Nice to meet you, now about CoC2

Etherwolf

Sep 11, 2018
Reality
That's enough with greetings. It's been a long while coming for me to make an account since I'm always looking at this or that on this site, but soon as I return after so long I see there's work being done on a CoC2. That raises the question...

Why work on a CoC2 instead of expanding CoC1? I'm not asking this because I want an expansion or I'm disappointed in a new adventure or anything, don't get me wrong. On the contrary, I'm not bothered at all by it and am really excited. I'm asking this based on a design standpoint, really. Based on the CoC2 design thread, I assume it mostly has to do with the involved technology since it's not Flash but Javascript, and I also assume that it'd be more work than necessary to convert CoC from Flash to Javascript. Is that really all? Or did Savin decide that it's time to just move on from CoC to develop something new?

I'm probably just needlessly prying and for that I apologize, but I'm truly curious. Corruption of Champions interested me not just because of the RPG monster girl-smashing nonsense, but also because of what it is. From the position of someone who's never seen something like it before that first time however many years ago that I began playing it, the game is like an achievable accomplishment attained by anyone who puts in the time and effort to developing it. To be able to create something like CoC is impressive, no matter how you look at it. It even a little bit inspired me to want to make something like it.

That said, it's why I'm curious as to why a new game is being made instead of the older one being improved and expanded. The reason could be grand or it could be simple. I'd just like to discuss it is all, as an aspiring creator. :D

BubbleLord

Scientist
Creator
Jun 24, 2016
CoC1 finished development ages ago.

Reactions: Emerald

Etherwolf

Sep 11, 2018
Reality

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
Oh, I know. Still, it's completely possible to do more with it which is why I'm asking.
Technical stuff:
  • Bad codebase that is a pain in the ass to extend/maintain.
  • It's Flash which is dead and shitty and it would be a massive undertaking to redo everything in JS.
  • Adding backwards compatibility for any new features would be more work than creating the systems for the feature itself.
  • There's heaps of bugs I'd have to fix for code I didn't write, this takes lots of time.
Non-technical stuff:
  • The game contains content that would have to be removed in order for us to get funding.
  • Any changes we made would be met with even more backlash since we would be changing the existing CoC that people still love.
  • Tone. CoC is a bit of a hot mess, we are going for a more reigned in, cohesive, and deep setting and narrative.
  • Story conflict. For example, in CoC minotaurs are fuck crazy and have addictive cum. In CoC2 they are the most advanced intellectually of the common races and don't have addictive cum*.
I could go on, but some of these points even by themselves justify making a new game rather than extending an old one. It's sort of like asking Bethesda why they made FO4 instead of just continuing to make DLC for FO3 (quality of the games themselves aside).

ALSO: There are people who are continuing to do more with it. There are a few different independent modder groups that still make non-canon content for the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShySquare and Zavos