Planets and Levels

Gabranth

Apr 26, 2023
Hello Cpts., long time player here :)
Something's been on my mind ever since the lvl 13 update dropped:
Lvl 20 was supposed to be the max level we'd ever get iirc, of course, back then we were also supposed to visit 10 planets in the main story, and that changed (for various reasons).

I guess my question is:
Is lvl 20 still set to be the max lvl ever obtainable?
(Side note: pls pls pls, get a 2nd look at those lvl 13 perks)

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
I was hoping for a Dev comment, but no luck so far, huh?

I'm guessing Level 14 will be the final cap. We have 1 more dungeon to go and I'm betting the enemies there will be higher level.
There's also a Level 14 NPC already in the game.

If you want to rant about comment on the Level 13 Perks, there's a thread for that.

Gabranth

Apr 26, 2023
I was hoping for a Dev comment, but no luck so far, huh?

I'm guessing Level 14 will be the final cap. We have 1 more dungeon to go and I'm betting the enemies there will be higher level.
There's also a Level 14 NPC already in the game.

If you want to rant about comment on the Level 13 Perks, there's a thread for that.
Thread died at birth lol.
Don't know what comes post MQ, but I doubt it justifies max lvl ≥ 14.

Revive the lvl 13 thread brother, it was interesting.

Bast

Aug 12, 2021
Doctor Lash is level 15 even, but I wouldn't place my bets on the player level ever being raised to that, or 14 even. The game gets easier and easier as Steele levels up and so far enemy encounters on Phaedra 2 already feel very facerolley.

I wouldn't wanna waste time and resources on designing additional levels for the classes, when there is just no need for it. But I'm not FenCo, so who knows? shrug

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
Doctor Lash is level 15 even, but I wouldn't place my bets on the player level ever being raised to that, or 14 even. The game gets easier and easier as Steele levels up and so far enemy encounters on Phaedra 2 already feel very facerolley.
Dr. Lash is supposed to be unbeatable, though (and they've raised his level at least once). Or at least a difficult fight. Not that it stopped people from finding ways to consistently defat him. Also, you play Drone Smuggler. If I'm not mistaken, you're taking advantage of an interaction that I'm 99% sure is unintended, if not an actual bug.

The message saying maximum level will be increased is still there. Either there will be at least one more level, or it's an oversight.

Don't know what comes post MQ, but I doubt it justifies max lvl ≥ 14.
The Probe isn't in the Train Dungeon, so the 2nd is not 'post MQ'.

Revive the lvl 13 thread brother, it was interesting.
It's not locked and definitely isn't old enough to count as thread necromancy.

Last edited:

Bast

Aug 12, 2021
Also, you play Drone Smuggler. If I'm not mistaken, you're taking advantage of an interaction that I'm 99% sure is unintended, if not an actual bug.
Woah, getting called out for my builds almost takes me back to the good old days of competitive pvp.

I play at least some of the other classes too, but definitely not enough to make valid comments on their strengths and weaknesses. You do though - I would assume. And if I'm assuming wrong, then I'm sorry in advance.

So you might know that now on a regular melee smuggler Lash takes 3 turns, on a bleed stacking drone smuggler he takes 2. And even the number of turns does not matter, when Steele never gets hit since the true strength of smuggler lies in just that, since evasion and blind are totally broken in this game. I don't know what they were thinking when they raised the evasion cap for smugglers to 60%. Was already good enough at 50.
Since you seem to be checking out my builds, then maybe you still have one of my save files lying around. Take the drones off of Bicci and fight Lash with only Flash Grenade spam. You'll run out of energy before Steele gets actually hurt.

But other than that: Yeah, I'm also relatively sure that at least bleed stacking shouldn't be a thing with combat drone items. It should be with the tail whip though since it's part of Steele.

Last edited:

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
Woah, getting called out for my builds almost takes me back to the good old days of competitive pvp.
I'm not saying you're Doing It Wrong (it's a single-player game, go nuts). I'm just saying taking such an outlier as a balance point would be a mistake.

I play at least some of the other classes too, but definitely not enough to make valid comments on their strengths and weaknesses. You do though - I would assume. And if I'm assuming wrong, then I'm sorry in advance.
I do. I'm currently doing another round of playthroughs after the balance changes. (Ex: Charge Weapon & Deep Freeze nerfs.)

So you might know that now on a regular melee smuggler Lash takes 3 turns, on a bleed stacking drone smuggler he takes 2.
That, I did not know. I don't generally fight Lash, so I don't know how other builds stack up.
His stats are actually pretty bad for a Level 15 enemy:
35 Physique, making him extremely vulnerable to a lot of status attacks. 50/50 for most at Level 7 and auto-fail at 12.
60 Reflexes gives him 50/50 at Level 12. 62.5/37.5 at Level 13. Flash Grenade should almost always land, assuming you have 65 Aim.
45 Aim means he has 12 less effective Accuracy than if he'd maxed it out.
75 Intelligence does nothing for him. I don't think he uses it in any way, and I can't think of any player attack that targets it.
70 Willpower just makes him harder to Tease.
Seems like they could probably stand to buff him again.

I don't know what they were thinking when they raised the evasion cap for smugglers to 60%. Was already good enough at 50.
Used to be 90% (which was entirely doable by Dhaal). Still is with Stealth Field Generator.

Since you seem to be checking out my builds...
I posted in one of your bug reports and saw Smuggler and Drone. Not much reason to use Drones on a Smuggler otherwise.

But other than that: Yeah, I'm also relatively sure that at least bleed stacking shouldn't be a thing with combat drone items. It should be with the tail whip though since it's part of Steele.
For a while, they got Charge Weapon after the CW nerf. That was a bug that got fixed.
I'm all for Drones being a viable choice for more than Techs, but full stacking is a bit much. And it only applies to Sneak Attack, IIRC.

The game is fairly easy if you know what you're doing, yes.
Factors:
1. 13 Stat points on Level Up leaves Steele with at least 2 weaknesses. 5 if the player decides to make Steele well-rounded.
2. It's possible to max out all stats anyway but they can't balance around assuming everyone does that.
3. The delay in adding levels. 11 & 12 weren't in until the Dhaal dungeon was finished, which meant it had to be completable at Level 10.

On the other hand, I've seen people come on here and complain the game is too hard.

Reactions: Bast

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Is lvl 20 still set to be the max lvl ever obtainable?
No. It'll likely be 13, since the only thing left in the MSQ is the final area/dungeon/bosses. Maybe somehow 15 if there's any side content added afterwards, but if it goes higher than 13 there's currently no design documentation for it.

• Wow
Reactions: Gabranth

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
No. It'll likely be 13, since the only thing left in the MSQ is the final area/dungeon/bosses. Maybe somehow 15 if there's any side content added afterwards, but if it goes higher than 13 there's currently no design documentation for it.
You’ve already reached the current maximum level. It will be raised in future builds.
If the level cap is going to remain 13, you might want to disable this notice.

And I gotta say, Inverted Decay & Void Sight feel like low-level abilities. They'd be a lot more useful if you got them earlier. As it is, you've already gotten past most encounters that use Blind/Poison/Aphrodisiacs.
Psychic Slam & Gravity Crush feel more like capstones/ultimate moves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabranth

Gabranth

Apr 26, 2023
I suspected as much.

Too bad the perks don't really scream "endgame" (loving the Molten Shot ability tho, my compliments to the chef)

Anyways, I'm curious as to what comes next.