[removed]

Crimsom

Oct 5, 2015
Dead thread. Cannot discuss ideas, pipe dreams are bad. Please move on.

Last edited:

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
I'm not going to touch on the lore issues, but the answer simply is going to be no.

Only creators are allowed to write companions, and they're going to be limited to one. Hence, they're going to be writing their own ideas and not yours. Savin isn't going to be writing your idea, since he already has three and has already axed some for the sake of keeping himself sane.

It's best to come to terms with the fact that companion ideas will not be accepted no matter how good they are.

Reactions: Zavos

SoAndSo

Scientist
Creator
Mar 26, 2017
Idea wouldn't work cuz:

1. Every other companion starts off uncorrupted. Suddenly bringing in an imp 'just cuz, fair and balanced, etc' is a huge hole in consistency on multiple levels.

2. He sounds exceedingly token (gotta have a devil on your shoulder, etc) and one-dimensional, not just for being an imp.

3. Imp's are just kinda boring.

But the BIG thing is: unless you specifically funded a writer to write this, it's probably not going to happen. Also would mean funding a writer, not simply doing a lump sum. You'd also be taking away their 'one companion ever' slot. If you think of most companions right now, their upper limit for content is super high (especially if we use Kiyoko as an example) and they'd have to be updated with every quest line or hook and angle that got introduced by other writers.

Probably looking at a several thousand dollar investment, come to think of it @_@

Reactions: Sapphire

Dark67titan

Mar 26, 2016
this is a good example of people not reading the sticky threads(hell you only really need to read the first few posts), if people did read them things like this would not happen(hopefully)

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
If you think of most companions right now, their upper limit for content is super high (especially if we use Kiyoko as an example) and they'd have to be updated with every quest line or hook and angle that got introduced by other writers.

Probably looking at a several thousand dollar investment, come to think of it @_@

I just did a count, Kiyoko is 127,000 words. Kinu at about two-thirds done is 43,000 words, so we'll make that 63,000 words. For me to write those alone would cost $2850 at the very reasonable rate of $15 per 1000 words, which is less than what Wsan or SKOW charge. That's not to mention floof haus, floofquest 1, floofquest 2a and 2b, and companion interactions, AND quest interactions, and so forth.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Well blast it all. I come over to talk about this idea, and find out that we're not allowed to even really talk about this stuff, let alone make a companion, but blast it all I'm going to.

"I'm not allowed to do this, but I'm going to do it anyway!"

That's not how this works.

As Tobs said, this gets a great big "No."

wallpaper

Nov 29, 2017
Hey Crimson, would you consider writing this guy as an NPC encounter instead of a companion? All the hard 'no's above can be pretty discouraging, but I'm a big fan of un-corrupting baddies (or at least swaying antagonists to the character's aims while still allowing them to keep their core values) so I'd be interested.

I think to make this a good NPC, you would want to revisit the concept to add more depth. See more steps between his active opposition to his interest in actively helping (and therefore betraying Kasyrra.) What hard choices would he have to make, and why would he choose to make those sacrifices?

Regardless, be sure to start him off as a one-shot NPC encounter so that if you find that either you don't have the time or the money for 50K, you can have him in the game as a story seed that you could take advantage of later. This way you can also polish the ideas and writing to fit into a reasonable amount of writing. Trim the fat, and all that. It's a major re-adjustment of expectations, and you wouldn't be able to squeeze all of what you want into one scene. However, writing contained scenes will be easier than a full-blown companion, and may still get you what you want in the end. (Eg: Instead of following the companion, he could set up some kind of base out in the wilderness where he houses a growing faction of rebels... maybe he has to be visited to avoid becoming a 3rd party nuisance that hopes to see both you AND Kasyrra ruin one another so he can win the aftermath? There's lots of directions that could go and a lot that you could write without keeping him by the player's side!)

Gardeford

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Even in the face of that, a taboo idea usually isn't the best decision for a first time writer. it'll get you writing practice but probably not into the game. After a showing like this it would need to be pretty exceptional to get back the attention of all the people you turned off by blatantly ignoring the rules.

Regarding unique dialogue I'm pretty sure that's the goal of every companion. Atugia has knowledge of parts of the world the pc has probably never seen. Kiyoko has knowledge of places the pc has Definitely never seen till they meet her, and Brint has knowledge of growing up in khor minos. Having unique dialog is an expectation, not something to brag about. If we get demon followers at all in this game they would probably be end game, and even then it would be more likely to be an earlier follower becoming a demon.