programing

Spine

Dec 15, 2016
let me start off by saying that i didn't know whether to post this in the TITS thread or general.

i want to learn how to program a game similar to TITS, but i can't find any information online so if anyone knows of any guides that would help teach me how to program this type of game please tell me.

lighterfluid

Apr 27, 2016
I suggest you start off with python, focus on objects then branch off to java.
Fuck around on the net readin'. (Y'ask me, a good deal of programming is how you approach problems. And I don't know if there really is a way to get that way of thinking other than practice.)

CallistheCalloused

Nov 5, 2015
Sure this is asked often but no one ever actually gives useful advice like they think you just learn code and there's going to be some obvious blueprint to how to make CoC or TiTs. Setting up the framework of menus and whatnot is actually more involved and a lot of mess. creating a CYOA style 'game'(and i use that term loosely) is hard because each 'page' has to have options and layouts and whatnot unless you figure out a overall framework to do the work for you.

My advice would be to look for frameworks or interface tutorials once you understand how to make get the menus and buttons and get them to do what you want you should be able to go from there.

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
Sure this is asked often but no one ever actually gives useful advice like they think you just learn code and there's going to be some obvious blueprint to how to make CoC or TiTs. Setting up the framework of menus and whatnot is actually more involved and a lot of mess. creating a CYOA style 'game'(and i use that term loosely) is hard because each 'page' has to have options and layouts and whatnot unless you figure out a overall framework to do the work for you.

My advice would be to look for frameworks or interface tutorials once you understand how to make get the menus and buttons and get them to do what you want you should be able to go from there.

I'm pretty sure at least one person answers with the same intensity as you have in those threads. Also interface design is fickle depending on your platform, so simple programming would probably be much better, because that's where you learn your thought process. Besides, there exist tools for this purpose specifically, albeit without all the fancy visual bells and whistles of TiTS

http://inform7.com

Pixelmancer

Jan 8, 2016
let me start off by saying that i didn't know whether to post this in the TITS thread or general.

i want to learn how to program a game similar to TITS, but i can't find any information online so if anyone knows of any guides that would help teach me how to program this type of game please tell me.
Codecademy.com is an excellent place. They don't have Action Script, but they do have various other languages that will do the job fine, like HTML5/Javascript and Python and such.