Riverside Refuge (Pre alpha V0.011)

Asherack

Apr 28, 2018
W6_Qradh9BO7GX_HikmNrLVE7Uf4ilnchnjbJEGfph2pOkPSADS44S5zc62vXD_S.png
Riverside refuge is an adult CYOA text RPG that focuses on freedom of choice, and variety in play, each choice can play out a variety of ways depending on a number of factors. You play your own customised character as you embark on a mission to build and upgrade your home and its surroundings into a refuge for all kinds of people, creatures and hybrids, all while trying to solve an overarching main plot and a variety of side-quests. The game takes inspirations and themes from various mythologies and cultures, as well as anime's, manga's, D&D and other fiction to create a massive pool of creatures and characters for me to draw from.
What's the plan.
Coming up next will be rest of the prologue sequence it will contain the first open exploration dungeon and a few more interesting encounters as you make your way to the first hub town.
i'll try and do updates closer together from now on since the majority of bugs are out of the way.
From then i can work on making an open world, allowing the player to build their home base how they choose, allowing you to recruit, rescue, and help a variety of characters and move them into your home base, and the interactions to go with it, and adding TF content for the player character.
Whats in the game currently.
Currently as of v0.011 the game contains the first half of the prologue, 3 lewd scenes with the large amount of variations that come with them, a full save system, character system with TF content already accounted for, skills system, full 24 hour time system with days,weeks and months and an affection system, a lot of stuff is still subject to change.

Pairings - later on, pretty much everything you can think of, in the current build, M/F F/F M/M
Fetishes/Kinks - planned futa, monster boys/girls, furries and creatures/beasts, mindcontrol/hypnosis, genderswap, transformation, bondage, dom/femdom, probably missing some but i have big plans for this, for the current build its pretty tame and only contains oral so far, watch this spot.

May 3rd V0.011
  • Added female player character customisation options and added or tweaked all of the dialogues that should use it.
  • Fixed lots of back end issues.
  • Fixed the save menu display and most of the back end for it although there’s still a niggling issue i can’t figure out a workaround for but for the most part it all works.
  • Rewrote the choice display from the ground up to be more user friendly and have less issues overall.
  • Fixed text speed and skip not working as intended, you can now click the text display to skip a portion.
  • Fixed numerous bugs making the game unable to advance, my own fault there for not testing enough but thats no excuse.
  • Rewrote a fair amount of dialogues for better flow or to make more sense, still learning there.
  • Added support for more body parts and types of clothing on the back end.
  • Various QOL fixes.

roOaY1v.png
XmUJqX6.png

rPL8Ibf.jpg

If you enjoy the small taster of what you see, consider following me on Tumblr or supporting me on Patreon for regular updates.

Also have a look at the Riverside Refuge Discord for regular updates.

Download Links

Windows - Mega - Zippy - Gdrive

Mac - Mega - Zippy - Gdrive

Linux - Mega - Zippy - Gdrive

i have no way to test mac or Linux builds so let me know if they actually work if you try them.

Last edited:

BubbleLord

Scientist
Creator
Jun 24, 2016
I'm going to go ahead and point out some things that might be warning flags with your project, especially since they're easily solvable ones now.

Primarily, it starts with the fact your Patreon has two things that most of the current games always do for free.
  • Make a Discord
  • Stream/Discuss Progress
Now, by no means do you need to stream every day but if you're already capable OF streaming, then I assure you that people will appreciate anything you might show off. Not to mention that your current pipeline is very short for a lot of people's ideas of what would be a good investment. The Discord thing really shouldn't need to be pointed out, but you don't need to have ranks to have one made. They're completely free and all you need is to find trustworthy people and/or pledges to moderate and you're golden. Discords for a game are vital when wanting to promote a discussion area for them.

Aside from that, I think that with some help (writers and/or coders + potential pledges) that you could be holding something neat. But it's a very sketchy thing to see only two screenshots, be given a v.0.01 demo, and basically be told you have .0015 planned out to be these large jumps 1-2 weeks laters. Hope you understand and make a Discord where you can acquire some help to get content out, but until you have that up and there's a basic listing of things games normally list (such as pairings and/or kink inclusions intended/supported/allowed) I'm going to keep hands off with it.

sidlut

Sep 8, 2017
Man i'll definitely be following this project but I should let you know the name input doesn't work, not allowing to enter any letters and the finish button freezing the game. The text from the tutor carries as if you've put in a name immediately and instead just blocks the screen and options. Guessing at the options i was able to play for a bit before I was stuck in a loop at seeing the 4 people, once i spoke to kat (last) i had a bunch of options for doing things like "recreation room" but they just led back to the Eric option previously causing a loop. Hope this helps, looking forward to all the progress!

Reactions: Nephilim_Anunnaki

Jash

Oct 8, 2015
I won't be trying your game for a few iterations because I have so many games that I've decided I don't have time for 0.1 versions of things any more, but looking at your screenshots I can tell you upfront that you need to pay more attention to grammar and punctuation. Instances of uncapitalised names ("rowen") and other errors ("im" rather than "I'm") jump out badly, and just those opening paragraphs contain WAY too many run-on sentences. Some games can get away with slightly sub-par writing, but absolutely NOT entirely text-based ones.

Asherack

Apr 28, 2018
The well needed update is here and the engine is updated, all game breaking bugs are hopefully fixed and the game is actually playable now.

V0.011 Changelog
  • Added female player character customisation options and added or tweaked all of the dialogues that should use it.
  • Fixed lots of back end issues.
  • Fixed the save menu display and most of the back end for it although there’s still a niggling issue i can’t figure out a workaround for but for the most part it all works.
  • Rewrote the choice display from the ground up to be more user friendly and have less issues overall.
  • Fixed text speed and skip not working as intended, you can now click the text display to skip a portion.
  • Fixed numerous bugs making the game unable to advance, my own fault there for not testing enough but thats no excuse.
  • Rewrote a fair amount of dialogues for better flow or to make more sense, still learning there.
  • Added support for more body parts and types of clothing on the back end.
  • Various QOL fixes.
coming up next will be the the rest of the prologue up to the first hub town, this includes the first dungeon and its exploration and a few more interesting encounters than in the current build.
i'll try and do updates closer together from now on since the majority of the bugs are now out of the way.
From then i can work on making an open world, allowing the player to build their home base how they choose, allowing you to recruit, rescue, and help a variety of characters and move them into your home base, and the interactions to go with it, and adding TF content for the player character.

Download links

Windows - Mega - Zippy - Gdrive

Mac - Mega - Zippy - Gdrive

Linux - Mega - Zippy - Gdrive

I honestly can’t apologise enough for the shitshow that was the first release, the broken engine had me not wanting to test it in the first place until i could get that updated and i can now see that was an awful idea, no excuses, hopefully you can have a bit more fun with this more stable working version.

i'm working on the feedback, uploaded some new screenshots, discord is up, link is in the original post, i'll work on posting updates more regularly and theres a preliminary kinks list.

Last edited:

Incuboss

May 19, 2018
Don't know if this is just a problem on my Mac, but I can't get passed the part where you get the four recruits. Only Elric grays out. The other 3 go into infinite loops and make it so I can't complete it.

lightningshifter

Aug 27, 2015
I noticed that the text seemed to leave the screen at times and there was no UI means to scroll down the pages with walls of text in the window. You might want to consider adding that UI element into your game so that you have more flexibility with different desktop resolutions. I'm suspecting part of the problem was the fact that I'm using an HD TV for a monitor and I've noticed that certain programs seem to interpret that as an excuse to use a zoomin feature that goes beyond the default. Basically programs like Firefox do it which is annoying because things wind up way too large. But I can't say for certain whether it was doing it with your game too. I just know the text seemed to run off the text window during the prologue in a couple spots. The text word wraps just fine. Its just that I somehow doubted that you left the text hanging midsentence at the bottom of the window. I didn't notice any infinite loops but I did notice that the game didn't recognize when I tried to select A-Cup breasts with thin build. I can't think of anything else at the moment though.