[Ren'py/Python] 'Monster Girl Dreams' Alpha v25.9b (BFRPG)

Threshold

Sep 2, 2016
hey thresh sorry to burst your bubble that combat consumables bug its back
Experienced it too, also

I think the maid fight is extremely annoying. She does very low damage but is very very hard to take down so the entire fight is a slog that can be decided on getting unlucky with a couple dice rolls. I don't know about how much you care about balance right now but a build focused on Willpower is horribly inferior to a Technique build. In fact, due to Technique giving you dodge and very cheap attack moves (which are in no way weaker than those of the other attributes), its by far the best stat.

EDIT: Also, stances work quite confusingly, in fact even the game has this issue as if you use penetrate while Mika uses Tailjob, she will stop acting completely giving you a free win.

Darn that consumable bug. I'll be trying to get that fixed as soon as I can. And any other bugs that pop up.

I'll look into tweaking the maid fight, already lowered her hp.
I do care about balance, but I also expect it to break a lot still.

Willpower has very few offensive skills is definitely a problem.
But tech may need a nerf, or skills just need more diversity.

Oh, that would be because you aren't supposed to be able to penetrate her during tail job.
The AI would not know how to deal with that as all her skills in that senario require her to not be in the sex stance, while she wont try to escape because she's in the tailjob stance.
One more bug for the fix pile.

MotoKuchoma

Nov 3, 2015
Darn that consumable bug. I'll be trying to get that fixed as soon as I can. And any other bugs that pop up.

I'll look into tweaking the maid fight, already lowered her hp.
I do care about balance, but I also expect it to break a lot still.

Willpower has very few offensive skills is definitely a problem.
But tech may need a nerf, or skills just need more diversity.

Oh, that would be because you aren't supposed to be able to penetrate her during tail job.
The AI would not know how to deal with that as all her skills in that senario require her to not be in the sex stance, while she wont try to escape because she's in the tailjob stance.
One more bug for the fix pile.

The fight can sometimes crash when that happens too. I still need clarification about stances, as it seems to be a confusing mess to keep in mind what can change stances, this is asking for a change as the current skills all need to be constantly updated to account for new stances. Like, can you be in multiple stances at once? Is something like the Anal stance applied to both parties?

Also I saw that stuff like Blowjob doesnt actually check if the target has a penis, so I'd guess you might wanna scrap a cis female protagonist, seems like it'd require a major refactor.

Finally the issue is that skills dont seem to have a difference in how strong they are. 1 EP Caress Butt does the same damage as the 10 EP Arouse Spell. The difference is mainly in the stats and Technique is the best stat, followed by Power (to escape holds).

ScarredEyes

Oct 13, 2015
I agree with the ep:damage balance - in fact, it makes the new generic demon we see (actually hard to make it spoiler-free) the hardest generic monster due to the need for Pain in order to hit their weak spots. Although not a bad thing, but those moves cost 5 ep, whereas I can expect the same damage to other enemies with different weakpoints for 1 ep. Or even 0 for seducing a particular monster. Another example is - a 1ep "Caress Butt" will do 2/3 damage of a 5ep AssPen/Ass Thrust. Which itself does about 2/3 (ball-parking it) of a 10ep Anal Pound.

Unfortunately, I hit the dungeon while high-levelled...much too high levelled. Only demon rooms posed a problem due to oral fetish (haven't fought the end boss yet though) with cock sensitivity at an all-time low, and the maid turned into a spam fest, with her skills not hitting because of high Technique. Makes me wish I can mod my save to lower my technique. Might have to hit the Inn to balance the MC :p I haven't fought the end-dungeon boss yet - the one time I did, I messed around with Mika's encounter dialogue, only to get soft-locked at the massive door, with neither options allowing me a way to fight or finish dungeon.

Maybe you were planning to refine the Town part of the game, but just to let you know that getting 5k-7k gold from the inn at level one, then going to the church to get rid of negative effects, is practically cheating. On the other hand, because of how the inflation of Goddess's blessing works according to your level, the less skilled you are, and the more you had to experiment in order to defeat monsters later in the game, the more exorbitant the price becomes. I don't know what other people feel about it, but again, maybe there should be a different penalty added to using the Inn as well as fetish intensifying, since the inn work is pretty much get-more-money-without-aging mechanism for catching up after a snowball of messing up encounters.

As for Mika tailjob, why is it I never see her start anal penetration with me, despite needing the tailjob stance.. :sadface:

I got the elf threesome scene (Inn) to be what seems to be a random encounter - like finding large ornate chests - on the forest dungeon, once it became a location to visit. I don't know how, it just pops up randomly sometimes. Maybe something to do with my save.

But overall, this new content is aaaaamazing. I'll definitely have a lot of fun - now to just go to the Inn for random fetish increases and running through the location with a hornier MC.

Threshold

Sep 2, 2016
The fight can sometimes crash when that happens too. I still need clarification about stances, as it seems to be a confusing mess to keep in mind what can change stances, this is asking for a change as the current skills all need to be constantly updated to account for new stances. Like, can you be in multiple stances at once? Is something like the Anal stance applied to both parties?

Also I saw that stuff like Blowjob doesnt actually check if the target has a penis, so I'd guess you might wanna scrap a cis female protagonist, seems like it'd require a major refactor.

Finally the issue is that skills dont seem to have a difference in how strong they are. 1 EP Caress Butt does the same damage as the 10 EP Arouse Spell. The difference is mainly in the stats and Technique is the best stat, followed by Power (to escape holds).

I should probably go back over the stance stuff and streamline it a bit if I can.
The main thing you have to account for is stances the player can start, and other monsters you are going to stick in the group a monster when you want to make a very specific stance like slimed.
You can theoretically be in infinite stances. But it would not display well on the monsters.
Stances are applied to the user of the skill and the target of the skill.

The game and main story are currently designed around a male protag.
But that is not to say that it is impossible for a female protag. Later I would like to add the option to add in the ability to make your own full adventure. With that you could make characters designed to interact with a female protag.
And probably add a gender checker for moves.

I'm going to lower Arouse down to 5 ep.
I'm also contemplating putting all 'starter' skills to 5 ep.

I agree with the ep:damage balance - in fact, it makes the new generic demon we see (actually hard to make it spoiler-free) the hardest generic monster due to the need for Pain in order to hit their weak spots. Although not a bad thing, but those moves cost 5 ep, whereas I can expect the same damage to other enemies with different weakpoints for 1 ep. Or even 0 for seducing a particular monster. Another example is - a 1ep "Caress Butt" will do 2/3 damage of a 5ep AssPen/Ass Thrust. Which itself does about 2/3 (ball-parking it) of a 10ep Anal Pound.

Unfortunately, I hit the dungeon while high-levelled...much too high levelled. Only demon rooms posed a problem due to oral fetish (haven't fought the end boss yet though) with cock sensitivity at an all-time low, and the maid turned into a spam fest, with her skills not hitting because of high Technique. Makes me wish I can mod my save to lower my technique. Might have to hit the Inn to balance the MC :p I haven't fought the end-dungeon boss yet - the one time I did, I messed around with Mika's encounter dialogue, only to get soft-locked at the massive door, with neither options allowing me a way to fight or finish dungeon.

Maybe you were planning to refine the Town part of the game, but just to let you know that getting 5k-7k gold from the inn at level one, then going to the church to get rid of negative effects, is practically cheating. On the other hand, because of how the inflation of Goddess's blessing works according to your level, the less skilled you are, and the more you had to experiment in order to defeat monsters later in the game, the more exorbitant the price becomes. I don't know what other people feel about it, but again, maybe there should be a different penalty added to using the Inn as well as fetish intensifying, since the inn work is pretty much get-more-money-without-aging mechanism for catching up after a snowball of messing up encounters.

As for Mika tailjob, why is it I never see her start anal penetration with me, despite needing the tailjob stance.. :sadface:

I got the elf threesome scene (Inn) to be what seems to be a random encounter - like finding large ornate chests - on the forest dungeon, once it became a location to visit. I don't know how, it just pops up randomly sometimes. Maybe something to do with my save.

But overall, this new content is aaaaamazing. I'll definitely have a lot of fun - now to just go to the Inn for random fetish increases and running through the location with a hornier MC.

Yeahhh when I added the brothel I kinda knew people could do that...
I'm pretty sure im going to change the cost for getting rid of resistance losses and fetishes scale of the severity instead of level. It just makes more sense.

As for brothel penalties, I do like the idea of it giving 'perks'/hinderances to the PC if you encounter a scene enough times. and no way to get rid of it. Like say, 'Aphrodisiac Lover' and you take increased damage from Aphrodisiacs but also gain a bit of resistance against getting the effect.
I will probably adding a day tracker at some point, if I add debt payments required every-so often, with failure forcing you to work at the brothel, or a bad end.

I guess because Mika's RNG doesn't like you?

I've heard a report about the elf inn scene elsewhere, so it's not just you. It's on the fix list.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
If it costs more to remove the penalties gained for working the inn than what you earn for working at the inn, that would solve the main problem right?

MotoKuchoma

Nov 3, 2015
I would have it so that working at the Inn directly pays off your debt. No cheesing potential and this is more true to what the work is supposed to do.

EDIT: Okay, how do status affecting moves know whether they should target the player or the enemy? There seems to be no line that indicates that.

Last edited:

gordo.shota

Oct 12, 2017
An huge update, I have to say. Well done!
Now... the bug report :p
-You can't win the imp den event without a successfull flee: victorious fight just bring you back at the den fight or flee prompt. It's expected?
-I noticed that sometime events go a little crazy with the dungeon.
e.g.
I tried a run in the dungeon (that actually is marked as Mystic Forest in the adventure location list, something like Forest Dungeon would be easier to identify) with the following setup:
2 imps, 2 matango, 2 blues slimes, 1 mimic event and 1 imp den event + quest rematch the maid
I found myself into the inn elf threesome scene o_O !!
Then i've been warped back into a imp den, without any possibility to proceed (stuck into fight or flee prompt).
Unfortunately it's not systematic, i've repeated the same setup without any problem.

Hope it helps.

Threshold

Sep 2, 2016
If it costs more to remove the penalties gained for working the inn than what you earn for working at the inn, that would solve the main problem right?

Yeah, I'm going to change how the stat penalty removal works, so it scales with severity instead of level.

I would have it so that working at the Inn directly pays off your debt. No cheesing potential and this is more true to what the work is supposed to do.

EDIT: Okay, how do status affecting moves know whether they should target the player or the enemy? There seems to be no line that indicates that.

That is a really good idea actually. May do that, or at least have portion of money go to debt.

Only the stat ones can effect the user, if the potency is positive.
Otherwise it targets an opponent.
I should really go through and clarify some stuff in the mod guide some time...

An huge update, I have to say. Well done!
Now... the bug report :p
-You can't win the imp den event without a successfull flee: victorious fight just bring you back at the den fight or flee prompt. It's expected?
-I noticed that sometime events go a little crazy with the dungeon.
e.g.
I tried a run in the dungeon (that actually is marked as Mystic Forest in the adventure location list, something like Forest Dungeon would be easier to identify) with the following setup:
2 imps, 2 matango, 2 blues slimes, 1 mimic event and 1 imp den event + quest rematch the maid
I found myself into the inn elf threesome scene o_O !!
Then i've been warped back into a imp den, without any possibility to proceed (stuck into fight or flee prompt).
Unfortunately it's not systematic, i've repeated the same setup without any problem.

Hope it helps.

Yaaaa there was some big issues with the update I missed.
Probably should have delayed the release to test it more.

But many errors have been fixed for a 9.1 update. Still more to go.
I think that will be out wednesday... I think...

MotoKuchoma

Nov 3, 2015
btw the encounter with the 3 Imps appears twice. I considered myself unlucky but apparently that's not what was supposed to happen. I think some encounters can appear twice (It happened to me with the Catgirl and the Mimic too. The maid fortunately didn't appear twice, neither did the Mushroom)

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
Random idea, how about a group sex fetish? Causes extra damage whenever you're in multiple stances or just in general against joint attacks.

EDIT: Tried the latest release. I really want to like this game, but it's so damn frustrating with the chain stuns and having to waste turns breaking grapples all the time. Unless you're just about to redo the combat mechanics, can you please come up with some sort of stopgap to reduce this frustration? For instance, don't add any abilities to the game that take away player actions without recourse.

Maybe add some alternative means of breaking grapples/stances. Say a 'distract' power that uses seduction to do damage and try to escape at the same time. Maybe a teleport spell that breaks away for free, then gives you another action at a steep energy cost. Then maybe 'push away' is about breaking all stances. At least then breaking free of stances you don't want to be in as soon as possible isn't always the correct move.

Also, enemies get an unfair advantage when it comes to grapples, since they get to struggle out on the same turn you catch them and never lose actions because the player changed stances.

Last edited:

MotoKuchoma

Nov 3, 2015
Been messing with modding and can't get custom NPCs to work. Whenever I place an NPC for example into the Church, they become a copy of Lilian

Threshold

Sep 2, 2016
Update v9.1 is out fixing many a bug, and other things.
Remember to update your save in options, if you have a save.

Random idea, how about a group sex fetish? Causes extra damage whenever you're in multiple stances or just in general against joint attacks.

EDIT: Tried the latest release. I really want to like this game, but it's so damn frustrating with the chain stuns and having to waste turns breaking grapples all the time. Unless you're just about to redo the combat mechanics, can you please come up with some sort of stopgap to reduce this frustration? For instance, don't add any abilities to the game that take away player actions without recourse.

Maybe add some alternative means of breaking grapples/stances. Say a 'distract' power that uses seduction to do damage and try to escape at the same time. Maybe a teleport spell that breaks away for free, then gives you another action at a steep energy cost. Then maybe 'push away' is about breaking all stances. At least then breaking free of stances you don't want to be in as soon as possible isn't always the correct move.

Also, enemies get an unfair advantage when it comes to grapples, since they get to struggle out on the same turn you catch them and never lose actions because the player changed stances.

Group sex fetish sounds like it could get brutal.

You will be happy to know orgasms don't stun you any more. Bad news is you can currently waste healing items/moves if they make you cum before you use it.
Grapples are about the same though.

Some more options to escape grapples is definitely something I should add.

And for the specific stance thing, I think giving the base version the option to pick which stance to remove or all from a target would be a good idea.

Yeah I should probably have the enemies get affected by interruption the first round they get into the stance.

Been messing with modding and can't get custom NPCs to work. Whenever I place an NPC for example into the Church, they become a copy of Lilian

I checked and it works. So you probably need to add them to the npcList.json, if you already have there may be a typo. That's my best guess.

Sorry no examples of drawings, or I couldn't find them.

Currently the only art in the game is UI and backgrounds.
The erotic content is all in text.

Last edited:

MotoKuchoma

Nov 3, 2015
Yeah any not set comma can completely fuck things up, glad I could find the error with the traceback file.

Also on a side note, there is another inconsistancy I found while modding and its a bit annoying actually. When you make skill dependant on having the making out stance, its hidden in the shop until you have a skill that gets you into the making out stance - this is inconsistent with skills like Face Fuck where you don't need to be actually able to get yourself into a Blowjob stance to acquire it. There is no indication as to why and how this works

Threshold

Sep 2, 2016
Edit: v9.1a hotfix to fix more bugs.

Yeah any not set comma can completely fuck things up, glad I could find the error with the traceback file.

Also on a side note, there is another inconsistancy I found while modding and its a bit annoying actually. When you make skill dependant on having the making out stance, its hidden in the shop until you have a skill that gets you into the making out stance - this is inconsistent with skills like Face Fuck where you don't need to be actually able to get yourself into a Blowjob stance to acquire it. There is no indication as to why and how this works

Not having a comma is better than having too many commas, too many and the error message does not help you.

This is because you have no way to start the blowjob stance.

While for make out you do, and it is so you don't buy a skill that requires a stance you don't have.
I could make it so you can potentially make this error and state when something requires a stance.

Last edited:

MotoKuchoma

Nov 3, 2015
I could, for example, make a skill that starts a blowjob stance and whatnot, and as it stands, you can see but not buy skills whose stat requirements you don't meet but not for prequisite stances. Besides, akin to Blowjob, there are enemies who can put you in the Making Out stance, so you could have a reason to want a counter skill.

What I'm saying is that this behavior is not communicated with the player and/or modder and follows unclear rules. I'd like to see something either in the modding guide or the game that clears up these rules.

Threshold

Sep 2, 2016
I could, for example, make a skill that starts a blowjob stance and whatnot, and as it stands, you can see but not buy skills whose stat requirements you don't meet but not for prequisite stances. Besides, akin to Blowjob, there are enemies who can put you in the Making Out stance, so you could have a reason to want a counter skill.

What I'm saying is that this behavior is not communicated with the player and/or modder and follows unclear rules. I'd like to see something either in the modding guide or the game that clears up these rules.

You make a good point, so for next version I will probably change the viewing/buying restrictions.

And I really need to go back over the mod guide to tune it up and add clarity.
As I'm the one who made the system I don't always realize when thing look like they make no sense or need more information to make sense.
I also need to make sure I have all the things people can do in there, I think I forgot to put a few things in the guide that I added recently.

Threshold

Sep 2, 2016
Is there any way to change your own save data?

I haven't looked into it but I think you can?
You would need to look into how to edit ren'py saves.

or do you mean updating saves to a new game version?

crimsiden

Jul 4, 2016
This is like quickly becoming my favorite adult game lol like just below monster girl quest atm . I am level 35 now tho and still cant beat that demon queen like dude how much health does she have ?

crimsiden

Jul 4, 2016
Update v9.1 is out fixing many a bug, and other things.
Remember to update your save in options, if you have a save.

Group sex fetish sounds like it could get brutal.

You will be happy to know orgasms don't stun you any more. Bad news is you can currently waste healing items/moves if they make you cum before you use it.
Grapples are about the same though.

Some more options to escape grapples is definitely something I should add.

And for the specific stance thing, I think giving the base version the option to pick which stance to remove or all from a target would be a good idea.

Yeah I should probably have the enemies get affected by interruption the first round they get into the stance.

I checked and it works. So you probably need to add them to the npcList.json, if you already have there may be a typo. That's my best guess.

Currently the only art in the game is UI and backgrounds.
The erotic content is all in text.
as for grapple escapes I think a good idea would be to add counter moves or spell reflect skills would be cool if you could do it without making it too op .

Difficulty wise personally I am alright where the game is at. I liked it a bit more when you could get stunned but ya that made demon queen not even possible . What would be neat is adding like a way to scale enemies to your level one day down the road .

Threshold

Sep 2, 2016
as for grapple escapes I think a good idea would be to add counter moves or spell reflect skills would be cool if you could do it without making it too op .

Difficulty wise personally I am alright where the game is at. I liked it a bit more when you could get stunned but ya that made demon queen not even possible . What would be neat is adding like a way to scale enemies to your level one day down the road .

Counters could be a fun idea. I will have to think on that one.

I'm trying to keep the games power curve relatively low. Not sure how that's working out yet.
But next update should make a willpower and power way more viable. Among a ton of other things to combat.

Wait... did you beat the super hard as hell boss at the end of the dungeon? I don't mean the maid.
And scaling up enemies is theoretically possible.

Link for windows version doesn't work.

This has been fixed. Thank you for informing me.

crimsiden

Jul 4, 2016
Counters could be a fun idea. I will have to think on that one.

I'm trying to keep the games power curve relatively low. Not sure how that's working out yet.
But next update should make a willpower and power way more viable. Among a ton of other things to combat.

Wait... did you beat the super hard as hell boss at the end of the dungeon? I don't mean the maid.
And scaling up enemies is theoretically possible.

This has been fixed. Thank you for informing me.
I think I am getting close lol . Also umm not sure if you played it , but desire dungeon which is similar to this game had this neat feature where if you beat a enemy/boss a certain way usually by powering through their strength you get a special skill. That might be cool to add down the road . IE say if you beat alraune through kissing she gives you a unique skill she has . Just a brain storm idea

Threshold

Sep 2, 2016
I think I am getting close lol . Also umm not sure if you played it , but desire dungeon which is similar to this game had this neat feature where if you beat a enemy/boss a certain way usually by powering through their strength you get a special skill. That might be cool to add down the road . IE say if you beat alraune through kissing she gives you a unique skill she has . Just a brain storm idea

Well I didn't really design her to be beaten yet.
I'm actually really curious what level you are and what sort of build your throwing at her.

And yes I have played it, but I don't remember the skill thing.
But acquiring skills other than buying them is something I would like to add, be it npc progression, beating bosses or as you stated specific conditions.
Doing it for every enemy in the game could get problematic though.

crimsiden

Jul 4, 2016
I went full allure and technique . With a bit of luck . Level like 38 with 5/5 SP and 575 AP . Pretty much even at low level with alot of allure everything was dying in one or two seduce/ear tease lol Like by far the strongest build I tried even the maid really wasnt a challenge this play through . For demon queen I used runes to void her charming then numb self to reduce some of the crazy damage she does . I only been about to get 1600 damage on her or so so far tho . hardest part is just trying to get her to put me to sleep right when i am about to cum anyway that way I wake right back up >.> . Hopefully i can win before next build !

Threshold

Sep 2, 2016
And thus v10 is out, almost entirely mechanical changes.
Check the first post for change log and downloads!

crimsiden

Jul 4, 2016
I didnt beat her in time Q.Q Going to try a mage build this time. K love the magic changes. tho theres a weird error when you use magical binding on enemies . Like it goes to the error report but doesnt completely crash the game . You can ignore and continue but im sure i am missing out on a scene .

Last edited:

Threshold

Sep 2, 2016
v10.1 is out to fix issues and balance some things.
Edit: now v10.2 to do even more things.
Edit: Small v10.2a update

Last edited: