think the ubiquity of pretty much anyone in the game easily being available to dom you, and beyond that do little else with you cheapens the impact of these scenes by a lot. Despite the cringy wolf thing, Merryl's scene in BDSM tournament was great because there was an actual weight to the scene. You haven't been repeatedly tortured, and you've so far eluded Lady Lynx and her lackeys, there were things at stake and she had an actual reason to rough you up. It felt much more personal and real than almost every other scene in your games.
I can't even vaguely recall any of the Dark Elves in the game, since they are all pretty much the same character, and Femdom City is even worse about this, shifting from character driven drama to essentially a femdom-flavored sex romp with vaguely any personality to it. As much as your games improved graphically and mechanically, I think the writing so far has suffered from it.

Well, we agree to disagree. If you think every dark elf in this game is pretty much the same character, I'm not even going to argue with you. The main themes of my games have been, are, and always will be: Female Domination and Futanari Domination.
The reason I still remember you when you were my patreon is not only because you were one of the first patreon supporters I got, you were also the only Patreon who never said anything positive about my games and their updates. So I guess we both have to live with the fact that I'm not going to fullfill your game desires and that you most likely won't like what I'm putting out next...more Femdom and Futadom! Because I just love doing that!