[Not Bug] Varmint Issues

Discussion in 'Fixed' started by Samurai-Fenrir, Jun 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samurai-Fenrir

Maybe I'm in a minority here, but having gotten a whole new computer recently, and somehow failing to transfer my TiTS save files over, I have been rebuilding my file and run into an issue, I have brought a Varmint onto my ship, I have selected Tame, I have spoken to Nat and gotten her dialogue regarding the Varmint, but have no option to ask her assistance in taming it, I HAVE Silicone, I have spoken to her, I have chosen tame, but have not yet gotten an option to get her assistance in taming it, nor have been able TO Tame it, I'm worried something broke somewhere since the last time I did this, Is this a genuine bug? Or am I just missing something crucial here that I've forgotten in the last few years?

2. Theron

Theron Well-Known Member

Just tried it. Choosing Nat's Varmint dialog automatically moved us back to the ship and tamed it.

Post a save file?

3. Paradox01

Paradox01 Well-Known Member

If I'm not in the same boat as you, I'm certainly paddling in the same waters. My laptop recently shit the bed and the hard drive was unrecoverable. I got a new (and better) HD, but I've lost all progress in the game (left off Level 10, almost all side quests completed except the most recent within the past few weeks).

I'm pretty heartbroken because I hate redoing shit. Years ago, I completed about 85% of Tiger Woods Golf 2005 (OG XBox) when I lent my console to a friend and he accidentally deleted my save.

Never touched the game again.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Malidica

Malidica Well-Known Member

ex-friend*

Paradox01 likes this.
  5. Paradox01

Eh, the worst part is, he was my best friend. Not that we stopped being best friends because of that, but it did make it harder to stay mad when I had every right to be.

Anyway, didn't mean to derail the thread.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Samurai-Fenrir

That's the trick, it comes to her dialogue ABOUT the varmint, but doesn't give an option to go tame it, and this is the Varmint Dialogue I get, even while holding Silicone on my person, and having killed the previous Varmint and getting a new one turned loose on my ship.

"

“So, tell me a little about you, Nat,” you prompt.

“M-me?” she stammers, blinking in surprise. “What do you wanna know?”

You think for a moment before saying, “Tell me about some of the creatures you’ve worked with.”

“But there’s so many!” Nat laughs. “I’m really lucky: I’ve gotten to handle thousands of different species from across the galaxy. The Vesperian Royal Zoo had the most amazing collection, and they’d let us students come over pretty much whenever to handle them. I think the staff appreciated the help, and we loved getting to handle the exotic species.”

She hums happily to herself, thinking back with a growing smile. “Let’s see... probably the most interesting critter I ever got to work with was this huge, blue silicon-based life form. It was kind of like a dog, but with spikes all over, teeny little vestigial eyes, and a tail longer than it’s body and covered with razor spines. Looked like something out of a horror movie... but oh, she was just the sweetest little thing! Give her some android-grade silicone to munch on, and she’d just be putty in your arms. Those beauties really make friends for life, too: they imprint like ducks, see, and their memory lasts for decades! Every time I go back to Vesperia I swing by the zoo, and they all recognize me like we saw each other yesterday!”

These creatures she’s talking about... “They’re not from New Texas, are they?”

“They are!” Nat nods, eagerly. “Varmints, the New Texans call ‘em. Apparently they’re descended from a species of macro predators that fought against the colonists for decades. Really changed the way the whole planet’s ecology and terraforming process went, since the ‘varmints’ were almost impossible to kill. The col-”

Before she can launch off into the story in full, you put a hand up to indicate you’d like to speak. Natalie trails off, muttering “-lo. nists....” into her mug before falling silent. You take the opportunity to mention a little blue problem you’ve left aboard your ship. While the varmint hasn’t caused too much trouble, it certainly isn’t comforting having a snarling, razor-toothed beast stalking around the corridors.

“Crikey, how’d you get it off New Texas?” Nat gawks. “You’ve gotta have a permit, and special dispensation, and-”

You shrug, saying that you sort of just walked off the planet with it. Customs didn’t exactly stop you... then again, you vaguely recall Amma was busy snowballing one of her bull-man’s loads with some ginger spacer sprawled over her desk when you wandered past. Ogram might have been a little distracted.

Nat blushes, covering her mouth with a hand to suppress a laugh. “O-oh wow. Um, that’s New Texas alright. So you’ve just got a varmint running wild on your ship, Nathan?”

You nod, and Nat grimaces. “You, uh, you should probably do something about that. Varmints can eat through machinery if they get too hungry. Or scared. Making a warp jump probably traumatized the poor thing, too! Go find a tub of silicone or something — I can help you if you want.”

So yeaaaaah, the button after that just continues with the talk button, so no clue what's jamming this up. >.<

7. Theron

Theron Well-Known Member

That should add a 'Varmint' button next to 'Talk'. Does it not?

8. Malidica

Yeah you tried to tame it yourself, that option is separate, you have to just have one loose in the cargohold, just leave it alone and then go talk to Nat.

9. Samurai-Fenrir

Killed newest one, went back, got one, left it alone in cargo hold, went to Nat, still no dice. >.< Herein lies my concern with if something got fudged in the code, presently running backers build with no luck.
    Yes I've done a little file tweaking, but nothing I'd expect to screw with the Varmint as nothing I've touched, TO MY KNOWLEDGE, interacts with it, and didn't in the past. *Flat ears* Yargh. >.<
    Gonna enclose save file and pray it leads to something. I know this is a relatively small thing, but I miss my pet combat beastie.

Attached Files:

10. Paradox01

Not quite right. If you're not a Bimbo, [Try to Tame] just gives you the "Maybe you should find a professional..." prompt. Same end result as [Leave It].

I tried your save, Fenrir, and now I'm pissed off. Killed the existing Varmint and caught another, flew around til it got loose, then flew to Uveto. I've got 8 Silicone in inventory, no Varmint Leash. Playing V 0.8.089.

Approach Varmint under [Crew] tab. Tried both [Leave It] and [Try to Tame] before talking to Natalie. Talked to Natalie til my finger was about to fall the fuck off and I never got anything but the [Talk] button, even after talking to Nat about varmints.

Nathan 1.png

I checked the save file in TiTSEd:

Nathan 2.png
    Nathan 3.png

I don't think the code is recognizing the fact that I have silicone in my inventory. Then again, that's just a guess, I'm no coder.

#10 Paradox01, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  11. Theron

Theron Well-Known Member

For some reason, Need_Silicone, Talk_Monsters and Tames_Varmint have been changed (they're Bold), but have no value.

Undefining (clicking the red X) Nataile_Need_Silicone, Nataile_Talk_Monsters and Nataile_Tames_Varmint allows you to progress normally.

Did you know it's impossible to add a file when editing a post? I didn't!
    Edit: Turns out I can, and I didn't see it. It's in a different place than I expected, I guess. It seemed odd I couldn't. Thanks @Malidica!

Also, be sure you're using the latest version of the Editor: 0.30.8.
    0.30.6 gave me errors when editing your save.

#11 Theron, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    Paradox01 likes this.
  12. Paradox01

So a flag can have no value but that's not necessarily the same as Undefined. Interesting, and good to know. Thanks, Theron.

@Samurai-Fenrir, I've set the values Theron and I were talking about to Undefined, saved it, and reuploaded the save file. I tested it out and I did indeed get the [Varmint] option when talking to Nat. The save I uploaded starts from where you left off; on your ship. You're GTG.

Attached Files:

13. Malidica

Yes you can, but you need to click 'more options'.

Paradox01 and Theron like this.
  14. Samurai-Fenrir

Appreciated guys, I'll try fiddling with the values in a little bit, and Yeah you see my frustration @Theron , I've made some progress since then, so I'll have to set them manually myself, but seriously your aid is SUPREMELY appreciated, again wondering if it's a coding bug in the newest Backers Build or something(because 1's and 0's are fucking HARD, and no this isn't a jibe, I tried coding way back then and, yeah, no, I do NOT have the patience for that, writing elaborate long scenes of RP or Smut, easy and fun, coding? Yeah no, fuck that I'll leave it to people more apt than I) >.<

15. Samurai-Fenrir

Thank you @Theron and @Paradox01 , worked like a charm, instantly correct, whoo! Again thank you, as Paradox can attest, having tested the file, the infuriating repetition of this was driving me mad.....well ok, more so.

Paradox01 likes this.
  16. Paradox01

Glad I could help, Fenrir, and I'm glad it's not a bug.

I also learned Blank ≠ Undefined, so thanks, Theron.

Samurai-Fenrir likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.