[Ren'py/Python] 'Monster Girl Dreams' Alpha v25.9b (BFRPG)

lightningshifter

Aug 27, 2015
That's a very odd issue you're having. I'm not completely sure what's causing that as I'm unable to recreate it on my end.

Given the other loading issue you had I'm starting to think this might be a weird Ren'py or OS specific issue. That or I'm messing up somehow on loading in combat.
Are you running it on PC, Mac or linux?

It might be loading the Ren'py auto saves in this case, just don't know what would cause it to do that if you're trying to load normally.

Edit: I've updated my renpy, this was in the patch notes for it 'An issue where a save or auto-save could rarely cause data corruption in the non-saved game has been fixed.'
So it is possible this issue may get fixed in the next version I release.

Windows 10 x64. The odd thing is its a save state that I never had in the first place. Either way it just causes the first load to bork up as I described only when loading during combat in the forest. Now if you closed the game completely and then opened it before loading it will work fine. This only happens when you go immediately to load without first jumping back to the main menu during combat. I did play with it a bit to figure out how to prevent it from striking. Basically if you make sure you bounce back to the main menu before loading saves this won't happen.

Juicyjuice

Mar 3, 2016
I have to say that it's pretty fun finding all the reactions and dialogue the monsters say when you hit them or when they attack you.

Threshold

Sep 2, 2016
v14 is now out!

Check out what's new in the changelog in the first post, it's a bit long.

gordo.shota

Oct 12, 2017
v14 tried.
New mechanics seems to work, even if the changes are a little subtle to appreciate in a casual play.
Kyra artwork is nice, and the added dialogs are fun.
I like the sleep rework, even if i've not tested it a lot.

Threshold

Sep 2, 2016
v14 tried.
New mechanics seems to work, even if the changes are a little subtle to appreciate in a casual play.
Kyra artwork is nice, and the added dialogs are fun.
I like the sleep rework, even if i've not tested it a lot.

Old sleep was too inconsistent cause AI, new one might need some tuning or something though, but at least it's an actual threat now.

so ya teleport never works now lol but i like the other changes

Gdi, why do things break after I get them working right. Oh well, nother thing for the bug pile.
Though did you update your save in options after loading? Because if it's from an old save some of the numbers from the old teleport might be there derping it up.

Friendly reminder to update the thread title.

...Oops.

crimsiden

Jul 4, 2016
Old sleep was too inconsistent cause AI, new one might need some tuning or something though, but at least it's an actual threat now.

Gdi, why do things break after I get them working right. Oh well, nother thing for the bug pile.
Though did you update your save in options after loading? Because if it's from an old save some of the numbers from the old teleport might be there derping it up.

...Oops.
ya i basically start a new game every update:p

The Silver Bard

Sep 2, 2015
Got a crash while fighting Kyra and attempting to struggle out of Pin:
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.
While running game code:
  File "game/gamecode/adventureCode/adventuring.rpy", line 449, in script call
    call displayScene from _call_displayScene_3
  File "game/gamecode/dialogueSystem.rpy", line 893, in script call
    call eventDialogueMenu from _call_eventDialogueMenu
  File "game/gamecode/adventureCode/adventuring.rpy", line 325, in script call
    call displayScene from _call_displayScene_2
  File "game/gamecode/dialogueSystem.rpy", line 709, in script call
    call sortMenuD from _call_sortMenuD_12
  File "game/gamecode/adventureCode/adventuring.rpy", line 440, in script call
    call combat from _call_combat
  File "game/gamecode/combatcode/combat.rpy", line 593, in script call
    call combatActionTurn from _call_combatActionTurn_1
  File "game/gamecode/combatcode/combatFunctions.rpy", line 290, in script call
    call read from _call_read_12
  File "game/gamecode/functions/readerFormat.rpy", line 17, in script
    $ display = display.format(**readerDiction)
  File "game/gamecode/functions/readerFormat.rpy", line 17, in <module>
KeyError: u'targetNameHisOrHer'
-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------
Full traceback:
  File "C:\Users\Vasta\Games\MonGirlDreams-Alpha-v14-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 862, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "C:\Users\Vasta\Games\MonGirlDreams-Alpha-v14-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1839, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.14.2.3333
Monster Girl Dreams Alpha-v14
Tue May 01 17:11:25 2018

I searched through some of the relevant files, but I couldn't find any instances of 'targetNameHisOrHer'

Threshold

Sep 2, 2016
v14.1 is out for mostly bugfixing.

Got a crash while fighting Kyra and attempting to struggle out of Pin:
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.
While running game code:
-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------
Full traceback:
  File "C:\Users\Vasta\Games\MonGirlDreams-Alpha-v14-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 862, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "C:\Users\Vasta\Games\MonGirlDreams-Alpha-v14-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1839, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.14.2.3333
Monster Girl Dreams Alpha-v14
Tue May 01 17:11:25 2018

I searched through some of the relevant files, but I couldn't find any instances of 'targetNameHisOrHer'

Well I'm pretty sure I fixed this, but it seems like it was the normal lizard girls doing it with restrained insert.
Unless Kyra is somehow getting the skill too. Which can theoretically happen.

ThatOneJester

Nov 14, 2015
Just wanted to say I love your game so far.
I won't say It's my favorite, but it is in 4th place for my top five favorite adult games.
Keep up the good work, and I wish you the best of luck with any current/future endeavors!

Threshold

Sep 2, 2016
v15 is a go.

Only one real new content addition, but there is a bunch of other changes.
Also new UI.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
The new UI is mostly good, though I preferred the old way to choose your attacks. I think I remember it being more efficient to use, since the new system requires three clicks for an attack. The fewer clicks and sub-menus the better.

Also, is there some kind of scaling difficulty in the game where enemies get stronger as you level up or if you start a quest? I had no trouble getting out of stances my first two runs through the forest, but on the third I couldn't escape from any or run from any fights. Plus I had new attacks that did more damage, but the fights took longer to finish and I ended with far less energy left over. It was super frustrating. This was on normal difficulty.

Threshold

Sep 2, 2016
The new UI is mostly good, though I preferred the old way to choose your attacks. I think I remember it being more efficient to use, since the new system requires three clicks for an attack. The fewer clicks and sub-menus the better.

Also, is there some kind of scaling difficulty in the game where enemies get stronger as you level up or if you start a quest? I had no trouble getting out of stances my first two runs through the forest, but on the third I couldn't escape from any or run from any fights. Plus I had new attacks that did more damage, but the fights took longer to finish and I ended with far less energy left over. It was super frustrating. This was on normal difficulty.

UI will probably still need more tuning.

No enemies should stay the same power. Stances and running do have elements of chance involved, so could just be bad luck. Though the odds may tweaking still.

And that's odd, maybe the next tier up for attacks needs an increase in base damage... That or some skills may need to cost less energy.

CleansingFire

Aug 27, 2015
I got an error while fighting Nicci:
Code:
File "MonGirlDreams-Alpha-v15-pc/renpy/text/text.py", line 1067, in segment
    raise Exception("Unknown text tag %r" % text)
Exception: Unknown text tag u'attackerName'

Juicyjuice

Mar 3, 2016
The game sure is a lot prettier with the new UI. However, I do think that the cloud shapes sticking outside of windows, especially the main text box, is kind of distracting.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
UI will probably still need more tuning.

No enemies should stay the same power. Stances and running do have elements of chance involved, so could just be bad luck. Though the odds may tweaking still.

And that's odd, maybe the next tier up for attacks needs an increase in base damage... That or some skills may need to cost less energy.
So either I got strangely lucky on the first run, unlucky on the last one, there's some bug, or a balance issue with higher tier attacks. I was mainly annoyed because I wanted to get to the later parts of the game and experience new content. It does seem strange that the enemies either are straightforward or absolutely crush you, entirely dependent on whether or not they manage to get you into a stance you can't escape from with little to no in between. I'll have to keep testing and see if I can get the starting monsters so they're pushovers. I can say that the 5 cost skills don't seem to be cost effective compared to the 2 cost ones.

Vasin

Aug 27, 2015
I'm having an issue with the game. I can't even start a new save because when I go to choose the attributes, the Fetish List is blank. As I need to pick one to proceed, I am unable to get any further.

Threshold

Sep 2, 2016
I'm having an issue with the game. I can't even start a new save because when I go to choose the attributes, the Fetish List is blank. As I need to pick one to proceed, I am unable to get any further.

That's very odd.

Is this the first time you've tried the game?
What OS are you currently using? Cause if it's Linux there could have been a mess up with some text in the files that I can fix.

Vasin

Aug 27, 2015
It is not the first time I've played the game, but the first time I've played it since it got a face lift. When I played it last, the attributes were in three boxes side-by-side.
My OS is Windows 7, I don't think it's the issue though. I could be wrong.

Juicyjuice

Mar 3, 2016
I usually don't care that much for succubi, but you really went all out on the new ones. So many options!

Threshold

Sep 2, 2016
v15.1 bug fix and tweaking update is out.

It is not the first time I've played the game, but the first time I've played it since it got a face lift. When I played it last, the attributes were in three boxes side-by-side.
My OS is Windows 7, I don't think it's the issue though. I could be wrong.

I'm not 100% sure what is causing the issue you're having is as I can't recreate it, try downloading the new version and see if you get the issue again.

any_name_you_wish

May 22, 2018
I just dl'd the game for the first time and also couldn't get any fetish list at character creation. I looked in the "Modding Guide" word doc and learned that there should be a "fetishList.json" in the game's files, but I couldn't find it under renpy->monsters. Could this be it?

Threshold

Sep 2, 2016
I just dl'd the game for the first time and also couldn't get any fetish list at character creation. I looked in the "Modding Guide" word doc and learned that there should be a "fetishList.json" in the game's files, but I couldn't find it under renpy->monsters. Could this be it?

Actually that's a bit out of date and I'll correct it for future versions, the lists are now all in a Lists folder.

But now that I'm thinking on the issue more, I think the problem might be the newer UI for it as it uses a neat curved scroll bar thing and it could be that some computers do not like it or something.
I'm going to make a makeshift UI version for it to see if that fixes the issue and post it here once I've got it set up.

Edit: Try this if it shows up then both huzza and boo, also the perk list will not show up for you either if this is the problem.
If it DOESN'T show up then it's back to the drawing board for me on fixing this.

Last edited:

Threshold

Sep 2, 2016
v16 is now out! Check the first post for the download and change log.

And if you're having issues with fetishes appearing at character creation please see my post before this one for a version to try. It's the last game ver still, but at least I'll know if it fixes the issue and can properly implement it.