Question About Consumable Item Stack Limits

Equivocate

Apr 24, 2022
So, I was wondering about the difference for certain consumable items with regards to stack limits. What determines it? Writer choice?

For instance:
-Camping Supplies have a stack limit / max of 5 (as of patch 0.4.34).
-Kaelirra's Tears have a stack limit / max of 1.
-Trail Rations have a stack limit / max of 3 (unsure if that figure was subject to any change, the patch notes seem to only mention when they were added).

*I know that Camping Supplies are listed as miscellaneous items, but they tend to operate as consumable items (in a sense), hence their inclusion in the above list. Even without their inclusion Kaelirra's Tears and Trail Rations are still inconsistent when compared with other consumable items.
*Other such notable exceptions with regards to consumable items are: the Bento Box, Pupper Pale Ale, and all of the Tomes. Although, I'd say the exceptions for these items specifically makes sense when considering the design of said items.

Is there a specific reason why it seems as though every other consumable item (barring the aforementioned exceptions) has a stack limit / max of 9? It kind of seems inconsistent with the way it is now (in my opinion).

It would be nice to see Camping Supplies, Kaelirra's Tears and Trail Rations all have a stack limit / max of 9, mostly for quality of life purposes. It feels a bit awkward to try stack certain items for traversing the map and preparing for combat, yet having more restrictions on those items specifically. If that is intentional, then okay, but just a bit curious about the decision.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
Camping supplies are a full-party health/resolve heal out of battle so allowing you to carry so many of them would trivialize parts of the game like the Undermountain. Likewise Kaelirra's Tears is a full revive that you don't even need to activate for the Champ, so limiting those to one per inventory slot reduces the ability of the player to trivialize battles. Trail Rations aren't quite as broken but their effect does grant bonus post-battle healing so there's a logic behind not allowing you to carry so many; compare the Bento Box which is even better and has a limit of one per slot.

Equivocate

Apr 24, 2022
Camping supplies are a full-party health/resolve heal out of battle so allowing you to carry so many of them would trivialize parts of the game like the Undermountain. Likewise Kaelirra's Tears is a full revive that you don't even need to activate for the Champ, so limiting those to one per inventory slot reduces the ability of the player to trivialize battles. Trail Rations aren't quite as broken but their effect does grant bonus post-battle healing so there's a logic behind not allowing you to carry so many; compare the Bento Box which is even better and has a limit of one per slot.
No offense, but I was asking with the intention of developer reply, not community speculation.

I understand that it may make some aspects of the game easier, but I'm asking from a consistency basis (consumable item stack limits / max consistency basis), as implied in my initial post. I was also curious about what determined the stack limits, if it was writer choice or just game balance in general.

Now, counter-speculations:
-If the stack limits for Camping Supplies is already 5, adding another 4 to that is not going make the supposed "trivialization" any less prevalent, no? Also, there is a limit to how many Camping Supplies you can place -- or at least it seemed to be that way at one point in time. Oh, and whilst it's not a full-party health / resolve heal, it's possible that one could carry multiple max stacks (9) of Wyldsap (same process with Kohaku as mentioned below, but no steep inventory pay-off), which would then make the game just as "trivialized", no?

-With regards to Kaelirra's Tears, they're quite difficult to come by, so if one is going to go through the process of collecting them from the rare occurrences in the game, and trying to get them in Kohaku's special stock (which you seemingly can't re-roll, so one would have to supposedly save-scum for a 12,5% chance), it then feels a bit uncomfortable / awkward for the payoff to be so steep with regards to inventory space. Again, same counter argument with multiple Wyldsap (9) stacks for your "trivialization" assertion.

-Now onto the Trail Rations, well, if you read back on what I said with regards to the Bento Box, you'd see that I concluded that is quite a bit different due to the items design (which is why I classified it as an exception, with the other such design related items), the champion only gets 1 Bento Box every three days -- whereas one can go to Leorah and buy the Trail Rations -- so limiting them to 3 just feels a bit odd, in my opinion. It's not as if the player couldn't just use other forms of post combat healing, such as the aforementioned use of stacks of Wyldsap (9) -- it's more about quality of life / convenience sake (also consistency, possibly), at least in my opinion.