Persona 5

Eyero

Sep 27, 2015
First of all, for those of you who know what Persona is...

WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE!? GET YOUR ASS OVER TO PLAYSTATION STORE AND BUY THIS SHIT.

Ahem.

For those of you that don't know what Persona is...

It's basically what crystal meth would be if you could turn it into a video game.

maxresdefault.jpg

Seriously, though, it's a lot of things. It's a dungeon-crawling RPG. It's a really good Pokemon clone. It's a visual novel. It's a dating sim. It's a time management game.

It's an Experience.

I won't spoil anything here, but the premise is that you're living a year in the life of a typical Japanese high-schooler who just had to transfer from his hometown school to one in Tokyo because of... reasons (which are explained in detail, but like I said, no spoilers).

So during the day, you go to school, hang out around town, boost your stats and get to know the myriad (and very well-written) characters around town better, forging friendships and possibly more (like I said, dating sim- Japan's gotta... uh... Japan, after all- no gay options, though, so if that's up your particular alley, sorry to disappoint).

And during the evenings, you go into alternate universes and beat the shit out of the manifestations of evil people's twisted desires to force them into pulling moral heel-face turns.

Yeah. Like I said, it's Japan.

The actual gameplay boils down to typical crawler fare, if said fare got drunk and had a steaming romp with Metal Gear Solid- ambushing enemies in the overworld is encouraged, and if you get detected too many times before you start a fight, you get booted from the dungeon for the day due to the place's security going into overdrive. And in a game with a finite amount of time available, even wasting one time slot of a day can bite you later.

Let me put it this way- you're not expected to 100% this game until AT LEAST a couple of NG+ runs in.

Deadlines are a big part of gameplay here; you're expected to beat your first dungeon within two weeks of it opening, or bad shit will happen- and not cute "oh, funny alt ending" shit, I mean "My life is legitimately ruined and I cannot come back from this" shit. But on the other hand, rushing right in is an excellent way to find out just how easy it is for the enemies in this game to garotte cocky idiots with their own trachea.

The trick is to strike a balance between improving yourself in the real world and probing further into the dungeon of the day ( you're expected to beat them over the course of several days, so don't leave it all until the last day before the bad ending smacks you in the face with a sack of dead babies).

Technically speaking, the art style is pretty typical anime style, with well-polished cutscenes and classy character portraits. The UI is... well, more inspired than I think anyone was expecting- I don't think anyone thought that Atlus could make your MC's goddamned SILHOUETTE do all the work of a standard turn-based RPG combat menu.

As for the soundtrack, it's a nice balance between Jazz and J-Pop- have a sample so you get the idea (this is the song that plays in the prologue. THE PROLOGUE. And it gets BETTER from here).

Anyways, enough of me getting gamer jizz all over this thread. Give it a look if you own a PS4, and thank me later.

Last edited:

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
They have no interest in the western market, by and large. They're a japanese developer, making games for japanese people. If the japanese started playing more on PC, they would port it to PC.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
Yes, but this is Japan we're talking about. There's still that "Gaijin" mentality prevalent, except for perhaps amongst youths.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
The birthplace of Sony and Nintendo predominantly play Sony and Nintendo. Surprise surprise.

Cultural trends are always interesting. America invented Hollywood Cinema and we're the biggest producers and consumers of movies, for example. And I mean like actually physically going to the movie theater.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
China is starting to beat the US in that department, at least in the consuming bit, dunno about the producing bit.
They do make alot of movies in China. Especially war movies (guess which war). They're not exactly "Saving Private Ryan" or "Apocalypse Now"... more like cheap action flicks with some racial (guess which) stereotypes.

Number13

Aug 26, 2015
Either way, Persona 5 is an excellent game. Heck, my avatar plays a minor part within the game.

Bocoom

Dec 31, 2015
strange I always see people talk about persona 4 to no end. I don't think I ever heard people even mention 5. The only Megaten game I have played is devil survivor and Shin Megami Tensei 1 and 2. I would be lying if I said in not curious of this game.

Eyero

Sep 27, 2015
strange I always see people talk about persona 4 to no end. I don't think I ever heard people even mention 5. The only Megaten game I have played is devil survivor and Shin Megami Tensei 1 and 2. I would be lying if I said in not curious of this game.

Biased party here, obviously, but I'd say it's worth a look, even if this IS my first Persona game. Granted, figuring out how to use your time efficiently can be a bitch while you're still learning your way around the overworld (along with which events require which social stats to unlock), especially for a dumbass like me who tries to chug through palaces as fast as possible to free up time for building stats and confidant arcanas.

But since social stats and gear carry over into NG+, I'll probably have a much smoother run of it the next time around- though since each run is supposedly +100 hours if you're not rushing through things, I've still got a bit of a ways to go :)

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015

It probably helps it came out recently.

djunk101

Oct 6, 2015
PC-gaming seems to be virtually non-existant in Japan.

From what I've heard, it's because a decent PC setup takes up too much space. A lot of people in Japan don't have the kind of space in their home necessary to devote to something like that (due to the high density population making large living spaces expensive), so smaller things like consoles are better for their life-style. It's the same reason you'll often hear that the reason the 360 failed spectacularly in Japan was because they thought it was too bulky.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
From what I've heard, it's because a decent PC setup takes up too much space. A lot of people in Japan don't have the kind of space in their home necessary to devote to something like that (due to the high density population making large living spaces expensive), so smaller things like consoles are better for their life-style. It's the same reason you'll often hear that the reason the 360 failed spectacularly in Japan was because they thought it was too bulky.
Yes, I can imagine a 25 sqm apartment is tricky to have a PC set up in. I've also heard they like playing games sitting down on the floor, though I can't verify this.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
Trying to live in a Tokyo apartment is impossible. I pay 500USD a month for a bedroom, bathroom, living room, and kitchen in a small town. In Japan you pay 1000 for less than a room.

Last edited:

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
I hate big cities... And yeah, I pay about the same as you. (albeit in different currency)

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
Hell, my parents live in Los fucking Angeles and they pay 1500 for a 3/2.

Bocoom

Dec 31, 2015
It probably helps it came out recently.

Well shit. And here I thought their was a ton of them like Final Fantasy. I think I must have it confused with other spin offs.

djunk101

Oct 6, 2015
Well shit. And here I thought their was a ton of them like Final Fantasy. I think I must have it confused with other spin offs.
Persona itself is actually a spinoff of the Shin Megami Tensei series. I've never played the main series myself, but I've tried several of the spinoff series in addition to Persona, like Demikids on GBA (my first experience with SMT) and Devil Summoner 2 on PS2.